Register now !    Login  
Main Menu
Who's Online
100 user(s) are online (80 user(s) are browsing Message Forum)

Members: 0
Guests: 100

more...

Browsing this Thread:   1 Anonymous Users

Re: bonding
Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
3/21 23:34
Group:
Registered Users
To CatDog-Some renters do pay through taxes but many renters have tax abatements that are frozen. They pay no increases.

Posted on: 2013/9/12 17:31

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2023/6/11 23:48
From Western Slope
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

CatDog wrote:
Quote:

john1952 wrote:

As I said on the other posting, it passed. Do you own or rent?

Quote:

arcy wrote:
What was the result of this? Did the ordinance pass? I hope so. I fully support using bond money towards pedestrian safety and bicycle lanes
what's that got to do with anything? Renters are paying property taxes through their rent as well. Just because someone's not an owner doesn't mean they can't have a say in local government.

Probably not. My interpretation is that renters are not anchored into the community kind of like wandering gypsies or fly-by-nights they can pick up and leave at any time. Perhaps property tax payers should be the only ones permitted to vote then.

Posted on: 2013/9/12 17:26
Get on your bikes and ride !

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
1/7 4:19
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

john1952 wrote:

Quote:

arcy wrote:
What was the result of this? Did the ordinance pass? I hope so. I fully support using bond money towards pedestrian safety and bicycle lanes
what's that got to do with anything? Renters are paying property taxes through their rent as well. Just because someone's not an owner doesn't mean they can't have a say in local government.

Posted on: 2013/9/12 16:28

Re: Jersey City Council to vote on bond that provides for bicycling infrastructure improvements
Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

Hide User information
Last Login :
2014/8/23 19:32
From hamilton park
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

bodhipooh wrote:
Hmm. In NJ, it is NOT required by state law that bicyclists wear helmets, unless they are under the age of 17. Inform yourself before you spew nonsense.

State of NJ Bicycle Regulations

But, I am with you on the last two points: people shouldn't ride on the sidewalks, nor should they disregard traffic signals, or signs.

Quote:

OneSkirt wrote:
I'm all for making JC more bike friendly. But in conjunction with this, I want to see laws enforced on the many rogues cyclists who frequently:

- cut off cars
- ride without a helmet
- use crosswalks to ride/cross against the light to get across an intersection (this is the worst!)
- ride on sidewalks

I agree. You can always catch me barking at a bicyclist on a sidewalk, "Get off the sidewalk. Ride on the road." I do understand though why people with children seated on their bicycles use the sidewalks. But, I'm totally partial.

Posted on: 2013/9/12 16:19

Re: Jersey City Council to vote on bond that provides for bicycling infrastructure improvements
Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2020/4/26 22:05
Group:
Registered Users
Hmm. In NJ, it is NOT required by state law that bicyclists wear helmets, unless they are under the age of 17. Inform yourself before you spew nonsense.

State of NJ Bicycle Regulations

But, I am with you on the last two points: people shouldn't ride on the sidewalks, nor should they disregard traffic signals, or signs.

Quote:

OneSkirt wrote:
I'm all for making JC more bike friendly. But in conjunction with this, I want to see laws enforced on the many rogues cyclists who frequently:

- cut off cars
- ride without a helmet
- use crosswalks to ride/cross against the light to get across an intersection (this is the worst!)
- ride on sidewalks

Posted on: 2013/9/12 15:43

Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

Hide User information
Last Login :
2013/10/19 22:32
Group:
Banned

Quote:

arcy wrote:

Posted on: 2013/9/12 2:33

Quite a regular
Quite a regular

Hide User information
Last Login :
2014/5/20 2:05
Group:
Registered Users
Happy for this bump. And, I would like to know the outcome too, if anyone can share. I appreciate Grove's bike lane so much I plan my route around it. More, please.

Quote:

arcy wrote:

Posted on: 2013/9/12 1:11

Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

Hide User information
Last Login :
2014/8/23 19:32
From hamilton park
Group:
Registered Users

Posted on: 2013/9/12 0:37

bonding
Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

Hide User information
Last Login :
2013/10/19 22:32
Group:
Banned
This article and the writer misrepresents the bonding and its purpose. They are re-appropriating $1 million in unspent bond monies not needed for its original purpose instead of paying down the bonds.

Jersey City is up to it eye balls in debt and this money should be returned to pay it down and not treated like free money. Paying down debt will provide tax relief for us suckers not in tax abated buildings.

Do traffic stripping and bike lanes cost a $1 million? No way no how. You are being snowed again.

The bond money is a back door way to pay for Councilwoman Osborne's speed bumps instead of paying back the debt. It says so in the ordinance.

Its all here - http://cityofjerseycity.com/uploadedF ... Reading/Agenda%20Document(13).pdf

This is a fact and an ordinance on the agenda.

Posted on: 2013/9/11 13:44

Edited by john1952 on 2013/9/11 14:00:13

Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

Hide User information
Last Login :
2018/5/28 4:29
Group:
Registered Users
CdeCoincy: I distinctly remember the first time I saw a "sharrow" - it was on Bay St in Staten Island, probably 2009 or 2010. At that moment I did not know the name of the symbol, but I immediately recognized what it meant. I learned the name not long after that - possibly on the NYC bike map, or Transportation Alternatives website/publication.

