Register now !    Login  
Main Menu
Who's Online
151 user(s) are online (129 user(s) are browsing Message Forum)

Members: 0
Guests: 151

more...

Browsing this Thread:   1 Anonymous Users

(1) 2 »

Re: Parking in Hamilton Park...
Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2017/8/3 1:06
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

RUinHamiltonPark wrote:
Parking in NYC is easily double. The most expensive parking in JC is 250/mo, and the very bargain basement in the city if you could find it is at least $400.

Hoboken is denser than downtown JC...and many people there have cars. Same for Brooklyn.

The only place where most people go carless is Manhattan, and that is mostly because of the price and insane congestion, which JC is nowhere close to.

Sorry, but I work in the suburbs, the train is over a mile from my office, my family lives nowhere near any PT and the little PT from JC doesn't run weekends...the train to the shore takes 2 hours because of an inexplicable transfer at Long Branch...

I could go on here. But this isn't Germany. If you live a life that goes beyond Hudson County, Newark, and NYC, you need a car.

You can have a car. But the likelihood of free parking in downtown JC is dwindling each day. The city is changing..

Posted on: 2013/10/2 20:16

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2020/9/30 18:46
From Van Vorst Park
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

RUinHamiltonPark wrote:
If you live a life that goes beyond Hudson County, Newark, and NYC, you need a car.

I would edit that to "If you live a life that REGULARLY goes beyond Hudson County, Newark, and NYC, a car would be beneficial".

But I'd also say that a lot of people in downtown JC do not lead lives that go beyond those parameters on a regular basis, and when they do, there is zipcar, car rentals, and trains/buses.

Posted on: 2013/10/2 19:18

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2020/8/26 13:40
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

gordonh wrote:
I see households with a garage (that is not used for parking a car) street park more than one car, as well. Not cool.

Counter-argument is that smaller buildings (< 5 units) with garages have the garage assessed as part of their building and pay substantial property tax on it. Built-in garages are considered part of regular sq footage/living space for assessments. If people choose to use their garage as living space, and park on the street, I don't see the issue.

Posted on: 2013/10/2 19:13

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2016/9/8 19:37
From Soho West
Group:
Registered Users
Parking in NYC is easily double. The most expensive parking in JC is 250/mo, and the very bargain basement in the city if you could find it is at least $400.

Hoboken is denser than downtown JC...and many people there have cars. Same for Brooklyn.

The only place where most people go carless is Manhattan, and that is mostly because of the price and insane congestion, which JC is nowhere close to.

Sorry, but I work in the suburbs, the train is over a mile from my office, my family lives nowhere near any PT and the little PT from JC doesn't run weekends...the train to the shore takes 2 hours because of an inexplicable transfer at Long Branch...

I could go on here. But this isn't Germany. If you live a life that goes beyond Hudson County, Newark, and NYC, you need a car.

Posted on: 2013/10/2 18:07

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2018/10/30 19:53
Group:
Registered Users
+1! I think it is inconsiderate for households to street park more than one car. I see households with a garage (that is not used for parking a car) street park more than one car, as well. Not cool. I am also worried about the 10 new condos on Jersey and 4th adding 10+ cars to the neighborhood. I know the rule is that developers don't have to provide parking with <10 units, but there is no room for more street parking in this area. Another Quote:
DouglasReynholm wrote: Normal parking permit rate for first car, 250 dollars for a second car registered to same address. Hell, make it more, I don't care!

Posted on: 2013/10/2 17:33

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2020/12/4 19:30
Group:
Registered Users
Normal parking permit rate for first car, 250 dollars for a second car registered to same address. Hell, make it more, I don't care!

Posted on: 2013/10/2 17:14

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2018/9/5 2:01
From Hamilton Park
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

tommyc_37 wrote:
Well, I suppose everybody has their own version of what attracts them to living in JC, and that's definitely awesome.

But the fact remains that as time goes on, and downtown JC's density continues to increase, it will be increasingly harder to own a car here. Likewise, as density increases, a car-free lifestyle will be even easier to achieve, as there will be more amenities within walking distance.

