Register now !    Login  
Main Menu
Who's Online
128 user(s) are online (111 user(s) are browsing Message Forum)

Members: 0
Guests: 128

more...

Browsing this Thread:   1 Anonymous Users

« 1 ... 4 5 6 (7) 8 »

Re: To JC Bikers Who Ride on Sidewalks...
Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2023/6/11 23:48
From Western Slope
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

ConstantReader wrote:
Late yesterday afternoon in the Heights, a friend of mine encountered a teenager on a dirt bike riding offroad in Mosquito Park and on the sidewalk on neighboring streets. The biker drove right between a couple of people on the sidewalk unloading a car. Really dangerous, although fortunately no one was hurt. My friend asked the biker not to ride on the sidewalk; the kid was belligerent and ended up threatening him: "I know where you live!" The police, when called later, gave a pretty lukewarm response.

Just putting this out there as a warning to other pedestrians: Watch out for idiots riding dirt bikes on the sidewalk.

(And I can't help thinking the biker is a big wuss for not taking his mechanized vehicle into the street....)

You should have used your cell phone and called a cop. A motorized vehicle becomes a police matter.

Posted on: 2014/1/2 18:05
Get on your bikes and ride !

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
From Western Slope
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

bodhipooh wrote:
jc_dweller said:
Quote:

in JC, adult bikers are "technically" allowed to ride on a sidewalk, but at a speed no faster than a walker. This was adopted by City Council last year.

This is the first I am hearing of this. Could you post an actual reference to the bill and vote? I am very surprised to see the council go AGAINST the prevailing wisdom of preserving a clear/prudent separation of pedestrians and cyclists.

Hoboken allows bikers on the street but they have to defer to pedestrian traffic. I remember former Mayor Healy stating that we could ride on the sidewalk. It was stated at a bike function.

Posted on: 2014/1/2 18:03

Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

Hide User information
Last Login :
2019/1/9 14:35
From Jersey City
Group:
Registered Users
And would this new rule apply to dirt bikes like the one being ridden on the sidewalk in the Heights yesterday? It was basically a mini-motorcyle.

Posted on: 2014/1/2 17:53

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2020/4/26 22:05
Group:
Registered Users
jc_dweller said:
Quote:

in JC, adult bikers are "technically" allowed to ride on a sidewalk, but at a speed no faster than a walker. This was adopted by City Council last year.

This is the first I am hearing of this. Could you post an actual reference to the bill and vote? I am very surprised to see the council go AGAINST the prevailing wisdom of preserving a clear/prudent separation of pedestrians and cyclists.

Posted on: 2014/1/2 17:41

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2016/10/22 1:46
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

brewster wrote:
As for the effectiveness of striping as in Hoboken, I've driven down a street there with striping to my left....and a cyclist on my right. Go figure.

This is poor education on the cyclist's part. Citibike and the upcoming bike-share in Hudson County is only going to compound the problem of cycling inexperience on busy roads.

Nonetheless, the road markings in Hoboken do conform to conventional cycling wisdom.

Posted on: 2014/1/2 17:24

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2023/7/17 17:42
From Hamilton Park
Group:
Banned
Quote:

ConstantReader wrote:
Late yesterday afternoon in the Heights, a friend of mine encountered a teenager on a dirt bike riding offroad in Mosquito Park and on the sidewalk on neighboring streets. The biker drove right between a couple of people on the sidewalk unloading a car. Really dangerous, although fortunately no one was hurt. My friend asked the biker not to ride on the sidewalk; the kid was belligerent and ended up threatening him: "I know where you live!" The police, when called later, gave a pretty lukewarm response.

Just putting this out there as a warning to other pedestrians: Watch out for idiots riding dirt bikes on the sidewalk.

(And I can't help thinking the biker is a big wuss for not taking his mechanized vehicle into the street....)

I'm confused, when you say "dirt bike", are you talking about a motorized vehicle as the term is usually applied?

As for the effectiveness of striping as in Hoboken, I've driven down a street there with striping to my left....and a cyclist on my right. Go figure.

Posted on: 2014/1/2 17:18

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2022/2/8 3:24
Group:
Registered Users
in JC, adult bikers are "technically" allowed to ride on a sidewalk, but at a speed no faster than a walker. This was adopted by City Council last year. The point is get off the sidewalk unless absolutely necessary, and then if you are on the sidewalk you might as well be walking your bike or peddling so slow that the bike hardly stays up. This is to protect walkers.

Posted on: 2014/1/2 16:31

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2016/10/22 1:46
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

Monroe wrote:
Sadly, the idea of 'keep to your right' is lost on most people, whether it's walking on a sidewalk, using paths through Liberty State Park, or on four lane roadways. If everyone just kept to their right a lot of the issues people here are mentioning would go away.

