Register now !    Login  
Main Menu
Who's Online
60 user(s) are online (58 user(s) are browsing Message Forum)

Members: 0
Guests: 60

more...

Browsing this Thread:   1 Anonymous Users

Re: Donation Options for Holiday Season
Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2018/9/5 2:01
From Hamilton Park
Group:
Registered Users
I have been giving to HIGHWAYS (The Windmill Alliance) in Bayonne - located right by the Windmill. They provide assistance to mentally and physically challenged adults.

They gladly accept monetary and physical gifts - I have taken clothing, cleaning goods, and canned/dry food.

http://www.windmillalliance.org/

Posted on: 2013/12/17 20:05

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2015/5/11 13:34
From Downtown
Group:
Registered Users
It's surprisingly difficult to find local charities online. I found one or two, but they only serve women and children. Men are often left out of charitable giving. Can't find any men's charity in JC. May end up having to send my money out of town.

Posted on: 2013/12/17 19:35

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2018/8/16 15:40
From Village
Group:
Registered Users
I like the New York Cares Winter Wishes program (fulfilling gift requests from children in need). It's a little late to sign up this year but if you'd be able to fulfill gift requests fairly quickly, it's probably still worth it. (I get the sense that most of the participating organizations will be holding holiday parties at which the gifts are distributed this week or next.) http://www.newyorkcares.org/winter-wishes

I'm also sponsoring a family for Christmas dinner through the Food Bank of Somerville (shopping for and delivering a meal of their choosing). I signed up through my mother's church - I tried to find out if one of the more local food banks has a similar program but couldn't find anything. I'd love to hear if anyone has more luck that I did finding a way to do this more locally.

Posted on: 2013/12/10 19:58

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2022/1/29 1:10
Group:
Registered Users
Don't forget St. Lucy's Shelter (they always need food and other personal care items) and Liberty Humane Society. Here's a neat project I just discovered:

About Frosty's Friends

Link: http://www.jerseycares.org/JC_Frostys_Friends

There are so many children in need of joy and cheer all over the world ? and so many here in our own New Jersey neighborhoods. Jersey Cares connects agency partners' children in need with Frosty's Friends volunteers.

How the Program Works

Each participating volunteer or group of volunteers will receive letters written by children (or pictures from those under the age of 4) between the ages of 4-16. Volunteers then purchase a gift by Wednesday, December 18, 2013 and mail it directly to the child via the agency. The recommended price range of gifts is $25-$40.

Registration

Agencies Receiving Gifts - Please click here to register to receive gifts from Frosty.

Individuals/Groups/Companies Providing Gifts - Frosty's Friends volunteers may participate as Individuals or in a group. If you participate in a group, please nominate one person to be your head Frosty. You may register online once you or your group has registered, you will receive your letters. Please send your gift(s) in time to reach the agency no later than Wednesday, December 18, 2013.

Letter Reading Projects
Throughout the month of November and December, volunteers are needed to review the Frosty's Friends letters in our office before distributing. Please check the November and December Volunteer Opportunity Calendar for dates and times.

Holiday Parties

If you are interested in hosting a holiday party at an agency from which your children's letters have come, please contact Stephanie Asymkos in the Jersey Cares office at 973-424-1091 or stephanie@jerseycares.org to be matched with a local partner.

The Children

The children receiving gifts are from shelters and other non-profit organizations that have programs for children in need. Some of these agencies also benefit from Jersey Cares monthly calendar projects, corporate service projects, the First Night Kit Program or the Annual Coat Drive. Participating agencies are located throughout the state. If you prefer to deliver your gift in person, please specify this upon registration so we can match you with an agency in your area. Unfortunately, we cannot provide children's personal addresses or last names; all communication must go through our agency partners for security reasons. Each letter or picture will labeled with the originating agency's information including a contact name and number for any specific questions.

Posted on: 2013/12/10 19:28

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
Group:
Registered Users
Coat drive information for Jersey City:

A New Jersey charity hopes to collect 60,000 winter coats this year for people who need protection from the harsh winter weather.

Jersey Cares is hosting its 18th annual coat drive this year, and hopes to collect and distribute more than 60,000 "gently used" winter coats to men, women and children throughout the state, according the organization. The nonprofit will collect the coats now through February 2014.

Four locations in Hudson County are collecting the coats:
?Elysian Cafe, 1001 Washington Street, Hoboken. Coats accepted Monday through Friday, 12 to 10 p.m.; Saturday and Sunday, 10 a.m. to 10 p.m.
?Storage Post, 203 Broadway, Jersey City. Coats accepted Monday through Saturday, 9 a.m. to 6 p.m.; Sunday 10 a.m. to 4 p.m.
?Union City High School, 2500 Kennedy Boulevard, Union City. Coats accepted Monday through Friday, 9 a.m. to 3 p.m.
?Lenox Outlet, 60 Enterprise Avenue North, Secaucus. Coats accepted Monday through Friday 10 a.m. to 6 p.m.

Posted on: 2013/12/10 19:23

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
Group:
Registered Users
I give to local public schools through a special website named DonorsChoose.org.
They highlight the needs of teachers who post their projects on the site which cannot be funded through ordinary budget expenditures.

Here's one in Jersey City:

http://www.donorschoose.org/project/l ... copyURL_dccontent_2013_12

Excerpt:

Ms. Miller's Supplies project at James Murray Elementary School 38 in Jersey City, NJ
I am implementing leveled literacy centers which address all areas of early literacy skills and strategies to make students thrive!
My students include 22 vivacious kindergarteners who are very eager to learn all about letters, sounds, words and of course how to read! They want nothing more than to practice their letter sounds and put them together to make words. It is so fulfilling to see them light up when they actually read a word for the first time!
Our school is in the 2nd largest urban school district in New Jersey. Over the past few years our budget for materials like the ones I am requesting have dwindled and now no longer exist. These materials will unlock the gift and magic of reading for my students.

Posted on: 2013/12/10 19:14

Hide User information
Last Login :
2015/9/5 14:33
Group:
Registered Users
I too have been looking for options. Every year my family gets involved with Operation Santa out of the Farley PO in NYC. This year I also wanted to do something local.
So far I've found:
St. Lucy's Shelter / Jerseycares.org
York Street Project / Yorkstreetproject.org
Angela Cares (senior advocacy) / angelacares.org

Would be interested in hearing of others too...

Posted on: 2013/12/10 18:58

Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

Hide User information
Last Login :
2017/3/3 21:06
Group:
Registered Users
The Sharing Place at St. Paul's Lutheran Church at Five Corners is currently holding a food drive. Details and contact info here. Folks on this board came through in a big way for them last time I asked, so I hope we'll have a good response again.

Posted on: 2013/12/10 18:30

Donation Options for Holiday Season
Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2016/1/31 23:18
Group:
Registered Users
Don't mean a toy drive (although great idea). More like supporting a family, food donations, etc. Suggestions?

Posted on: 2013/12/10 13:49

[Advanced Search]

Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!

LicenseInformation | AboutUs | PrivacyPolicy | Faq | Contact

JERSEY CITY LIST - News & Reviews - Jersey City, NJ - Copyright 2004 - 2017