Register now !    Login  
Main Menu
Who's Online
96 user(s) are online (82 user(s) are browsing Message Forum)

Members: 0
Guests: 96

more...

Browsing this Thread:   1 Anonymous Users

(1) 2 3 4 ... 8 »

Re: Council person Osborne presents Pedestrian plan
Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2022/2/8 3:24
Group:
Registered Users

Quote:

Vigilante wrote:...Ugh. I'm sure chicks are impressed with the "I don't own a car" line.

I for one have no problem with it - speaks to the lifestyle of the person, and for those of us who are like minded it shows a level of compatibility.... 100000x better than the jackwad who drives a giant Hummer / SUV / Truck to compensate for whatever.

Posted on: 2016/8/24 20:31

Re: Whose idea was it for these "faux brick" crosswalks?
Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2023/6/11 23:48
From Western Slope
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

jcneighbor wrote:
Has to be one of the dumbest ideas ever. Total waste of time and a whole bunch of money, IMO.

A couple of years ago they installed a bunch of these crosswalks with thin imitation bricks that were basically glued into place. Drive through any one of those intersections now and you'll see dozens of bricks that popped out and are gone. Intersection of Jersey and 8th Street (at Hamilton Park), for example.

More recently they switched to some sort of painting scheme. The intersection of Jersey Ave. and Christopher Columbus, for example. They painted it about 6 weeks ago and it wore out incredibly quickly. So today they're painting it again. Huge PITA with traffic constricted in both directions. And TWO JCPD officers standing at a corner in the shade doing absolutely nothing.

Our tax dollars hardly at work...

They are also slippery when wet...especially when it snows. Absolutely no traction.

Posted on: 2016/8/23 23:02
Get on your bikes and ride !

Whose idea was it for these "faux brick" crosswalks?
Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
1/10 13:10
From Downtown JC, VVP Area
Group:
Registered Users
Has to be one of the dumbest ideas ever. Total waste of time and a whole bunch of money, IMO.

A couple of years ago they installed a bunch of these crosswalks with thin imitation bricks that were basically glued into place. Drive through any one of those intersections now and you'll see dozens of bricks that popped out and are gone. Intersection of Jersey and 8th Street (at Hamilton Park), for example.

More recently they switched to some sort of painting scheme. The intersection of Jersey Ave. and Christopher Columbus, for example. They painted it about 6 weeks ago and it wore out incredibly quickly. So today they're painting it again. Huge PITA with traffic constricted in both directions. And TWO JCPD officers standing at a corner in the shade doing absolutely nothing.

Our tax dollars hardly at work...

Posted on: 2016/8/23 15:51

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2018/5/21 19:38
From Downtown
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

heights wrote:
Does anyone have a video or at least some information from Wednesday's Complet Streets Meeting with the police department ?

See the Harsimus Cove Association twitter feed for a play-by-play from the meeting:

https://twitter.com/HarsCoveAssoc

Posted on: 2013/11/22 19:24

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
From Western Slope
Group:
Registered Users
Does anyone have a video or at least some information from Wednesday's Complet Streets Meeting with the police department ?

Posted on: 2013/11/22 18:50

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2020/8/26 13:40
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

I_heart_JC wrote:
this morning, we watched the installation of a brand-new stop sign on Erie Street!!!!

three minutes later, we watched somebody blow right through it.

baby steps.

Are the road markings there yet? A lot folks rely on the markings more than the sign.

Posted on: 2013/11/22 18:29

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2020/4/18 19:17
From Way Downtown
Group:
Registered Users
Almost got taken out by an asshat blowing through the stop sign at First and Erie. The driver saw me, made eye-contact, and kept driving towards me. The driver was a JC cop, in a patrol car (lights not flashing).

This was about 3 hours after the neighborhood meeting on dangerous intersections came to a close.

To protect and to serve.

Posted on: 2013/11/22 18:21

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2016/10/21 16:46
Group:
Registered Users
Let's hope people understand what a stop sign actually mean. The ignorance shown by some people driving through the area is appalling. Just last Friday while trying to cross Marin from the mall parking garage, a guy almost hit me while he was making a left from 9th. I had the walk sign, which as he almost hit me, started blinking the do not walk sign with the count down, which obviously is letting the crosser know how much time is left in order to cross. This guy was screaming at me that I had a do not walk sign. I screamed back, letting him know that he was completely in the wrong, that I had the walk sign and that the count down was for me. He didn't believe me and proceeded to yell at me some more and call me every profanity imaginable. Good thing it was a Friday night and I was in a great mood on my way home for the weekend, otherwise I would have put my foot through one of his windows.

