Register now !    Login  
Main Menu
Who's Online
120 user(s) are online (95 user(s) are browsing Message Forum)

Members: 0
Guests: 120

more...

Browsing this Thread:   1 Anonymous Users

« 1 2 3 4 (5) 6 7 8 ... 12 »

Re: Thirty Acres Restaurant- Jersey Avenue
Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2019/5/9 22:13
Group:
Registered Users
So sad to see them go.

I hope whoever takes over that space will be just as worthy!!!

Posted on: 2015/10/6 1:04

Not too shy to talk
Not too shy to talk

Hide User information
Last Login :
2016/8/22 11:34
Group:
Registered Users
most over priced over hyped restaurant. That restaurant? Mi fa cagare!

Posted on: 2015/10/6 1:04

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2019/12/26 15:30
From GV Bayside Park
Group:
Registered Users
Jersey City is a very transient place, no one stays forever. So long!

Posted on: 2015/10/6 0:40

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2017/6/16 2:51
Group:
Registered Users
wow sad to see this place close .... definitely one of the only real "foodie" places in the area (though I do also get that the tasting concept makes it a bit difficult for many)

I was actually just thinking about making a reservation for our anniversary this week - I guess it will be our last

from facebook
Hey Everybody! It is with both sadness and excitement that we would like to announce that Alex, Kevin & Vivian will be leaving Jersey City for the great Pacific Northwest. Thirty Acres will officially be closing it's doors Saturday November 28th. We will be taking tasting menu reservations through Wednesday 11/25 and plan on blowing it out with 2 days of OG a la carte dining and drinking for our final weekend. Thank you all for the support and love over the past (nearly) 4 years here in JC. We hope to see you all in Seattle in the future!

Posted on: 2015/10/6 0:02

Alex Pemoulie of Thirty Acres featured in Forbes "30 Under 30"!!
Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2014/12/15 23:01
Group:
Banned
Congrats to Alex and all of Thirty Acres!

Forbes 30 Under 30

Posted on: 2014/1/6 20:53

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2017/8/3 1:06
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

Nori wrote:
30 acres is doing well but it?s currently riding the hype train so you have many new customers coming in weekly. I just hope they can keep a loyal clientele and they stay in business for years to come. In order for them to do that, I would think they would need to lower their prices but hey, I could be wrong!

Hey! You could be wrong! You really think they need your pricing advice? Why do they need to lower prices? They have more than enough customers right now.

Quote:

Let?s be honest, we live in JC for the value. This is not Tribecca.

Tell that to all of the people who wait in line to get into 30 Acres.
Quote:

I think TGI Fridays, Olive Garden and Red Lobster has some of the worst food known to man but go to time sq on the weekends and it?s packed. Guys American Bar and Kitchen, I?ve tried it out of curiosity. It?s sht. But people wait in lines to go there so I?m obviously wrong.

Yup.

Quote:

I?m not arguing that 30 Acres can charge whatever they want, they obviously do. But you can?t say that its unfair for me to call it overpriced compared to other restaurants until you have looked into their books and see what their overhead is and compare it to other restaurants in the city.

Again, it's silly to say they are overpriced when people are more than happy to pay their prices.

Posted on: 2013/12/8 1:10

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

Frank_M wrote:
Okay... rewind.

Quote:

WhoElse wrote:
The place is packed all of the time.. which indicates that the price is fair or could even go higher.

A packed restaurant? A more logical conclusion is that they?re doing something very well and the word is out.

Well yeah, they are doing something well and the word is out, which is why the restaurant is packed. So we agree here.

Quote:

In terms of Thirty Acres popularity and success, that?s a much stronger case than their pricing appeal. Most of us rationalize spending more for things than is objectively reasonable all the time, and it?s as relevant a factor in the dining scene as it is mobile phone service, clothing, higher education, parking, concert tickets, commercial television, apartment fees, drugs, or Chinese umbrellas on a rainy day.

Everything you mentioned above helps justify their price.

Quote:

In my experience it would be absurd to call every price and fee I have willingly agreed to pay over the years, ?fair.? When I go to Minetta Tavern and pay $26 for a hamburger, it?s not because I think it?s a fair price, it?s because I can?t resist that marvelous thing.

If you didn't think the price was fair, you wouldn't have paid it. If 30 Acres prices weren't fair, they wouldn't be able to charge what they do. Let's not make this more complicated than it is.

Posted on: 2013/12/8 1:07

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2023/11/18 14:36
Group:
Registered Users
Marco Pepe is no longer good. My last two meals there were horrible. I was a big fan of MP from 2003 through early this year and I won't go back.

Posted on: 2013/12/7 22:32

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2016/11/9 5:56
Group:
Registered Users
Please never mention M&P in the same sentance as 30 Acres. Ever.

