Register now !    Login  
Main Menu
Who's Online
117 user(s) are online (100 user(s) are browsing Message Forum)

Members: 0
Guests: 117

more...

Browsing this Thread:   1 Anonymous Users

(1) 2 »

Re: 10 N.J. towns with the highest number of heroin, opiate abuse cases
Not too shy to talk
Not too shy to talk

Hide User information
Last Login :
2015/12/20 22:02
Group:
Registered Users
You know what ain't so cheap these days: heroin. And I know too many white, middle class kids hooked on it, though it's an equal-opportunity enslaver. It is heart-breaking

Posted on: 2014/3/8 14:33

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
3/7 17:22
Group:
Registered Users
Heroin seems to be making a comeback. Last summer in VT we had our septic system serviced. The guy we used told us he got a call from Walmart to take a look at their sewage pump, which stopped working.

When he got there, he found the pump was clogged up with a massive pile of disposable hypodermic needles. The junkies use the Walmart bathroom to shoot up and then flush the needles down the toilet.

Posted on: 2014/3/7 22:33

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2019/12/26 15:30
From GV Bayside Park
Group:
Registered Users

SMMFH

Posted on: 2014/3/7 22:08

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2015/12/30 14:17
From Paulus Hook
Group:
Registered Users
People, this is a list of total number of cases. There are more people in Jersey City than any other city in NJ, save Newark. It would be surprising if we *didn't* have the second-highest number of heroin abusers in the state; we have the second-highest absolute number of nearly everything in the state, especially given that the gap between Newark/Jersey City and the number three municipality (Paterson) is quite large.

Give me some per capita numbers. Per capita, our numbers are far better than Brick or Toms River, not bad towns at all, let alone Newark or Paterson.

Posted on: 2014/2/11 13:31

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
From GV Bayside Park
Group:
Registered Users
Not Jersey City, but still just as sad.

In the wake of the prescription painkiller epidemic, heroin, much of it Mexican, has wormed its way into unsuspecting communities far from the Southwestern border as a cheaper and often more easily obtained alternative. Ms. Ivy?s was believed to be the seventh fatal heroin overdose in eight months in this town of 13,000 on the St. Croix River near Minneapolis. Two months after her death, and before yet another young Hudson woman died ? at a ?sober house? ? of a heroin overdose in October, nearly 500 townspeople crowded into the First Presbyterian Church for a forum called ?Heroin in Hudson: A Community in Crisis.?

Heroin?s Small-Town Toll, and a Mother?s Grief
Resized Image

Posted on: 2014/2/11 12:53

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
From GV Bayside Park
Group:
Registered Users

Posted on: 2014/2/1 17:08

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
From GV Bayside Park
Group:
Registered Users
NEWARK ? Police seized nearly 3,000 doses of heroin and arrested four people while investigating a drug ring that was ferrying narcotics from Newark into Ocean County, where overdoses claimed 107 lives in 2013.

On Wednesday, detectives with the Ocean County Prosecutor's Office pulled over a 2009 Nissan Rogue around 4 p.m. on Route 9 near Berkeley Township, where they seized 2,000 doses of heroin, according to Ocean County Prosecutor Joseph Coronato. Eslin Santos, 27, of Newark, and Manuel Valentin, 25, of Kearny, were arrested and charged with multiple drug offenses.

An hour later, detectives from the Ocean County Prosecutor's Office joined a mix of New Jersey State Troopers, Essex County Prosecutor's Office investigators and Newark police officers at a home on Emmet Street in Newark, Coronato said. Inside, they found 800 doses of heroin and materials used in the packaging and distribution of narcotics, according to Coronato.

Idia Torres, 36, and Alicia Ruddy, 23, both of Newark, were charged with drug offenses.

"Drug dealers importing their deadly product from jurisdictions outside of our county are targeting Ocean County residents for profit," Coronato said in a statement. "To stop the high number of overdose deaths, we must stem this flow of illegal narcotics."

New Jersey has been battling a heroin epidemic for years, as drug users in their late teens and early 20s have graduated from painkillers to heroin, which is cheaper and more readily available. The number of people ages 18 to 25 admitted to treatment programs for heroin addiction statewide has increased significantly in the past three years.

JJ

Posted on: 2014/1/30 22:47

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2023/9/5 18:27
From Bergen Hill
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

vindication15 wrote:
Quote:

jjmcv wrote:
Quote:

JustComplainList wrote:
The article is about "abuse cases" not SWAT team drug raids. Idiot.

