Register now !    Login  
Main Menu
Who's Online
107 user(s) are online (99 user(s) are browsing Message Forum)

Members: 0
Guests: 107

more...

Browsing this Thread:   1 Anonymous Users

Re: Man plummets to his death from 26th floor of Jersey City building on waterfront
Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
3/21 23:34
Group:
Registered Users
There are people who jump from buildings the world over...they can't be stopped if they are inclined to do so. Windows can be broken. The thing is most every building has some history of deaths...people dying of natural causes, accidents, or worse yet time diminishes these events and people live in these buildings completely unaware of this stuff...Think of the residential buildings in downtown JC that were once funeral parlors such as 4th & Jersey etc...Everyplace has strange footnotes attached.

Posted on: 2014/2/24 15:05

Re: Man plummets to his death from 26th floor of Jersey City building on waterfront
Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

Hide User information
Last Login :
2019/8/21 0:12
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

TheBigGuy wrote:

I agree with your nanny state view, but there are building codes for residential towers and my concern are about pedestrians or accidents with kids. There are lot of jumpers in Newport and if I was a landlord, I would be concerned about liability.

And I'd be concerned that dead men don't pay rent, and rooms where someone just easily leaped to their death might not sell so quickly.

/appealtoblackandwhitefreemarketthinkerswithnocompassion

Posted on: 2014/2/24 13:17

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2016/10/21 19:48
Group:
Registered Users
People are allowed to have fresh air, even in high rises.

Posted on: 2014/2/14 0:36

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2020/4/26 22:05
Group:
Registered Users
And, do you not see the disconnect in what you are saying?? If someone is jumping off a bridge, they HAVE to get there first. That's not an impulse! That was a calculated decision, which involved heading somewhere, actually getting there, and then walking to a point where you can jump off. How is that an impulse?

Stop with the non-sense. How did our parents manage to live long enough to have us? Or, our grandparents?? It wasn't because they were coddled and protected from every imaginable threat or risk.

Posted on: 2014/2/14 0:01

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2015/12/30 14:17
From Paulus Hook
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

caj11 wrote:
This is definitely a tragedy and I'm sorry to hear that it happened. But the fact remains, if you really want to kill yourself, you'll find one way or another to do it. The windows are not the issue.

Actually, that's not true. There are a lot of studies on this issue. Most suicides are impulse moves, and even action to make a particular type of suicide more difficult will reduce suicides overall.

Suicides dropped dramatically in Britain when they switched from coal heat to gas heat in the 1950s, which made it a lot harder to commit suicide in your home by carbon monoxide poisoning. Suicides overall in San Francisco dropped when they erected larger barriers on the Golden Gate Bridge. The suicide rate (not only by gun, but in general--though the increase is entirely in suicide-by-gun) is higher in places with higher rates of gun ownership.

Posted on: 2014/2/13 22:58

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2020/5/9 11:15
Group:
Registered Users
[quote]
TheBigGuy wrote:

I agree with your nanny state view, but there are building codes for residential towers and my concern are about pedestrians or accidents with kids. There are lot of jumpers in Newport and if I was a landlord, I would be concerned about liability.

quote]
Can cite statistics that there are a lot of jumpers in Newport?

Posted on: 2014/2/13 21:44

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
1/29 17:59
Group:
Registered Users

quote]
bodhipooh wrote:
Actually, I think his attitude is more like "WHY DO YOU WANT EVERYONE TO LIVE IN HOME PRISONS?" Who are you (or, anyone else) to dictate how my windows should work?? Whatever happened to common sense? If someone wants to jump to his/her death, they will find a way. Stop with the nanny state, knee-jerk reactions. [/quote]

Posted on: 2014/2/13 21:05

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2016/1/31 23:18
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

bodhipooh wrote:
Actually, I think his attitude is more like "WHY DO YOU WANT EVERYONE TO LIVE IN HOME PRISONS?" Who are you (or, anyone else) to dictate how my windows should work?? Whatever happened to common sense? If someone wants to jump to his/her death, they will find a way. Stop with the nanny state, knee-jerk reactions.

+1. If you own a high-rise condo and you're restricted as a grown adult as to how you can open your windows in case your guest jumps, that f*cking nuts and loses the entire point. There are terraces, do we gate them? There are baths, do we make sure they don't fill it and drown themselves in it? Losing the point entirely here. May he rest in peace.

Posted on: 2014/2/13 21:01

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2020/4/26 22:05
Group:
Registered Users
Actually, I think his attitude is more like "WHY DO YOU WANT EVERYONE TO LIVE IN HOME PRISONS?" Who are you (or, anyone else) to dictate how my windows should work?? Whatever happened to common sense? If someone wants to jump to his/her death, they will find a way. Stop with the nanny state, knee-jerk reactions.

Posted on: 2014/2/13 20:38

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
Group:
Registered Users

Anything you can do reasonably to limit options is a good thing... My point is if 90% of these victims are going through windows,that's something to correct before an innocent walker gets killed. There are plenty of ways to kill yourself, let's eliminate the prevalent options. There are way too many people using that method. Your attitude sounds like, why try?
Quote:

PathH8Tr wrote:
Quote:

TheBigGuy wrote:

It most certainly does... It is a shame people kill themselves but if you can eliminate window jumping by restricting how they open,it might give the person a moment of clarity. Look at changes PATH put in to stop suicide by train. It is lucky no one on the sidewalks are hurt.

Quote:

JCishome wrote:
You're blaming the windows?? It's very sad when someone is in such despair that they'll do this, but it has nothing to do with how easy it is to open a window.

These high-rises have terraces too, no? A moment of clarity squeezing through a tight window will have you walk over to the terrace. I'm not sure that's the problem....

