Register now !    Login  
Main Menu
Who's Online
118 user(s) are online (106 user(s) are browsing Message Forum)

Members: 0
Guests: 118

more...

Browsing this Thread:   1 Anonymous Users

Re: Jersey City with six-figure salary claims residence in low-cost housing
Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

Hide User information
Last Login :
2022/9/6 11:43
From Historic Downtown
Group:
Registered Users
What's amazing here is that this is a guy that's scamming the system, the same guy that was a code enforcement official notorious for changing requirements during inspections without any mercy for the property owner. It's one thing to do your job, quite another to require things to be done that weren't planned, identified, required or approved. Let's see if the city can extend to him the same courtesy and show him the door based on his inherent dishonesty. I have attended meetings with him, he shows no compassion, he only seeks to flex his muscle regardless of the impact or costs.

Posted on: 2013/11/19 17:39

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2022/11/28 0:04
From New Urbanist Area
Group:
Registered Users
You have to be careful about gaming rent control like that though. I had a friend whose mother had an arrangement like that. There was a dispute with the subtenants, who then turned around and worked with the landlord to get their own name on the lease, leaving her without the apartment.

Rent controlled housing, as well as low or middle income housing, requires that the tenant use the facility as their primary residence. At my very first law firm job, we represented a lot of Mitchell-Lama co-ops in New York City, and the co-ops always were very serious about going after people who were not using the apartment as a primary residence but as their own government subsidized profit center.

Posted on: 2013/11/19 16:42

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2016/3/4 21:43
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

user1111 wrote:
Quote:

VA2015 wrote:
Quote:

JPhurst wrote:
Generally, people who move into affordable housing must verify their income. Once they are in, however, they do not get evicted if they start making more money. I had several family and friends who lived in Mitchell-Lama housing in NYC (limited dividend, middle income housing). If their income exceeded a certain level after they moved in they had to pay a surcharge for maintenance but that was it.

It's so crazy how all of this works..I have no idea if NJ public housing is anything like NYC but I know for NYCHA public housing in NYC your rent goes up, and you can even be moved to a different apartment, if your income increases. If it decreases again, you might have to be moved again. This is for people who are just barely above the poverty line. But this so-called "affordable housing" for people who may well work professional jobs in the 40-60K range doesn't have the same restrictions, when 60K gives you a LOT more mobility than 30K or less (for security deposits, etc.). Makes zero sense.

I have two buddies living in NYC one in Harlem the other in Chelsea and they are both living in the projects in apts that were passed down to them for 3 generations, this type of ish goes on all the time and both of these dudes make 90k a year.

I have a friend who has not one but two rent-controlled apartments in Brooklyn Heights. Her mom died so she moved into her mother's huge two-bedroom and now sublets her apt for about 4 times what she pays. I ask her if she's afraid of getting caught and she says she still gets her mail at her apt and is allowed one roommate. She says her tenant is technically her roommate.

Posted on: 2013/11/19 16:27

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2015/6/25 17:42
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

user1111 wrote:
Quote:

VA2015 wrote:
Quote:

JPhurst wrote:
Generally, people who move into affordable housing must verify their income. Once they are in, however, they do not get evicted if they start making more money. I had several family and friends who lived in Mitchell-Lama housing in NYC (limited dividend, middle income housing). If their income exceeded a certain level after they moved in they had to pay a surcharge for maintenance but that was it.

It's so crazy how all of this works..I have no idea if NJ public housing is anything like NYC but I know for NYCHA public housing in NYC your rent goes up, and you can even be moved to a different apartment, if your income increases. If it decreases again, you might have to be moved again. This is for people who are just barely above the poverty line. But this so-called "affordable housing" for people who may well work professional jobs in the 40-60K range doesn't have the same restrictions, when 60K gives you a LOT more mobility than 30K or less (for security deposits, etc.). Makes zero sense.

I have two buddies living in NYC one in Harlem the other in Chelsea and they are both living in the projects in apts that were passed down to them for 3 generations, this type of ish goes on all the time and both of these dudes make 90k a year.

How do they get around reporting their income? I'm assuming they don't make 90K under the table unless they are in an entirely illegal industry like dealing or something...?

Posted on: 2013/11/19 15:04

Hide User information
Last Login :
2013/11/26 16:19
From Jersey City
Group:
Registered Users
People who live in collage tower the maximum is just $40,000 to $60,000 as a couple. but this guys make more that double TOTAL SALARY $120,926 and they live there. i'm gonna report this matters to copy and paste thin link if you want to report stuff like that because people live in jersey city with super super super low income can't get to live in collage tower. this guys come from Newark, NJ they own a House before and i soon the new mayor from a jersey City Take the office as a new mayor this couple sell the house and get into the collage tower that no unbelievable??? dam that's Crazy

Posted on: 2013/11/18 23:03

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2019/12/26 15:30
From GV Bayside Park
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

VA2015 wrote:
Quote:

JPhurst wrote:

Posted on: 2013/11/18 20:22

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
From New Urbanist Area
Group:
Registered Users
College Towers isn't project housing. It is (or was) a limited dividend cooperative for working/middle class.

