Register now !    Login  
Main Menu
Who's Online
116 user(s) are online (95 user(s) are browsing Message Forum)

Members: 0
Guests: 116

more...

Browsing this Thread:   1 Anonymous Users

« 1 2 3 4 (5) 6 7 8 »

Re: 400 Unit Development in Hamilton Park
Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

Hide User information
Last Login :
2015/3/16 17:45
Group:
Registered Users
As a HP resident, my first concern would be parking. Our household has 1 car and I do use it every day to go to and from work. I have had good luck finding a spot nearby but would hate to lose that along with this construction.

I don't think the building looks too bad at all. It's not exactly like Marin is stretched with historic brownstones anyway. If the bottom floor can actually become a lively commercial area, it would be an improvement on that site.

Marin, in general, is such an unsightly thoroughfare. I realize that it is important for cars to get through DTJC and to/from the Holland Tunnel, but a street like that should be more friendly to pedestrians above 2nd street. It essentially is a barrier to the waterfront, which is a shame.

Looks like the new residents will have great views of the beautiful Newport parking garage! Will any adjustments be made to the garage to help access to the mall, path, light rail, etc.?

Posted on: 2014/1/15 14:40

Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

Hide User information
Last Login :
2018/3/13 14:11
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

tern wrote:
So what does "Area eligible for tax abatement" as written on the documents mean?

Surely this building will not get a tax abatement?

Robin.

Sorry should have been more explicit there. The Mayors executive order around tax abatements, which skews abatements away from the waterfront and torwards the rest of the city. The map (which is supposed to be reviewed and adjusted every 2 years) is essentially 5 years along waterfront, 10 years the rest of downtown, 20 years most other areas in the city and a few 30 year spots. The dividing line for downtown is Marin and Grand. So Liberty harbor north, Paulus hook, Powerhouse arts and Newport are 5 year zones (the same abatement anyone is eligible for) and the rest is 10 year. The only way a developer would be eligible to get a higher abatement is if they "buy up" with a giveback. One example of a giveback that's listed that will allow for a higher abatement amount is building a public school space in the building.

So, according to the abatement executive order, this is eligible for 10 years. Unless they build a school it would not be eligible for a higher abatement. Per the admin, the yearly revenue from that abatement would be $1.2 MM to city.

Posted on: 2014/1/15 10:33

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2023/7/18 1:45
From Hamilton Park
Group:
Registered Users
So what does "Area eligible for tax abatement" as written on the documents mean?

Surely this building will not get a tax abatement?

Robin.

Posted on: 2014/1/15 6:54

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2023/1/15 1:13
From Leashless Glory.
Group:
Banned
I agree with one resident's comments that it's "Newport creeping closer to historic downtown". Also, not long before we're all ankle deep in raw sewage.

Resized Image

Posted on: 2014/1/15 6:45

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2017/4/14 0:40
Group:
Registered Users
Just saw the renderings, and all I'm going to say is that building makes Grove Pointe look like a royal palace. Looks very industrial...sort of like one of the uglier warehouses that was torn down over the past decades. But maybe that's precisely what they were going for (?)

Posted on: 2014/1/15 5:45

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2017/12/28 0:40
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

hero69 wrote:
perhaps the parking authority should not issue parking permits who live in buildings with allocated parking

I'm not sure if it's a citywide regulation, but the PA does not issue parking permits to the high rises downtown, that have allocated parking.

Posted on: 2014/1/15 4:31

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2023/1/30 21:43
Group:
Registered Users
perhaps the parking authority should not issue parking permits who live in buildings with allocated parking

Posted on: 2014/1/15 3:10

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2017/12/25 1:59
From here to eternity
Group:
Registered Users
It is an unsightly building. Reminds me of a stalinist residential block where the builder ran out of money and had to improvise.

I am not sure how much the 300 planned residential units will further tax our decrepit water and sewage system. But I am sure it will not improve the flow of water and sewage.

It will definitely make parking worse. They promise 240 parking spots, but will that be sufficient? Some residents may actually have multiple cars. Assuming each residential unit has one car - that means 60 cars will have to park on the streets where it is a real problem finding a parking spot in the evenings.

