Register now !    Login  
Main Menu
Who's Online
98 user(s) are online (81 user(s) are browsing Message Forum)

Members: 0
Guests: 98

more...

Browsing this Thread:   1 Anonymous Users

« 1 2 3 (4)

Re: Wall St. Journal story today on Fulop JC Rebrand attempt
Not too shy to talk
Not too shy to talk

Hide User information
Last Login :
2016/12/10 18:02
From Jersey City
Group:
Registered Users
It was a NY Times article about a year ago on Fulop's efforts at rebranding that made my husband and I consider JC as a place to buy. Before that, as Brooklynites, JC wasn't even on our radar?we were looking at Co-ops in Ditmas Park and Jackson Heights.

So I speak from experience: the recent media attention is attracting young NYC professionals (in our case artists/academics) to search beyond the 5 boroughs.

Posted on: 2014/1/26 19:38

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
3/21 23:34
Group:
Registered Users
I do not agree, we are past the point for development. The new high rises in Journal Square will only lead to more congestion for PATH riders downtown. The sewers, streets, and PATH are at the saturation point already. My neighbor, who travels to NY by car due to her disability, told me the trip was faster on the Manhattan side than the Jersey side. It was bumper to bumper traffic from the Holland Tunnel to Van Vorst Park. I think people live in a dream world where more development leads to a better quality of life. It doesn?t, it leads to congestion and not enough parking spaces.

Posted on: 2014/1/26 19:25

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2014/12/21 14:01
Group:
Banned
Quote:

Yvonne wrote:
For those who think this is a good idea, where do we put these new people? If you haven't notice traffic does not move in JC, especially downtown. I lived on Van Vorst Park, close to Jersey Avenue and sold after 40 years partially to the traffic congestion that I faced every day. Several days ago, I was on Jersey Avenue, near the Library, it took 10 minutes to travel 2 blocks. Unfortunately, it was around 3:00 PM when schools (there are 4 in that area) dismissed. Other parts of the city also have their jams but Jersey Ave, Newark Avenue, and other parts of downtown comes to a screeching halt. There is too much development in Jersey City.

Yvonne - I really think that if successful, this will attract new people to the neighborhoods outside of downtown. Perhaps the question to consider is what will happen to people displaced by raising rents and sale prices.

As far as traffic congestion goes, I think it is part of the gentrification model. Some people will leave when they get fed up with the congestion and they will be replaced with people who are not as bothered or who don't drive regularly or at all. The irony is that your good works while living downtown contributed to its prosperity and consequent congestion

Posted on: 2014/1/26 17:41

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2020/5/9 11:15
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

TheBigGuy wrote:
Have to agree with this comment, between all the political glad handing photo ops / Huff Po /TV spots/national travel... every little thing being done appears to be resume building for some other job and does not seem like a sincere attempt at being the mayor hoped for when he was elected. Riding in snowplows doesn't change my impression.

I'd rather see Mayor Fulop doing these things which raises JC's image. Would you prefer to see photos of another half naked drunk mayor sitting on on his front steps on the Huff Po?
I don't have a problem with someone wanting to advance in their career. Ultimately he will have to stand on his record as mayor of JC if he wants to move into higher office. This can only benefit JC and it's residents.

Posted on: 2014/1/26 16:37

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
Group:
Registered Users
For those who think this is a good idea, where do we put these new people? If you haven't notice traffic does not move in JC, especially downtown. I lived on Van Vorst Park, close to Jersey Avenue and sold after 40 years partially to the traffic congestion that I faced every day. Several days ago, I was on Jersey Avenue, near the Library, it took 10 minutes to travel 2 blocks. Unfortunately, it was around 3:00 PM when schools (there are 4 in that area) dismissed. Other parts of the city also have their jams but Jersey Ave, Newark Avenue, and other parts of downtown comes to a screeching halt. There is too much development in Jersey City.

Posted on: 2014/1/26 16:29

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2015/6/16 12:23
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

VA2015 wrote:
The city is spending $600K on this with a matching investment from the private sector. Honestly 600K is not going to fix the public school system or any other large scale issue. If they were spending, say, $3M or more I'd object. But the return on investment for this could actually be pretty decent.

Bingo. Not so difficult to comprehend.

