Register now !    Login  
Main Menu
Who's Online
111 user(s) are online (93 user(s) are browsing Message Forum)

Members: 0
Guests: 111

more...

Browsing this Thread:   1 Anonymous Users

« 1 (2) 3 4 »

Re: Greenpoint's WORD Bookstore coming to Jersey City
Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2023/7/17 17:42
From Hamilton Park
Group:
Banned
FWIW, I tend to enjoy used bookstores more than new. There's a quality of serendipity, of not know what you'll find when you go to, say, the history section. You might find a volume by HG Wells or Churchill rather than being sure to find the latest Doris Kearns Goodwin, etc.

Posted on: 2013/12/16 3:57

Quite a regular
Quite a regular

Hide User information
Last Login :
2016/2/27 22:17
Group:
Registered Users
Nemobeatz.. I will drop into Tachair the next time I'm in that neighborhood. I want to keep small businesses going, and not just Word.

I think people don't give Tachair the love they should because they think that it's an Irish import store. I can't be the only person in town who was thrown off by the Gaelic name and font on their sign.
It is aesthetically pleasing but really misleading.

Posted on: 2013/12/16 3:16

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2017/12/28 0:40
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

nemobeatz wrote:
I don't understand why Tachair doesn't get this same amount of love. Is it because it's not originally from BK?

Because it's new... Just how everyone gets excited when anything new opens dowtown. Not because it's originally from BK

Posted on: 2013/12/16 2:44

Quite a regular
Quite a regular

Hide User information
Last Login :
2016/9/10 2:34
From Lafayette
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

SilveryJessica wrote:
Because the pleasure of bookstores is being in a bookstore. Surrounded by all of that material. Touching books. Leafing through them. Seeing what other people are looking at. Noticing titles I didn't know about. Asking people questions. I don't understand how it is any more anachronistic than food shopping is anachronistic in the days of Fresh Direct. If you like the experience you get from buying books online, great. I've bought books online. It isn't a binary world: buy books in person/do not buy books in person. If I need a textbook, I order it online. If I want to see what strikes my fancy, I want a bookstore.

If you don't go to readings or meetings or signings or any other kind of gathering that might take place in a bookstore, and you're going to make your coffee at home and everything else, then yes, you're not going to get it and that's fine. Bookstores attract other business. They suggest a level of income and education in that area that gives confidence to other small business owners. They typically serve as de facto community gathering places because they DO host events and showcase local artists and writers, and they are good distribution points for other cultural events.

If you don't like or value bookstores, that's perfectly fine. Just because it's 2013 doesn't mean bookstores can't succeed. When people are struggling, they don't buy books. They go to the library. When people are flush, they buy books.

+1

Thanks, Silvery Jessica, for saying exactly what I wanted to say. I'm glad that JC is getting its second bookstore. And yes, Nemobeatz, I like Tachair, too!

Posted on: 2013/12/16 2:35

Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

Hide User information
Last Login :
2015/8/5 0:12
From Downtown JC/Harsimus Cove
Group:
Registered Users
Because the pleasure of bookstores is being in a bookstore. Surrounded by all of that material. Touching books. Leafing through them. Seeing what other people are looking at. Noticing titles I didn't know about. Asking people questions. I don't understand how it is any more anachronistic than food shopping is anachronistic in the days of Fresh Direct. If you like the experience you get from buying books online, great. I've bought books online. It isn't a binary world: buy books in person/do not buy books in person. If I need a textbook, I order it online. If I want to see what strikes my fancy, I want a bookstore.

If you don't go to readings or meetings or signings or any other kind of gathering that might take place in a bookstore, and you're going to make your coffee at home and everything else, then yes, you're not going to get it and that's fine. Bookstores attract other business. They suggest a level of income and education in that area that gives confidence to other small business owners. They typically serve as de facto community gathering places because they DO host events and showcase local artists and writers, and they are good distribution points for other cultural events.

If you don't like or value bookstores, that's perfectly fine. Just because it's 2013 doesn't mean bookstores can't succeed. When people are struggling, they don't buy books. They go to the library. When people are flush, they buy books.

Posted on: 2013/12/16 0:56

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2020/3/22 6:01
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

erstrecs wrote:
I've never been to a book reading in my life and don't understand the appeal.

just spitballin' here, but perhaps you'd understand the appeal if you actually went to one?

Posted on: 2013/12/16 0:48

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2015/2/5 16:38
Group:
Banned
Quote:

erstrecs wrote:
there are plenty of good cafes in the area these days (I'd recommend people support Bien Cuit and Cocoa for starters), but if the pitch is that it's a cafe with events that happens to sell books also, I guess I get that. it's not really for me, but I get it.

You're not looking for a debate but you keep trying to ram your point home over and over again. We get it, you'd rather sit at a computer all day clicking around than go out in public. Good for you?