What really concerns me is the height of the building. That park that the developer is promising to create may actually end up being a dark, sunless place that is perennially shaded by the surrounding buildings. This building will be 190 feet tall ...

This is a behemoth of a building that is bound to destroy a historically fragile neighborhood and diminish the quality of life people in Hamilton Park and the surrounding area have learned to appreciate and enjoy.

This large scale building that does not fit well with the historical fabric of the area may actually reduce the value of residential real estate in the surrounding blocks.

Posted on: 2014/1/15 2:57

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
Group:
Registered Users
interesting design but i think lot coverage should be significantly scaled back from 90% requested. more green space

Posted on: 2014/1/15 0:25

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2023/11/15 11:50
From Village/HP
Group:
Registered Users
It's in the first slide deck when you follow the link.

Posted on: 2014/1/15 0:10

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
Group:
Registered Users
any renderings?

Posted on: 2014/1/15 0:06

Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

Hide User information
Last Login :
2014/8/23 19:32
From hamilton park
Group:
Registered Users
City councilwoman Candice Osborne is conducting a survey regarding the development on Marin between 8th and 9th street:

http://candiceosborne.com/updates/wee ... n-between-8th-9th#anchor4

Posted on: 2014/1/14 22:25

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2019/9/4 14:31
Group:
Registered Users
Why should the zoning be changed to accomodate something that will just put an extra strain on the area ?

Arguing for development in general vs the specific building is like saying we need natural gas so the Spectra Pipeline is ok.

Posted on: 2013/12/5 2:54

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2016/9/8 19:37
From Soho West
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

moobycow wrote:
Quote:

DouglasReynholm wrote:
My rec for the re-zoning Candice.

No building/tower/apartment/office structure should be taller than 5 floors measured from ground upward within historic district - Marin Blvd to Division Street from 10th Street to Newark Avenue.

Regarding the rest of downtown (except from Brunswick to Barrow from Columbus to Bright), those are already bombarded with tall skyscrapers within Paulus Hook, Newport and along Grand Street facing Liberty State Park. Too late for those communities.

And stop Tax Abatements for developers in 07302.

If the council approves otherwise, someone is getting paid/influenced etc. etc.

Preserve Hamilton Park.

Preserve Hamilton Park? This spot has a parking lot and is next to a building that is the same height as the proposed development. It's not like they are changing the character of the neighborhood with this development.

I agree on tax abatement though, no one needs extra incentive to build downtown.

Facts have no place in this discussion.

Besides if any of them actually walks over there and sees the parking lot and old age home, they'll probably think it should be another park (after all HP is "stressed", sometimes there are two dogs in the dog run) or a kale garden, or a Whole Foods where anyone who tries to park will need to sign over their first two children to an organic collective.

Posted on: 2013/12/3 18:29

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2016/9/8 19:37
From Soho West
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

vindication15 wrote:
Quote:

Vigilante wrote:
But it's called Jersey CITY. C-I-T-Y. Which means we should now strive to emulate what a CITY is in our small brains. Tall buildings and lots and lots of people right? You got mugged? Hey it's a CITY! A homeless person shit in your flower-pots? Hey it's a CITY! The sewer overflowed raw sewage? WTF! It's a CITY! The transportation system sucks? You said it! It's a CITY! We can do worse. No seriously, with enough effort we can definitely make it worse and we're headed in that direction.

Quote:
A homeless person shit in your flower-pots?

What messed up city have you recently visited?

I have been to Cairo and Alexandria among others, and even they don't have these kinds of problems.

The exaggeration on this board as to crowding is completely ridiculous.

Posted on: 2013/12/3 18:27

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2020/4/26 22:05
Group:
Registered Users
As Master Yoda would say: Failed you, your sarcasm radar has. Yes, hmmm.

Posted on: 2013/12/3 14:07

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2017/4/20 19:08
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

Vigilante wrote:
But it's called Jersey CITY. C-I-T-Y. Which means we should now strive to emulate what a CITY is in our small brains. Tall buildings and lots and lots of people right? You got mugged? Hey it's a CITY! A homeless person shit in your flower-pots? Hey it's a CITY! The sewer overflowed raw sewage? WTF! It's a CITY! The transportation system sucks? You said it! It's a CITY! We can do worse. No seriously, with enough effort we can definitely make it worse and we're headed in that direction.

