Register now !    Login  
Main Menu
Who's Online
81 user(s) are online (73 user(s) are browsing Message Forum)

Members: 0
Guests: 81

more...

Browsing this Thread:   1 Anonymous Users

Re: Can one claim damage from building insurance if doesnt have renters insurance?
Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2021/10/2 19:00
From Jersey Cxxx
Group:
Registered Users
A thorough standard lease will have a clause that reminds tenants their belongings are not covered by the landlord?s insurance and recommends they obtain a renter?s policy. Tenants are not covered under the insurance of the property owner who is insured for the physical building (structure) and the property owners possessions..

An exception to the above clause can occur if the landlord was aware of a prior hazardous condition, failed to correct it in a reasonable time frame, and as a result your property was damaged. If the building contractor caused this to happen he should have been licensed and bonded. You may have a claim against both the landlord and contractor.

Have you spoke with the property owner and he/she has refused to compensate you for the damage to you personal belongings? You may be able to sue in NJ Civil Court which has a threshold on the amount you can sue for.

Good luck.

Posted on: 2013/9/29 6:00

Can one claim damage from building insurance if doesnt have renters insurance?
Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

Hide User information
Last Login :
2022/10/4 13:18
Group:
Registered Users
I rented out an apt in a building that recently got damaged because of water pipe burst. It happened because of no fault of the unit owner and building contractor are working to repair the common area.

Our apt, along with many many others, also got damaged. While the owners have insurance, we did not take renter's insurance thinking that owners insurance would be enough. It seems it doesn't. If I had known this, I would have taken a separate renter's question just like everytime before.

My question is that can I claim damages to my furniture and personal items from building's insurance? What is the best way around it? When I called them they said since you don't have renters insurance you can't.

Would appreciate some advice.

Posted on: 2013/9/29 1:46

[Advanced Search]

Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!

LicenseInformation | AboutUs | PrivacyPolicy | Faq | Contact

JERSEY CITY LIST - News & Reviews - Jersey City, NJ - Copyright 2004 - 2017