I don't know how you do it, but I find it difficult to keep up on book news and be aware of every single new release that I might be interested in or every book that has been published in the past that I've missed. Going to a book store to scan titles and thumb through titles that look interesting just seems a lot more efficient than going to various Amazon pages, clicking on the summary, reading it, checking the reviews while avoiding spoilers, etc, until my eyes hurt and my ass is going numb from sitting in front of the computer. I'm happy to pay the premium.

Posted on: 2013/12/16 0:40

Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

Hide User information
Last Login :
2022/4/12 12:27
Group:
Registered Users
there are plenty of good cafes in the area these days (I'd recommend people support Bien Cuit and Cocoa for starters), but if the pitch is that it's a cafe with events that happens to sell books also, I guess I get that. it's not really for me, but I get it.

Posted on: 2013/12/16 0:23

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2015/6/25 17:42
Group:
Registered Users
Word is the kind of place you can pop in when you need a quick but nice gift for a kid or adult. They have a nice card and stationery selection also. Once there is a cafe that will be good as well - those of us who work from home like having a place to work during the day. They also have a screen and a projector so I could see them doing movie screenings and discussion groups.

A good bookstore is more than just a place to buy books, just as a good coffeehouse is more than just a place to get a cup of joe or a good bar is more than just a place to buy some booze to drink.

Posted on: 2013/12/16 0:03

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2018/8/14 15:19
From Lafayette
Group:
Registered Users
I don't understand why Tachair doesn't get this same amount of love. Is it because it's not originally from BK?

Posted on: 2013/12/15 23:28

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2017/4/20 19:08
Group:
Registered Users
Unlike erstrecs, I don't mind a debate so I'm just going to say it..

Opening a book store in 2013 is like opening a dvd or even vhs store. It's antiquated. I hope they succeed too as having a book store is 100000000x better than another discount store or empty lot but asking why a book store is needed in 2013, with 2014 less than a month away is a great question.

Posted on: 2013/12/15 23:17

Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

Hide User information
Last Login :
Group:
Registered Users
FWIW, a store that was actually 'important to our neighborhood' (IMO, obviously) is Nha Trang Market which was pushed out (last day of business today) to make room for even more condos.

I'm absolutely not looking for a debate here, just giving my perspective. of course, I've never been to a book reading in my life and don't understand the appeal and I have a very good coffee maker at home. to me, a bookstore is to buy books, and I can do that more effectively (selection) and cheaper online.

Posted on: 2013/12/15 22:44

Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

Hide User information
Last Login :
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:
You can buy groceries online, often for cheaper. Do you understand why it's good for neighborhoods to have grocery stores? You can watch live concerts online, often for free. Do you understand why it's good for neighborhoods to have music venues?

both terrible comparisons.

and I don't buy that a book store is a 'cultural institution' or a place for 'art and ideas' (ha!), no matter how many 'readings, signings and other events' they hold, so no, you won't convince me.

and I'm not trying to convince anyone either, just trying to understand and you've given that your best shot with only a bit of unnecessary snark, so thanks.

(FWIW, I've lived in this neighborhood since graduating college 25 years ago, so I also don't need to be lectured about what it needs and doesn't need)

Posted on: 2013/12/15 22:10

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2021/10/11 21:09
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

erstrecs wrote:

hopefully I can ask this without being jumped on, but why exactly? why are bookstores necessary in a world where Amazon can get whatever you want to you within a day or two at a presumably cheaper price than you'd pay at Word or any other bookstore?

this is a genuine question from a fairly big reader, I really don't get it.

You can buy groceries online, often for cheaper. Do you understand why it's good for neighborhoods to have grocery stores? You can watch live concerts online, often for free. Do you understand why it's good for neighborhoods to have music venues?

When I moved to downtown JC, it didn't have all the basic shops a neighborhood should have. Now it has that and more -- like a burgeoning restaurant scene. The next step in the transformation of downtown is cultural institutions. Word is a fantastic step in that direction. It's a well-curated shop where neighbors can get together and browse or have a cup of coffee. Soon, it will begin holding readings, signings, and other events. It's a place for art and ideas, and I love that. Do you want another bank or nail salon?

I didn't say it was the cheapest place in the world to buy books, I said it's important to our neighborhood. I will probably never convince the very hip Erstrecs, who will continue to save a few dollars by buying online, but I hope the rest of use will see what a good business this is for our neighborhood and will support it.

Posted on: 2013/12/15 20:54

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2014/12/21 14:01
Group:
Banned
Quote:

erstrecs wrote:
Quote:
Let's give Word regular business, because it's a fantastic addition to the neighborhood.

hopefully I can ask this without being jumped on, but why exactly? why are bookstores necessary in a world where Amazon can get whatever you want to you within a day or two at a presumably cheaper price than you'd pay at Word or any other bookstore?

