Register now !    Login  
Main Menu
Who's Online
54 user(s) are online (51 user(s) are browsing Message Forum)

Members: 0
Guests: 54

more...

Browsing this Thread:   1 Anonymous Users

« 1 2 3 4 (5) 6 7 8 9 »

Thin Sliced Chicken Cutlets
Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2019/4/25 12:43
Group:
Registered Users
Where can I get some thin sliced chicken cutlets? Everywhere I go they are sliced so thick?

Posted on: 2013/12/11 20:56

Re: sourcing ingredients in or around JC
Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2014/12/21 14:01
Group:
Banned
Quote:

Erica wrote:
Quote:

CdeCoincy wrote:
Looking for loose (not canned) Mariage Frere Tea - especially Earl Grey French Blue, or a taste and quality equivalent.

This is going to sound crazy, but I order it from Paris (http://www.mariagefreres.com/). You can find tins at Dean & Deluca and Garden of Eden (sometimes also at Williams Sonoma and Barneys) but the selection is poor and the markup is huge. So, even with international shipping, buying in bulk straight from the source ends up being cheaper.

Thank you Erika - I registered with MF and will place an order. Apparently, you have to create an account before you can order. The Cheese Eating Surrender Monkeys never make things easy.

Posted on: 2013/10/9 11:32

Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

Hide User information
Last Login :
2021/11/2 3:08
From Jersey Ave
Group:
Registered Users
Not sure if this is what you're looking for (Mariage-Freres)

http://www.markethallfoods.com/produc ... res-Earl-Grey-French-Blue

Posted on: 2013/10/8 20:22

Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

Hide User information
Last Login :
2015/8/5 0:12
From Downtown JC/Harsimus Cove
Group:
Registered Users
Thanks. I haven't been there since the renovation/condoification, but I was thinking specifically about Jersey City when I read that and thought there was a Plaza somewhere I was woefully ignorant about.

Posted on: 2013/10/8 20:02

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2020/4/26 22:05
Group:
Registered Users
I would think she meant the Food Hall at THE Plaza. As in, the Plaza Hotel in NYC.

The Plaza Hotel Food Hall

If you haven't visited the Food Hall, definitely check it out. They have some incredible food offerings. Obviously, it is upscale and expensive, but worth the occasional splurge.

Posted on: 2013/10/8 18:46

Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

Hide User information
Last Login :
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

itgirl wrote:

You might also try the food court in the Plaza, which I've found has lots of imported products. If you can wait a couple of days, the Earl Grey with Blue Flowers from Upton Tea might also fit the bill.[/quote]

...what food court at what Plaza....?

Posted on: 2013/10/8 17:28

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2023/6/11 23:48
From Western Slope
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

heights wrote:
Try Do You Tea.com or see if Smith & Chang has it.

There once was a tea shop in Downtown J.C. on Bay and Grove called Janam Tea but has relocated to Portland Oregon. Perhaps they would have some answers in the link below.
http://www.bookfresh.com/service/port ... anam-indian-tea/293850545

Posted on: 2013/10/8 15:08
Get on your bikes and ride !

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2018/8/16 15:40
From Village
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

CdeCoincy wrote:
Looking for loose (not canned) Mariage Frere Tea - especially Earl Grey French Blue, or a taste and quality equivalent.

This is going to sound crazy, but I order it from Paris (http://www.mariagefreres.com/). You can find tins at Dean & Deluca and Garden of Eden (sometimes also at Williams Sonoma and Barneys) but the selection is poor and the markup is huge. So, even with international shipping, buying in bulk straight from the source ends up being cheaper.

Posted on: 2013/10/8 14:31

Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

Hide User information
Last Login :
2017/3/3 21:06
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

CdeCoincy wrote:

I only ever see Mariage Frere at Dean and Deluca in Soho but it's a very limited selection. If you can't find the Earl Grey you're looking for, the Pleine Lune tea is a very nice scented substitute. You might also try the food court in the Plaza, which I've found has lots of imported products. If you can wait a couple of days, the Earl Grey with Blue Flowers from Upton Tea might also fit the bill.

Posted on: 2013/10/8 13:01

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2023/6/11 23:48
From Western Slope
Group:
Registered Users
Try Do You Tea.com or see if Smith & Chang has it.

Posted on: 2013/10/8 11:09
Get on your bikes and ride !

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
Group:
Banned

Posted on: 2013/10/8 10:44

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2020/10/5 21:44
Group:
Registered Users
I'll often make a left onto Elm Street while on 7 West after Schulyer Avenue and pick up some empanadas at Stella's when I'm headed that way. Also, pay homage to the Soprano's and get a dollar slice at Pizzaland, although I still haven't stopped for a beer at the Silver Bell saloon next door, which must be the smallest bar in NJ.