This was exactly my point. I would venture that the number of white collar prescription drug opiate abusers in DTJC is just as high as the heroin abusers outside downtown. The original article was about abuse and nothing else. Let's not make this about crime or any other quality of life issues.

Is venturing to guess a nice way of saying talking out of your behind?

I'm the idiot which referenced a JJ article about a 15 yr old kid who was caught with 59 bags of heroin in GV?

First, I can't talk about general drugs, only heroin. Then I can't talk about heroin busts, only the abuses. Give me a break.

The article says "Jersey City." I am saying this is NOT TRUE. Drug abusers and dealers, a huge portion of them are a problem of GV and BL and not of DTJC. I'm still waiting for FACTS to prove me wrong.

And no, hearsay and "venturing to guess" are not facts

I don?t disagree with your premise regarding safety. Walking around DTJC has a vastly different feel than walking down Bergen Ave, regardless the time of day. However, you are wrong when you say that the article says ?Jersey City? and it?s wrong.

User111 has a point regarding the image of Jersey City. You can?t claim to be the best mid-sized city one day and the very next there are articles about heroin use being a major problem.

Go into Manhattan and talk to people. Say you live in Jersey City to one group and say you live in Brooklyn to the next. Neither group will really care about which part of Jersey City. They?ll have their impression. Either they?ll know about Downtown or they?ll only know Jersey City it from the news, which is negative.

To those of us that live here, it?s easy to point at a neighborhood and call it garbage. However, the problem isn?t contained. Things like that spill over, like a shooting at Hollywood Fried Chicken, for instance.

If you want Downtown to be even safer, clean up the areas that are around it as well. You?ll find a Whole Foods or Trader Joe?s far more likely to arrive?

Posted on: 2014/1/30 20:41
Dos A Cero

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2018/2/1 3:02
From JC
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

Yvonne wrote:
I may have mentioned this so I apologized if you heard this, right after Booker became mayor of Newark he had the cops do arrests on drug dealers. Shortly after this I was on the PATH train returning home when two men, perhaps in the drug industry, met each other on the train. One guy asked his friend why are you in JC? He answered, we had to relocate our business here after Booker became mayor. Everyone on the train understood what he meant.

This was probably true under Healy. Haven't you read about the numerous crime sweeps that have gone on under Fulop? Seems like he's trying.

In any event I agree the City has a long way to go. This is obvious from looking at certain neighborhoods.

Posted on: 2014/1/30 20:22

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
From GV Bayside Park
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

Yvonne wrote:
I may have mentioned this so I apologized if you heard this, right after Booker became mayor of Newark he had the cops do arrests on drug dealers. Shortly after this I was on the PATH train returning home when two men, perhaps in the drug industry, met each other on the train. One guy asked his friend why are you in JC? He answered, we had to relocate our business here after Booker became mayor. Everyone on the train understood what he meant.

Bingo!!!!! The last block association meeting we talked about all the entrepreneurship opportunities for Newark, The Oranges and Irvington dealers here in JC especially along Bergen ave and The Drive.

I would say at least 1 out of every 3 dealers in JC are not a resident here, because its so laxed in combating it.

Posted on: 2014/1/30 20:04

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
3/21 23:34
Group:
Registered Users

Posted on: 2014/1/30 19:54

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
From JC
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

user1111 wrote:
Quote:

JCMan8 wrote:
Quote:

user1111 wrote:
Actually they are all laughing at us. Carry on re-branding this drug infested city.

They aren't laughing at an "us." We are laughing at you, the only one here who seriously tries to lump BL and Greenville with DTJC.

Actually sorry about that, I realize you are the racist rant guy who is scared of Journal Square. LOL I can't take anything you say serious.

Attack the man, not the message. It's what you do best.

Posted on: 2014/1/30 19:15

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2017/4/20 19:08
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

JustComplainList wrote:
Quote:

vindication15 wrote:
Quote:

jjmcv wrote:
Quote:

JustComplainList wrote:

This was exactly my point. I would venture that the number of white collar prescription drug opiate abusers in DTJC is just as high as the heroin abusers outside downtown. The original article was about abuse and nothing else. Let's not make this about crime or any other quality of life issues.

I'm the idiot which referenced a JJ article about a 15 yr old kid who was caught with 59 bags of heroin in GV?

First, I can't talk about general drugs, only heroin. Then I can't talk about heroin busts, only the abuses. Give me a break.