Posted on: 2014/1/26 16:14

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
1/29 17:59
Group:
Registered Users
Have to agree with this comment, between all the political glad handing photo ops / Huff Po /TV spots/national travel... every little thing being done appears to be resume building for some other job and does not seem like a sincere attempt at being the mayor hoped for when he was elected. Riding in snowplows doesn't change my impression.

Posted on: 2014/1/26 15:52

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2015/6/25 17:42
Group:
Registered Users
The city is spending $600K on this with a matching investment from the private sector. Honestly 600K is not going to fix the public school system or any other large scale issue. If they were spending, say, $3M or more I'd object. But the return on investment for this could actually be pretty decent.

Posted on: 2014/1/26 15:51

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2018/4/25 16:16
From Hamilton Park
Group:
Registered Users
Steve- Do something to remedy the Two Jersey Cities. This is the quote fom the article that resonated with me:
"I find there are two Jersey Cities. There's the very wealthy people and then there's everybody else, who aren't so wealthy," said Kim Wiseman, a 47-year-old who moved from New York 10 years ago. She added that the mayor "has to create jobs, create affordable housing for people who don't make over $100,000 a year."

Posted on: 2014/1/26 13:24

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2017/4/28 15:11
Group:
Registered Users
Wall St.

Posted on: 2014/1/26 5:35

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2023/1/30 21:43
Group:
Registered Users
mama used to say, " a little whorin' never hurt nobody"...if I can't sell it, I'm gonna sit on it"

Posted on: 2014/1/26 3:40

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2014/12/15 23:01
Group:
Banned
All of these public branding efforts by Steve, regardless if they're good or bad for JC, say one thing to me: brought to you by the Steve Fulop reelection/senate/congress/governor campaign. I think he will outdo someone like Chuck Schumer in the contest of biggest media whore.

Posted on: 2014/1/26 1:26

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2017/12/28 0:40
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

kencares wrote:
Jersey City is better off the less people who know about it. Do you really want to turn this place into Williamsburg?

If I invested in property in JC, yes.

Posted on: 2014/1/26 1:13

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
Group:
Registered Users
The city does not have a budget. Earlier this month the B.A asked for 26% of the money for last year but when I did the math it was 30%. Later, the B.A said I was right. Now I noticed a resolution 10z for the Jan.29th council meeting, the city is raising the stakes. It wants more money - nearly 35% of last year budget. The money does not come from the city, it comes from taxpayers of which 2,200 went into lien last month. So my question, why are we paying for this without a budget?

Posted on: 2014/1/26 0:30

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
Group:
Registered Users
We have plenty of people and plenty of money. We just need to use our resources more efficiently.

We can grow naturally with what we have and don't need to spend money trying to convince more people to come here and take advantage of our resources.

Jersey City is better off the less people who know about it. Do you really want to turn this place into Williamsburg?

Posted on: 2014/1/26 0:16

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2015/3/10 21:37
From The Heights.
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

kencares wrote:
This is a stupid waste of money. There is no point in an ad campaign to trick people into thinking JC is a nice place to live. Spend that money actually improving Jersey City. We don't need marketers to fluff us up.

Well you get the money by bringing people into the city. If no one comes where do you think the money will come from? Downtown changed due to a huge influx of new residents.

The one thing I don't like about it is the whole "mid-sized" thing. Yes we are, I get it, but that just makes us sound like we're not too confident about being the best.

Posted on: 2014/1/26 0:08

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2015/6/16 12:23
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

kencares wrote:
This is a stupid waste of money. There is no point in an ad campaign to trick people into thinking JC is a nice place to live. Spend that money actually improving Jersey City. We don't need marketers to fluff us up.

You need a sh*t ton of $ and time to furtherimprove JC. That money will come from people and business with money investing in JC. Those people are currently coming to JC and will likely continue coming. A marketing campaign will further propel interest in JC if done properly.

It's a great idea.

Posted on: 2014/1/25 21:26

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
Group:
Registered Users

Posted on: 2014/1/25 20:30

Wall St. Journal story today on Fulop JC Rebrand attempt
Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2020/10/5 21:44
Group:
Registered Users

Posted on: 2014/1/25 20:17

« 1 2 3 (4)

[Advanced Search]