Posted on: 2013/10/3 21:04

Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

Hide User information
Last Login :
Group:
Registered Users
Everybody has their own way of determining what is worth what. This conversation has played out before on here, and in my opinion, the quality of produce at Corrado's is on a whole other level than Shop Rite. Corrado's sources a lot of produce locally from smaller NY/NJ/PA farms. Shop Rite gets some local produce, but they get it from NJ-based corporate farms. You can taste the difference. The short drive to North Arlington is negligible in terms of cost, and the benefit of supporting a local NJ family owned independent business that makes a lot of its own food and sells other local products such as Newark and Paterson-based baked goods is important to me.

Everyone is different. If you like the convenience of Shop Rite, the savings and enjoy what you buy there, that's all that matters. Your recipe sounds interesting--I normally parboil the rabe, then saute it with olive oil and garlic and a little crushed red pepper flake. I would never have thought to use raisins--I love that idea.

Posted on: 2013/10/3 20:36

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

CdeCoincy wrote:
Quote:

Monroe wrote:
I just got the Corrado's circular for this week, the highlight is broccoli rabe at $1.39/lb, limit four. The closest is the one in North Arlington, just east of the Passaic River on River Road off of Route 7, a short ride if you have a car. Considering it's been around $3/lb lately I'm going to be eating it all week.

1. How much is it per pound if you factor in the cost of driving?
2. BTW, it's 99cents a pound at Shoprite per today's circular.
3. I make cook mine with raisins and pinenuts, how do you make yours?

I boil mine for a couple of minutes, then shock in an ice bath. Generally I'll put garlic in a cold pan, cover with olive oil, and heat over the slowest flame to let the garlic flavor the oil. I'll then add the broccoli rabe, often with red pepper flakes too. Most often I'll either use that as a side dish, or saut? up sausage and make it with pasta, or chop it up and make crostini with the broccoli rabe, some crispy pancetta, and fried capers and a shaving of Parmigiano Reggiano. Since I needed to go west (and I usually buy other stuff at Corrado's, such as olive oil, cheaper than I get at Shop Rite-and I like Shop Rite, btw) the gas wasn't an issue.

Posted on: 2013/10/3 20:33

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
Group:
Banned
Quote:

Monroe wrote:
I just got the Corrado's circular for this week, the highlight is broccoli rabe at $1.39/lb, limit four. The closest is the one in North Arlington, just east of the Passaic River on River Road off of Route 7, a short ride if you have a car. Considering it's been around $3/lb lately I'm going to be eating it all week.

1. How much is it per pound if you factor in the cost of driving?
2. BTW, it's 99cents a pound at Shoprite per today's circular.
3. I make cook mine with raisins and pinenuts, how do you make yours?

Posted on: 2013/10/3 19:58

Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

Hide User information
Last Login :
Group:
Registered Users
Thanks. I might drive over there now.

Posted on: 2013/10/3 16:58

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
Group:
Registered Users

Posted on: 2013/10/3 15:54

Re: Looking for coconut oil in JC for cooking
Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2022/4/28 22:07
Group:
Registered Users
The grocery mart on 10th and Erie has some

Posted on: 2013/9/21 1:02

Quite a regular
Quite a regular

Hide User information
Last Login :
2013/9/20 23:11
Group:
Registered Users
The GnC on Grove Street has good coconut oil

Posted on: 2013/9/20 22:48

Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

Hide User information
Last Login :
Group:
Registered Users
There were two sizes of coconut oil at Pathmark over on Grand by the Bank of America ATM, in a little Indian foods section and priced reasonably. I also saw it at Apna Bazar last weekend. The best coconut oil I have gotten has been by mail, but when I was at Costco the other day they had the same brand I had ordered dirt cheap. I don't know if there is a Costco near JC but I will be at the one in Sunset Park again soon if you want me to pick some up for you. There has been a mistaken rumor going around that what Costco sells is not good quality. That is wrong. Here is the skinny: http://wholenewmom.com/reaching-out/i ... il-junk-or-the-real-deal/

Posted on: 2013/9/20 22:27

Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

Hide User information
Last Login :
2017/6/15 12:48
Group:
Registered Users
The Indian section on Newark ave or subias or that
Health food store on Newark ave.

Posted on: 2013/9/20 21:19

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
Group:
Registered Users
TJ's is $5.99 for 16oz as of a few weeks ago if you know anyone heading to Edgewater, Millburn, or out RT3.

