Register now !    Login  
Main Menu
Who's Online
126 user(s) are online (115 user(s) are browsing Message Forum)

Members: 0
Guests: 126

more...

Browsing this Thread:   1 Anonymous Users

Re: What are your New Year's Eve traditions?
Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

Hide User information
Last Login :
2016/8/14 23:51
From The West Side!
Group:
Registered Users
When I was a child my family developed the tradition of staying in, sometimes with a few friends/guests who would stay the night. Everyone would get to pick one consumable they'd like to have, and one board or card game they'd like to play. Needless to say, these were 6-8 person affairs.

This would result in some fairly odd combinations, like the year we had snails wrapped in bacon and chocolate mint liqueur. I'm sure we had other things, but somehow those two stood out.

Most years now we do a similar variation, stay in or over with close friends, stuff to nosh on, conversation and a good movie. In fact I'm just about to grill some nice ribeye steaks for the main course.

As for midnight and the new year's cheer, some years back we also adopted a custom from a Nigerian friend of taking a glass of water and, at midnight, throwing the water on the ground as a symbol of the things you'd like to throw out and not carry into the coming year.

Wishing all of JCList a happy and healthy new year.

Posted on: 2014/1/1 0:22

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2020/5/9 11:15
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

JerseyCityFrankie wrote:
In the southern United States, eating Hoppin' John on New Year's Day is thought to bring a prosperous year filled with luck: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hoppin'_John

6 slices bacon, chopped
1 (1- to 1 1/2-pound) boneless ham, cut into 3/4-inch-thick planks
1 onion, chopped fine
2 celery ribs, chopped fine
4 garlic cloves, minced
1/2 teaspoon dried thyme
4 cups chicken broth
2 lbs black-eyed peas
2 bay leaves
1 1/2 cups long-grain rice
3 scallions, sliced thin

1. BROWN PORK Cook bacon until crisp, about 8 minutes. Pour off all but 1 tablespoon fat from pot and brown ham, about 3 minutes per side.

2. COOK VEGETABLES Add onion and celery until softened, about 5 minutes. Stir in garlic and thyme. Add broth, peas, bay leaves, and browned ham and bring to boil. Reduce heat to low and simmer, covered, until beans are just tender, about 20 minutes.

3. SIMMER RICE. stir into pot. Simmer covered until liquid is absorbed and rice is tender, about 20 minutes. Remove from heat and let stand, covered, for 10 minutes. Fluff rice with fork. Stir in scallions, bacon, and ham. Serve.

My southern friends in the city always make this on new years day I'm looking forward to a feast. I'ts supposed to bring you good luck.

Posted on: 2013/12/31 15:45

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2020/10/5 21:44
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

YouniqPilates wrote:
Whatever we do, it is a tradition that we have better night-outs during a random weekend in a year:)

I agree, I wouldn't go out to a restaurant on NYE. You get indifferent food and service, and have to deal with the people who get drunk twice a year, the other day being St. Patrick's. And you have to worry about over indulged drivers.

Posted on: 2013/12/31 13:17

Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

Hide User information
Last Login :
2014/8/29 19:11
From Jersey City
Group:
Registered Users
Whatever we do, it is a tradition that we have better night-outs during a random weekend in a year:)

Posted on: 2013/12/31 12:40

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2020/7/22 15:58
Group:
Registered Users
In the southern United States, eating Hoppin' John on New Year's Day is thought to bring a prosperous year filled with luck: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hoppin'_John

6 slices bacon, chopped
1 (1- to 1 1/2-pound) boneless ham, cut into 3/4-inch-thick planks
1 onion, chopped fine
2 celery ribs, chopped fine
4 garlic cloves, minced
1/2 teaspoon dried thyme
4 cups chicken broth
2 lbs black-eyed peas
2 bay leaves
1 1/2 cups long-grain rice
3 scallions, sliced thin

1. BROWN PORK Cook bacon until crisp, about 8 minutes. Pour off all but 1 tablespoon fat from pot and brown ham, about 3 minutes per side.

2. COOK VEGETABLES Add onion and celery until softened, about 5 minutes. Stir in garlic and thyme. Add broth, peas, bay leaves, and browned ham and bring to boil. Reduce heat to low and simmer, covered, until beans are just tender, about 20 minutes.

3. SIMMER RICE. stir into pot. Simmer covered until liquid is absorbed and rice is tender, about 20 minutes. Remove from heat and let stand, covered, for 10 minutes. Fluff rice with fork. Stir in scallions, bacon, and ham. Serve.

Posted on: 2013/12/30 15:51

Quite a regular
Quite a regular

Hide User information
Last Login :
2014/7/31 18:01
From In your dreams
Group:
Registered Users
Doing what I do best - WORKING!! Lol

Posted on: 2013/12/30 14:59

What are your New Year's Eve traditions?
Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2020/10/5 21:44
Group:
Registered Users
We're heading to the shore house where we'll meet up with my best friend since 2nd grade and his wife-I don't think I've missed a New Year's Eve with them in 25 years. We're bringing down appetizers-making phyllo cups with a cheesy sausage filling, I had Andrea Salumeria slice up a hot and a sweet sopressatta, and I'm picking up a Sicilian pizza from Santillo's in Elizabeth to cut into small squares. My friend is bringing a standing rib roast and sides. Another friend is doing salad and desserts. They supply the wine for dinner, I'm bringing triple ginger beer, Patron, and limes to make cocktails.

Breakfast will be a French toast strata, sectioned citrus, and Bloody Mary's with pickled asparagus spears I've put up. We traditionally phone some of our friends who live in different parts of the country and pass the phone around sometime before midnight. After breakfast we take a walk on the boardwalk-it'll be a much happier walk this year than last . . .

What do you do?

Posted on: 2013/12/30 14:54

[Advanced Search]

Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!

LicenseInformation | AboutUs | PrivacyPolicy | Faq | Contact

JERSEY CITY LIST - News & Reviews - Jersey City, NJ - Copyright 2004 - 2017