Posted on: 2014/2/13 20:31

Not too shy to talk
Not too shy to talk

Hide User information
Last Login :
2018/2/20 16:05
From Jersey City
Group:
Registered Users
Unfortunately we see this quite often among young people from other cultures who come to the US to study and find they cannot cope with the pressure. NYU has experienced an epidemic of suicides lately. Too often its the guilt on the financial burden they had put on their family especially if their studies are not going well.

Posted on: 2014/2/13 20:11

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2023/10/30 19:51
Group:
Registered Users
This is definitely a tragedy and I'm sorry to hear that it happened. But the fact remains, if you really want to kill yourself, you'll find one way or another to do it. The windows are not the issue.

Posted on: 2014/2/13 19:22

Hide User information
Last Login :
2014/3/24 17:09
From Newport
Group:
Registered Users
The window was wide open - there was no window guards on it. Not all windows have guards on them in Newport, which they most definitely should.

Posted on: 2014/2/13 18:15

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2023/6/11 23:48
From Western Slope
Group:
Registered Users
Stuff happenes in life. This foreign national was bogged down with too many pressures that he could not juggle. Being lonely probable didn't help him either. Actually there are many of these "students" in different parts of J.C. I see them late at night at the supermarkets. And many of them live in illegal apartments, they are trained to not to speak to locals so these housing units are not revealed to the general public. This causes lots of problems across the board and puts others innthier wake at risk.

Posted on: 2014/2/13 17:20
Get on your bikes and ride !

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2017/4/18 17:32
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

TheBigGuy wrote:

It most certainly does... It is a shame people kill themselves but if you can eliminate window jumping by restricting how they open,it might give the person a moment of clarity. Look at changes PATH put in to stop suicide by train. It is lucky no one on the sidewalks are hurt.

Quote:

JCishome wrote:
You're blaming the windows?? It's very sad when someone is in such despair that they'll do this, but it has nothing to do with how easy it is to open a window.

I'm not a mental health professional, and I've fortunately never had suicidal thoughts, but it seems to me that if you're that far down in a hole, you wouldn't hesitate to break the window to jump out of it. Anyway, may this young man rest in peace.

Posted on: 2014/2/13 16:51

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2016/1/31 23:18
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

TheBigGuy wrote:

Quote:

JCishome wrote:

These high-rises have terraces too, no? A moment of clarity squeezing through a tight window will have you walk over to the terrace. I'm not sure that's the problem....

Posted on: 2014/2/13 15:54

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2018/10/5 14:16
Group:
Registered Users
What should young people do with their lives today? Many things, obviously. But the most daring thing is to create stable communities in which the terrible disease of loneliness can be cured.

-Kurt Vonnegut

Posted on: 2014/2/13 15:27

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
Group:
Registered Users

Quote:

JCishome wrote:

Posted on: 2014/2/13 14:44

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2017/12/28 0:40
Group:
Registered Users
He was a student at Stevens

Posted on: 2014/2/13 1:43

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2019/12/26 15:30
From GV Bayside Park
Group:
Registered Users
The man who plunged to his death from the 26th floor of an apartment building in Jersey City's Newport section yesterday was a foreign national, according to Jersey City police spokesman Bob McHugh.

Police have delayed releasing information about the incident at 20 River Court because it has been difficult to determine whether the man's next-of-kin has been notified of his death, McHugh said.

At around 5 p.m. yesterday, police cordoned off the area where the man struck the ground. An official said yesterday that there was no information to suggest the man's death was suspicious.

At 1 p.m. today, business seemed to have returned to normal at 20 River Court, with some residents saying they had heard what happened and other residents saying they hadn't.

NJ.COM

Posted on: 2014/2/12 23:16

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2015/12/30 14:17
From Paulus Hook
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

JCishome wrote:

It's not clear from the news reporting I've seen that this was suicide and not an accident.

Posted on: 2014/2/12 15:42

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2017/4/18 17:32
Group:
Registered Users

Posted on: 2014/2/12 14:14

Hide User information
Last Login :
2014/3/24 17:09
From Newport
Group:
Registered Users
I walked by 10 minutes after it happened and saw the body. Very very sad - my thoughts and prayers are with the family and Newport community. I hope we learn more about why and how this happened so we can somehow try to prevent from happening again.

Posted on: 2014/2/12 4:21

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
Group:
Registered Users
Seems like someone is jumping from a building in Newport every 6 months... What is up with the windows in those buildings that they open so easily?

Posted on: 2014/2/12 2:08

Man plummets to his death from 26th floor of Jersey City building on waterfront
Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2019/12/26 15:30
From GV Bayside Park
Group:
Registered Users
A man plummeted to his death from the 26th floor of a building in Jersey City?s Newport section on the Hudson River waterfront this evening, an official said.

Police responded to 20 River Court around 5 p.m. and have cordoned off the area where the ?young man? struck the ground. The Hudson County Prosecutor?s Office has been notified but there is no information available at this time to suggest anything suspicious, an official said.

The man plunged from the east side of the building, which faces the Hudson River. Police are on the 26th floor of the building investigating.

Officials from the state Regional Medical Examiner?s Office in Newark are responding.

As of 5:55 p.m., the body remained at the scene. The building is not far from the Newport PATH Station and is bustling with commuters. Residents are being allowed to come and go from the building.

Michaelangelo Conte/The Jersey Journal

Posted on: 2014/2/11 23:51

[Advanced Search]

Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!

LicenseInformation | AboutUs | PrivacyPolicy | Faq | Contact

JERSEY CITY LIST - News & Reviews - Jersey City, NJ - Copyright 2004 - 2017