Register now !    Login  
Main Menu
Who's Online
138 user(s) are online (119 user(s) are browsing Message Forum)

Members: 0
Guests: 138

more...

Browsing this Thread:   1 Anonymous Users

(1) 2 3 »

Re: Ready for the worst article ever written about Jersey City?
Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2022/4/26 19:42
From Chilltown, NJ
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

corybraiterman wrote:
The only other bone to pick with that article I've got is "Chilltown". Who in the fk calls jersey city that? Been here since the 80s and I can honestly say I've never heard this moniker before.
Maybe you personally havent but its been called that for decades.

Posted on: 2014/1/11 0:22

Not too shy to talk
Not too shy to talk

Hide User information
Last Login :
2014/6/12 13:54
From Van Vorst
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

Thanks, but no thanks - I prefer not to give people a reason to come here. I like it just fine without tourists. Hell, I don't want a Trader Joe's or even high capacity restaurants that bring in people, usually by car, from other nabes or surrounding towns. I like the fact that we now have some nice restaurants, but couldn't care less about galleries and theatres. If God had wanted galleries, theatres, museums, etc. in JC she wouldn't have created Manhattan and the public transit to get there (this may be the work of the devil, but I'll leave that to the more theologically inclined).

I couldn't disagree more. I would rather my hard earned money go toward the community I live in. Hasn't Jersey paid more than enough for the WTC project which is going to be giving countless tax dollars and tourism to NYC? If I can spend my money here it will contribute to my state. I don't even care if Hoboken becomes one big nightclub, I would rather spend my money here.

Jersey has such a bad rap, is known for nothingness, and we are so much their bitches to NY that how many sports teams in NJ are called "New York" this or that?

Posted on: 2014/1/10 15:18

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2017/2/3 3:59
From Hamilton Park
Group:
Registered Users
For the record--the worst pedestrian experiences in DTJC are north of Hamilton Park, especially if you want to walk to Hoboken.

Posted on: 2014/1/10 3:29
I live by the river.

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2023/1/15 1:13
From Leashless Glory.
Group:
Banned
Quote:

tommyc_37 wrote:
I completely disagree that bars automatically make a place douchey. Aside from Hoboken, can you point to an urban example?

Rhymes with Smew Dorleans, Boss Megass.

Resized Image

Posted on: 2014/1/9 22:12

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2019/12/26 15:30
From GV Bayside Park
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

Pebble wrote:
I find the article silly since it really is true that nobody staying in Jersey City to go to the Super Bowl will hang out in much of Jersey City. They don?t want to see The Beacon. They don?t care about the Burger King in McGinley Square. The Heights will only be known to them as a place their waiter or waitress lives. They are staying in JC because it costs less than staying in Manhattan and they heard the players of the teams were staying here and they heard the players of the teams were staying here.

At best, they might go to some bars or restaurants in DTJC, like Barcade, Zeppelin Hall, Taqueria, etc, to grab a drink on an evening when they don?t want to trudge into New York because they don?t feel like cramming in with commuters or are just tired of walking.

Heck, look at the events list for the Super Bowl:
http://www.nfl.com/superbowl/48/events/boulevard

There isn?t a single event outside of Manhattan.

It would be great if some of these people spent their money here. Tourist dollars are great for business. I just don?t really see it.

I totally agree, most people who live here including myself go across the Hudson for big fun.. not in JC

Posted on: 2014/1/9 21:49

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2023/9/5 18:27
From Bergen Hill
Group:
Registered Users
I find the article silly since it really is true that nobody staying in Jersey City to go to the Super Bowl will hang out in much of Jersey City. They don?t want to see The Beacon. They don?t care about the Burger King in McGinley Square. The Heights will only be known to them as a place their waiter or waitress lives. They are staying in JC because it costs less than staying in Manhattan and they heard the players of the teams were staying here and they heard the players of the teams were staying here.

At best, they might go to some bars or restaurants in DTJC, like Barcade, Zeppelin Hall, Taqueria, etc, to grab a drink on an evening when they don?t want to trudge into New York because they don?t feel like cramming in with commuters or are just tired of walking.

Heck, look at the events list for the Super Bowl:
http://www.nfl.com/superbowl/48/events/boulevard

There isn?t a single event outside of Manhattan.

It would be great if some of these people spent their money here. Tourist dollars are great for business. I just don?t really see it.

Posted on: 2014/1/9 21:43
Dos A Cero

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2020/9/30 18:46
From Van Vorst Park
Group:
Registered Users
I completely disagree that bars automatically make a place douchey. Aside from Hoboken, can you point to an urban example?