The article says "Jersey City." I am saying this is NOT TRUE. Drug abusers and dealers, a huge portion of them are a problem of GV and BL and not of DTJC. I'm still waiting for FACTS to prove me wrong.

Haha. No. You're just the idiot who can't distinguish the difference between a drug related arrest and cases of drug abuse. You can be the biggest heroin kingpin on the east coast and not be an abuse case. You're just the idiot who turned this into a debate by completely twisting and distorting the subject matter. Do you know the differences in DRUG ABUSE and DRUG DEALING? If you can't step back for a moment, take a breath and see that, well then you really ARE an idiot.

The point of the original article, if I am not mistaken, is that JC has a lot of drug abusers, I believe heroin was mentioned. My point is that this is not true, this is an isolated issue just like homicides. I linked to several articles about the source of heroin in JC and where the various enforcement agencies are concentrating their efforts. I was attacked on the board.

I can do a search about drug abusers in JC neighborhoods, but i fear that data may be lacking. However, there is absolutely no evidence, just hearsay, to say that there are a lot of heroin drug abusers in DTJC.

So yes, it is possible that all the drug dealing happens in GV or BL but all the drug abusers are in DTJC. It is also possible that I'll be moving to GV :)

Posted on: 2014/1/30 19:14

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
From GV Bayside Park
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

JCMan8 wrote:
Quote:

user1111 wrote:
Actually they are all laughing at us. Carry on re-branding this drug infested city.

They aren't laughing at an "us." We are laughing at you, the only one here who seriously tries to lump BL and Greenville with DTJC.

Actually sorry about that, I realize you are the racist rant guy who is scared of Journal Square. LOL I can't take anything you say serious.

Posted on: 2014/1/30 19:03

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
From JC
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

user1111 wrote:

Posted on: 2014/1/30 19:00

Hide User information
Last Login :
2015/8/31 15:33
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

vindication15 wrote:
Quote:

jjmcv wrote:
Quote:

JustComplainList wrote:

Haha. No. You're just the idiot who can't distinguish the difference between a drug related arrest and cases of drug abuse. You can be the biggest heroin kingpin on the east coast and not be an abuse case. You're just the idiot who turned this into a debate by completely twisting and distorting the subject matter. Do you know the differences in DRUG ABUSE and DRUG DEALING?

The article is about heroin, opiates and abuse. You wonder why people are getting on your case for making it about other drugs and arrests? If you can't step back for a moment, take a breath and see that, well then you really ARE an idiot.

Posted on: 2014/1/30 18:57

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
From GV Bayside Park
Group:
Registered Users

Posted on: 2014/1/30 18:57

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
From JC
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

jjmcv wrote:
Quote:

JCMan8 wrote:
Quote:

jjmcv wrote:
Unless your head is in the sand you've heard that prescription drug (opiates) abuse is a national epidemic. I would suspect their are just as much, if not more, prescription drug abusers in DTJC then in the outlying areas.

That's true but your head would be equally in the sand to think a neighborhood like Greenville or BL is remotely comparable to DTJC.

Aside from populations of prescription drug abusers I made no comparisons. Obviously they are vastly different neighborhoods.

I think we are getting sidetracked here. User1111 said he made this thread for one purpose: "to show how filthy and dirty this city looks to outsiders." He continually tried to lump in slums like BL and Greenville with DTJC by saying they all fall under the umbrella of "this city."

I thought your comment was supporting him. But now I can see that pretty much everyone in this thread is in agreement: they are vastly different neighborhoods. You can't compare them.

We know this. Newcomers know this. Apparently the only one who doesn't is User1111.

Now that it's clear we are in agreement, let's just laugh at and ignore User1111's nutty contentions and move on.

Posted on: 2014/1/30 18:55

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

jjmcv wrote:
Quote:

JustComplainList wrote:

Posted on: 2014/1/30 18:42

Not too shy to talk
Not too shy to talk

Hide User information
Last Login :
2016/1/8 14:07
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

JCMan8 wrote:
Quote:

jjmcv wrote:
Unless your head is in the sand you've heard that prescription drug (opiates) abuse is a national epidemic. I would suspect their are just as much, if not more, prescription drug abusers in DTJC then in the outlying areas.

That's true but your head would be equally in the sand to think a neighborhood like Greenville or BL is remotely comparable to DTJC.

Aside from populations of prescription drug abusers I made no comparisons. Obviously they are vastly different neighborhoods.

