Register now !    Login  
Main Menu
Who's Online
150 user(s) are online (126 user(s) are browsing Message Forum)

Members: 0
Guests: 150

more...

Browsing this Thread:   1 Anonymous Users

Re: Pet store finds home in Greenville
Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2020/3/22 6:01
Group:
Registered Users
pet stores will try to convince you that their puppies come from small breeders, but no reputable breeder would just send his/her pups out to the open market, where any knob with cash can get one.

every internet and puppy store puppy comes from a puppy mill. period.

Posted on: 2014/1/14 3:53

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2018/6/17 12:06
From Jersey City
Group:
Registered Users
Here's to hoping JC catches up:

http://m.nydailynews.com/blogs/dailyp ... regulation-of-pet-dealers

Gov. Cuomo Signs "Puppy Mill Bill" Allowing Local Regulation Of NY Pet Dealers

Gov. Cuomo has signed the so-called ?puppy mill bill,? giving local municipalities ? including New York City ? the power to impose their own regulations on pet sales.

The new law, which was passed by the Senate and Assembly in June, means local governments can enact stronger laws than what the state already has on the books to protect the well-being of animals. Any new local law, however, must be at least as strong as the existing state law.
The state Department of Agriculture and Markets will continue to enforce existing state laws pertaining to animal care by pet dealers. If a municipality chooses to adopt a more stringent local law, enforcement of that law will be the sole responsibility of the municipality.
?Hopefully there are going to be a lot of good local bills that prevent puppy mills from either gaining a foothold or operating in these localities,? said Assemblywoman Linda Rosenthal (D-Manhattan), a sponsor of the bill. ?This is a good step in the giant undertaking of getting rid of puppy mills, which only produce suffering.?
The ASPCA also applauded Cuomo?s signing of the bill.
?The puppy mill industry wanted to keep the state law unchanged because it allowed maximum profit and minimum accountability,? said Matt Bershadker, President and CEO of the ASPCA.
?But with this law, we?ll be able to keep a closer eye on these operations, stop inhumane practices, and undoubtedly save many lives. For New Yorkers and animal lovers ? and animals themselves ? this is a huge and important win. The ASPCA stands ready to assist local governments as they seek to enact and enforce tougher laws on pet stores and commercial breeders.?

Posted on: 2014/1/13 4:19

Quite a regular
Quite a regular

Hide User information
Last Login :
2014/4/7 13:51
Group:
Registered Users
When I was a kid, I was told it was around Claremont Ave.
Then I saw the map in the Library, and the "official" dotted lines are on Myrtle. It's only a block away.

Anyway, I may check out the pet store when I'm in that area.

Posted on: 2014/1/13 1:19

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2019/12/26 15:30
From GV Bayside Park
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

Howpat wrote:
This store is not in Greenville. Greenville ends at Myrtle Ave
and to the west, on Clendenny Ave.

Look it up in the NJ Room at the Library.

Technically you are right but it actually ends at Claremont but anyone who lives outside of GV or works at the Jersey Journal considers anything pass Communipaw GV.

Posted on: 2014/1/12 22:46

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
From Jersey City
Group:
Registered Users
Interesting quote from the original article:

Councilwoman Diane Coleman is also a regular customer. ?Pet Groove took very care of my dog Jody,? said Coleman. ?The store is very informative. They let me know what I should and should not do with my pet. They do a great job.?

Posted on: 2014/1/12 15:53

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
From Jersey City
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

hero69 wrote:
i'd boycott any business that sells puppy mill dogs

Agreed :)
Recent Daily News Article:

Gov. Cuomo Signs "Puppy Mill Bill" Allowing Local Regulation Of NY Pet Dealers

Gov. Cuomo has signed the so-called ?puppy mill bill,? giving local municipalities ? including New York City ? the power to impose their own regulations on pet sales.

The new law, which was passed by the Senate and Assembly in June, means local governments can enact stronger laws than what the state already has on the books to protect the well-being of animals. Any new local law, however, must be at least as strong as the existing state law.
The state Department of Agriculture and Markets will continue to enforce existing state laws pertaining to animal care by pet dealers. If a municipality chooses to adopt a more stringent local law, enforcement of that law will be the sole responsibility of the municipality.
?Hopefully there are going to be a lot of good local bills that prevent puppy mills from either gaining a foothold or operating in these localities,? said Assemblywoman Linda Rosenthal (D-Manhattan), a sponsor of the bill. ?This is a good step in the giant undertaking of getting rid of puppy mills, which only produce suffering.?
The ASPCA also applauded Cuomo?s signing of the bill.
?The puppy mill industry wanted to keep the state law unchanged because it allowed maximum profit and minimum accountability,? said Matt Bershadker, President and CEO of the ASPCA.
?But with this law, we?ll be able to keep a closer eye on these operations, stop inhumane practices, and undoubtedly save many lives. For New Yorkers and animal lovers ? and animals themselves ? this is a huge and important win. The ASPCA stands ready to assist local governments as they seek to enact and enforce tougher laws on pet stores and commercial breeders.?

Posted on: 2014/1/12 15:40

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2023/1/30 21:43
Group:
Registered Users
i'd boycott any business that sells puppy mill dogs

Posted on: 2014/1/12 9:33

Quite a regular
Quite a regular

Hide User information
Last Login :
2014/4/7 13:51
Group:
Registered Users
This store is not in Greenville. Greenville ends at Myrtle Ave
and to the west, on Clendenny Ave.

Look it up in the NJ Room at the Library.

Posted on: 2014/1/11 18:34

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
From Jersey City
Group:
Registered Users
It's interesting that the article doesn't specifically say they sell puppies but check their FB page to see the puppy kennels.

Oh a special recently too:

"FOUR YEAR ANNIVERSARY SALE !!! ALL PUPS IN STORE $499.98+tax NOW THRU DECEMBER 31st.