Quote:
A homeless person shit in your flower-pots?

What messed up city have you recently visited?

Posted on: 2013/12/2 22:23

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

downright wrote:
Quote:

vindication15 wrote:
Quote:

downright wrote:
Quote:

vindication15 wrote:
Quote:

SilveryJessica wrote:
Quote:

Binky wrote:
Actually, when I moved in to my house 15 years ago there was no net increase in the number of people living here.
It is the people who have moved into the new construction who have increased the population. And it is the poor planning of the new construction and the necessary infrastructure that is the issue here.

Yes. Those of us who moved here 15 years ago didn't buy new construction. We replaced outgoing residents. We didn't contribute to the surge in population, congestion, FILTH, crime, etc. Yes, there are wonderful new shops, restaurants, cultural options that didn't exist and I appreciate those, but the fact remains that the people who came here initially and paved the way for all the other more recent growth didn't want density. We wanted what JC had at that time which was convenience without the assault on our personal space that living here has become. One of the attractions of living here was the fact that you didn't have to kill someone to get on or off a train, listen to horns honking on the streets, get knocked over on the effing sidewalk when a bike came charging at you, etcetera. Living here was pleasant and quiet, and it isn't any longer. Yes, the changes have come with associated benefits too, but the lifestyle that a lot of people moved here for is gone.

Yeah, the ONLY thing that people living in new construction brought was flith, congestion, and over population. I'm sure Barcade, John's Cafe, Union Republic, The Bistro would have opened up shop in the vacant, oops, i meant quiet place you mentioned. I'm sure the Michael Korrs would have opened up in newport...I'm sure Newport Green, an amazing million dollar park would have opened up. Yeah...let's go back to that era of vacancy, I mean quiet and peacefulness.

I am having an incredibly difficult time following. I avoid Newport like the plague. Are you saying that all of Jersey City should be like Newport? A neighborhood of ugly buildings, ugly apartments and zero decent restaurants?

And Michael Kors? Is a $200 watch really a sign of prosperity?

Good. Avoid it like the plague.

Let's avoid the eventual back and forth and let me script our conversation.

Me: Which neighborhood in JC should be the model? Newport is a neighborhood with one of the highest median incomes and highest properties values of all of the JC neighborhoods.

You: Yeah, but Newport is full of Yuppies. Greenville and BL are the model neigborhoods. Those neighborhoods have things like uniqueness, acceptance, and character.

Me: Those are the high crime areas in JC...violent crime.

You: Something about yuppies and high buildings and an insult about Whole Foods or NYC.

Me: Something sarcastic and witty. Maybe even an insult about you being poor.

End of conversation. I just saved us time.

I don't think I have ever stepped foot in Greenville or BL. I live in Hamilton Park.

I don't have a problem with yuppies, as I suppose I fit the demographic. Nor do I have a problem with tall buildings. I have a problem with ugly buildings, short or tall.

And I would love a Whole Foods. I regularly drive to the one in Edgewater.

I like that Hamilton Park has some character. To me, this sounds like a poorly planned building that adds nothing to the neighborhood other than more people.

You deviated from our planned conversation :(

Posted on: 2013/12/2 22:22

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2023/1/15 1:13
From Leashless Glory.
Group:
Banned

Posted on: 2013/12/2 22:17

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2017/11/7 17:48
From 8th st
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

arcy wrote:
Since this development is probably already a "done deal," besides limiting the number of units, I suggest:
-Rooftop gardens and/or community gardens, indigenous gardens in park, apple trees, perennial plants
-Community events: holiday events (ie Santa Claus, pumpkin picking, haunted house, Easter egg hunt, spring equinox, summer solstice, New Year's), yoga classes, flea market, films, summer concert series)
-Commission jersey city artists and local schools for art in lobby and public spaces
-Gallery open to local events
-Bicycle shares, bicycle parking
-Parking spaces for electric cars
-Green cleaning
-Solar panels and donating any savings to the city
-Work-share space
-Composting
-E-waste and battery disposal recepticals
Artist studios/workshop space
-Hire local residents
-Sustainable building materials, renewable materials like bamboo
(Certified green building or LEED certified with electric saving bulbs etc
Provide reusable bags to residents in the lobby
-Financial Commitment to invest in infrastructure (buried electrical lines, sewer lines)
-Annual Donation to the Pavonia library
-Donation to the Roberte Clemente park
-Kushner scholarships for local Jc school and a scholarship to student
-Kushner internship to local Jc student
-in case of emergency, the development will be open to community