Posted on: 2014/1/9 21:35

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
From Leashless Glory.
Group:
Banned
Quote:

CdeCoincy wrote:
Quote:

Prismatic wrote:
Quote:

CdeCoincy wrote:
Maybe it's me, but if I were coming in from out of town for the Superbowl, and had a hotel room in Jersey City - the majority of which are near Newport or Exchange Place PATH stations, why would I spend my free time in Jersey City? Wouldn't I be heading into Manhattan? Isn't this article really condescending to visitors? Maybe we should have tee shirts printed up: I Was Five Minutes From One of the Greatest Cities in the World, But I Chose To Eat at the Food Court at Newport Mall.

OH, and how about toning down the subjects - is this really the WORST article? This reminds me of a VERY rich friend or an IMPRESSIVE new restaurant.

And this is the point I've made countless times. Give people reason to come here as opposed to Manhattan. Time and time again people here prove they are proud to just be a bunch of kisses to NYC and just let NYC get everything and back down at every idea that would bring people here.The whole point is to make THIS city a destination. Obviously a few night clubs, or whatever other forms of entertainment you can think of, won't bring people in droves but I really am tired of people just giving up with their only reasoning being "because NYC".

Thanks, but no thanks - I prefer not to give people a reason to come here. I like it just fine without tourists. Hell, I don't want a Trader Joe's or even high capacity restaurants that bring in people, usually by car, from other nabes or surrounding towns. I like the fact that we now have some nice restaurants, but couldn't care less about galleries and theatres. If God had wanted galleries, theatres, museums, etc. in JC she wouldn't have created Manhattan and the public transit to get there (this may be the work of the devil, but I'll leave that to the more theologically inclined).

I agree with most of that statement too. Some people on here just sound like angry little brothers. That's NY-Fucking-City across the river. JC will never compete with that so let it go. And if you want galleries and theaters then you better figure out a way to stop pricing artists out of the area. And bars and clubs don't make any area interesting. They just make them douchie and trashy.

Posted on: 2014/1/9 21:23

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2017/4/20 19:08
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

tommyc_37 wrote:
Quote:

vindication15 wrote:
I want to defend user111 here. I don't think he hates white people. I think he hates rich people. This is evident given his posts about dtjc, what "rich" really means (if you need a definition of rich, you aren't rich), and his shielding of the dangers of Greenville and BL.

More importantly, I agree with CdeCoincy, people who stay in DTJC will most likely just be going to Manhattan.

We minus well be newark airport to them. Who's to blame? The current status of Greenville and BL is to be blame, to be honest. If we were not known to be a dangerous ghetto, then more people would take an interest.

I would take "biege" "bland" "cookie-cutter" to dangerous ghetto any day of the week and twice on sundays.

Jersey City's perception challenge in 2014 is not that it's the dangerous ghetto. That might have been the perception in 2005.

In 2014, the perception is that Jersey City is simply "out there in Jersey". A lot of people, specifically those who haven't been in the area very long, have no idea how connected Jersey City is to Manhattan and they pass it off dismissively as "Jersey" versus a very integrated, accessible, and urban mid sized city.

I haven't met anybody under the age of 40 who has heard of Jersey City and thinks it's the ghetto.

Not true. Google "Jersey City" and crime and 2013. from two NYT articles:

http://www.nytimes.com/2013/07/01/nyr ... tions.html?pagewanted=all

Quote:
Though downtown neighborhoods have gotten safer, neighborhoods farther out still struggle with high crime rates.

AND

http://www.nytimes.com/2013/08/18/rea ... -city.html?pagewanted=all

Quote:
Jersey City has long attracted the Wall Street crowd to its splash of waterfront high-rises that promise cheaper rent and a speedy ride to Manhattan. But for years, the rest of the city was an afterthought with a reputation for high crime, failing schools and a lack of night life.

Crime mentioned both times. The highest homicide rate in 2013 in GV + BL is not something that ATTRACTS tourists.

Posted on: 2014/1/9 21:08

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
From GV Bayside Park
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

CdeCoincy wrote:
Quote:

Prismatic wrote:
Quote:

CdeCoincy wrote:
Maybe it's me, but if I were coming in from out of town for the Superbowl, and had a hotel room in Jersey City - the majority of which are near Newport or Exchange Place PATH stations, why would I spend my free time in Jersey City? Wouldn't I be heading into Manhattan? Isn't this article really condescending to visitors? Maybe we should have tee shirts printed up: I Was Five Minutes From One of the Greatest Cities in the World, But I Chose To Eat at the Food Court at Newport Mall.

OH, and how about toning down the subjects - is this really the WORST article? This reminds me of a VERY rich friend or an IMPRESSIVE new restaurant.