Posted on: 2013/11/22 17:50

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2020/3/22 6:01
Group:
Registered Users
this morning, we watched the installation of a brand-new stop sign on Erie Street!!!!

three minutes later, we watched somebody blow right through it.

baby steps.

Posted on: 2013/11/22 16:55

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2020/5/28 15:24
Group:
Registered Users
Noticed some increased enforcement on Grand Street between Grove and Marin in both directions at about 5:45pm this evening.

Eastbound on Grand and Marin there was a large digital sign displaying the speed of the drivers passing by with a jackbooted JCPD officer standing next to it. Westbound near the same intersection I saw a JCPD patrol car had just pulled a car over.

Hope they keep it up.

Posted on: 2013/11/6 0:19

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2020/4/18 19:17
From Way Downtown
Group:
Registered Users
I was really hoping that the new pave job on 1st would include those fake brick crossings at Erie street, by Toricos. It would've been a small-but-possibly-meaningful way to deter the jackhats who speed through that intersection.

Now there's absolutely nothing (til they get around to repaving), so expect a higher-than-usual number of collisions.

Posted on: 2013/11/1 17:09

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2018/7/30 16:48
Group:
Registered Users
I would honestly just like to see police on motorcycles from the turnpike exit near johnson to grand to grove and to the tunnel stations every 2 blocks with their lights on during the morning and evening rush hours. It would be a huge symbol to everyone passing through that they need to act like this is the burbs and respect the law.

Posted on: 2013/11/1 13:46

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2014/12/15 23:01
Group:
Banned
+1 to both authors!

Quote:

asny10011 wrote:
Yes, enforcement can't come soon enough. Cars speed through the main thoroughfares (Columbus, Grand, Jersey Ave) all the time and don't really come to full stops on the smaller streets or ignore pedestrians trying to cross. Awful awful awful... but i also have to complain about pedestrians who are walking the streets on their cell phone oblivious to the cars... this morning i saw a girl yakking on her phone as she crossed columbus looking away from traffic and not even looking to see if cars slow down. Accident waiting to happen.

Quote:

jcman420 wrote:
I could not believe the amount of speeding and reckless driving I saw around DTJC today, on a day where the streets were overflowing with little kids trick or treating. I saw at least 2 cars fly through the intersection of Jersey and Newark Aves at least 20 MPH over the speed limit. One car was a BMW with pitch black tinted windows and music pumping.

I don't know when the supposed increased enforcement is coming, but it can't come soon enough.

And this is coming from a driver.

Posted on: 2013/11/1 12:37

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2020/12/23 21:08
Group:
Registered Users
Yes, enforcement can't come soon enough. Cars speed through the main thoroughfares (Columbus, Grand, Jersey Ave) all the time and don't really come to full stops on the smaller streets or ignore pedestrians trying to cross. Awful awful awful... but i also have to complain about pedestrians who are walking the streets on their cell phone oblivious to the cars... this morning i saw a girl yakking on her phone as she crossed columbus looking away from traffic and not even looking to see if cars slow down. Accident waiting to happen.

Quote:

jcman420 wrote:
I could not believe the amount of speeding and reckless driving I saw around DTJC today, on a day where the streets were overflowing with little kids trick or treating. I saw at least 2 cars fly through the intersection of Jersey and Newark Aves at least 20 MPH over the speed limit. One car was a BMW with pitch black tinted windows and music pumping.

I don't know when the supposed increased enforcement is coming, but it can't come soon enough.

Posted on: 2013/10/31 22:58

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2019/12/26 15:30
From GV Bayside Park
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

heights wrote:
Quote:

Wishful_Thinking wrote:
Quote:

Vigilante wrote:...Ugh. I'm sure chicks are impressed with the "I don't own a car" line.

Ha! Speak for yourself and your fellow straight-boys, LOL! Seriously, on all the dates I've been on with gay men I don't think we've ever discussed cars. The shore, the Red Bulls, dogs, yes - but not cars. Hmm...

It's not the subject of cars that is the appeal but the fact that you have one so you can pick her up. Imagine going on a first date to the malt shop or a drive-in movie on a bicycle or your little red wagon.

What year (1955) and what part of Mayberry do you live in? HA!!!!

Posted on: 2013/10/31 22:51

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2020/5/28 15:24
Group:
Registered Users

Posted on: 2013/10/31 22:47

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
From Western Slope
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

Wishful_Thinking wrote:
Quote:

Ha! Speak for yourself and your fellow straight-boys, LOL! Seriously, on all the dates I've been on with gay men I don't think we've ever discussed cars. The shore, the Red Bulls, dogs, yes - but not cars. Hmm...

