Register now !    Login  
Main Menu
Who's Online
114 user(s) are online (95 user(s) are browsing Message Forum)

Members: 0
Guests: 114

more...

Browsing this Thread:   1 Anonymous Users

(1) 2 3 »

Re: places to go running/jogging?
Quite a regular
Quite a regular

Hide User information
Last Login :
2016/11/4 10:26
Group:
Registered Users
Do you know if the track at ferris is open most days? And any issues with safety there?

Posted on: 2014/6/27 17:26

Quite a regular
Quite a regular

Hide User information
Last Login :
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

MikeyTBC wrote:
Quote:

denised wrote:
So I'm still trying to find a place to run. I'm looking for something near downtown as I want to do this when I get home from work at about 6 pm everyday and I don't want to have to drive anywhere (lose my parking spot on the street). I also only want to do a mile or two at a time, which for me to get to LSP would add a couple of extra miles to that. Any other suggestions??

Da fuk?
Go outside of your apt door turn right (or left) start running.
Theres your place to run.
There's a track at ferris if you want to keep your lap time.

Sorry, I had an earlier post where I said that I don't want to run on the street. I don't like having to avoid cars, bikes, people, strollers , etc. I really just want to put music on and zone out for a mile or two.

Posted on: 2014/6/27 17:15

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2021/10/6 14:50
From Jersey City, NJ
Group:
Banned
The track at Lincoln Park is nice, and the circit of the entire park is about 2 miles as well.

Posted on: 2014/6/27 16:46

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2022/9/29 17:41
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

denised wrote:
So I'm still trying to find a place to run. I'm looking for something near downtown as I want to do this when I get home from work at about 6 pm everyday and I don't want to have to drive anywhere (lose my parking spot on the street). I also only want to do a mile or two at a time, which for me to get to LSP would add a couple of extra miles to that. Any other suggestions??

Da fuk?
Go outside of your apt door turn right (or left) start running.
Theres your place to run.
There's a track at ferris if you want to keep your lap time.

Posted on: 2014/6/27 14:50

Quite a regular
Quite a regular

Hide User information
Last Login :
Group:
Registered Users
Ooh! Good to know! I hear ya on the boring but as long as it gets the job done I would be okay with it! I miss the running outside and miss the convenience of where I used to live. I'm also trying to lose weight (not much maybe 5lbs) and deal with some back issues so I know I need to get back to this. Thank you!

Posted on: 2014/6/27 14:06

Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

Hide User information
Last Login :
2019/2/14 19:09
From DTJC
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

denised wrote:

Start at Grove Street (midpoint in DTJC) and run towards Grand Street. Take a right at Warren and run towards the waterfront. Run around the water, and towards the Exchange Place PATH. You can keep going towards Newport - there is a pathway along the water front - that goes all the way. Cross over towards 1st street (or whatever that street is near the mall) and continue back to Grove Street. It's about 2.5 mi and is safe as there are many people running in the evenings.

I had created a map thru map my run to upload but I seem a little tech challenged this morning and am unable to do so.

Good Luck!

Posted on: 2014/6/27 14:01

Quite a regular
Quite a regular

Hide User information
Last Login :
2016/6/8 17:09
Group:
Registered Users
If you're looking for nice places to run that are only a mile or two from your home, and LSP is too far, it does limit options. Depending on where you live, your best bet is to find a track.

If all else fails, I've been known to just run in circles around Van Vorst Park. Each loop is a quarter mile. Boring as hell though. Hamilton Park is just shy of a half mile around.

Posted on: 2014/6/27 13:23

Quite a regular
Quite a regular

Hide User information
Last Login :
Group:
Registered Users

Posted on: 2014/6/27 12:59

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2023/11/15 11:50
From Village/HP
Group:
Registered Users
I figured I'd hop on this thread for a related question now that the 14th St viaduct was mentioned.

I've done 2 5Ks and really loved it, so now I'm going to do the Newport 10K in May. I know someone who said the biggest "hill" is up some ramp in the first mile, and I think it's this viaduct they were referring to.

Is anyone familiar with this route? I am trying to see where this hill may be on this map:

http://www.newport10k.com/wp-content/ ... /2/2013/02/course-map.jpg

One day I suppose I'll just run over there/the route to check it out, but this weather stinks for me and running.

Thanks!

