Register now !    Login  
Main Menu
Who's Online
131 user(s) are online (104 user(s) are browsing Message Forum)

Members: 0
Guests: 131

more...

Browsing this Thread:   1 Anonymous Users

Re: Super Bowl Crushes NJ Taxpayers
Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2017/8/9 1:00
From Downtown JC
Group:
Registered Users
Never again.

Posted on: 2014/5/5 17:43

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2017/8/3 1:06
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

Monroe wrote:
Quote:

owlie wrote:
Whose decision was it to host the game here? I hope it wasn't the same person responsible for Bridgegate? Why doesn't he do something that actually makes money for NJ?

The NFL owners choose the city.

B-b-b-b-but it's a conspiracy! Jan Brewer's state is hosting next year!

lol

Really? You think the NFL can just throw the Super Bowl in a city without government's approval?

Posted on: 2014/5/5 17:37

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2023/9/5 18:27
From Bergen Hill
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

Monroe wrote:
Quote:

owlie wrote:
Whose decision was it to host the game here? I hope it wasn't the same person responsible for Bridgegate? Why doesn't he do something that actually makes money for NJ?

lol

Christie needed to sign off on allowing the NFL to run a tax free event...

It really is amazing how a gazillion dollar agency like the NFL "needs" tax exempt status to put on a game that will net it billions. What is also amazing is how states, and NJ isn't alone, bow to this while complaining about pensions and other nonsense.

The NFL kind of sucks to begin with so it doesn't surprise me that they're run by jagoffs.

Posted on: 2014/5/5 17:31
Dos A Cero

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2020/10/5 21:44
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

owlie wrote:

lol

Posted on: 2014/5/4 1:21

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2022/1/4 8:59
Group:
Registered Users

Posted on: 2014/5/3 22:10

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2020/5/11 14:53
Group:
Registered Users
A quick Google search would have been a good indication of the financial success rate of the Super Bowl. Oops, too late.

Posted on: 2014/5/2 15:52

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2016/7/1 9:09
From Southern JC
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

Monroe wrote:
And the game totally sucked.

Not if you were rooting for Seattle.

Posted on: 2014/5/2 15:50

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2023/10/30 19:51
Group:
Registered Users
What a surprise this turned out to be. Funny how there have been very few news stories on the economic impact of the Super Bowl on New Jersey, probably because it wouldn't be very good news. New Jersey bore the brunt of the costs, while New York reaped the benefits.

The only place a Super Bowl should be hosted is in a city that is too far away from another state for fans to sleep, eat and travel to the game from, so the fans actually eat and sleep in the same state that has to pay all the added costs of the Super Bowl.

Never again.

Posted on: 2014/5/2 15:25

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2020/10/5 21:44
Group:
Registered Users
And the game totally sucked.

Posted on: 2014/5/2 15:16

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2017/9/14 20:15
From Crystal Point
Group:
Registered Users
TRENTON ? The head of New Jersey Transit says transporting fans to and from February's Super Bowl cost the agency $5.6 million.

Executive Director Ronnie Hakim told a state Senate committee on Thursday that the agency's expenses for getting fans to MetLife Stadium during Super Bowl week tallied $7.2 million, including overtime.

But the agency brought in $1.6 million from ticket sales and selling advertising on its website, trains and the Secaucus Junction station to Pepsi.

Hakim was named director of the agency in March after predecessor Jim Weinstein resigned.

He had been criticized for the agency's handling of the Super Bowl.

NJ Transit expected 10,000 to 12,000 riders to the game but ended up needing to move 30,000.

Posted on: 2014/5/2 14:33

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2017/12/28 0:40
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

jerseymom wrote:
The local restaurants I heard from were dead for Super Bowl - and they were anticipating a big kick from the games.

It seems like the PGA is a much better neighbor to JC than the NFL. At least local non-profits benefit from their annual donations and they include schools/charities in pre-game events.