It's not the subject of cars that is the appeal but the fact that you have one so you can pick her up. Imagine going on a first date to the malt shop or a drive-in movie on a bicycle or your little red wagon.

Posted on: 2013/10/23 16:17

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2017/5/17 13:40
From Heights
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

But a good laugh over the 'the other sex's' dating strategies aside, unlike sexual orientation - forgoing a car IS a choice, and I'm psyched to see more people in JC speaking in favor of it, as a lot of other cities have found it to be an integral part of improving the urban environment, streetlife, experience, etc.

Posted on: 2013/10/23 0:25

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2023/1/15 1:13
From Leashless Glory.
Group:
Banned
Of course, although I own a car, I am a big proponent of traffic calming measures. If you have read my posts through the years you know that I am sickened by the horrible driving habits of residents and visitors alike. I have said it again and again that it's going to take the tragic death of a child to really get quick action on the speeders and reckless drivers we deal with every day.

Posted on: 2013/10/22 23:28

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2017/4/18 17:32
Group:
Registered Users
People conform to the places they design. Our car culture came about because of the growth of the suburbs, where there's little marginal cost to having two or more cars per family. If our goal is to create a vibrant, walkable city where people don't NEED a car, requiring every new unit to provide parking works against that. But a previous poster is right - sometimes it's nice to have a car to zoom off to the shore. Some new urban plans include a central core of residences and businesses, with parking outside the core. In a place like that, I'd have the walkability I love AND be able to attract hot chicks.

Posted on: 2013/10/22 21:42

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2022/11/28 0:04
From New Urbanist Area
Group:
Registered Users
As someone who is definitely on the "pedestrian" side of this debate, let me acknowledge the obvious. It is incredibly convenient to have your own car and nearby affordable parking. Certainly for getting out of the city or running shopping errands. Public transportation is not readily available for everyone, and not feasible for some. Zipcar is still hit or miss in peak usage times. Checking right now for an available car for the whole weekend, there are five cars left. By Thursday there is a good chance they are gone. If something comes up on a weekend where you need a car on the spot, even for a briefer period of time it's likely not available in Jersey City.

All true, but it nevertheless.....

1. The roads, as of now, are dangerous and not pedestrian friendly.

2. If you structure development so that it requires accommodations for a car for every household, you are simply going to exacerbate the problem.

Posted on: 2013/10/22 21:04

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2017/8/3 1:06
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

vindication15 wrote:
Quote:

WhoElseCouldIBe wrote:
Quote:

vindication15 wrote:
Quote:

tommyc_37 wrote:
Quote:

Vigilante wrote:
I need a car for my type of work but seriously, parking issues aside, not being able to jump into your car quickly and make an escape to the country or shore is a sad, confined life. You want to take NJT and LIRR everywhere or deal with rental cars then good luck. NO f***ing way am I gonna do Zipcars and slow ass trains. For me it's quick jaunts to the shore or country or where ever I like. You "no cars" crowd can squeeze some fun out of Liberty State Park. Ugh. I'm sure chicks are impressed with the "I don't own a car" line.

Maybe it's a generational thing. It's not that the under 30, urban-dwelling crowd would specifically be impressed with somebody NOT owning a car; it's that somebody owning a car is not impressive and not expected.

I can't speak for everyone under 30 but here is the hierarchy of appeal, in my experience:

1) Looks
2) Money
3) Personality
4) Education
5) Where you live
6) What you drive

So if you live in Manhattan and don't own a car, that is forgivable. Hell, if you live in 77 Hudson and don't own a car, might also be forgivable. But if you live at home and don't own a car, well, let's just say that amazon sells dolls.

Charm, passion, and confidence will blow away looks, money, car, education every time - unless you're only going for someone superficial. If you are, that's cool, too.

true, the under 30 crowd goes wild for the broke, out of shape, disfigured, lives at home, uneducated person with charm, passion, and confidence.

no, that's not what i said.

Posted on: 2013/10/22 19:25

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2017/4/20 19:08
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

WhoElseCouldIBe wrote:
Quote:

vindication15 wrote:
Quote:

tommyc_37 wrote:
Quote:

Vigilante wrote:
I need a car for my type of work but seriously, parking issues aside, not being able to jump into your car quickly and make an escape to the country or shore is a sad, confined life. You want to take NJT and LIRR everywhere or deal with rental cars then good luck. NO f***ing way am I gonna do Zipcars and slow ass trains. For me it's quick jaunts to the shore or country or where ever I like. You "no cars" crowd can squeeze some fun out of Liberty State Park. Ugh. I'm sure chicks are impressed with the "I don't own a car" line.