Posted on: 2014/1/30 18:16

Not too shy to talk
Not too shy to talk

Hide User information
Last Login :
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

JustComplainList wrote:

Posted on: 2014/1/30 18:14

Hide User information
Last Login :
Group:
Registered Users

Anyone who checks into a clinic, rehab center, hospital, overdoses etc is an example of an abuse case. It's not going to make the news or jersey journal.

Posted on: 2014/1/30 18:04

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

JustComplainList wrote:
There are PLENTY of people in the Downtown area with heroin and other drug problems. Trust me. Don't be so ignorant.

give me an effing break. please post the news articles with the drug busts in DTJC and I'll counter with 10 more articles in GV or BL.

Yes, crime and drugs are all homogeneous throughout the city.

This is a true statement: people like user 1111 - they don't care about the city. He cares about his property values and I don't blame him. And the only thing that can raise his prop values is for him to come on this board and spew lies about how safe or up and coming GV and BL is OR how dangerous crime and drugs is spread throughout the city which you can't avoid.

I care about my prop values too but luckily, I HAVE FACTS to support my arguments

Posted on: 2014/1/30 16:37

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
From JC
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

JustComplainList wrote:
There are PLENTY of people in the Downtown area with heroin and other drug problems. Trust me. Don't be so ignorant.

That is true but we are talking about how people decide where they want to move to. They don't throw their hands up and say screw it, there's plenty of people with drug problems in JC so it doesn't matter what neighborhood I'm in!

That would be ignorant.

Instead they research the makeup of each neighborhood, restaurants, violent crime, safety, features, etc when making their decision. And we know and newcomers know the difference between the slums we've been talking about and DTJC is night and day.

Posted on: 2014/1/30 16:33

Hide User information
Last Login :
Group:
Registered Users

Posted on: 2014/1/30 16:24

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
From JC
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

jjmcv wrote:

Posted on: 2014/1/30 16:04

Not too shy to talk
Not too shy to talk

Hide User information
Last Login :
Group:
Registered Users

Posted on: 2014/1/30 15:14

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2017/12/28 0:40
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

user1111 wrote:
Quote:

Lima17 wrote:
Quote:

user1111 wrote:
Jersey City has a real problem right behind Newark and that is who folks will compare us with, and not Park Slope or whatever fantasy place you want to live.

But I think when people are choosing for a place to live, they're more concerned with the neighborhood..

So the city should do what? Nothing? , because you can avoid it by certain neighborhoods?

There are neighborhoods where housewives and stroller moms are sniffing this stuff. It needs to be addressed, and people need to wake up and be aware its happening. Bergen Lafayette and Greenville is in the backyard of DTJC. While Park Slope is some distance from Brownsville.

No, I didn't say the city shouldn't do anything. Of course the city government has a responsibility to all residents, and to clean up all neighborhoods. I was specifically quoting and responding to "who folks compare us with". That when people are looking to move or invest somewere, they are primarily concerned with the immediate neighborhood. So it's okay to compare DTJC to X Brooklyn neighborhood.

Posted on: 2014/1/30 15:07

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
From GV Bayside Park
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

Lima17 wrote:
Quote:

user1111 wrote:
Jersey City has a real problem right behind Newark and that is who folks will compare us with, and not Park Slope or whatever fantasy place you want to live.

But I think when people are choosing for a place to live, they're more concerned with the neighborhood..

So the city should do what? Nothing? , because you can avoid it by certain neighborhoods?

There are neighborhoods where housewives and stroller moms are sniffing this stuff. It needs to be addressed, and people need to wake up and be aware its happening. Bergen Lafayette and Greenville is in the backyard of DTJC. While Park Slope is some distance from Brownsville.

Posted on: 2014/1/30 15:00

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2017/12/28 0:40
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

user1111 wrote:

As the city as a whole, you're right, our stats are compared to Newark.

But I think when people are choosing for a place to live, they're more concerned with the neighborhood. That's why I think it's okay if people want to compare DTJC to X neighborhood in Brooklyn.

I've hardly ever been to Brooklyn, but I'm sure it has its share sh1tty neighborhoods. I wouldn't look at Brooklyn statistics as a whole, when deciding to move there, or invest there. I'd examine the neighborhood in question.

Posted on: 2014/1/30 14:47

(1) 2 »

[Advanced Search]

Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!

LicenseInformation | AboutUs | PrivacyPolicy | Faq | Contact

JERSEY CITY LIST - News & Reviews - Jersey City, NJ - Copyright 2004 - 2017