Regarding price... I don't love some of the entree prices at 30, but considering the current JC landscape and the success rate of most new business (even popular ones), I would rather pay a little extra for what is clearly the best food in town.

Gramercy is in competition with a hundred comparable restaurants in the boroughs... and the corporate tie allows them to price down since their food cost is lower due to volume (sorry Nori).

Posted on: 2013/12/7 22:29

Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

Hide User information
Last Login :
2018/8/14 18:54
Group:
Registered Users
Catlady, the fact that gramercy is part of a corporation gives them a reason to overcharge

Posted on: 2013/12/6 19:19

Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

Hide User information
Last Login :
Group:
Registered Users
It is an insult to compare 30 acres to marco and pepe.

I think M&P is good but they are two entirely different restaurants.

Posted on: 2013/12/6 19:15

Hide User information
Last Login :
2014/7/2 18:13
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

bill wrote:
I like 30 Acres a lot and it is overpriced for what you get. Does that mean I won't go there? No, because sometimes you don't want to trek to the City for a great dinner.

One of my favorite restaurants in NY is Gramercy Tavern. IMO the overall dining experience is at another level compared to 30A. Here is a price comparison,

30 Acres
Pasta Average $16
Arctic Char $26
Other Entree Ave. $26.33

Gramercy Tavern
Pasta Average $19.50
Arctic Char $22
Other Entree Ave. $20.75

I don't think it's entirely fair to compare prices between these two places. While both great and offering high-quality food and service, GT has been open since 1994 and 30A since 2012. Plus GT is part of a 10+ restaurant group, which means huge buying power and therefore better deals on food costs. And you have to think about size; 200 seats versus 40-ish means you can buy a whole lot of a product at a cheaper price, knowing you'll go through it.

A better comparison is between Thirty Acres and Marco & Pepe; similar in size and location AND price. Both places have entrees in the $25-30 range. Some of the appetizers are on the smaller size but the servers are very honest about that if you ask, and I?ve never felt ripped off. So I think Thirty Acres receives a lot of s**t that they don?t exactly deserve just because they?re groundbreakers in the JC food scene.

Posted on: 2013/12/6 18:23

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2019/9/26 14:52
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

Guys American Bar and Kitchen, I?ve tried it out of curiosity. It?s sht. But people wait in lines to go there so I?m obviously wrong.

http://www.nytimes.com/2012/11/14/din ... in-times-square.html?_r=0

Posted on: 2013/12/6 17:13

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2016/10/21 19:48
Group:
Registered Users
As long as you don't feel ripped off and regret that burger, then the price a fair price for you. You are getting the expected value or you wouldn't keep going back.

And thank goodness there are people who feel Thirty Acres' pricing is NOT fair, or whatever other subjective measure is out there, or I'd never get in again.

Posted on: 2013/12/6 17:09

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2018/10/5 14:16
Group:
Registered Users
Okay... rewind.

Quote:

WhoElse wrote:
The place is packed all of the time.. which indicates that the price is fair or could even go higher.

A packed restaurant? A more logical conclusion is that they?re doing something very well and the word is out. In terms of Thirty Acres popularity and success, that?s a much stronger case than their pricing appeal. Most of us rationalize spending more for things than is objectively reasonable all the time, and it?s as relevant a factor in the dining scene as it is mobile phone service, clothing, higher education, parking, concert tickets, commercial television, apartment fees, drugs, or Chinese umbrellas on a rainy day.

In my experience it would be absurd to call every price and fee I have willingly agreed to pay over the years, ?fair.? When I go to Minetta Tavern and pay $26 for a hamburger, it?s not because I think it?s a fair price, it?s because I can?t resist that marvelous thing.

Posted on: 2013/12/6 15:49

Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

Hide User information
Last Login :
Group:
Registered Users
30 acres is doing well but it?s currently riding the hype train so you have many new customers coming in weekly. I just hope they can keep a loyal clientele and they stay in business for years to come. In order for them to do that, I would think they would need to lower their prices but hey, I could be wrong! Let?s be honest, we live in JC for the value. This is not Tribecca.

I think TGI Fridays, Olive Garden and Red Lobster has some of the worst food known to man but go to time sq on the weekends and it?s packed. Guys American Bar and Kitchen, I?ve tried it out of curiosity. It?s sht. But people wait in lines to go there so I?m obviously wrong.

I?m not arguing that 30 Acres can charge whatever they want, they obviously do. But you can?t say that its unfair for me to call it overpriced compared to other restaurants until you have looked into their books and see what their overhead is and compare it to other restaurants in the city.