If any of the above is not adhered to, there will be a financial penalty.

Some random commentary:

I commend the Silvermans for their work with the artist community. I wish more developers would recognize how important art is to the community. I don't think Kushner has invested in the arts like the Silvermans.

I haven't been in Kushers' other developments. I've only seen the outside of Grove Point. I've seen the plans for Marin Street. Like Grove Point, the plans are very uninspiring, boring and institutional. I've heard the inside of Grove Pointe is slapped together and the hallways have drop ceilings.

This is how you do it. Ask for stuff that helps the neighborhood.

Posted on: 2013/12/2 21:59

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2016/10/21 16:46
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

vindication15 wrote:
Quote:

downright wrote:
Quote:

vindication15 wrote:
Quote:

SilveryJessica wrote:
Quote:

Binky wrote:
Actually, when I moved in to my house 15 years ago there was no net increase in the number of people living here.
It is the people who have moved into the new construction who have increased the population. And it is the poor planning of the new construction and the necessary infrastructure that is the issue here.

Yes. Those of us who moved here 15 years ago didn't buy new construction. We replaced outgoing residents. We didn't contribute to the surge in population, congestion, FILTH, crime, etc. Yes, there are wonderful new shops, restaurants, cultural options that didn't exist and I appreciate those, but the fact remains that the people who came here initially and paved the way for all the other more recent growth didn't want density. We wanted what JC had at that time which was convenience without the assault on our personal space that living here has become. One of the attractions of living here was the fact that you didn't have to kill someone to get on or off a train, listen to horns honking on the streets, get knocked over on the effing sidewalk when a bike came charging at you, etcetera. Living here was pleasant and quiet, and it isn't any longer. Yes, the changes have come with associated benefits too, but the lifestyle that a lot of people moved here for is gone.

Yeah, the ONLY thing that people living in new construction brought was flith, congestion, and over population. I'm sure Barcade, John's Cafe, Union Republic, The Bistro would have opened up shop in the vacant, oops, i meant quiet place you mentioned. I'm sure the Michael Korrs would have opened up in newport...I'm sure Newport Green, an amazing million dollar park would have opened up. Yeah...let's go back to that era of vacancy, I mean quiet and peacefulness.

I am having an incredibly difficult time following. I avoid Newport like the plague. Are you saying that all of Jersey City should be like Newport? A neighborhood of ugly buildings, ugly apartments and zero decent restaurants?

Me: Which neighborhood in JC should be the model? Newport is a neighborhood with one of the highest median incomes and highest properties values of all of the JC neighborhoods.

You: Yeah, but Newport is full of Yuppies. Greenville and BL are the model neigborhoods. Those neighborhoods have things like uniqueness, acceptance, and character.

You: Something about yuppies and high buildings and an insult about Whole Foods or NYC.

I don't think I have ever stepped foot in Greenville or BL. I live in Hamilton Park.

I don't have a problem with yuppies, as I suppose I fit the demographic. Nor do I have a problem with tall buildings. I have a problem with ugly buildings, short or tall.

And I would love a Whole Foods. I regularly drive to the one in Edgewater.

I like that Hamilton Park has some character. To me, this sounds like a poorly planned building that adds nothing to the neighborhood other than more people.