There is already a solid percentage of DT JCers living without a car, and I'd expect that percentage to increase somewhat. For those residents that require a car for daily life, I would expect the cost of offstreet parking to go up in years to come, as open space becomes scarcer and obviously more expensive.

+1

Posted on: 2013/10/1 21:09

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2019/3/8 17:09
Group:
Registered Users
there is a huge spread between monthly parking costs in DTJC versus Manhattan. That spread likely to narrow if development increases the number of car owning DTJC residents. Pretty much inevitable...

Posted on: 2013/10/1 20:16

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2017/8/3 1:06
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

RUinHamiltonPark wrote:
If you can afford to live in Manhattan, you can probably afford a cab. It's mostly young people there living in cramped quarters taking the subway.

People in JC often have cars because they work in the suburbs. They are often from NJ and need access to their families. They like going to the shore and mountains on the weekends.

The fact of the matter is...one of the reasons I chose JC is that it is more pleasant to keep a car and I had how places have tried (Brooklyn and Hoboken are great examples) and failed to be rid of them.

You can have a car and park in JC.. but you'll probably have to pay for it.

Posted on: 2013/10/1 19:26

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
From Van Vorst Park
Group:
Registered Users
Well, I suppose everybody has their own version of what attracts them to living in JC, and that's definitely awesome.

But the fact remains that as time goes on, and downtown JC's density continues to increase, it will be increasingly harder to own a car here. Likewise, as density increases, a car-free lifestyle will be even easier to achieve, as there will be more amenities within walking distance.

There is already a solid percentage of DT JCers living without a car, and I'd expect that percentage to increase somewhat. For those residents that require a car for daily life, I would expect the cost of offstreet parking to go up in years to come, as open space becomes scarcer and obviously more expensive.

Posted on: 2013/10/1 19:08

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2016/9/8 19:37
From Soho West
Group:
Registered Users
If you can afford to live in Manhattan, you can probably afford a cab. It's mostly young people there living in cramped quarters taking the subway.

People in JC often have cars because they work in the suburbs. They are often from NJ and need access to their families. They like going to the shore and mountains on the weekends.

The fact of the matter is...one of the reasons I chose JC is that it is more pleasant to keep a car and I had how places have tried (Brooklyn and Hoboken are great examples) and failed to be rid of them.

Posted on: 2013/10/1 18:49

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2017/4/20 19:08
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

tommyc_37 wrote:
Vindication, do you have any evidence that wealthy people in New York don't like to take public transit? New York is often cited as the one place where wealthy people DO prefer to take pubic transit.

Are you hypothesizing that wealthy people who live in JC are driving to their jobs in Manhattan? I think that is way, way off.

If you live in NYC, as others have mentioned, you walk, take cabs, or take car service.

If you live in DTJC and work in NYC and are wealthy, you take the ferry, take car service, or work from home.

However, many in NYC and DTJC do have cars. I believe a parking space in Manhattan was just sold for a mill this year. How else will they get to their vacation home upstate or to the Hamptons?

Posted on: 2013/9/30 20:10

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2019/12/26 15:30
From GV Bayside Park
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

tommyc_37 wrote:
Somebody living in Manhattan, and only taking the subway "from time to time", has to be an anomaly.

This is very common, the two people that work in my office that live in Manhattan walk to work. They only live a few blocks away. Once of my buddies is retired so he does not work, and the other two work in midtown, so they either walk, bike, or take a cab. I take cabs everyday from ground zero so its not that uncommon. If you live in a borough then taking the subway would be more common, before I moved to JC I lived in hell's kitchen and barely ever took the subway unless I was visiting fam in BK.

Posted on: 2013/9/30 19:18

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
From Van Vorst Park
Group:
Registered Users
Somebody living in Manhattan, and only taking the subway "from time to time", has to be an anomaly.

Posted on: 2013/9/30 19:12

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2019/12/26 15:30
From GV Bayside Park
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

tommyc_37 wrote:
Brewster, things were different 23 years ago, and the subway in particular had a terrible reputation, as there was still much crime that occurred on it.

And cabs and/or black cars do not require having access to a parking space.

I have three good friends in NYC and they all have cars. One lives in Chelsea and the other two are in the West Village and they pay about 650 a month for parking. They do take the subway from time to time, but when we go up to WS or the CS we usually drive.