Posted on: 2013/12/6 15:33

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2017/9/14 20:15
From Crystal Point
Group:
Registered Users
I like 30 Acres a lot and it is overpriced for what you get. Does that mean I won't go there? No, because sometimes you don't want to trek to the City for a great dinner.

One of my favorite restaurants in NY is Gramercy Tavern. IMO the overall dining experience is at another level compared to 30A. Here is a price comparison,

30 Acres
Pasta Average $16
Arctic Char $26
Other Entree Ave. $26.33

Gramercy Tavern
Pasta Average $19.50
Arctic Char $22
Other Entree Ave. $20.75

Posted on: 2013/12/6 15:26

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
Group:
Banned
Graves was (is) the man, indeed, LOL.

I know I'm being smarmy here and there, but it's like I said, it's not about whether you or anyone else likes Thirty Acres, it's about supply/demand by the larger crowd of diners in JC.

Thirty Acres is always packed and people pay their prices. Therefore, the prices are fair according to the restaurant going public. Some people may not like the food, and others think it's too pricey, but none of that matters because those people are the minority. A restaurant is not going to cater to every client segment. They have a niche in terms of the types of dishes they serve, and most people agree with how they run their business (as proven by the fact that, again, the restaurant always being packed).

If the food was indeed too pricey, or not good enough to justify the prices, the restaurant would be empty, and they'd have to lower their prices, or close shop.

For anyone to continue to argue otherwise just starts to sound silly. It's as if you're saying "lower the prices for ME because I say so."

Quote:

Nori wrote:
Nyrgravey - i like you, only bc im a rangers fan and graves was a hero of mine growing up. But please, teach me something about microeconomics.

For the record I love 30acres. I like what they are doing, they help put jersey city on the map. I also love everyone on jclist, but most of your are dumb

Posted on: 2013/12/6 15:07

Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

Hide User information
Last Login :
Group:
Registered Users
Nyrgravey - i like you, only bc im a rangers fan and graves was a hero of mine growing up. But please, teach me something about microeconomics.

For the record I love 30acres. I like what they are doing, they help put jersey city on the map. I also love everyone on jclist, but most of your are dumb

Posted on: 2013/12/6 14:50

Not too shy to talk
Not too shy to talk

Hide User information
Last Login :
2015/3/18 17:32
Group:
Registered Users
who cares about prices, the place is overrated anyway - imo.

i must not have the palette for this 'high end' stuff.

Posted on: 2013/12/6 14:40

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
Group:
Banned
This is hardly a topic worthy of insults. Ease up, killa.

It's simple microeconomics 101. Pick up a text book sometime.

Quote:

Nori wrote:
WhoelsecouldIbe - are you some kind of an idiot? They can charge whatever they want because demand is high so I cant call it overpriced?

I think there are a lot of restaurants that are overpriced in the city but I cant call them that bc they are busy?

Is kevin pemoulie your brother or is there some other reason why you are taking personal offense to these comments?

Posted on: 2013/12/6 14:29

Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

Hide User information
Last Login :
Group:
Registered Users
No, mendezia. This person replied to every response which is why I think THEY are taking personal offense. I prefaced my msg with the fact that its my opinion that the restaurant is overpriced but according to who elsecoulditbe, I?m not allowed to do that.

The restaurant is in high demand so I am defeating my own points as to why I personally think they are overpriced? That?s not even a good defense. I?m entitled to my own opinion.

I think all steakhouses are overpriced. They are just taking a slab of meat and grilling it. Unless they are dry aging the steaks in-house, I think a steak is the most overpriced meal you can get in the city. But peter lugar?s is packed on Friday nights so I am wrong?

Posted on: 2013/12/6 14:29

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2020/1/27 22:17
From Hamilton Park
Group:
Registered Users
Maybe the word I should've used in my post that sparked this exchange is Value.

For example, my bill would be the same, give or take a few bucks per person had we dined at the Peking Duck House in Chinatown, which is one of our favorites. There would've been Chicken Corn and Seafood soup, dumplings, Crispy Sea Bass (which is usually big) string beans in garlic/pork and 2 whole Peking Ducks, and a few beers.

Or Dong Bang Grill in Fort Lee - 2 orders of Rib-Eye, 3 orders of Galbi, 8 pieces of Fried Mandoo, lots of Obi Beer.

For us as a family of 5, these 2 places are a better value (maybe because we're partial to Asian cuisine?), but that's only an opinion.

Again for Jersey City, Thirty Acres is indeed outstanding.

Posted on: 2013/12/6 14:27

Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

Hide User information
Last Login :
2017/6/14 13:47
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

Nori wrote:
WhoelsecouldIbe - are you some kind of an idiot? They can charge whatever they want because demand is high so I cant call it overpriced?
You can call it whatever you want. The point folks here are making is that the market decides whether it is overpriced or not.
I think there are a lot of restaurants that are overpriced in the city but I cant call them that bc they are busy?
See above.
Is kevin pemoulie your brother or is there some other reason why you are taking personal offense to these comments?
You seem to be the only one taking this personally. People are just making a point - which you obviously disagree with.

