Register now !    Login  
Main Menu
Who's Online
130 user(s) are online (120 user(s) are browsing Message Forum)

Members: 0
Guests: 130

more...

Browsing this Thread:   1 Anonymous Users

« 1 (2)

Re: Could a Walking Bridge to NYC Be Jersey City’s Golden Ticket?
Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2016/3/2 20:54
Group:
Banned
I know the Holland Tunnel was designed and built with pedestrian use in mind.
I've also thought about a high arched pedestrian span between the two Holland tunnel ventilation structures that jut out into the river on both sides of the Hudson.
Unfortunately nobody is interested in infrastructure these days.

Posted on: 2014/9/30 15:56

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2018/10/5 14:16
Group:
Registered Users
Suggesting the benefits of what would be a multi-billion dollar project without listing one shortcoming or obstacle is like preaching free love. Oh, what passes for journalism these days...

Posted on: 2014/9/30 15:55

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2023/7/17 17:42
From Hamilton Park
Group:
Banned
This is officially the stupidest meme to keep popping up here, and that's saying a lot. I've said it before, it would be cheaper to provide helicopter service to all comers than build a mile long pedestrian bridge. Or better yet, how about free ferry service like Staten Island has? And that's not even getting into the NIMBY aspects of which towers on both shores would now have a bridge blocking their views. Let this one die, reviving it just shows deep ignorance of reality.

Posted on: 2014/9/30 15:50

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2017/6/16 11:22
From Jersey City, NJ
Group:
Registered Users
Logistically feasible, but would have to be at sufficient elevation and possibly have a draw-bridge feature to accommodate midtown-bound cruise ships and other waterway transport.

Given its trans-state nature, administration would likely fall to the PA, whose sign-off and financing would probably be necessary to build this. So then the whole situation gets political like the failed ARC initiative.

NYC has no strong initiative to participate. If anything NYC/NYS may oppose it as they don't want even more people and businesses departing to NJ. So the push would have to come from Fulop, which seems unlikely since he has much lower hanging fruit that he can pluck on his road to the governorship.

Posted on: 2014/9/30 15:50

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2020/12/23 21:08
Group:
Registered Users
Could an existing tunnel be converted to pedestrians/bicyclists only? I think the costs of bridge construction would be quite exorbitant and they need to move ocean liners through to the midtown westside piers.

Quote:

Old-Skool-JC wrote:
Absolutely in favor of a pedestrian bridge, tunnel or free ferry.
If only to remove the monopoly of the PA.

Posted on: 2014/9/30 15:32

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2016/3/2 20:54
Group:
Banned
Absolutely in favor of a pedestrian bridge, tunnel or free ferry.
If only to remove the monopoly of the PA.

Posted on: 2014/9/30 15:14

Could a Walking Bridge to NYC Be Jersey City’s Golden Ticket?
Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

Hide User information
Last Login :
2019/2/14 19:09
From DTJC
Group:
Registered Users
Could a Walking Bridge to NYC Be Jersey City?s Golden Ticket?

A good read, even though it seems far fetched. I hope (and pray) we get something like this in my lifetime!

http://www.insidejerseycity.com/2014/ ... jersey-city-to-manhattan/

Posted on: 2014/9/30 15:09

Re: Pedestrian and bicycle bridge to WFC
Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2023/7/17 17:42
From Hamilton Park
Group:
Banned
Quote:

On_The_3rd wrote:
If the ferries didn't charge triple the price of the PATH I'd be riding my bike to work everyday.

There really isn't a need for a bridge to satisfy the needs of cyclists. An additional rail car reserved for cyclists is another option that has proven successful (Caltrain in California).

But the PATH system at rush is already at maxed out with trains as long and as frequent as they can be, that's why there's the bike blackout to begin with.

The big difference between a free SI ferry and us having one is that SI is a big squeaky political wheel in NYC, and NYC controls the MTA bridge and tunnel cashflow to be able to subsidize the ferry. Here, JC has absolutely no power over the PA and their tunnel cash cow, we can't even tax their land!

Posted on: 2013/10/16 18:51

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2020/5/11 14:53
Group:
Registered Users
If the ferries didn't charge triple the price of the PATH I'd be riding my bike to work everyday.

There really isn't a need for a bridge to satisfy the needs of cyclists. An additional rail car reserved for cyclists is another option that has proven successful (Caltrain in California).