And this is the point I've made countless times. Give people reason to come here as opposed to Manhattan. Time and time again people here prove they are proud to just be a bunch of kisses to NYC and just let NYC get everything and back down at every idea that would bring people here.The whole point is to make THIS city a destination. Obviously a few night clubs, or whatever other forms of entertainment you can think of, won't bring people in droves but I really am tired of people just giving up with their only reasoning being "because NYC".

And all of Jersey City residents just cheered that you are not running the city. Get real its going to happen whether you like or not, that is why God made moving vans so when I did not like what dtjc was becoming I moved.

Posted on: 2014/1/9 20:09

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2014/12/21 14:01
Group:
Banned
Quote:

Prismatic wrote:
Quote:

CdeCoincy wrote:

Posted on: 2014/1/9 20:02

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
From Van Vorst Park
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

vindication15 wrote:
I want to defend user111 here. I don't think he hates white people. I think he hates rich people. This is evident given his posts about dtjc, what "rich" really means (if you need a definition of rich, you aren't rich), and his shielding of the dangers of Greenville and BL.

More importantly, I agree with CdeCoincy, people who stay in DTJC will most likely just be going to Manhattan.

We minus well be newark airport to them. Who's to blame? The current status of Greenville and BL is to be blame, to be honest. If we were not known to be a dangerous ghetto, then more people would take an interest.

I would take "biege" "bland" "cookie-cutter" to dangerous ghetto any day of the week and twice on sundays.

Jersey City's perception challenge in 2014 is not that it's the dangerous ghetto. That might have been the perception in 2005.

In 2014, the perception is that Jersey City is simply "out there in Jersey". A lot of people, specifically those who haven't been in the area very long, have no idea how connected Jersey City is to Manhattan and they pass it off dismissively as "Jersey" versus a very integrated, accessible, and urban mid sized city.

I haven't met anybody under the age of 40 who has heard of Jersey City and thinks it's the ghetto.

Posted on: 2014/1/9 19:54

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

Prismatic wrote:
Quote:

CdeCoincy wrote:

How about you start by giving people a reason not to avoid JC? Ie. crack down on the record homicides in certain areas of JC.

Even if you had a world class nightclub in JC but it was in the ghetto where people get shot, do you think people would visit?

Posted on: 2014/1/9 19:49

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
From Van Vorst Park
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

Prismatic wrote:
Quote:

CdeCoincy wrote:

It's not Jersey City versus "NYC". It's Manhattan versus everything that's not Manhattan. There is as high a likelihood of a Super Bowl tourist spending time in Queens or the Bronx as Jersey City. Manhattan is where the sites are, and Manhattan is where everybody will go. That's exactly where they should go.

Honestly aside from taking a ferry to see the Statue of Liberty, what is there to really see in Jersey City? What is there to see in the Bronx? Staten Island? Just like the boroughs, Jersey City is a residential outlier of all things that people would be coming to the NY area to see. It probably won't change. Although Brooklyn is now on people's radars. Perhaps someday NY tourists will take a daytrip to check out Jersey City as well.

Posted on: 2014/1/9 19:48

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
From GV Bayside Park
Group:
Registered Users
FYI people are not just staying in Hotels at Newport.. a home just a few blocks from me is being rented out by a family of six who is attending the Superbowl. So this article is perfect for folks who are not staying in Newport.

Posted on: 2014/1/9 19:40

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2015/3/10 21:37
From The Heights.
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

CdeCoincy wrote:

Posted on: 2014/1/9 19:36

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
From Leashless Glory.
Group:
Banned
Quote:

CdeCoincy wrote:

I agree. They may be "pleasantly surprised" by how nice parts of Jersey City and Hoboken are but they are coming to party in The Big Apple.

Posted on: 2014/1/9 19:24

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
Group:
Registered Users

Posted on: 2014/1/9 19:06

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2015/5/11 13:34
From Downtown
Group:
Registered Users
I have nothing to object to in this article. Could have been more informative, but I find it accurate.

Posted on: 2014/1/9 18:15

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2014/12/21 14:01
Group:
Banned

Posted on: 2014/1/9 16:26

Not too shy to talk
Not too shy to talk

Hide User information
Last Login :
2014/6/12 13:54
From Van Vorst
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

user1111 wrote:
Quote:

nyrgravey9 wrote:
Oh please, you do it on every thread. Don't play stupid here (I don't think you're playing). Enough already.

Quote:

user1111 wrote:
No I am not kidding, I never mentioned white, my keywords were Beige, and sterile. I love how you read.

