Register now !    Login  
Main Menu
Who's Online
125 user(s) are online (110 user(s) are browsing Message Forum)

Members: 0
Guests: 125

more...

Browsing this Thread:   1 Anonymous Users

« 1 2 3 4 (5)

Re: Micro Apartment Living
Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2022/2/28 7:31
From 280 Grove Street
Group:
Registered Users
People whine about parking, services, parks, dogs, noise, police numbers, the PATH and every social behavior issue on JClist.
Personally I believe the root cause is high density living and not just the socioeconomic make-up of JC.
We hear of issues around VVP and HP all the time and those areas being a more affluent parts of DTJC.
We continue to have complaints about property values, and its no wonder when you can get a newly built apartment for less then a used one!
I foresee a downturn in businesses occupying the buildings on the waterfront that will eventually be redeveloped to housing. I also doubt many if any property owner will be able to recoupe or generate a profit after interest has been paid back to the banks via mortage payments when they sell in the next 10 years.
Like always I hope I'm totally wrong and only time will tell - I've seen a number of people walk away in recent times from their homes with no profits or even suffering a loss. Foreclosures are still occuring but people are keeping quiet - There is nothing worse that after paying your mortage off that your house / apartment is worth less then you paid for it. Once again I hope I'm wrong, but hearing stories at my parish, people are suffering and the high density developments aren't doing any home owner a favor, or the city in general. Like cattle, you can only support so much per acre!

Posted on: 2013/10/8 2:25
My humor is for the silent blue collar majority - If my posts offend, slander or you deem inappropriate and seek deletion, contact the webmaster for jurisdiction.

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2023/7/17 17:42
From Hamilton Park
Group:
Banned
Quote:

jcman420 wrote:
Wasn't the major flooding in this area of DTJC during Irene and Sandy the result of an antiquated, overtaxed sewer system? I'm no engineer, but did anyone consider the impact of adding a concentrated structure of 400 toilets/ sinks/ showers?

Much as I bitch about the sewers, they're generally up to the sanitary load put on them. What they totally fail at is the task of draining a normal heavy rain, never mind them occasionally acting as a seawater distribution network for surging tide.

Posted on: 2013/10/8 1:41

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2020/5/28 15:24
Group:
Registered Users
Wasn't the major flooding in this area of DTJC during Irene and Sandy the result of an antiquated, overtaxed sewer system? I'm no engineer, but did anyone consider the impact of adding a concentrated structure of 400 toilets/ sinks/ showers?

Posted on: 2013/10/8 0:38

Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

Hide User information
Last Login :
2013/10/19 22:32
Group:
Banned
Build what ever they want, but damn it, no more downtown tax abatements!

Posted on: 2013/10/8 0:35

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2017/11/7 17:48
From 8th st
Group:
Registered Users
In what possible world is government high rise housing a valid comparison for this project? If you're actually interested in what went wrong with those housing projects you should read up, it has to do with concentration of poverty and cutting the projects off from the rest of the city.

Neither concentration of poverty or being cut off from the rest of the city will be an issue with this building.

I understand parking concerns. I understand questions on whether this is appropriate. I do not understand anyone calling for development to stop. Did you expect empty and underutilized lots in one of the more expensive places in the country to remain that way? Did you expect that after you moved into one of the very densist population centers in the country that the city would atop trying to attract more population?

I understand if the city is no longer to your liking, everyone wants different things, but JC didn't sign a suicide pact with you when you moved in. The city did not promise to stop growing. In fact every city everywhere does what it can to at track new development and new population. Thriving cities grow. The alternative isn't to stay static with magically improving infrastructure. The alternative is to stagnate and go backwards.

Posted on: 2013/10/8 0:10

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
From Hamilton Park
Group:
Banned
Quote:

fat-ass-bike wrote:
Just another social experiment to go wrong - People living in confined space and next to each other never works - Most cities are now knocking down government highrise high density estates because of the social problems they create.

It wasn't the density that caused the conditions of failure, it was the concentrated poverty. There's plenty of high density housing local and worldwide that works just fine, as long as it's occupied by functional members of society who won't piss in their own elevators.

Posted on: 2013/10/8 0:06

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2015/3/10 21:37
From The Heights.
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

fat-ass-bike wrote:
Just another social experiment to go wrong - People living in confined space and next to each other never works - Most cities are now knocking down government highrise high density estates because of the social problems they create.

Instead of improving transport and social infrustructure in outer city limits and regional areas, its cheaper to allow developers to sardine everyone in cities ... especially when developers can easily buy politicians for this to happen.

JC simply doesn't have the infrustructure to support a growing population - I believe we need to stop any further developments, improve local services and invest with other counties to create regional cities that meet the needs for a new community.