Posted on: 2013/11/18 19:34

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2015/6/25 17:42
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

JPhurst wrote:

Posted on: 2013/11/18 18:49

Hide User information
Last Login :
From Jersey City
Group:
Registered Users
Also there not the only person doing the same thing. there is a couple they live in Audubon building 140 apartment 2-D, they both make $120,926 dollars, Efrain Melendez from Health Department salary $39,400 plus his selling back the insurance every 4 month getting back $1,000 back more do the math people , and Ada Melendez with salary of $84,526 of course his wife working at board of education. how in the word they can live there. Oh i know how he told me 1 day that his the only one on contract because if he put his wife they can't live there because they make to much money together , so how is gonna fix this i guess the mayor, i hope before this going big in to the news as a fraud TOTAL SALARY $120,926. This is unbelievable, and all the time is just City employees people favors. Jersey-people please do something they should get suspended or arrested for fraud and pay all that money back

Posted on: 2013/11/18 17:49

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
From New Urbanist Area
Group:
Registered Users

The issue here, assuming College Towers is still under the various restrictions, is that he is living on his father in law's lease. When these houses are regulated it is a requirement that the person on the proprietary lease use the apartment as a primary residence.

Posted on: 2013/11/18 14:52

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2018/7/28 23:29
From Right here!
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

Yvonne wrote:
I know of a number of people who live in College Towers and are not low income. There are people who work for the county with high salaries that reside in College Towers.

Like 3 (or 4) job Bob?

Posted on: 2013/11/18 11:16

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2022/2/28 7:31
From 280 Grove Street
Group:
Registered Users
Fire his sorry ass for breach of ethical standards and disception / fraud; misleading name to avoid detection.

Posted on: 2013/11/18 7:26
My humor is for the silent blue collar majority - If my posts offend, slander or you deem inappropriate and seek deletion, contact the webmaster for jurisdiction.

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
3/21 23:34
Group:
Registered Users
This happens all the time with "affordable housing," only one income is reported, a reason many people do not get married.

Posted on: 2013/11/18 4:12

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2016/6/20 2:33
Group:
Registered Users
The newspaper seems to get the issue a lot more attention, though.

Posted on: 2013/11/18 4:11

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2020/8/26 13:40
Group:
Registered Users
Report it to HUD if you suspect people are abusing or defrauding the system.

http://portal.hud.gov/hudportal/HUD?s ... ams/ph/rhiip/uivreporting

Posted on: 2013/11/18 3:43

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2014/12/15 23:01
Group:
Banned
Jersey city people, slow down, take a breath and try to type in a way we can understand. Your point seems important but is very difficult to read. Can you repost this?

Quote:

jerseycity-people wrote:
Also no only person i know. is somebody is doing the same is this couple they live in Audubon building 140 apartment 2-D, both they make $120,926 dollars, Efrain Melendez from Health Department salary $39,400 plus his selling back the insurance every 4 month getting back $1,000 more do the math people , and Ada Melendez whit salary $84,526 of course his wife working at board of education. how in the word they live there. OHHH i know how he told me 1 day that his the only one on contract because if he put his wife they can't live there because they make to much money together , so how is gonna fix this i guess the mayor, i hope before this going big in to the news as a fraud TOTAL SALARY $120,926. This is unbelievable, and all the time is just City employees people favors. Jersey-people please do something they should get suspended or arrested for fraud and pay all that money back

Posted on: 2013/11/18 3:36

Jersey City with six-figure salary claims residence in low-cost housing

Hide User information
Last Login :
From Jersey City
Group:
Registered Users
Also no only person i know. is somebody is doing the same is this couple they live in Audubon building 140 apartment 2-D, both they make $120,926 dollars, Efrain Melendez from Health Department salary $39,400 plus his selling back the insurance every 4 month getting back $1,000 more do the math people , and Ada Melendez whit salary $84,526 of course his wife working at board of education. how in the word they live there. OHHH i know how he told me 1 day that his the only one on contract because if he put his wife they can't live there because they make to much money together , so how is gonna fix this i guess the mayor, i hope before this going big in to the news as a fraud TOTAL SALARY $120,926. This is unbelievable, and all the time is just City employees people favors. Jersey-people please do something they should get suspended or arrested for fraud and pay all that money back

Posted on: 2013/11/18 3:19

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2023/7/17 17:42
From Hamilton Park
Group:
Banned
Quote:

nyrgravey9 wrote:
The whole concept of rent control is absurd.

Without defending rent control, this isn't that, it's "affordable housing" that supposedly has a income qualification. Rent control doesn't, which is one reason it often ends up going to those who don't actually need it. It doesn't sound like this is handled like section 8 with it's own bureaucracy, they'd have a much harder time scamming it then. But in fact it seems there's no rent scam at all, since it belongs to his father in law and it's only a mail drop. The scam is on the Fulop adm.

There was a similar outcry last year when it was disclosed the Hoboken Police Chief lived in subsidized housing.

Posted on: 2013/11/18 2:56

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
Group:
Registered Users
I know of a number of people who live in College Towers and are not low income. There are people who work for the county with high salaries that reside in College Towers.