NO. Not for cycling.

TAKE the lane on a two-way road / path with traffic going both ways. Cyclists have every right to the road as cars.

Keep to your RIGHT on a road with > two lanes with traffic going both ways. Allow faster traffic to pass in the other lane.

Keep to your LEFT on a one-way street. Reference any bike lane in Hoboken on a one-way. On roads without a bike lane, still keep to your left as there's less of a chance you'll get a passenger-side car door to the face.

Posted on: 2014/1/2 16:15

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
From Western Slope
Group:
Registered Users
Generally, those that do not practice safe cycling habits have a gang type attitude. They do not like reprimand. Just take it where it comes from it is typical of their behavior. So do not approach them because they may be armed and dangerous. The life you save may be your own.

Posted on: 2014/1/2 15:53

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2014/12/15 23:01
Group:
Banned
Time to start practicing the clothesline maneuver!

Quote:

ConstantReader wrote:

Posted on: 2014/1/2 15:36

Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

Hide User information
Last Login :
2019/1/9 14:35
From Jersey City
Group:
Registered Users

Posted on: 2014/1/2 15:33

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2020/10/5 21:44
Group:
Registered Users
Sadly, the idea of 'keep to your right' is lost on most people, whether it's walking on a sidewalk, using paths through Liberty State Park, or on four lane roadways. If everyone just kept to their right a lot of the issues people here are mentioning would go away.

Posted on: 2013/7/25 13:31

Re: Sick of sidewalk bike riders, Central ave.
Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2018/2/27 0:25
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

feelngood wrote:
I generally laugh when I see the newbie cyclists cycling on the sidewalks with their helmet on. Perhaps all pedestrians should wear helmets too.

SideWalk not SideCycle.

Earlier this week, I saw this guy all decked out in spandex racing jersey and helmet living his Tour de France fantasy by riding his racing bike on the sidewalk on Grove Street in front of the A1 Deli. That was one of the lamest sights I've ever seen. Then there's the woman who owns the yellow bike with the wagon attachment (I believe it's the same bike mentioned on the stolen bike thread that someone said they saw a would-be thief trying to steal). She was tearing up the sidewalk on Newark Ave. one Saturday morning awhile back, scattering pedestrians in her wake. Little kids who ride tricylces on sidewalks are cute; adults who ride big tricycles on sidewalks are just plain asshats.

The problem has been bad for awhile, but it seems to have gotten worse this year. NYPD has been handing out tickets to bicyclists. Wonder if JCPD will ever start doing that.

Posted on: 2013/7/25 12:42

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2022/2/28 7:31
From 280 Grove Street
Group:
Registered Users
Resized Image

Posted on: 2013/7/25 2:45
My humor is for the silent blue collar majority - If my posts offend, slander or you deem inappropriate and seek deletion, contact the webmaster for jurisdiction.

Not too shy to talk
Not too shy to talk

Hide User information
Last Login :
2014/12/19 0:13
Group:
Registered Users
Well central ave is not a bike place street or sidewalk . Take summit perhaps ?or a different route. Good friend two years ago slammed into an open car door because the driver just didnt care to look in his rear. He flew off the bike hit the ground and begged he was in pain when police showed up . Officer drilled him for riding his bike and all he could do is say pleasee call the ambulance to the cop. Seconds later he yelled at the driver as to why he did not look in the rear view when he opened the passenger door , and that's when the collar bone just snapped. I could not imagine that pain and the feeling of being drilled when you broke no laws. He ended up having a case because the officer is suppose to get someone on spot.

Posted on: 2013/7/25 2:37

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2020/4/18 19:17
From Way Downtown
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

bodhipooh wrote:
oh, come on, nyrgravey9. I was NOT talking about you! I was actually referring to Heights, who loves to complain and whine about everything, and even chimed in about the loose dogs, but yet comes in this thread and clearly stated he rides on the sidewalks (but carefully!) Where's the disconnect?! There is no excuse to ride on a sidewalk. And, his doing so is illegal and inconsiderate to others. He should get off his bike and walk it when forced off the road.

My bigger point is that some people complain about a "crime" (committed by others) but then justify their own "crimes" with some (usually lame) excuse.

Honestly, as naive and unrealistic as it may sound, I really hope that the police will start to crack on all these seemingly insignificant, petty infractions. I am not necessarily advocating for tickets for everyone. As someone else on the other thread suggested, a stern reminder/talk/warning can be a sensible approach and could be very effective towards getting people to change/improve their habits and behavior.