Sou you're saying we should forget about any and all new forms of revenue and halt all development because you feel cramped in one of the densest cities in America? I agree with you that the city should focus improving the transit system and other infrastructure for the city but to stop all development is stupid and would hurt JC.

And on top of that the developer is looking to build these apts around light rail and PATH stations. So other than increased foot traffic how would this exactly hurt JC?

Posted on: 2013/10/7 23:59

Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

Hide User information
Last Login :
2019/7/23 2:25
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

fat-ass-bike wrote:
Instead of improving transport and social infrustructure in outer city limits and regional areas, its cheaper to allow developers to sardine everyone in cities ... especially when developers can easily buy politicians for this to happen.

JC simply doesn't have the infrustructure to support a growing population - I believe we need to stop any further developments, improve local services and invest with other counties to create regional cities that meet the needs for a new community.

Boom! Fat-ass +1

Posted on: 2013/10/7 23:44

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2022/2/28 7:31
From 280 Grove Street
Group:
Registered Users

Posted on: 2013/10/7 23:33
My humor is for the silent blue collar majority - If my posts offend, slander or you deem inappropriate and seek deletion, contact the webmaster for jurisdiction.

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2015/2/5 16:38
Group:
Banned
Quote:

WhoElseCouldIBe wrote:
Quote:

SteveWilson29 wrote:
Quote:

WhoElseCouldIBe wrote:
So, what type of development would people in this neighborhood support? If a 30 unit building went up instead, it will still blow up the parking situation.

I think we should start demolishing buildings to make parking easier.

Why?

To. Make. Parking. Easier. This seems to be the biggest issue that foments opposition to any sort of development around here.

Posted on: 2013/10/7 22:59

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2019/12/26 15:30
From GV Bayside Park
Group:
Registered Users
These will do well @ the LSP, Garfield, Richard, Danforth and Westside station sine these areas have a lot of singles, but I imagine the rent would have to come down, since entire homes rent for that price with a parking space.

Posted on: 2013/10/7 22:48

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2014/12/21 14:01
Group:
Banned
Quote:

GlitterQueen wrote:
I own an apartment with a parking spot near there. Bring it on. If anything it'll make my apartment worth more when i sell it!

I just can't see people paying that much for a tiny apartment in JC but hey we will see.

With so many young adults having moved back with mom and dad, maybe the parents will foot the rent just to get junior out of the house.

Posted on: 2013/10/7 22:06

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2015/3/10 21:37
From The Heights.
Group:
Registered Users
To hell with it, let's just build only monster side parking garages like the mall has. That is the only solution and any other proposal makes you stupid!

But seriously I like this idea, especially this would fit my life perfectly and I would definitely check out these "micro" apts. I don't need some spacious loft. The only issue I see is why the hell would it be $1600? I know downtown is expensive but for that price might as well just get a regular size apt. I can find studios with more space for less money in the Square or the Heights.

Posted on: 2013/10/7 22:04

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2017/8/3 1:06
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

SteveWilson29 wrote:
Quote:

WhoElseCouldIBe wrote:
So, what type of development would people in this neighborhood support? If a 30 unit building went up instead, it will still blow up the parking situation.

Why?

Posted on: 2013/10/7 21:45

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2015/2/5 16:38
Group:
Banned
Quote:

WhoElseCouldIBe wrote:

Posted on: 2013/10/7 21:30

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
From Hamilton Park
Group:
Banned
Quote:

WhoElseCouldIBe wrote:
So, what type of development would people in this neighborhood support?

Oh, start with 2 parking spots per unit, and a Whole Foods on the ground floor!

Posted on: 2013/10/7 21:22

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2019/2/2 21:22
Group:
Registered Users
I own an apartment with a parking spot near there. Bring it on. If anything it'll make my apartment worth more when i sell it!

I just can't see people paying that much for a tiny apartment in JC but hey we will see.

Posted on: 2013/10/7 21:19

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2017/8/3 1:06
Group:
Registered Users

I think we have to face the reality that free and easy parking is rare and decreasing every day in downtown JC. And I say this as someone who lives close to this area and has a car.

As a result of further development in this neighborhood, I will probably have to pay for a parking spot. But I don't think that's a reason not to build.

Posted on: 2013/10/7 21:05

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2015/6/24 20:34
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

HamSandwichPark wrote:
This situation has very little to do with parking. The reason for the uproar is mainly because the developers were given the property for basically nothing and are offering no improvements to the neighborhood/infrastructure. We as a neighborhood are sick of being taken advantage of by corrupt local politicians (of JC's past) stuffing their pockets. Hopefully the new political regime can force the developers to give something back.

This is definitely something better to be concerned about and it would be nice to see an end to these sweetheart real estate deals but I'd frankly rather have a new development and sidewalk traffic in that corner of downtown over the fenced in open lot that's there now.