The blocked traffic and over-the-top security details surrounding the NFL players were just ridiculous. Did any of the teams visit sick kids at JCMC? Sign autographs for school kids? Donate to the Boys/Girls Clubs or JCPD PAL athletic programs? Wonder how much that unnecessary Hudson River firework display could have been translated to cash for our local school kids in need.

How often was traffic blocked? Maybe I'm lucky, but I wasn't distrupted by super bowl, and I live 2 blocks from Hyatt.

Didn't Macy's pay for the fireworks?

It makes sense that the PGA would be more friendly, the matches are over several days, and the event is actually in Jersey CIty.

Posted on: 2014/2/5 1:41

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2022/11/28 0:04
From New Urbanist Area
Group:
Registered Users
I live pretty close to the Hyatt, and did not notice any difference in terms of traffic, security, etc. The city may have incurred some expenses in increased overtime, but overall the impact on the city has been negligible. Which is just fine with me.

Posted on: 2014/2/4 22:27

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

On_The_3rd wrote:
Has there ever been a city that financially benefited from a Super Bowl?

Miami and New Orleans have hosted it ten times, so they must be coming out ahead, unless the respective city administrations are both dumb enough to make the same mistake over and over (which is certainly possible with any city government). But you be the judge on that one; I reallly have no idea as to whether those cities would be worse off today if they didn't host Super Bowls with some regularity.

Los Angeles has hosted the Super Bowl 7 times, so they must have been happy with it, and though this isn't quite the same thing it is a documented fact that Los Angeles has turned a profit from hosting the Summer Olympics in the past (in addition to the economic impact), so they must know what they're doing when it comes to short-term athletic events.

Posted on: 2014/2/4 22:09

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2022/1/29 1:10
Group:
Registered Users
The local restaurants I heard from were dead for Super Bowl - and they were anticipating a big kick from the games.

It seems like the PGA is a much better neighbor to JC than the NFL. At least local non-profits benefit from their annual donations and they include schools/charities in pre-game events.

The blocked traffic and over-the-top security details surrounding the NFL players were just ridiculous. Did any of the teams visit sick kids at JCMC? Sign autographs for school kids? Donate to the Boys/Girls Clubs or JCPD PAL athletic programs? Wonder how much that unnecessary Hudson River firework display could have been translated to cash for our local school kids in need.

Posted on: 2014/2/4 21:43

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2022/5/23 10:53
Group:
Registered Users
How many seats were unsold to the Super Bowl? It looked like a full house.
Not like that Liberty Park concert last week, that was pathetic.
There was noone there.
There was tons more security there then who went to see the concert.
The fireworks were really nice tho along with the earmuffs & handwarmers :)

Posted on: 2014/2/4 21:30

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2020/12/23 21:08
Group:
Registered Users
Agreed. I don't understand who decided it was a good idea to travel to a NorthEast city in the middle of winter. I would expect attendance to be lower than average. That on top with the unpredictable noreasters i would opt for a location with better climate.

Quote:

caj11 wrote:
Miami and New Orleans have hosted the Super Bowl ten times each, more than any other city. I can only guess that it works out a lot better for them because all the fans and members of the press eat, sleep and attend the game all in the same state, and that state of course rightfully bears the added security and other infrastructural costs of the game.

New Jersey is forever handicapped by being so close to New York or Pennsylvania. Even if a place like Trenton or Atlantic City had the capacity to host a Super Bowl, the city of Philadelphia (located, the last time I checked, in Pennsylvania) would reap all the benefits.

Honestly, it is a dumb idea hosting a Super Bowl in a cold weather city anyway. There are enough logistical issues associated with the Big Game - why add weather to the list?

Posted on: 2014/2/4 21:20

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2022/2/28 7:31
From 280 Grove Street
Group:
Registered Users
To host the F1 Grand Prix here in NJ will also be a huge financial burden to NJ tax payers.
No-one will want to 'kick-about' in NJ when you have Manhattan next door for after hours entertainment and accommodation.