Posted on: 2013/9/20 21:09

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2021/9/23 15:07
From Between Thought and Expression
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

MCBarretto wrote:
Does anyone know where I can buy cooking coconut oil in JC? Neighborhood location isn't as important to me as price. Thanks

You have to go to trader Joe's to get the good stuff (unrefined) for a decent price - or Amazon as previously suggested.

Posted on: 2013/9/20 20:54

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
3/7 17:22
Group:
Registered Users
I bought some from 555 once. It was rancid as hell.

I have hot into the habit of ordering more and more pantry stuff from Amazon. Items I often can't find in the store (i.e. lard).

Coconut oil from Amazon

Posted on: 2013/9/20 20:40

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2019/5/9 22:13
Group:
Registered Users
I don't know where to get that in JC, but I've ordered it through amamzon before, and delivered to my door

Posted on: 2013/9/20 20:40

Looking for coconut oil in JC for cooking

Hide User information
Last Login :
2014/1/3 20:51
Group:
Registered Users
Does anyone know where I can buy cooking coconut oil in JC? Neighborhood location isn't as important to me as price. Thanks

Posted on: 2013/9/20 20:36

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
Group:
Registered Users
As much as I like Andrea Salumeria on Central Ave in the Heights (it's my go-to spot for their home made soppressatta, which they'll slice for you) their Italian heros are edged out by Benanti's in Bayonne. Both are great sandwiches, but you get more bread choices (from the bins which you pick yourself) and they slice the meats and cheeses super thin at Benanti's. Love both places, actually, but if you've never been to Benanti's you should give it a try.

Posted on: 2013/7/29 19:02

Re: sourcing ingredients in or around JC/tahini
Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
Group:
Banned
http://www.amazon.com/Sesame-Organic- ... i-Kevala-Lb/dp/B005K0J1EG

S.J. - I have no idea if this is a good price, but delivery is free and the tahini is organic.

Posted on: 2013/7/28 18:49

Re: sourcing ingredients in or around JC/tahini
Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

Hide User information
Last Login :
Group:
Registered Users
Still hoping for a tahini lead.

I went to the Corrado's in North Arlington yesterday before seeing the responses here. It is MUCH smaller than the Clifton location but given the things I went there for--produce and meat and some kind of fresh bread--it was perfect. All the produce was well priced. Whole heads of romaine were .89 each. Basil was 2/$1.50. I also got ten pounds of bone-in chicken thighs (in total) that were .79 a pound.

My rule of thumb in terms of time driving, energy used, wear and tear versus not driving is really based on what I need and how much time I have. I tend to walk over to the vendors on Newark, the Key Food or La Conga or even ShopRite when I need a few items and I don't have a lot of time, but I drive to a larger place when I need to do a real substantive shop. I've seen Tender Shoot mentioned here a few times, so I will give them a try. I've been going to the place a few doors up from the firehouse on Newark just above Erie and I wasn't happy with anything I got there except the yellow pepper.

When I lived here previously, as I mentioned in another thread, I practically lived at Food Mart International, so I didn't have this issue. When I lived in Brooklyn, I went to the Red Hook Fairway or the Western Beef off of Flatbush at the end of Prospect Park two or three times a month with the car and filled in with things I could get close by. When I lived in the Village, shopping was miserable, so we had to get more strategic. We began driving out to Paramus to hit TJs and Fairway when we visited my mother, or Fairway in Douglaston on the way home from visiting my husband's father.

The Monday/Thursday market at the PATH plaza is a wonderful addition to the neighborhood, but I think the prices are pretty high. The Greenmarket at Union Square was our main source of produce when I lived in the Village and the prices there were more competitive. I have a house upstate in the Catskills as well, and you can't go a mile up there without passing by three people selling tomatoes and cukes and preserves, so for the moment I guess I am well fixed.

I am happy to try to coordinate a group trip once a month to a Fairway or Corrado's or something if anyone is interested.

Posted on: 2013/7/28 18:33

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
Group:
Registered Users
Today at the Pechter's bakery in Harrison, easy drive from most of JC-a 3lb loaf of their seeded rye which they sliced and put into two bags, a what must be 2lb loaf of lemon poppyseed pound cake, two poppyseed Kaiser rolls and two onion rolls-$11.05.

Posted on: 2013/7/28 1:44

« 1 2 3 4 (5) 6 7 8 9 »

[Advanced Search]

Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!

LicenseInformation | AboutUs | PrivacyPolicy | Faq | Contact

JERSEY CITY LIST - News & Reviews - Jersey City, NJ - Copyright 2004 - 2017