My concern is that there's a strong case of NIMBYism going around and that they're using the real estate deal as a guise for their real reasons for not wanting it there (ie parking, added density, renters, whatever).

Hopefully Fulop will put an end to these real estate giveaways going forward but this seems like a done deal and I'm all for it.

Posted on: 2013/10/7 20:51

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
From 8th st
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

HamSandwichPark wrote:
This situation has very little to do with parking.

This is not at all consistent with what I have been hearing. Other things come up, but word 1 out of every single person's mouth that I have spoken to has been parking.

Posted on: 2013/10/7 20:46

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2015/6/24 20:34
Group:
Registered Users
On and on with this parking stuff! Seriously, Jersey City is one of the densest cities in the US. This development would be a 10 minute walk to the PATH. The target market for this is going to be young professionals working in Manhattan. Who gives a crap about parking?

Let the market sort it out. I bet this place would be filled up in no time. Small apartments perfect for young single people at a reasonable cost. Sounds great! It's not like Bright and Varick is some glistening oasis of a street corner, either.

This is exactly the kind of development this city should be encouraging! NYC has a competition encouraging creative thinking about this kind of living while JC residents are clutching their pearls over young "transients" and worrying about their precious parking spots. If you must have a car then pay the $200/mo to put it in a lot just like you would in every other dense inner city in the country.

Posted on: 2013/10/7 20:45

Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

Hide User information
Last Login :
2019/7/23 2:25
Group:
Registered Users
This situation has very little to do with parking. The reason for the uproar is mainly because the developers were given the property for basically nothing and are offering no improvements to the neighborhood/infrastructure. We as a neighborhood are sick of being taken advantage of by corrupt local politicians (of JC's past) stuffing their pockets. Hopefully the new political regime can force the developers to give something back.

Posted on: 2013/10/7 20:44

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2022/2/8 3:24
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

hero69 wrote:
Personally, I think the developers should be allowed to put up 200 square foot units if they are safe. Let the market determine how much space a person needs

+1

Posted on: 2013/10/7 20:33

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
From Hamilton Park
Group:
Banned
Quote:

moobycow wrote:
This is definitely a unique proposal and I'm not surprised that people are coming out against it. On the other hand I can't remember a single new development that JC residents have been for in recent years.

That's because it's always all about parking. Even if the development has parking, it's never enough for the people who don't want even one more person taking "their" spot.

As for the units, my 1st apartment was a 12x20 studio in Chelsea. At least it was right in the middle of Manhattan, but times do change and maybe being in Downtown JC is worth it. Let the market decide. But let's hope it doesn't all end up as AirBnB.

Posted on: 2013/10/7 20:02

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
From 8th st
Group:
Registered Users
This is definitely a unique proposal and I'm not surprised that people are coming out against it. On the other hand I can't remember a single new development that JC residents have been for in recent years.

Posted on: 2013/10/7 19:50

Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

Hide User information
Last Login :
2015/9/9 14:13
Group:
Registered Users
It's not just the lady in the article. It's over 400 and counting neighbors and residents who are not necessarily opposed to Micro Apartments but to the allowances in this Redevelopment plan for a small lot on a quiet street with infrastructure & parking issues already.

Posted on: 2013/10/7 19:33

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2023/1/30 21:43
Group:
Registered Users
Personally, I think the developers should be allowed to put up 200 square foot units if they are safe. Let the market determine how much space a person needs

Posted on: 2013/10/7 19:25

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2020/12/23 21:08
Group:
Registered Users
I think this is a brilliant concept to bring affordable housing to DTJC. Most young professionals will be commuting to manhattan and will not likely need the use of a car. Even 1600 -1800 is not cheap and most individuals will probably be cracking 100K. So, i'm not sure why the lady in the article was so resistant to the idea. There are plenty of other buildings with 2 bedrooms in the neighborhood that families can rent.

Posted on: 2013/10/7 17:26

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2019/9/26 14:52
Group:
Registered Users
I like the architecture and the idea as a whole, but I don't understand why they got out of providing parking.

Posted on: 2013/10/7 16:54

Micro Apartment Living
Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2023/6/11 23:48
From Western Slope
Group:
Registered Users
http://hudsonreporter.com/view/full_s ... ty--?instance=jersey_city
268 Varick to house small apartment living spaces may spread to other development in J.C.

Posted on: 2013/10/7 16:42
Get on your bikes and ride !

« 1 2 3 4 (5)

[Advanced Search]

Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!

LicenseInformation | AboutUs | PrivacyPolicy | Faq | Contact

JERSEY CITY LIST - News & Reviews - Jersey City, NJ - Copyright 2004 - 2017