Well-said! And to bring a couple threads together: my (leashed) dog came within inches of getting demolished by a guy tearing up the sidewalk on his bike (we were rounding the corner and did not see him coming, and vice-versa). Scary and infuriating.

Posted on: 2013/7/25 2:25

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
Group:
Registered Users
oh, come on, nyrgravey9. I was NOT talking about you! I was actually referring to Heights, who loves to complain and whine about everything, and even chimed in about the loose dogs, but yet comes in this thread and clearly stated he rides on the sidewalks (but carefully!) Where's the disconnect?! There is no excuse to ride on a sidewalk. And, his doing so is illegal and inconsiderate to others. He should get off his bike and walk it when forced off the road.

My bigger point is that some people complain about a "crime" (committed by others) but then justify their own "crimes" with some (usually lame) excuse.

Honestly, as naive and unrealistic as it may sound, I really hope that the police will start to crack on all these seemingly insignificant, petty infractions. I am not necessarily advocating for tickets for everyone. As someone else on the other thread suggested, a stern reminder/talk/warning can be a sensible approach and could be very effective towards getting people to change/improve their habits and behavior.

Posted on: 2013/7/25 1:20

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2014/12/15 23:01
Group:
Banned
bodi, you speak for me? This is an issue I haven't been affected by, so why would I opine or do something about it?

The dog problem however, has affected me, so that's what I choose to work to fix.

Not picking a fight here. I just don't like how everyone excuses one transgression, by pointing out another. We as a society can address more than one issue at a time. But when addressing one issue, address THAT issue. Don't the "well, XYZ is worse, so let's address that instead" card. Address them both!

Quote:

bodhipooh wrote:
100% in agreement with feelngood!

There is ABSOLUTELY NO EXCUSE to ride on a sidewalk. I don't care what excuse you have. And, this is coming from a daily bike commuter. If the road conditions are such that you don't feel safe riding where you belong, get on the sidewalk, dismount and walk your bike. It is the right and decent thing to do. I find it funny that some of the people complaining about offleash dogs, and other "minor" crimes, find it convenient to excuse their transgressions. Just because you THINK you are being careful, it doesn't entitle you to break the law and ride on a sidewalk.

Posted on: 2013/7/24 20:56

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
Group:
Registered Users
100% in agreement with feelngood!

There is ABSOLUTELY NO EXCUSE to ride on a sidewalk. I don't care what excuse you have. And, this is coming from a daily bike commuter. If the road conditions are such that you don't feel safe riding where you belong, get on the sidewalk, dismount and walk your bike. It is the right and decent thing to do. I find it funny that some of the people complaining about offleash dogs, and other "minor" crimes, find it convenient to excuse their transgressions. Just because you THINK you are being careful, it doesn't entitle you to break the law and ride on a sidewalk.

Posted on: 2013/7/24 20:48

Quite a regular
Quite a regular

Hide User information
Last Login :
2018/8/24 16:17
Group:
Registered Users
Sam112, I ride downtown all the time, I also drive. However, cyclists will never help themselves in their lot by scurrying to the sidewalk 'due to heavy traffic". If one can't cycle in traffic - pack up the bike and walk!!
I am fed up with delivery guys, new residents, thugs and general douchebags cycling on the already busy sidewalks and being a general danger. I generally laugh when I see the newbie cyclists cycling on the sidewalks with their helmet on. Perhaps all pedestrians should wear helmets too.

SideWalk not SideCycle.

Posted on: 2013/7/24 20:30

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
From Western Slope
Group:
Registered Users
I would not recommend riding on heavy commerce streets such as Central Ave. it is just too busy with shoppers and people exiting their cars frequently. Sometimes you have to go out of your way on a road that is parallel to a busy street you are trying to avoid...it just makes sense. If you must ride on Central, the area between the state highway (139) and Manhattan Ave. is most forgiving.

As far as lanes are concerned during the Healy administration 54 miles of bike lanes were approved starting with temporary lane in front of city hall.

Posted on: 2013/7/24 17:16

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2019/1/2 2:11
Group:
Registered Users
I am not condoning careless behavior on the part of some bikers; but, the trouble is that many JC drivers are a threat to anyone riding a bike in the street. I ride in the street whenever possible, but there are many locations where drivers are flying through the streets oblivious to everything. I've been very close to being side-swiped or doored numerous times. Put parked SUVs and passing SUVs on both sides of narrow 2-way street, like Central Avenue, and cyclists have only a a sliver of space. The only positive thing about Central Ave. is traffic usually is slower so you don't have as many speeding cars. But, you do have a lot of people in parked cars who just swing open their doors without looking. If I get doored on Central, I have a good probabilty of being thrown in front of an oncoming car. Personally, I avoid Central Ave. if possible.

