Register now !    Login  
Main Menu
Who's Online
104 user(s) are online (75 user(s) are browsing Message Forum)

Members: 0
Guests: 104

more...

Browsing this Thread:   1 Anonymous Users

Re: Newport Ferry Terminal
Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2016/7/18 3:56
Group:
Registered Users
Sounds like the pier owners didn't want to pay for necessary repairs. Which is kinda weird, when you think about it, because what else can you use the pier for? There aren't, like, competing ferry companies who won't mind it being structurally unsound...

Posted on: 2014/1/17 5:25

Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

Hide User information
Last Login :
2015/3/16 17:45
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

caj11 wrote:
Well, it's official now. The Newport Ferry terminal is no more and service will not be restarted from there. See the link:

http://www.nywaterway.com/AdvisoryDetails.aspx?aid=369

Based on what I, and apparently councilwoman Osborne, was told by the New York Waterway, it seems like they were misleading everyone, giving the indication that they just needed another permit or part for gangway (they said something about ordering a part from Florida at one point) and just a short time away from reopening. This is a major disappointment - why didn't they just say there wasn't enough traffic to justify keeping it open?

That's too bad. As development continues to grow, the town is going to need alternatives to the PATH.

Posted on: 2014/1/17 4:22

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2023/10/30 19:51
Group:
Registered Users
Well, it's official now. The Newport Ferry terminal is no more and service will not be restarted from there. See the link:

http://www.nywaterway.com/AdvisoryDetails.aspx?aid=369

Based on what I, and apparently councilwoman Osborne, was told by the New York Waterway, it seems like they were misleading everyone, giving the indication that they just needed another permit or part for gangway (they said something about ordering a part from Florida at one point) and just a short time away from reopening. This is a major disappointment - why didn't they just say there wasn't enough traffic to justify keeping it open?

Posted on: 2014/1/17 1:21

Quite a regular
Quite a regular

Hide User information
Last Login :
2013/11/21 17:13
From Jersey City
Group:
Registered Users
Very cool to see a little message board community making waves in the Hudson--literally. :D

Posted on: 2013/9/20 2:34

Quite a regular
Quite a regular

Hide User information
Last Login :
2014/12/18 3:12
Group:
Registered Users
Heard right back from Councilwoman Osborne. It's great to find a responsive office on the other end of the line.

"I got the update. The New York Waterway ferry is waiting for a permit from The New Jersey Department of Environmental Protection to be able to relocate the pontoon bridge to a safe section of the waterfront walkway. They have been waiting for a long time. While this is in the state's hands, my office will send a letter on this to the DEP asking them to please prioritize the work as it is exacerbating commuting conditions within the city."

These kind of projects can always benefit from the attention of local governments. Hopefully the glacial pace will pick up a bit now.

Posted on: 2013/9/19 15:45

Quite a regular
Quite a regular

Hide User information
Last Login :
Group:
Registered Users
the newport ferry connection is to w.39th street. to get to this terminal from hoboken, you need to use the northern ferry pier near 13th st in hoboken. the ferries from the hoboken ferry terminal run to wall street (and perhaps also to the east river.)

Quote:

Samir wrote:
Quote:

fip wrote:
Actually the main Hoboken ferry terminal connection only goes to downtown. Hoboken ferry connections to 39th street leave from a mile north. In any case, I just wrote Council Woman Osborne to see if the city has any leverage in the process.
Ahh, I didn't know this. Where does the Newport ferry connect to that Hoboken doesn't?

Posted on: 2013/9/19 5:59

Quite a regular
Quite a regular

Hide User information
Last Login :
From Jersey City
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:
caj11 wrote:
I posted on the New York Waterway Facebook page recently inquiring about the status of this terminal and received a rather quick response. They said that they had ordered a new ramp from Florida and hope to reopen in October. I'll believe it when I see it of course, but it does sound promising. I just don't understand why the local press hasn't reported anything about this terminal being closed for so long.
That's really good to hear. :) Interesting how facebook is being used sometimes instead of other mediums...

Posted on: 2013/9/18 22:12

Quite a regular
Quite a regular

Hide User information
Last Login :
From Jersey City
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

fip wrote:
Actually the main Hoboken ferry terminal connection only goes to downtown. Hoboken ferry connections to 39th street leave from a mile north. In any case, I just wrote Council Woman Osborne to see if the city has any leverage in the process.
Ahh, I didn't know this. Where does the Newport ferry connect to that Hoboken doesn't?

Posted on: 2013/9/18 22:11

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

Samir wrote:
Quote:

fip wrote:
when I wrote their info email to find out what was being done on 7/31 I received this reply "We express regret for the inconvenience; unfortunately this is beyond our control. We don't have any new updates on the pier; however we anticipate that it won't be open for at least another month."