NJ has always been known for where NY sweeps it financial burdens, energy needs and waste ... NY has run out of space to residential developers who are more interested in personal financial gain then community infrastructure - They have been successful in lobbing NY officials for their needs and NJ has been the 'S' bend toilet flush for those needs!

Posted on: 2014/2/4 21:19
My humor is for the silent blue collar majority - If my posts offend, slander or you deem inappropriate and seek deletion, contact the webmaster for jurisdiction.

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
Group:
Registered Users
Miami and New Orleans have hosted the Super Bowl ten times each, more than any other city. I can only guess that it works out a lot better for them because all the fans and members of the press eat, sleep and attend the game all in the same state, and that state of course rightfully bears the added security and other infrastructural costs of the game.

New Jersey is forever handicapped by being so close to New York or Pennsylvania. Even if a place like Trenton or Atlantic City had the capacity to host a Super Bowl, the city of Philadelphia (located, the last time I checked, in Pennsylvania) would reap all the benefits.

Honestly, it is a dumb idea hosting a Super Bowl in a cold weather city anyway. There are enough logistical issues associated with the Big Game - why add weather to the list?

Posted on: 2014/2/4 21:04

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2018/10/5 14:16
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

hero69 wrote:
yes, taxpayers are being duped. if sports teams can pay their payers millions and millons of $s...

Not so fast. The players also get the short-end of the NFL?s stick.

Posted on: 2014/2/4 21:03

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2023/1/30 21:43
Group:
Registered Users
yes, taxpayers are being duped. if sports teams can pay their payers millions and millons of $s, then let the teams build and pay for their own stadiums and costs associated with these events

Posted on: 2014/2/4 20:38

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2017/9/14 20:15
From Crystal Point
Group:
Registered Users
From what I gathered on the web...

"Move the decimal point one place to the left," said Robert Baade, a professor at Lake Forest College in Illinois, who has studied the Super Bowl's impact on local economies. "The NFL says $500 or $600 million? I think $50 to $60 million would be a generous appraisal of what the Super Bowl generates."

A study Baade conducted in 2000 showed that the average Super Bowl from the 1970s through the late '90s only accounted for about $32 million each in increased economic activity at the most.

the Asbury Park (N.J.) Press reported that the Super Bowl had already cost the residents of New Jersey $17.7 million. "Much of that money has been spent by New Jersey Transit," the paper noted, "which has added more trains to MetLife stadium to handle an expected game-day crowd of 12,000 commuters, and to reinforce its infrastructure to handle the load."

The numbers will look much worse for NJ because most of the tourists' money will have been spent in NY.

"According to some analysts, the Garden State is the clear loser. Robert Baade, an economist who studies the financial impact of major sporting events, called the half-billion-dollar figure wildly optimistic. He estimates the game will rake in only $30 million, the average gain for all Super Bowls between 1970 and 2001 based on a study he co-authored. And in the face of glitzy Manhattan attractions such as Times Square, Broadway musicals and four-star restaurants, New Jersey will be lucky to see even one-10th of that money, he said."

Posted on: 2014/2/4 20:16

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2020/5/11 14:53
Group:
Registered Users
Has there ever been a city that financially benefited from a Super Bowl?

Posted on: 2014/2/4 20:02

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2020/12/23 21:08
Group:
Registered Users
I'm just glad they are out of town. Hate the traffic and the big to do. All for a silly game.

Posted on: 2014/2/4 18:29

Super Bowl Crushes NJ Taxpayers
Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2018/2/1 3:02
From JC
Group:
Registered Users
I didn't realize NJ had to pay for ALL the security costs but was contractually prohibited from receiving any sales tax revenue from the game. Meanwhile NYC got all the tourism revenue. We've been played like suckers.

http://blog.nj.com/njv_mark_diionno/2 ... _exit_not_fast_for_n.html

Posted on: 2014/2/4 17:48

[Advanced Search]

Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!

LicenseInformation | AboutUs | PrivacyPolicy | Faq | Contact

JERSEY CITY LIST - News & Reviews - Jersey City, NJ - Copyright 2004 - 2017