Bicycle Flame War Participants: Yes, there will always be a certain number of complete jackasses out there... some of them will be riding bikes. The idea behind bike lanes and sharrows is to foster safety and awareness on the streets. This is attractive to people who will be responsible cyclists. Jackasses don't give a f*** about sharrows - as one of you observed. More bike lanes and sharrows won't bring out more jackass cyclists.

Posted on: 2013/9/6 5:58

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
From Western Slope
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

OneSkirt wrote:

- cut off cars
- ride without a helmet
- ride on sidewalks

Kinda like love & marriage "you can't have one without the other" What happens where these rouge cyclists don't have ID ?? It's insanity out there. Just this morning the guy that rides his bike to work at the gas station on Tonnelle & North likes making a left turn onto North St. on the left hand side of the road so he is literally turning into the oncoming lane which cars are not expecting when they make their turn. The biker has a front blinking light but putting himself in that position is asking for trouble. I'll mention something to him hope he realizes the importance of making left turns on a bicycle it can be dangerous.

Posted on: 2013/9/5 15:27

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2018/6/12 15:20
From Downtown Ex Pat happy in McGinley Sq.
Group:
Registered Users

- cut off cars
- ride without a helmet
- ride on sidewalks

Posted on: 2013/9/5 15:02

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2014/12/21 14:01
Group:
Banned
Quote:

Sully wrote:
A sharrow is a "share the road" marking painted on streets popular with cyclists that are too narrow for a regular bike lane:
Resized Image

Thanks Sully - I am enough of a nerd to get excited about a word that is not in the OED. Can you remember what year you first heard it used or saw it in writing?

Posted on: 2013/9/4 13:20

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
From Western Slope
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

nemobeatz wrote:
I go out of my way to use the lane since it's pretty much the safest place to bike in JC. It's a shame that people are always double parked, forcing you to bike out into the street anyway.

Well if you get clipped while moving out of the bike lane make sure you include any doubled parked vehicle in the accident report for liability insurance purposes.

Posted on: 2013/9/4 11:53

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2018/8/14 15:19
From Lafayette
Group:
Registered Users
I go out of my way to use the lane since it's pretty much the safest place to bike in JC. It's a shame that people are always double parked, forcing you to bike out into the street anyway.

Posted on: 2013/9/4 11:25

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
From Western Slope
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

FGJCNJ1970 wrote:
Does anybody know the cost for all of this? Anyone?

Seriously on the new bike lanes on Grove St. that they put in this past spring, I always see double parked cars using them, but I never see bike riders using them. More often than not, bicyclists are still on the sidewalks, or just in the middle of the road.

Any plans for enforcement of the lanes and possible fines for bicyclists?
When I am in that area of Downtown I always try to use the bike lane. I also see bikers using the lane just wondering how often you monitor that sole lane to justify your observation. As far as blocking the lane call it in to the police department at least there will be a file on it. You can't change the bad habits of idiots especially when the pattern is going against the grain by not using the lane. Usually I can tell the type that use bike lanes and those that don't. We can't even get drivers to stop using cell phones while driving their cars.

Posted on: 2013/9/4 11:04

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2015/7/15 3:35
From Jersey City, NJ
Group:
Registered Users
Does anybody know the cost for all of this? Anyone?

Seriously on the new bike lanes on Grove St. that they put in this past spring, I always see double parked cars using them, but I never see bike riders using them. More often than not, bicyclists are still on the sidewalks, or just in the middle of the road.

Any plans for enforcement of the lanes and possible fines for bicyclists?

Posted on: 2013/9/4 10:50

Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

Hide User information
Last Login :
2018/5/28 4:29
Group:
Registered Users
A sharrow is a "share the road" marking painted on streets popular with cyclists that are too narrow for a regular bike lane:
Resized Image

Posted on: 2013/9/4 4:51

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2014/12/21 14:01
Group:
Banned

Posted on: 2013/9/3 20:16

Jersey City Council to vote on bond that provides for bicycling infrastructure improvements
Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2019/12/26 15:30
From GV Bayside Park
Group:
Registered Users
Denise Copeland/Betty the Bike

More good news for Jersey City cyclists: the Municipal Council will be voting on the final passage and adoption of a capital improvement bond ordinance that includes (among several other street and traffic improvements) "the implementation of a bicycle infrastructure plan comprised of the installation of striped bike lanes and sharrows throughout the City, including markings and signage installation and acquisition of various equipment, including but not limited to, bicycle racks and related equipment."

The original ordinance was introduced and passed last Wednesday, August 28.

This discussion and vote will be at the next meeting of the Jersey City Municipal Council, 6:00 pm at City Hall, 280 Grove Street, on Wednesday, September 11.

Posted on: 2013/9/3 19:08

[Advanced Search]

Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!

LicenseInformation | AboutUs | PrivacyPolicy | Faq | Contact

JERSEY CITY LIST - News & Reviews - Jersey City, NJ - Copyright 2004 - 2017