Posted on: 2013/9/30 18:57

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
From Van Vorst Park
Group:
Registered Users
Brewster, things were different 23 years ago, and the subway in particular had a terrible reputation, as there was still much crime that occurred on it.

And cabs and/or black cars do not require having access to a parking space.

Posted on: 2013/9/30 18:54

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2023/7/17 17:42
From Hamilton Park
Group:
Banned
Quote:

tommyc_37 wrote:
Vindication, do you have any evidence that wealthy people in New York don't like to take public transit? New York is often cited as the one place where wealthy people DO prefer to take pubic transit.

Are you hypothesizing that wealthy people who live in JC are driving to their jobs in Manhattan? I think that is way, way off.

Often they take cabs or black cars exclusively. About 1990 I suggested to my investment banker brother and his (bitch) wife that they look at a loft building for sale on Church & White in Tribeca (now a white hot area). I said "it's near many subway lines". My SIL replies: "who takes subways?"

Posted on: 2013/9/30 18:46

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
From Van Vorst Park
Group:
Registered Users

Posted on: 2013/9/30 18:35

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2017/4/20 19:08
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

tommyc_37 wrote:
I understand that some people need cars for their day to day life, but at some point we are going to have to realize that with Jersey City being one of the densest cities in the United States, it might not be the best choice of a place to live for somebody who needs to drive, versus taking public transit.

I'm all for smart development, but I don't think developers of residential buildings should be placing parking spots high on their list of considerations/priorities.

I'm curious, are new developments in comparable places such as Brooklyn offering parking like a lot of the buildings are in JC?

I understand the urge for people to take public transportation. With that being said, I think we are missing some facts for this discussion.

1) NYC housing stock is extremely low - even for the wealthy who can afford a 1 million or close to 1 million apartment/condo.

2) DTJC is very close to NYC.

3) The wealthy do not like to take public transportation, especially the mess known as the PATH.

4) There is a market for those wealthy individuals and DTJC would be crazy not to accommodate them with deeded parking in their building.

5) Most luxury buildings do have either deeded or monthly parking avail. Any new development without it falls behind market wise.

In real estate, it's all about location and then second comes value for the location and then third is amenities.

Posted on: 2013/9/30 18:27

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2022/2/8 3:24
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

tommyc_37 wrote:
I understand that some people need cars for their day to day life, but at some point we are going to have to realize that with Jersey City being one of the densest cities in the United States, it might not be the best choice of a place to live for somebody who needs to drive, versus taking public transit.

I'm all for smart development, but I don't think developers of residential buildings should be placing parking spots high on their list of considerations/priorities.

I'm curious, are new developments in comparable places such as Brooklyn offering parking like a lot of the buildings are in JC?

+1

Posted on: 2013/9/30 18:04

Not too shy to talk
Not too shy to talk

Hide User information
Last Login :
2015/3/18 17:32
Group:
Registered Users
i also figured that the schools are back in session causing the parking to be tight. i noticed after 8pm some spots seem to open up.

I know i contribute to it, rotating 2 cars as i'm trying to sell one.

Posted on: 2013/9/30 16:32

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
From Van Vorst Park
Group:
Registered Users

Posted on: 2013/9/30 16:31

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2015/2/5 16:38
Group:
Banned
Quote:

corybraiterman wrote:
In fairness, the city did some construction work on 4th and 5th streets, tearing up the asphalt to get ready for a new layer, sending everyone on both streets out into the rest of the neighborhood for spots.

I wouldn't be terribly surprised to learn that some other nearby streets also received this treatment, since they tend to do a few blocks at a time.

Eighth and Ninth streets recently had sewers redone, leaving entire blocks as no parking zones.

Posted on: 2013/9/30 16:23

Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

Hide User information
Last Login :
2020/12/18 19:08
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

caj11 wrote:
[quote]
I don't suppose the $100 rate applies to Newport residents as well does it? Because I'm paying $175 per month to park in that garage, assuming we're talking about the garage that is closer to Hamilton Park and if the $100 rate applies to me, I've been a sucker for over a year but would like to make sure I'm being charged the lower amount if I am eligible.