Posted on: 2013/12/6 14:19

Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

Hide User information
Last Login :
Group:
Registered Users

Posted on: 2013/12/6 14:09

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

Nori wrote:
I have to disagree with the majority here. I think, and again this is my opinion, that 30 acres is a bit overpriced. The reason why I say that is if you compare it to restaurants with the same quality of food in NYC, they charge about the same if not a little more and they don?t have the same level of service or ambiance (ex. piora, perla, khe-yo). They certainly do not pay the same amount of rent either so why do they charge so much?

30 Acres is in JC, not NYC, which is probably why they can charge what they do.

Quote:

Some will say, ?they source local ingredients,? but let?s be honest, most (good) places do that these days. The reason why they stay in business is because people in our area prefer to stay local because a) it?s cold out b) people don?t always want to travel to the city for a good meal c) we like to support the businesses that are here d) they prefer to hang out and get drinks somewhere close to home or e) there are limited options.

You just listed reasons as to why 30 Acres has high demand, which will increase their price. So you're defeating your own points now.

Quote:

I would like to go to 30 acres more often but I feel as though it?s worth it to try new places in the city for the same price. Otherwise, I would find myself being a regular there.

If it's too pricey for you, that's fine, but to call it "overpriced" is silly when the place is full during peak hours.

Posted on: 2013/12/6 2:48

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

Frank_M wrote:
Fairness, like justice, is a broad, abstract concept that transcends the definition of a single term.

Sorry, in a discussion about price, it's clear that fairness refers to market value.

Quote:

Nowhere did I claim that Thirty Acres pricing is unfair, only that it?s on the high side for a joint that?s quick to deliver the check. Otherwise, I really enjoy the restaurant and appreciate what they offer. I was there only a few days ago, celebrating my birthday. Heck, I?m the schmuck in the middle of the photo in their first NYT review.

On what basis are you claiming that the price is high? Relative to what?

Quote:

The point I?m making is that ?fairness? is not a good explanation for our willingness to pay a premium for luxuries because it ignores the powerful influence of hype, prestige, curiosity, and desire.

Fairness is not the explanation of these things. But if people pay for something at a given price, then the price is fair. If it wasn't, people wouldn't pay it.

Posted on: 2013/12/6 2:42

Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

Hide User information
Last Login :
Group:
Registered Users
I have to disagree with the majority here. I think, and again this is my opinion, that 30 acres is a bit overpriced. The reason why I say that is if you compare it to restaurants with the same quality of food in NYC, they charge about the same if not a little more and they don?t have the same level of service or ambiance (ex. piora, perla, khe-yo). They certainly do not pay the same amount of rent either so why do they charge so much?

Some will say, ?they source local ingredients,? but let?s be honest, most (good) places do that these days. The reason why they stay in business is because people in our area prefer to stay local because a) it?s cold out b) people don?t always want to travel to the city for a good meal c) we like to support the businesses that are here d) they prefer to hang out and get drinks somewhere close to home or e) there are limited options.

I would like to go to 30 acres more often but I feel as though it?s worth it to try new places in the city for the same price. Otherwise, I would find myself being a regular there.

Posted on: 2013/12/5 22:52

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2018/10/5 14:16
Group:
Registered Users
Fairness, like justice, is a broad, abstract concept that transcends the definition of a single term. Nowhere did I claim that Thirty Acres pricing is unfair, only that it?s on the high side for a joint that?s quick to deliver the check. Otherwise, I really enjoy the restaurant and appreciate what they offer. I was there only a few days ago, celebrating my birthday. Heck, I?m the schmuck in the middle of the photo in their first NYT review.

The point I?m making is that ?fairness? is not a good explanation for our willingness to pay a premium for luxuries because it ignores the powerful influence of hype, prestige, curiosity, and desire.

Posted on: 2013/12/5 22:44

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2016/1/31 23:18
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

Frank_M wrote:
When we can see that millions of people live beyond their means and behave as if their self-worth and status is based on their perceived wealth and ability to consume, it makes little sense to equate the concept of fairness with the prices that the market will bear.

Love the place. Have zero debt.

Posted on: 2013/12/5 22:26

« 1 2 3 4 (5) 6 7 8 ... 12 »

[Advanced Search]

Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!

LicenseInformation | AboutUs | PrivacyPolicy | Faq | Contact

JERSEY CITY LIST - News & Reviews - Jersey City, NJ - Copyright 2004 - 2017