"beyond our control" makes me think that either the pier is owned by the city or a private agency that needs to be prodded. I asked who I might follow up with and did not receive a reply.
That sounds like it's damaged beyond the point where the government will allow it to operate, and they don't have the cash or want to spend it fixing it.

Oh well, Hoboken is only 5 minutes away anyways.

I posted on the New York Waterway Facebook page recently inquiring about the status of this terminal and received a rather quick response. They said that they had ordered a new ramp from Florida and hope to reopen in October. I'll believe it when I see it of course, but it does sound promising. I just don't understand why the local press hasn't reported anything about this terminal being closed for so long.

Posted on: 2013/9/18 18:28

Quite a regular
Quite a regular

Hide User information
Last Login :
Group:
Registered Users

Posted on: 2013/9/18 18:03

Quite a regular
Quite a regular

Hide User information
Last Login :
From Jersey City
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

fip wrote:
when I wrote their info email to find out what was being done on 7/31 I received this reply "We express regret for the inconvenience; unfortunately this is beyond our control. We don't have any new updates on the pier; however we anticipate that it won't be open for at least another month."

"beyond our control" makes me think that either the pier is owned by the city or a private agency that needs to be prodded. I asked who I might follow up with and did not receive a reply.
That sounds like it's damaged beyond the point where the government will allow it to operate, and they don't have the cash or want to spend it fixing it.

Oh well, Hoboken is only 5 minutes away anyways.

Posted on: 2013/9/18 17:50

Quite a regular
Quite a regular

Hide User information
Last Login :
Group:
Registered Users

Posted on: 2013/9/18 17:19

Quite a regular
Quite a regular

Hide User information
Last Login :
From Jersey City
Group:
Registered Users
I was wondering about this as well. We just moved to the area in May and didn't see the Ferry running. It's now September and I don't think it's running either.

We never saw anyone trying to repair anything there. I think since the Hoboken terminal is so close, they'll probably just leave it alone for now.

Posted on: 2013/9/18 16:34

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2022/2/28 7:31
From 280 Grove Street
Group:
Registered Users
Would it be fair to say that the man-made river bank height on the NJ side of the Hudson is lower then the NY side; thus we are first to feel the effect of flooding and NY is less likely to have any impact to tidal or river level changes?

Posted on: 2013/7/31 0:13
My humor is for the silent blue collar majority - If my posts offend, slander or you deem inappropriate and seek deletion, contact the webmaster for jurisdiction.

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2018/1/6 18:15
Group:
Banned
I expected more people from Newport would take the ferry, since that is where the train is most crowded.

Posted on: 2013/7/30 23:16

Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

Hide User information
Last Login :
2023/6/15 11:24
Group:
Registered Users
Are you referring to this pier with the sunken tennis courts? I took this picture a few days after Sandy. Image and video hosting by TinyPic

Posted on: 2013/7/30 20:20

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2016/7/18 3:56
Group:
Registered Users
They announced the shutdown-until-further-notice on Twitter a couple months ago, saying that they discovered the pier was structurally unsound and they were looking into when and how they could reopen it. Strange that they wouldn't update the website though.

Posted on: 2013/7/30 19:42

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
Group:
Registered Users
When I was able to get through to someone at New York Waterway that actually knew what was going on with that, I was told that it will be reopening sometime in August.

Apparently, the damage to that terminal from the storm was worse than they thought, coupled with its age and not being upgraded, so major repairs are being made. They expect to reopen sometime next month, although at one time there was talk of closing it down. But the person I spoke with at New York Waterway said there is sufficient demand to keep that terminal open and they want to reopen it.

I don't remember the names of people I spoke to - first I spoke with the management company at River Court apartments and they directed me to the person at New York Wayerway.

Posted on: 2013/7/30 19:25

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2020/4/26 22:05
Group:
Registered Users
The Newport ferry terminal is closed? When did this happen?? According to the NY Waterway site, it is still active:

Newport Ferry Terminal

Posted on: 2013/7/30 18:44

Newport Ferry Terminal
Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

Hide User information
Last Login :
2019/1/4 12:11
From Paulus Hook
Group:
Registered Users
Anybody know which agency/authority shut down the Newport ferry terminal, and what state it was in beforehand? Or what (if any) plans exist to replace/renovate it?

I actually don't have any skin in the game on this, actually.. I mostly use the path, and maybe the paulus hook one, once in a while. Just curious.

Posted on: 2013/7/30 18:10

[Advanced Search]

Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!

LicenseInformation | AboutUs | PrivacyPolicy | Faq | Contact

JERSEY CITY LIST - News & Reviews - Jersey City, NJ - Copyright 2004 - 2017