Register now !    Login  
Main Menu
Who's Online
154 user(s) are online (130 user(s) are browsing Message Forum)

Members: 0
Guests: 154

more...

Browsing this Thread:   1 Anonymous Users

Re: Concrete flooring

Hide User information
Last Login :
2019/12/27 17:37
Group:
Registered Users
Thanks, everyone, you've given me pause for thought. I may go with tiles instead!

Posted on: 2013/11/16 18:38

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2020/9/30 18:46
From Van Vorst Park
Group:
Registered Users
Control joints cut into the concrete floor would be another solution. This is definitely doable and cracks are avoidable.

Posted on: 2013/11/14 22:15

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2023/7/17 17:42
From Hamilton Park
Group:
Banned
Quote:

tommyc_37 wrote:
A flexible barrier underlayment such as Ditra would solve the cracking issue (I would also recommend this as an underlayment for tile in any older building). Also I think they can do the concrete floor at 1.5-2" thick.

I use Ditra for tile, great stuff, but absorbing the flexing of floor and joists over the width of a tile is different than on a slab the width of a room. But I would hope the pros you recommend would know.

One hopes this, but our friends just found out the tile laid in their bathroom reno several years ago wasn't over Ditra or cement board, but some kind of tar paper! It's all been ripped out now. I always say hiring a contractor is like throwing yourself off a cliff into the ocean and hoping a wave is covering the rocks when you hit.

Posted on: 2013/11/14 21:55

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
From Van Vorst Park
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

brewster wrote:
Quote:

arlenes wrote:
Has anyone had concrete installed in their house/condo? Im thinking about using polished concrete in my bathroom and would like any advice folks might have, including names of contractors.
Thanks in advance!

Given that it would likely cost more than tile or granite, and raise your floor several inches, why?

Cost aside, if you're in an older wood joist building it's likely impossible to do this and not have it crack from the normal flexing of the timbers. Even tile floors can be iffy depending on construction and tile size.

A flexible barrier underlayment such as Ditra would solve the cracking issue (I would also recommend this as an underlayment for tile in any older building). Also I think they can do the concrete floor at 1.5-2" thick.

A lot of people prefer polished/stained concrete for the look. It is a cool look. And for a bathroom floor it wouldn't be that much more expensive than a nice tile.

Posted on: 2013/11/14 20:06

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
From Van Vorst Park
Group:
Registered Users
These guys do some really cool stuff, I know that they do a lot of work in Manhattan and they are based in Morris County, so I'm assuming they would come to you: http://jmlifestyles.com/index.php

Posted on: 2013/11/14 19:34

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2023/7/17 17:42
From Hamilton Park
Group:
Banned
Quote:

arlenes wrote:
Has anyone had concrete installed in their house/condo? Im thinking about using polished concrete in my bathroom and would like any advice folks might have, including names of contractors.
Thanks in advance!

Given that it would likely cost more than tile or granite, and raise your floor several inches, why?

Cost aside, if you're in an older wood joist building it's likely impossible to do this and not have it crack from the normal flexing of the timbers. Even tile floors can be iffy depending on construction and tile size.

Posted on: 2013/11/14 19:33

Concrete flooring

Hide User information
Last Login :
2019/12/27 17:37
Group:
Registered Users
Thanks in advance!

Posted on: 2013/11/14 19:19

[Advanced Search]

Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!

LicenseInformation | AboutUs | PrivacyPolicy | Faq | Contact

JERSEY CITY LIST - News & Reviews - Jersey City, NJ - Copyright 2004 - 2017