Maybe it's a generational thing. It's not that the under 30, urban-dwelling crowd would specifically be impressed with somebody NOT owning a car; it's that somebody owning a car is not impressive and not expected.

I can't speak for everyone under 30 but here is the hierarchy of appeal, in my experience:

1) Looks
2) Money
3) Personality
4) Education
5) Where you live
6) What you drive

So if you live in Manhattan and don't own a car, that is forgivable. Hell, if you live in 77 Hudson and don't own a car, might also be forgivable. But if you live at home and don't own a car, well, let's just say that amazon sells dolls.

Charm, passion, and confidence will blow away looks, money, car, education every time - unless you're only going for someone superficial. If you are, that's cool, too.

true, the under 30 crowd goes wild for the broke, out of shape, disfigured, lives at home, uneducated person with charm, passion, and confidence.

Posted on: 2013/10/22 18:59

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2017/8/3 1:06
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

vindication15 wrote:
Quote:

tommyc_37 wrote:
Quote:

Vigilante wrote:

1) Looks
2) Money
3) Personality
4) Education
5) Where you live
6) What you drive

Posted on: 2013/10/22 18:42

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2018/7/30 16:48
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

vindication15 wrote:
Quote:

tommyc_37 wrote:
Quote:

Vigilante wrote:

1) Looks
2) Money
3) Personality
4) Education
5) Where you live
6) What you drive

Matters the car.

Posted on: 2013/10/22 18:40

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2016/7/18 3:56
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

tommyc_37 wrote:
Also, the Enterprise on Washington Street delivers a rental car to your front door at no additional charge. Really awesome.

We always rent from them, didn't know they'd deliver the car to us! That's awesome, thanks.

Unless it's a peak holiday period, they're way cheaper than Zipcar for the day.

Posted on: 2013/10/22 18:16

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2020/9/30 18:46
From Van Vorst Park
Group:
Registered Users
Also, the Enterprise on Washington Street delivers a rental car to your front door at no additional charge. Really awesome.

I did the car on the street thing for the first 3 years I lived here. If you don't drive to work and you are not handicapped, I honestly feel that it makes no sense. Unless you get home from work at 5:00, it is absolutely maddening having to move it for alternate side every night. Just a colossal waste of time, if you don't use it regularly. It is completely liberating to move away from a car-centric lifestyle.

If you are able bodied, walking to all of your errands is generally incredibly pleasant unless there is inclement weather, in which case I just postpone my errands. When walking, you notice more things around the neighborhood, you get fresh air, you greet neighbors, you get exercise - I feel like this is the way humans are meant to live. This is why city living has become popular again.

For anybody that disagrees with what I've said (totally understandable, everybody has differing opinions) - then in a dense, populous city you should be prepared to shell out money to keep your car in a convenient place, or deal with the aggravation of the near impossible task of finding a spot in a timely and easy manner.

Posted on: 2013/10/22 18:00

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2016/7/18 3:56
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

I'm part of that generation. I owned a car many years ago in another state; my partner never has. Aside from a couple people who need to drive for work, our friends are all carless too. We rent a couple days a year for skiing/hiking, but I can't imagine having to deal with a vehicle on a daily basis.

Quote:
NO f***ing way am I gonna do Zipcars and slow ass trains. For me it's quick jaunts to the shore or country or where ever I like. You "no cars" crowd can squeeze some fun out of Liberty State Park. Ugh. I'm sure chicks are impressed with the "I don't own a car" line.

Acting like there's nothing to do around here is ridiculous. I'd much rather see a show in Manhattan than sit in shore traffic for hours.

And what's wrong with Zipcar? Asking seriously.

Posted on: 2013/10/22 17:33

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2015/12/30 14:17
From Paulus Hook
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

Vigilante wrote:

No one minds if you do that, but don't expect to be catered to with free/cheap parking. If you want to own a car in this city, you should be prepared to pay through the nose for it, given the enormous burden you place on the rest of us.

Posted on: 2013/10/22 17:33

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2017/4/20 19:08
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

tommyc_37 wrote:
Quote:

Vigilante wrote:

1) Looks
2) Money
3) Personality
4) Education
5) Where you live
6) What you drive

Posted on: 2013/10/22 17:23

(1) 2 3 4 ... 8 »

[Advanced Search]

Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!

LicenseInformation | AboutUs | PrivacyPolicy | Faq | Contact

JERSEY CITY LIST - News & Reviews - Jersey City, NJ - Copyright 2004 - 2017