The facts are Jersey City motorists are not used to sharing the street with bikers and the City has been reluctant to assign space for bike lanes. The red light cameras at some locations are great to promote safer driving but they are only just a beginning. Every day, I see drivers doing stupid things that put both cyclists, pedestrians, and other motorists at risk.

If the city wants to promote green alternatives and/or make biking safe so that bikers don't feel like their risking their lives by going into the streets, they need to develop real bike lanes.

Posted on: 2013/7/24 15:50

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
From Western Slope
Group:
Registered Users
I ride and I am aware of my surroundings if I do ride on the sidewalk I am extremely careful and only do it when need be. I ride with traffic so not to approach oncoming traffic at the corner as I saw this morning when a woman coming from the Indian church on Hoboken and Central avenues turned against oncoming traffic in a timid way.

It's insane these idiots just fly by without a care in the world ready to take anyone down in their path. They have nothing to lose if they cause injury so what can you sue them for ? When I step out of Rizzo's I have to stop and look both ways before putting my feet on the sidewalk. This is similar to a hit and run 'cause they just look back and say 'what happened?" and go on their merry way.

It's usually the same type of people thugs, ignorant, or new residents. If you try to say something, the thugs will give you the evil eye, the ignorant will tell you to f--k off, and the newbies will either tune you out, smile or mutter something that cannot be understood. Where is the liability in all of this ? Time to report this to the police Captain at the Captain's Meeting 7pm 3rd Wednesday of the month at #7 school. We need enforcement !

Posted on: 2013/7/24 14:28

Sick of sidewalk bike riders, Central ave.
Not too shy to talk
Not too shy to talk

Hide User information
Last Login :
2013/12/4 0:36
Group:
Registered Users
Part of the reason are the sloped corners that allow for wheelchair access. Not that these are bad - for intended purposes - but it makes bike riding on the sidewalk too easy! These idiots fly along Central ave. on their bikes... on the SIDEWALK! Bicyclists cannot obey the rules of the road when they're on the sidewalk. Enough is enough!

Anyway, as of today there's now legal precedent for prosecution. Below is a manslaughter case involving a bike rider in San Fran. And the rider was not even on the sidewalk. "First of it's kind" it's called.

http://www.guardian.co.uk/law/2013/ju ... isco-cyclist-manslaughter

Lets not have a senior or anyone else killed by these fools! The city is on notice of the danger.

Posted on: 2013/7/24 13:20
Resized Image

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2020/9/25 20:40
From somewhere else
Group:
Registered Users

Posted on: 2012/6/29 23:32

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2022/9/29 17:41
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

Mr_Johnson wrote:
Quote:

jzara wrote:
i see a lot of ambling people on bikes just cruising on the sidewalk around here and it's obvious it's a symptom of having zero bike infrastructure. you never see that in manhattan. joe schmoe on the beach cruiser isn't going to have any idea that you're not supposed to ride on the sidewalk because there is nothing around to indicate otherwise.

How about common sense? I don't see cars driving on the sidewalk.

Have you even been on Newark ave where cars park half on the sidewalk or CC Blvd where cars actually park entirely on the sidewalk?

Posted on: 2012/6/29 16:47

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2023/7/17 17:42
From Hamilton Park
Group:
Banned
Quote:

Mr_Johnson wrote:
I don't see cars driving on the sidewalk.

Guess you haven't been in JC long enough. Plenty of places where cars habitually park on the sidewalk. Gotta drive to get there.

Posted on: 2012/6/29 16:21

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2013/3/8 15:08
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

jzara wrote:
i see a lot of ambling people on bikes just cruising on the sidewalk around here and it's obvious it's a symptom of having zero bike infrastructure. you never see that in manhattan. joe schmoe on the beach cruiser isn't going to have any idea that you're not supposed to ride on the sidewalk because there is nothing around to indicate otherwise.

How about common sense? I don't see cars driving on the sidewalk.

Posted on: 2012/6/29 15:59

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2014/1/22 9:03
From The Heights
Group:
Registered Users
Here's an idea.

Let's all share the roads and sidewalks and be nice to one another

Posted on: 2012/6/29 14:40

Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

Hide User information
Last Login :
2013/2/27 0:25
Group:
Registered Users

Posted on: 2012/6/29 3:24

« 1 ... 4 5 6 (7) 8 »

[Advanced Search]

Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!

LicenseInformation | AboutUs | PrivacyPolicy | Faq | Contact

JERSEY CITY LIST - News & Reviews - Jersey City, NJ - Copyright 2004 - 2017