Posted on: 2013/10/16 18:00

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2017/2/3 3:59
From Hamilton Park
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

JerseyCityFrankie wrote:
A bridge would never be practical. The value of the real estate on each end would be too high to purchase the square miles of necessary bridge approach space on each shore. .

That's why the bridge would not carry vehicles. These access ramps are not necessary for a pedestrian bridge.

Posted on: 2013/10/16 3:12
I live by the river.

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2020/7/22 15:58
Group:
Registered Users
A bridge would never be practical. The value of the real estate on each end would be too high to purchase the square miles of necessary bridge approach space on each shore. Set your sites on something more prosaic like a huge sling shot to fire pedestrians and cyclists over the river one two and three at a time. Now all you need is a huge slingshot one each side of the Hudson, each with an accompanying huge net to safely catch the people with. Then a huge stack of waiver forms and some wind speed calculations.

Posted on: 2013/10/16 1:46

Quite a regular
Quite a regular

Hide User information
Last Login :
2018/7/14 4:02
From Hamilton Park
Group:
Registered Users
I'd like to see a scaled down version of this idea for a bridge from Exchange Place to Liberty State Park. Imagine the views!

Posted on: 2013/10/15 22:04

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2018/7/19 15:21
Group:
Registered Users
Why hasn't anyone suggested a gondola lift? It could be running 24/7, 365 days a year. It would cost a fraction of building a bridge, and it could actually be finished in our lifetimes. No more PA stranglehold. When I win the lottery, that's going to be my contribution to society.

Posted on: 2013/10/15 21:50

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
From Hamilton Park
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

jcman420 wrote:

Admire your grand ambition, but have you seen the height of the cruise ships that regularly travel past JC to and from the west side of Manhattan? You'd need a 15-story tower on each side of the bridge. Kind of defeats the purpose of being able to "walk" to Manhattan when you have to wait on a block-long line of people to board some type of massive elevator first.

As for a draw-bridge-- with the sheer volume of boat traffic up and down the Hudson, it'd have to be in the "up" position 23 hours out of the day.

How much of that traffic is too high to pass under a drawbridge? When I had a view of the river it seemed like it was only the cruise ships docking on the West Side and some warships during Fleet Week that were all that large. They don't pass by that often.

Posted on: 2013/10/15 21:33
I live by the river.

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2018/7/19 15:21
Group:
Registered Users
I have suggested on other threads about a free ferry like Staten Island. However, The Port Authority would never give up their monopoly. Just hand over your money and stop with the pipe dreams.

Posted on: 2013/10/15 21:32

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2020/5/28 15:24
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

Bogart wrote:
I would like to see an iconic pedestrian bridge built between Exchange Place and the World Financial Center. A drawbridge would be ideal, but if that is not possible the bridge could be elevated on two towers with stairs/ramps and elevators. Like the 9th St HBLR station with towers on both sides.

http://www.jcfaq.com/9thst.jpg

For illustration, this bridge is in Iowa and is on a smaller scale:

http://www.zalkjosephs.com/images/pro ... edestrian/rhythm1-big.jpg

Standing at the mouth of the Hudson the bridge would need to be architecturally impressive. Iconic. We'd call it The Jersey City Bridge. It would bring attention to the city and vastly increase the value of Downtown

Who do I have to call to get this done?

Admire your grand ambition, but have you seen the height of the cruise ships that regularly travel past JC to and from the west side of Manhattan? You'd need a 15-story tower on each side of the bridge. Kind of defeats the purpose of being able to "walk" to Manhattan when you have to wait on a block-long line of people to board some type of massive elevator first.

As for a draw-bridge-- with the sheer volume of boat traffic up and down the Hudson, it'd have to be in the "up" position 23 hours out of the day.

Posted on: 2013/10/15 21:14

Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

Hide User information
Last Login :
2019/2/15 19:25
Group:
Registered Users
I like the spirit but seems like you haven't thought this one through. This isn't a "who do I have to call to get this done." It's a "dedicate a good portion of my life TRYING to get this done."

Have you thought about who is going to be against this and how are you going to win over those people. That would be the most critical part of the project. Building a bridge is simple, we've done it for centuries. The political realities of doing something like this is the hard part.