PUPS VACCINATED
6 MONTH WARRANTY
1ST VET VISIT FREE OF CHARGE"

Posted on: 2014/1/11 15:07

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
From Jersey City
Group:
Registered Users
I do remember a lively discussion here when he tried to open on Grove St selling puppies and kittens.

http://petgroove.weebly.com/index.html

Posted on: 2014/1/11 5:02

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
1/17 14:03
From Moe's Deli
Group:
Registered Users
He's the only groomer in the area that has been able to clip my big dogs nails.

Posted on: 2014/1/10 22:43

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
From GV Bayside Park
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

Pebble wrote:
It's an interesting article in that it opened so many questions. Sure, the article is about the store existing and thriving in an area with a sour reputation, but it seems like that guy has a story as well. You've the whole homeless drugs thing, the loss of a son, losing money trying to open downtown, opening a business in Greenville, the source of funds...

Yes very interesting story indeed. I look forward to checking this spot out, I been going to Bayonne and Milburn to take care of my pets needs. I look forward to finally shopping local.

Posted on: 2014/1/10 19:05

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2023/9/5 18:27
From Bergen Hill
Group:
Registered Users
It's an interesting article in that it opened so many questions. Sure, the article is about the store existing and thriving in an area with a sour reputation, but it seems like that guy has a story as well. You've the whole homeless drugs thing, the loss of a son, losing money trying to open downtown, opening a business in Greenville, the source of funds...

Posted on: 2014/1/10 16:36
Dos A Cero

Pet store finds home in Greenville
Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
From GV Bayside Park
Group:
Registered Users
By STEPHEN MCMILLIAN

FOR THE JERSEY JOURNAL

Pet owners are quick to praise the care and grooming their pets are getting at Pet Groove, located in the heart of the Greenville section of Jersey City on West Side Avenue.

?This is the first pet store that I?ve ever been to that smells so nice,? said regular customer Carol Sendars. ?The place is clean and the dogs are clean. I?ve gone to many pet stores but I?ve never seen anything like this. This is my new home for pet care.?

Councilwoman Diane Coleman is also a regular customer. ?Pet Groove took very care of my dog Jody,? said Coleman. ?The store is very informative. They let me know what I should and should not do with my pet. They do a great job.?

Pet Groove is the first and only African-American owned and African-American operated pet store in Jersey City and one of the few African-American owned and operated pet stores in the country.

Its owner, Jersey City native and entrepreneur Rahsaan Servance, 43, has been operating the business for four years and feels great about the growth of the operation.

?What makes me feel successful is not the money, but the diversity of customers,? Servance said. ?We service all. Every customer trusts us with their furry little friends.?

The business is a tribute to his late mother. ?After I raised the money for the store, I told my mom on a Wednesday that I will be opening the pet store the following Monday and that I was going to do wonderful things for her.? But on the day before his store was to open, his mother died.

In honor of her, he named the corporation Maureen?s Pets LLC but it does business as Pet Groove.

Servance said he was scared of dogs for most of his life, citing one incident in which he and his mother were viciously attacked by an Afghan hound when he was seven years old. But, he said he over his fear and started his career cleaning dog cages at a pet store in Astoria, Queens.

But it was a tough road.

?At one point, I was homeless and on drugs and I had gotten tired of living the way I was living,? reflected Servance. ?I went to New York to seek help. I landed in a shelter/treatment center and I met this guy who offered me a part-time job at one of his father?s pet shops.? That is where he learned how to run a pet store.

Pet Groove?s location was going to be on Grove Street with the name Pets on Grove. ?It was a 6,000 square foot facility,? Servance said. ?We had renovated the place and about three weeks before we were scheduled to open up, the city said the building didn?t have a certificate of occupancy. I found out that the landlord knew she wasn?t supposed to rent out the property. Being an unsophisticated businessman at the time, I gave the landlord my money and two months rent. I was finagled out of money, the location and everything.?

Nevertheless, Pet Groove has moved on and has been prospering at its current location on West Side Avenue since Dec. 19, 2009.

Servance doesn?t worry about competition. ?There are no pet grooming salons or pet shops in the heart of Jersey City,? he noted. ?They are all either in downtown Jersey City, Secaucus or Bayonne.?

Servance?s son, Ibynn Rahsaan Jackson, was very of fond of dogs, and was developing his own company called Pet Trails when he died, Nov. 22.

Servance has valuable advice for people who aspire to run a business. ?Pick the right business. Try to be unique. Choose the right business and the right location as well.?

What is the main thing pet owners should do when it comes to taking care of their pets? ?Keep your pets vaccinated,? Servance advised. ?Also, brush and comb your pets, keep their ears clean and keep their nails cut.?

Talking about the neighborhood, Servance said ?I grew up in Greenville and I don?t remember a pet shop ever being here in all my years growing up. This is something the community needs and it?s long overdue. It also lets African American children see an African-American in a different occupation in a field that can be achieved.?

As an African-American business owner, Servance has dealt with racism. The first year Pet Groove opened, a white person told Servance that black people don?t spend money on pets. ??You?re going to be closed the first year, I guarantee you? is what he told me,? Servance recalled. But that person doesn?t even walk past his store anymore. ?One day I saw him and I yelled, ?Hey, we?re still open!??

Pet Groove is located at 546 Westside Avenue in Jersey City, New Jersey. For more information, visit or call 201-984-2566 or visit the store?s Facebook page at www.facebook.com/pett.groove

Posted on: 2014/1/10 15:25

[Advanced Search]

Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!

LicenseInformation | AboutUs | PrivacyPolicy | Faq | Contact

JERSEY CITY LIST - News & Reviews - Jersey City, NJ - Copyright 2004 - 2017