Beige:
A person that is normal to the point of being bland. No style, works a 9-5 job, does not express their individuality. These people can be found in Starbucks, often wearing neutral color clothes, perhaps from the GAP, while sipping a latte and discussing last nights t.v. shows as if the characters were their friends. In group settings it can be difficult to tell them apart. Beige people often never stray from their path or pack. These people commonly experience more eccentric life through others.
Sterile:
Lacking imagination, creativity, or vitality.

Just to be clear what I mean, I have lived in white, Latino, black and Asians areas around the states and did not grow up in JC and never left unlike some... get a clue before you start spitting out I hate white people, damn idiot.

I think you need to get off the internets every once in a while and come down to Newark Ave. I would agree, Paulus hook is indeed kind of beige but certainly not Newport- which is mostly Indian, or Grove. In the heart of downtown there are several hispanic bars such as Latin Lounge and Music box and Roland's Keyhole and Jordan's is not beige, not to mention the Latin clubhouse on columbus, the Caribbean restaurant on Jersey and when school lets out, there is a very huge variety of colors of children. Perhaps you are getting confused because there is a large Polish community here as well as Russians (they even have the Russian museum), and though they might look beige colored they have distinct ethnic backgrounds and are a minority of sorts in their own right.

Posted on: 2014/1/9 14:42

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2018/9/5 2:01
From Hamilton Park
Group:
Registered Users
Lol +1

Quote:

jmiz wrote:
Quote:

JCMan8 wrote:
Quote:

jmiz wrote:
Since we're normally at one another's throats here, nothing can bond us together like an outsider sharing his two cents about a city and striking out on every single point he's trying to make.

It was a nice thought, but sadly does not seem to be realized in this thread.

Actually, this thread went pretty well, comparatively speaking.

Posted on: 2014/1/9 14:04

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2016/10/22 1:46
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

JCMan8 wrote:
Quote:

jmiz wrote:
Since we're normally at one another's throats here, nothing can bond us together like an outsider sharing his two cents about a city and striking out on every single point he's trying to make.

Actually, this thread went pretty well, comparatively speaking.

Posted on: 2014/1/9 12:25

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2022/4/28 22:07
Group:
Registered Users
I dunno, personally I think this article is full of fecal matter. Let's break it down.

Quote:
No. 1. Even with a GPS in your pocket, it's not too hard to get lost. Most streets in Jersey City have non-numerical names. Even in the Downtown, where some of the streets are numbered, commercial strip Newark Ave. runs diagonally. Because of the distinctive hilly topography of Jersey City, the roads rarely settle into an easy grid pattern anywhere.

OK, Jersey City is a series of fairly simple to navigate grids.
Resized Image

If you have a GPS on you and you somehow manage to get lost in downtown JC, you're a paint-chip-eating idiot and should consider getting yourself institutionalized for the safety of yourself and others.
Resized Image

There are like... 3 mildly complicated spots on that map: where the trains come above ground at Columbus west up to Summit as the streets cut off and you have to walk around; one spot near candlewood suites on Hudson where it looks like you have to trespass to get to the waterfront (omg go half a block around); and the fact that Grand, Newark and Montgomery are the only roads west.
If you can't read that map, you should re-enroll in the 3rd grade. Sh!#'s easy, yo.

Hilly? There's like... 2 hills in the entire damn city. There's one hill that runs north-south from the heights down to greenville and the slope is on either side of it.

Quote:
Journal Square is one of the city's largest transit hubs, but walking there is a challenge. The station is located underground in what looks like a large concrete bunker, and the sidewalk on the street that fronts the station -- JFK Boulevard -- is narrow and uninviting. The area around the Grove stop is easier to navigate by foot, but if you really want an urban pedestrian experience comparable to those you might have in Manhattan, your best bet is Washington Street in Hoboken.

Walking there's kinda easy if you're within walking distance - Pavonia, Sip, JFK, Bergen... About the only time I ever screwed that up was when I was a kid and made a left onto Summit from Pavonia, rather than crossing the street and had to backtrack.

You want to know what other station is underground? Every major subway station in NYC. Grand Central, Times Sq, Atlantic Ave, Penn Station. Could there be some bigger entrances to the downstairs? Yea. Is it hard to get to? Not if you can you read a sign in plain English.

This is narrow?
Resized Image

And no sh*@ we're not the same urban experience as NYC, we've got 5% of the population. The streets are nowhere near as packed and we're much more residential - like most eastern Brooklyn or Queens neighborhoods.
Quote:
Walking the waterfront is not easy. Views of the Manhattan skyline from Jersey City are so stunning that you might be inclined to walk the length of the Hudson waterfront. Good luck. A path along the river usually exists, but it's frequently broken up by hotels, condominium developments, and piers.