Posted on: 2014/2/6 1:22

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2021/3/15 20:01
From Downtown - H.P. area
Group:
Registered Users
If you're starting downtown and you want to combine hills and off-road into one run, the route you mention is probably the best bet - although you might have to stretch it a bit over 6 miles. Map it out in gmap-pedometer or mapmyrun and see what you get. If you want hills and are OK with road/sidewalk, then make your way to Paterson Plank road. Run up the viaduct wing road to the 14th st viaduct in Hoboken. From there you can keep going up to Blvd East, using side streets to go down and then back up the hill at various points.

If you want to PM me I can share links to some routes I have mapped out in gmaps.

Posted on: 2014/2/5 23:09

Hide User information
Last Login :
2014/2/6 19:07
From Jersey City
Group:
Registered Users
Great thread!
I've recently moved to Jersey City, Paulus Hook, looking for a ~6 mile route featuring hills and as much off-road/trail as possible. Tonight I'm going to try the Montgomery to Lincoln Park route and back. I run every Wednesday evening.
That said, i would love to get recommendations about routes in the area that correspond to the criteria i mentioned.

Thanks

Daniel

Posted on: 2014/2/5 21:28

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
Group:
Registered Users
All good stuff. I like running in Lincoln Park too. If you come from DT and don't mind dodging some traffic to get there, the run up Montgomery to Kennedy Blvd on the way to the park is a great hill.

There really are a lot of good routes around here if you look for them - many with no cars and at least some soft surfaces.

We should get our own JCList forum to keep this discussion going and get out of the main forum!

Posted on: 2014/1/16 14:16

Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

Hide User information
Last Login :
2022/3/27 20:21
Group:
Registered Users
Back in college I used to enjoy running the streets of Hudson County but I don't feel that youthful invincibility dodging traffic/sketchy neighborhoods not to mention the pounding on knees/shins.

These days I think Lincoln Park is the best place to run in Jersey City. The road that loops around the center of the park is 1.2 miles (though I usually run on the grass/dirt just inside the road). Going into Lincoln Park west adds some more mileage/variety on the cinder trails - hopefully one day the nature trail across the bridge will be open as this would add some more area to cover.

You can mix and match these loops and get in a decent long run with out being too monotonous and the risk of getting hit by a car is far less than on the streets.

Posted on: 2014/1/15 23:12

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

bodhipooh wrote:
Yes! That is the group. You beat me to it. I will likely join these outings on a regular basis, if my schedule doesn't get in the way. I am normally a morning runner, but it would be fun to meet other like-minded people with a similar interest in beer and running. :)

I would like to run with those guys (I've met a couple of them) but I am normally a very early morning runner (5:30 latest) and I can't make it work.

Regarding LSP - yes, nice place to run but eventually you'll need variety and some hills. There are some awesome routes you can run using the hills behind JC/Hoboken/Weehawken. The view from Boulevard East is unbeatable, especially if you ran there from DT JC!

Then, there's the Pipeline (not that pipeline) up in W New York area. One of my favorite routes is to go up to Blvd East in Union City/W NY (hills), then run back by the waterfront path (flats) with a stop at the end of the pipeline. I think it's about a 13 mile route.

Posted on: 2014/1/15 21:57

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2020/4/26 22:05
Group:
Registered Users
Yes! That is the group. You beat me to it. I will likely join these outings on a regular basis, if my schedule doesn't get in the way. I am normally a morning runner, but it would be fun to meet other like-minded people with a similar interest in beer and running. :)

Posted on: 2014/1/15 17:27

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2017/12/28 0:40
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

bodhipooh wrote:
A friend of mine that lives in the neighborhood mentioned that there is a fun running group that meets on Tuesdays and usually ends their evening runs at The Tilted Kilt. I will try and get the information from him so I can post it here.

It's probably this group:
http://www.meetup.com/jcrunners/events/159515512/

Posted on: 2014/1/15 16:27

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
Group:
Registered Users
You didn't mention where you live. If you are at all close to LSP, I highly recommend it. It is a fun, scenic place, albeit flat. You will find many people running, at all times. I usually run the park in the mornings, with my Weimaraner so, if you see me, wave. :)

A friend of mine that lives in the neighborhood mentioned that there is a fun running group that meets on Tuesdays and usually ends their evening runs at The Tilted Kilt. I will try and get the information from him so I can post it here.

About LSP, it is also rather nice that, due to its layout, it is incredibly easy to measure distances, which I find to be a huge plus when training for specific distances.

Posted on: 2014/1/15 15:55

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
Group:
Registered Users
There are a few running clubs in the area, but not many.

There is a group called Jersey City Runners with a Meetup page - http://www.meetup.com/jcrunners/

There is an informal group call the Jersey City Hillers that meets in the HP area on Saturday mornings.

There are a couple of clubs in Hoboken. Hoboken Harriers is one. The other one is a women's club called the Elysianettes.