Posted on: 2013/11/18 2:49

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2015/8/3 1:43
Group:
Banned
There plenty of highly qualified real residents of Jersey city who could fill this position.
send this guy packing back to the burbs in Sayerville!

Posted on: 2013/11/18 2:42

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2023/10/30 19:51
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

CAR285 wrote:
For caj11, Holdover? This is a retired fireman who was hired by the Fulop team and appointed by the sitting council.

My mistake, I read the whole article too fast. But I love it how the Razzoli says that "Jersey City has always been home" when he has a home with a backyard in Sayreville, where his wife and daughters live. Sounds like he sleeps in Jersey City a few days a week when he's working late and otherwise hangs his toothbrush in Sayreville. I would expect the Healy administration to have been fooled by or look the other way on something like this, but Fulop should know better. It is good that Ms. Morrill said Razzoli needs to "follow the law" because it is about time that the residency requirement in the Jersey City municipal code be enforced (it sure wasn't enforced under Healy).

Posted on: 2013/11/18 2:10

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2023/2/6 21:56
Group:
Registered Users
JP - I went to the College Towers management office. The clerk told me there's an income limit. It's on the application itself. You also have to hand in income verification to live there.

Posted on: 2013/11/18 2:05

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
From New Urbanist Area
Group:
Registered Users
Is College Towers still affordable housing?

CT was a limited dividend co-op. These are not common in NJ but very common in NYC. Residents owned the apartments but had to be of a certain income level and got the apartments off a waiting list. When the resident sold the apartment it was sold back to the co-op at cost plus a small dividend and then re-sold to someone else on the wait list.

But I am pretty sure CT's tax abatement expired. It was renewed for a few extra years but it's not in effect any more. If that's the case then it's just like any other co-op, and the only restriction would be if the proprietary lease prohibited subletting (like in many condos).

It is possible that, even after the expiration of the tax abatement, that College Towers decided to keep income and resale restrictions in place. But that's rare.

Posted on: 2013/11/18 1:57

Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

Hide User information
Last Login :
2014/10/7 16:42
Group:
Registered Users

Good work Jersey Journal.

So now he's going to go live with his brother. I wouldn't call that committed to living in JC. Is your wife going to live there too?

I think the mileage on his car should be checked every day to see who is fooling who here.

Quote:

terrencemcd wrote:

By Terrence T. McDonald/The Jersey Journal

A Jersey City department director who earns a six-figure salary claims to live in College Towers, an apartment complex on the West Side that caters to low- and middle-income families.

Michael Razzoli, who runs the city Department of Public Works, says he resides in one of the co-op?s College Drive buildings. But an application to College Towers says a resident?s household income must not exceed $60,000.

Razzoli, whose name is misspelled on the apartment?s doorbell, makes $117,048 as the DPW director, in addition to a $65,085 annual pension as a retired firefighter.

READ MORE

Posted on: 2013/11/17 23:59

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2014/12/15 23:01
Group:
Banned
The whole concept of rent control is absurd.

Posted on: 2013/11/17 22:44

Hide User information
Last Login :
2014/10/10 23:26
From Jersey City
Group:
Registered Users
For caj11, Holdover? This is a retired fireman who was hired by the Fulop team and appointed by the sitting council.

Posted on: 2013/11/17 22:10

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2023/10/30 19:51
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

jcwalkingman wrote:
Why is it acceptable to pay public employees nearly $200k/year when so many college educated and loan -burdened grads are earning around $30k or even less?

Not to mention, they have to pay market-rate rents.

In any case, it's crap like this that makes the case for ending rent control, or at least enforcing more of the laws associated with rent control. It is unacceptable that the guy is living there, and if he is a holdover from the Healy administration, he should have been fired anyway. I don't understand why so many Healy appointees are still working for Fulop. It's like nothing changed.

Posted on: 2013/11/17 21:20

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2017/4/14 0:40
Group:
Registered Users
Why is it acceptable to pay public employees nearly $200k/year when so many college educated and loan -burdened grads are earning around $30k or even less?

Posted on: 2013/11/17 21:15

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
Group:
Registered Users
A lot of people with high incomes live in College Towers. They have homes at the shore. I am not a strong believer of abatements including low income. Unmarried couples live together but only one reports an income. People know how to use the system.

Posted on: 2013/11/17 19:57

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2023/2/6 21:56
Group:
Registered Users

By Terrence T. McDonald/The Jersey Journal

A Jersey City department director who earns a six-figure salary claims to live in College Towers, an apartment complex on the West Side that caters to low- and middle-income families.

Michael Razzoli, who runs the city Department of Public Works, says he resides in one of the co-op?s College Drive buildings. But an application to College Towers says a resident?s household income must not exceed $60,000.

Razzoli, whose name is misspelled on the apartment?s doorbell, makes $117,048 as the DPW director, in addition to a $65,085 annual pension as a retired firefighter.

READ MORE

Posted on: 2013/11/17 19:32

[Advanced Search]

Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!

LicenseInformation | AboutUs | PrivacyPolicy | Faq | Contact

JERSEY CITY LIST - News & Reviews - Jersey City, NJ - Copyright 2004 - 2017