Yea... no. There are - to my recollection and google map looking - two spots where you're not directly at the river - 6th and 14th streets. You want to know what locales also have some piers you can't go out on? Hoboken. Manhattan. Check that stretch of Sinatra drive from 8th to 10th. How many dozens of piers block your water access on the other side of the Hudson? Please. You've got literally a mile (I just measured it) from the north end of the Colgate area at Goldman north before you're anywhere but spitting distance from the river.

The only other bone to pick with that article I've got is "Chilltown". Who in the fk calls jersey city that? Been here since the 80s and I can honestly say I've never heard this moniker before.

Posted on: 2014/1/9 5:31

Edited by corybraiterman on 2014/1/9 5:47:35

Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

Hide User information
Last Login :
2015/3/16 17:45
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

tommyc_37 wrote:
I'll also chime in on walkability and overall pedestrian friendliness. Let's get one thing straight - in the grand scheme of things (nationally) Downtown Jersey City is extremely pedestrian friendly. Extremely.

But compared to some of our similar neighbors, like Hoboken and brownstone Brooklyn, Jersey City is challenged in some ways. There are some hideous stretches, right in the heart of our downtown, that make pedestrian activity VERY difficult. This, in my opinion is unacceptable. Notorious streets that receive an F for pedestrian friendliness? Marin Blvd - the entire thing. Columbus Drive - the entire thing, at least west of Warren Street. Grand Street west of Marin. Washington, between Grand and 2nd Street or so.

Also unacceptable - that developers are continuing to build structures that encourage the use of cars, and enable people to be reliant on cars. Not only does it do aesthetic damage to all of our eyes by putting massive parking structures that start on ground level, instead of retail spaces, therefore isolating the sidewalks and sucking all vibrancy from them ... but it does the greater damage of pandering to people who prefer to get in their car from the parking garage, and zip off into the sunset, versus attracting residents who don't have a car, don't necessarily want a car, and would prefer to be walking around their neighborhood interacting with people and being customers at local businesses.

THAT is how a city is supposed to be structured.

The Atlantic just published an article on Brussels, and how its mayor is a proponent of banning all vehicles in the city's core. That is forward thinking. Jersey City can do better than it has done.

Agreed, I also read about this Brusselization and the plan to reverse it there. I've thought the same thing about Marin myself. My assumption is that the city knows these long stretches should be made more walkable, but has it ever been mentioned via council, mayor, etc.?

Posted on: 2014/1/9 3:08

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2018/2/1 3:02
From JC
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

jmiz wrote:

Posted on: 2014/1/9 2:02

Not too shy to talk
Not too shy to talk

Hide User information
Last Login :
2018/11/27 19:51
Group:
Registered Users
The article is pretty much spot on. Any of you who disagree most likely just moved here in the past few years and have some inane idea in your head of what you imagine this town to be rather than what it really is.

Posted on: 2014/1/8 23:45

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2018/9/5 2:01
From Hamilton Park
Group:
Registered Users
The article is a very poor portrayal of our town...

Posted on: 2014/1/8 21:51

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
From GV Bayside Park
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

nyrgravey9 wrote:
Oh please, you do it on every thread. Don't play stupid here (I don't think you're playing). Enough already.

Quote:

user1111 wrote:
No I am not kidding, I never mentioned white, my keywords were Beige, and sterile. I love how you read.

Beige:
A person that is normal to the point of being bland. No style, works a 9-5 job, does not express their individuality. These people can be found in Starbucks, often wearing neutral color clothes, perhaps from the GAP, while sipping a latte and discussing last nights t.v. shows as if the characters were their friends. In group settings it can be difficult to tell them apart. Beige people often never stray from their path or pack. These people commonly experience more eccentric life through others.
Sterile:
Lacking imagination, creativity, or vitality.

Just to be clear what I mean, I have lived in white, Latino, black and Asians areas around the states and did not grow up in JC and never left unlike some... get a clue before you start spitting out I hate white people, damn idiot.

Posted on: 2014/1/8 21:31

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2014/12/15 23:01
Group:
Banned
Oh please, you do it on every thread.

Besides, I feel Hoboken is lame exactly for the reasons you mentioned, and feel it is WAY to homogenous.

But DTJC is definitely not sterile/beige. Enough already.

Quote:

user1111 wrote:

Posted on: 2014/1/8 21:27

(1) 2 3 »

[Advanced Search]

Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!

LicenseInformation | AboutUs | PrivacyPolicy | Faq | Contact

JERSEY CITY LIST - News & Reviews - Jersey City, NJ - Copyright 2004 - 2017