There are probably others out there. I would suggest talking to neighbors, people in the gym, or the staff at Fleet Feet in Hoboken. We used to have our own running store (Runner's High) in Newport but, alas, that is no more.

If you want to PM me, I can tell you about the group I run with on weekends.

For races, the runningintheusa site is good. Many people here participate in NYRR races in NYC. They are usually good but can be crowded. Starting in the spring there are also usually a few 5Ks in LSP - Read Write Run, Carlos Negron, etc.

Posted on: 2014/1/15 14:42

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2021/11/4 21:55
From Hamilton Park
Group:
Registered Users
For the group thing, as I understand there are small groups doing runs - I myself run with friends from Hamilton Park to Liberty State Park...., when I wake up early enough

So talk with your neighbors. Paulus Hook might have a better stock of runners due to the proximity of Liberty State Park.

If you are interested in races, the following link is a good place to start: http://www.runningintheusa.com/Race/Default.aspx
The most local races are the Newport half (September) and 10K (May).

Posted on: 2014/1/15 0:55

Running

Hide User information
Last Login :
2014/9/15 13:26
From Jersey City
Group:
Registered Users
Are there any running clubs in Jersey City? What about running races in the area? Does anyone know how I can find out where I can find out more about the running community?

Posted on: 2014/1/14 21:54

Re: Best places to run near downtown?
Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2020/9/30 18:46
From Van Vorst Park
Group:
Registered Users
1) liberty state park

2) waterfront walkway along the Hudson

Posted on: 2013/12/26 5:02

Best places to run near downtown?
Quite a regular
Quite a regular

Hide User information
Last Login :
Group:
Registered Users
I've only been living in jersey city for about 6 months and before I moved I used to run in a great park with trails. I'm wondering if anyone has some suggestions on good places to run near downtown jc. I'm sort of looking for the same thing. I like not running near traffic and I want it to be in a safe enough area that I can put in headphones and zone out. I usually only run about a mile or two. Any info would be greatly appreciated!

Posted on: 2013/12/26 4:47

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2023/6/11 23:48
From Western Slope
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

HPYC wrote:
The track at Ferris may not actually belong to Ferris. Not sure, but for some reason on Google maps it's called "Meluso Park." From what I've seen, it's always open. Can't find any info on who owns/runs the park if it is one...

It is probably an area of the school property that was dedicated to a person that went to Ferris or someone from the neighborhood.

Posted on: 2013/7/25 12:12
Get on your bikes and ride !

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
Group:
Registered Users
The track at Ferris may not actually belong to Ferris. Not sure, but for some reason on Google maps it's called "Meluso Park." From what I've seen, it's always open. Can't find any info on who owns/runs the park if it is one...

Posted on: 2013/7/25 12:00

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
Group:
Registered Users
My understanding is that public school facilities are (by their very definition) public, and open to the public. Within limits, of course, which essentially means not during school hours. But, I know that some locations are forced to lock up premises, and limit off-hours access, because of a need to prevent crime/mischief.

Perhaps your best bet is to contact the JC BOE.

Posted on: 2013/7/24 21:03

Quite a regular
Quite a regular

Hide User information
Last Login :
2014/11/13 14:13
Group:
Registered Users
It is usually open.

Posted on: 2013/7/24 17:44

Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

Hide User information
Last Login :
2017/6/14 13:47
Group:
Registered Users
Thank you all for the responses? Has anyone tried to use the track at Ferris? Is it open to the public, or do they lock it up?

Posted on: 2013/7/24 16:23

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
Group:
Registered Users
Ferris has a track, but it is simply a path around a practice field, not a regulation 400 meter track. Don't use it for super-precision speedwork unless you measure it out carefully. Still and all, it's a track and it's downtown.

Posted on: 2013/7/23 20:10

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

I think Ferris High School has a track on Montgomery Street.

Google Maps agrees with you!

Ferris High School Google Maps Satellite View

Posted on: 2013/7/23 19:26

Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

Hide User information
Last Login :
2016/6/6 21:33
Group:
Banned
Quote:

mendezia wrote:
Anyone know what the closest outdoor track to DTJC is? I know there's one in Lincoln Pk, but I'd rather a place that's walking distance. Thank you.

I think Ferris High School has a track on Montgomery Street.

Posted on: 2013/7/23 18:39

(1) 2 3 »

[Advanced Search]

Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!

LicenseInformation | AboutUs | PrivacyPolicy | Faq | Contact

JERSEY CITY LIST - News & Reviews - Jersey City, NJ - Copyright 2004 - 2017