Posted on: 2013/12/2 21:59

Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

Hide User information
Last Login :
2014/8/23 19:32
From hamilton park
Group:
Registered Users
Since this development is probably already a "done deal," besides limiting the number of units, I suggest:
-Rooftop gardens and/or community gardens, indigenous gardens in park, apple trees, perennial plants
-Community events: holiday events (ie Santa Claus, pumpkin picking, haunted house, Easter egg hunt, spring equinox, summer solstice, New Year's), yoga classes, flea market, films, summer concert series)
-Commission jersey city artists and local schools for art in lobby and public spaces
-Gallery open to local events
-Bicycle shares, bicycle parking
-Parking spaces for electric cars
-Green cleaning
-Solar panels and donating any savings to the city
-Work-share space
-Composting
-E-waste and battery disposal recepticals
Artist studios/workshop space
-Hire local residents
-Sustainable building materials, renewable materials like bamboo
(Certified green building or LEED certified with electric saving bulbs etc
Provide reusable bags to residents in the lobby
-Financial Commitment to invest in infrastructure (buried electrical lines, sewer lines)
-Annual Donation to the Pavonia library
-Donation to the Roberte Clemente park
-Kushner scholarships for local Jc school and a scholarship to student
-Kushner internship to local Jc student
-in case of emergency, the development will be open to community

If any of the above is not adhered to, there will be a financial penalty.

Some random commentary:

I commend the Silvermans for their work with the artist community. I wish more developers would recognize how important art is to the community. I don't think Kushner has invested in the arts like the Silvermans.

I haven't been in Kushers' other developments. I've only seen the outside of Grove Point. I've seen the plans for Marin Street. Like Grove Point, the plans are very uninspiring, boring and institutional. I've heard the inside of Grove Pointe is slapped together and the hallways have drop ceilings.

Posted on: 2013/12/2 21:30

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

downright wrote:
Quote:

vindication15 wrote:
Quote:

SilveryJessica wrote:
Quote:

Binky wrote:

Posted on: 2013/12/2 21:30

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
From 8th st
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

DouglasReynholm wrote:

No building/tower/apartment/office structure should be taller than 5 floors measured from ground upward within historic district - Marin Blvd to Division Street from 10th Street to Newark Avenue.

Regarding the rest of downtown (except from Brunswick to Barrow from Columbus to Bright), those are already bombarded with tall skyscrapers within Paulus Hook, Newport and along Grand Street facing Liberty State Park. Too late for those communities.

Preserve Hamilton Park.

Preserve Hamilton Park? This spot has a parking lot and is next to a building that is the same height as the proposed development. It's not like they are changing the character of the neighborhood with this development.

I agree on tax abatement though, no one needs extra incentive to build downtown.

Posted on: 2013/12/2 21:06

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2020/12/4 19:30
Group:
Registered Users

Preserve Hamilton Park.

Posted on: 2013/12/2 20:54

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

vindication15 wrote:
Quote:

SilveryJessica wrote:
Quote:

Binky wrote:

Posted on: 2013/12/2 20:36

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
Group:
Registered Users
Could the infrastructure in the area really tolerate 400 units? That would be my biggest concern. Just throwing up an apartment building with the thought that any and all construction is a good thing is a bad move.

Does anyone in any position of authority have any idea what the word "planning" means? It's really sad that with all of the good that can happen in this neighborhood, all I see in the future of Jersey City is mediocrity.

Posted on: 2013/12/2 20:28

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2017/8/3 1:06
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

SilveryJessica wrote:
Quote:

Binky wrote:

Guess what, wherever you move, you don't get to preserve it amber for the rest of time. In cities of all places, you have to accept that the area could and probably will change.

Posted on: 2013/12/2 19:22

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

SilveryJessica wrote:
Quote:

Binky wrote:

Posted on: 2013/12/2 18:31

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
From 8th st
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

I_heart_JC wrote:
Quote:

RUinHamiltonPark wrote:
I say build and then build some more.

when you named yourself Ruin Hamilton Park, you weren't joking around.

This project is only nominally Hamilton Park. It's certainly not displacing row houses. IMO it is exactly what should be in that location.

Posted on: 2013/12/2 17:51

« 1 2 3 4 (5) 6 7 8 »

[Advanced Search]

Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!

LicenseInformation | AboutUs | PrivacyPolicy | Faq | Contact

JERSEY CITY LIST - News & Reviews - Jersey City, NJ - Copyright 2004 - 2017