Yes, it's the garage closest to HP. Unfortunately this rate is only for residents of the Hamilton Park neighborhood, you need to provide proof of address to get the $100 a month rate (lease, mortgage). I think it has something to do with an agreement with the neighborhood when they built the mall back in the '80's.

Posted on: 2013/9/30 15:30

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2022/4/28 22:07
Group:
Registered Users
In fairness, the city did some construction work on 4th and 5th streets, tearing up the asphalt to get ready for a new layer, sending everyone on both streets out into the rest of the neighborhood for spots.

I wouldn't be terribly surprised to learn that some other nearby streets also received this treatment, since they tend to do a few blocks at a time.

Posted on: 2013/9/30 15:12

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2018/4/25 16:16
From Hamilton Park
Group:
Registered Users
Just noticed this from HPNA:
HPNA PUBLIC MEETING WEDNESDAY, OCT 2ND, 2013

7:30PM CORDERO SCHOOL AUDITORIUM

Erie Street (between 8th& 9th Streets)

Guest Speakers from KRE to present proposed plans for about 400 units, retail & park on roughly 5 acres. Location: Marin between 8th/9th Streets (behind Unico Towers). KRE projects include Grove Pointe and 225 Grand

I hope these new developments ( including Hamilton Square) will include parking for other HP residents as well as having parking spaces for each resident of their respective buildings.

Posted on: 2013/9/30 15:10

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2023/10/30 19:51
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

SwitchboardGirl wrote:
This is one of the reasons I now have monthly parking at the Newport Mall. Parking is not only a hassle but due to parking on the street my last car had quite a few dents from being hit by other cars. If you're a Hamilton Park resident it only costs $100 a month for parking at the mall. My only regret is not having done this sooner.

I don't suppose the $100 rate applies to Newport residents as well does it? Because I'm paying $175 per month to park in that garage, assuming we're talking about the garage that is closer to Hamilton Park and if the $100 rate applies to me, I've been a sucker for over a year but would like to make sure I'm being charged the lower amount if I am eligible.

Posted on: 2013/9/30 15:07

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2020/8/26 11:59
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

Garden wrote:
...am I imagining it - OR - has finding a parking space in and around Hamilton Park been absolutely impossible these past 2 weeks?!

Not sure if you are personally experiencing this during specific times during the day. Since you specifically pinpoint the last 2 weeks as being an issue perhaps it is related to school being back in session. All of those teachers that teach at Cordero School, McNair, and all the little pre-schools in the neighborhood have to park somewhere I suppose.

Posted on: 2013/9/30 14:52

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2023/1/15 1:13
From Leashless Glory.
Group:
Banned
I have a neighbor who has 2 large vehicles. Both are NY plates and do not have parking permits. Both vehicles leave during the day so dodge the resident parking permit times. One of them has commercial plates and is a large Pick-up. I have called the JCPD twice after 9pm and they have issued tickets. Basically one household is taking up 3 spots with their large vehicles, have no residential permit and have not re-registered their vehicles in NJ. It is people like that who should NEVER be allowed to park on residential streets. I have also noticed people who believe their vehicles are "special" purposely taking 2 spots and creating a large buffer-zone around their cars. Those people must be taught a lesson.

Posted on: 2013/9/30 14:02

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2020/2/6 21:28
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:
ditto VVP area. Not sure what the cause is, some speculate that more Dixon Mills residents have cars now and a percentage would rather street park free than pay a few bucks to use their lot...

The spots are privately deeded parking spots and not all units come with parking spots. I'm not sure what the exact number is, but I'm guessing maybe half the units have a parking spot? Occasionally, owners rent out their spots out. But let's be clear.... "a few bucks" is actually $150-225 a month.

99% of the time, I park on Columbus, west of Coles. That's where I see my neighbors park too. I doubt that is impacting you too much?

Posted on: 2013/9/30 13:46

(1) 2 »

[Advanced Search]

Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!

LicenseInformation | AboutUs | PrivacyPolicy | Faq | Contact

JERSEY CITY LIST - News & Reviews - Jersey City, NJ - Copyright 2004 - 2017