Posted on: 2013/10/15 20:20

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2015/12/30 14:17
From Paulus Hook
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

Bogart wrote:
Millennium Bridge in London

http://www.pps.org/graphics/gpp/pedes ... hitecture_fk_03_10_xlarge

Quote:
It is fantastic to be able to walk over a major river without vehicles rumbling by at your side. Even better, London has provided two such places to do this in the last few years. The results of these efforts, combined with the comfortable pedestrian crossings on the London, Tower, Southwark, Waterloo and Albert Bridges, has virtually brought the two sides of the Thames together. This is certainly a transformative opportunity, probably wisely foreseen by visionary planners, which will define London for the future. No city has such opportunity to reinvent itself, and these bridges, more than any other development, create the setting in which to do so.

http://www.pps.org/great_public_spaces/one?public_place_id=658

Millenium Bridge is great.

The problem is that the Hudson River is orders of magnitude bigger than the Thames, or other rivers you'll cite. Even the wildly unlikely bridge to Governors Island from Manhattan the NYT called for the other week would be shorter--though a bridge to Governors Island from Brooklyn is at least feasible.

It's extraordinarily unlikely that this could be completed for less than the price of the South Ferry subway station. The drilling you'd have to do down in the river bed to support such a structure would alone be more expensive--easily over a billion dollars. The Hudson is not a narrow, shallow, rinky-dink river, and building a bridge over it--especially a bridge high enough to accomodate ship traffic--is incredibly difficult and expensive.

Constantly ranting about this proposition distracts from realistic, genuine and feasible proposals for increased and subsidized ferry service or better PATH service and does a disservice to Jersey City.

Posted on: 2013/10/15 20:14

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2017/11/7 17:48
From 8th st
Group:
Registered Users
http://www.travelandleisure.com/artic ... acular-pedestrian-bridges

But Sam Schwartz, aka ?Gridlock Sam,? sees the downturn in four-wheel purchases as a reason to build three cyclist and pedestrian-only bridges that access Manhattan from Brooklyn, Queens, Hoboken and Jersey City.

http://www.thirteen.org/metrofocus/20 ... tpedestrian-only-bridges/

Posted on: 2013/10/15 19:46

Edited by moobycow on 2013/10/15 20:07:58

Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

Hide User information
Last Login :
2014/8/23 19:32
From hamilton park
Group:
Registered Users
For inspiration....
There was a great piece in NYT for a pedestrian bridge to Governors' Island.

http://www.nytimes.com/2013/10/06/opi ... idge-no-cars-allowed.html

Posted on: 2013/10/15 19:12

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
From Hamilton Park
Group:
Registered Users
Millennium Bridge in London

http://www.pps.org/graphics/gpp/pedes ... hitecture_fk_03_10_xlarge

Quote:
It is fantastic to be able to walk over a major river without vehicles rumbling by at your side. Even better, London has provided two such places to do this in the last few years. The results of these efforts, combined with the comfortable pedestrian crossings on the London, Tower, Southwark, Waterloo and Albert Bridges, has virtually brought the two sides of the Thames together. This is certainly a transformative opportunity, probably wisely foreseen by visionary planners, which will define London for the future. No city has such opportunity to reinvent itself, and these bridges, more than any other development, create the setting in which to do so.

http://www.pps.org/great_public_spaces/one?public_place_id=658

Posted on: 2013/10/15 19:01
I live by the river.

Re: Pedestrian and bicycle bridge from Jersey City to Manhattan?
Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2023/9/14 15:34
From Hamilton Park
Group:
Registered Users
I love everything about your idea, but the thought of waiting for the elevator to the top and back down on the other side oh man.

Posted on: 2013/10/15 17:55

Edited by Webmaster on 2014/9/30 20:15:02

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2023/1/30 21:43
Group:
Registered Users
would be awesome

Posted on: 2013/10/15 17:54

Pedestrian and bicycle bridge from Jersey City to Manhattan?
Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
From Hamilton Park
Group:
Registered Users
I would like to see an iconic pedestrian bridge built between Exchange Place and the World Financial Center. A drawbridge would be ideal, but if that is not possible the bridge could be elevated on two towers with stairs/ramps and elevators. Like the 9th St HBLR station with towers on both sides.

http://www.jcfaq.com/9thst.jpg

For illustration, this bridge is in Iowa and is on a smaller scale:

http://www.zalkjosephs.com/images/pro ... edestrian/rhythm1-big.jpg

Standing at the mouth of the Hudson the bridge would need to be architecturally impressive. Iconic. We'd call it The Jersey City Bridge. It would bring attention to the city and vastly increase the value of Downtown

Who do I have to call to get this done?

Posted on: 2013/10/15 17:51

Edited by Webmaster on 2014/9/30 20:15:38
I live by the river.

« 1 (2)

[Advanced Search]

Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!