I read a lot and book stores now are in sixth place for me behind:
1. the library - I qualify for a NYC library card
2. Grace Church booksale - mostly for mysteries and classics
3. Amazon - often for books from the library that I want on to refer to - especially cookbooks
4. Amazon and other on line providers for French books
5. The Internet - does anyone buy cookbooks to find out how to cook parsnips, for example?

Posted on: 2013/12/15 19:47

Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

Hide User information
Last Login :
Group:
Registered Users
ok, thanks. I've always had a strong idea of what I wanted to buy beforehand, so I am usually happy with internet shopping for books or music. FWIW, 'chocolatecake', you can essentially thumb through many books at Amazon in recent years, as they've tried to replicate that function.

supermarkets/clothing stores are a bad comparison IMO, there are reasons to see/touch one's food and clothes before purchase, whereas with books, you're getting the same thing online or in a store.

anyway, I'll check it out and I guess I wish them success, but for me bookstores are a pretty anachronistic concept in 2013.

Posted on: 2013/12/15 17:13

Quite a regular
Quite a regular

Hide User information
Last Login :
Group:
Registered Users
Also, erstrecs, I often need to thumb through a book to see if I really want to buy it. You can't do that online (yet, at least : ) )

Posted on: 2013/12/15 14:54

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2016/10/21 19:48
Group:
Registered Users
People go into book stores to browse. Not everyone has a fixed idea of what book to read next. I bought two books for my nephews that I would not have seen otherwise.

Posted on: 2013/12/15 13:38

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2022/4/28 22:07
Group:
Registered Users
same reason supermarkets and clothing stores and such still exist. because people like going shopping sometimes.

Posted on: 2013/12/15 13:33

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2023/1/30 21:43
Group:
Registered Users
not everyone wants to shop at amazon, or wal-mart, or use microsoft windows, or use google search or use an iphone

Posted on: 2013/12/15 12:12

Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

Hide User information
Last Login :
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:
Let's give Word regular business, because it's a fantastic addition to the neighborhood.

Posted on: 2013/12/15 9:03

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2021/10/11 21:09
Group:
Registered Users
I was there, too, and made a little purchase to support them. Impressed by the selection and by the number of people who came out. Let's give Word regular business, because it's a fantastic addition to the neighborhood.

Posted on: 2013/12/15 3:35

Quite a regular
Quite a regular

Hide User information
Last Login :
Group:
Registered Users
I did a little shopping there today. Great place...small but well-curated selection of books, inviting atmosphere, good location. They are working on getting their cafe license and the guy who I talked to at the front desk said they were planning readings, etc. So exciting!

Posted on: 2013/12/15 1:52

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2016/10/21 19:48
Group:
Registered Users
WORD was crowded, lots of holiday shopping. A great addition to the neighborhood

Posted on: 2013/12/14 22:04

Quite a regular
Quite a regular

Hide User information
Last Login :
Group:
Registered Users
YAY! That is really good news. I'm wishing them great success.

Posted on: 2013/12/14 2:14

Not too shy to talk
Not too shy to talk

Hide User information
Last Login :
2016/9/9 18:21
Group:
Registered Users
Looks like tomorrow is the big day!

From their Facebook page:
At last! Our bookstore soft opening is TOMORROW, December 14, 9 a.m. - 10 p.m.! We?ve got books on the shelves and are SO READY to help you find gifts for everyone on your list.

The caf? has a few more days to go, but will be open later next week, at which point we will be prepared to help you with all your caffeine/snack needs.

YOU GUYS! COME SEE US TOMORROW! 123 Newark Ave. It?s all happening.

Posted on: 2013/12/13 18:46

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2023/2/6 21:56
Group:
Registered Users
New Jersey City bookstore should open in 'days,' owner says

By Terrence T. McDonald/The Jersey Journal

Jersey City?s new first-run bookstore, Hudson County?s first since the Hoboken Barnes and Noble closed more than three years ago, will soon open its doors to the public.

Word, located on a Newark Avenue storefront a few hundred feet from the Grove Street PATH station, held a sneak preview last night in advance of the store?s opening. Owner Christine Onorati said the store, minus its caf?, should open in a few days, and the caf? soon after.

?It?s been a bit of a longer slog than I had hoped for,? said Onorati, who runs Word?s Brooklyn store, adding, ?We have to be open by Christmas.?

READ MORE

Posted on: 2013/12/13 15:17

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2019/4/25 12:43
Group:
Registered Users

Posted on: 2013/11/12 15:42

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2017/12/28 0:40
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

Seagull wrote:
Signage went up today, so they're probably close to opening

To add to the speculation that they're close, I've also seen the "WORD" bookstore van around town the last couple of weeks.

Posted on: 2013/11/12 14:24

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2018/7/19 15:21
Group:
Registered Users
Signage went up today, so they're probably close to opening

Posted on: 2013/11/12 4:06

« 1 (2) 3 4 »