Register now !    Login  
Main Menu
Who's Online
159 user(s) are online (139 user(s) are browsing Message Forum)

Members: 0
Guests: 159

more...

Browsing this Thread:   1 Anonymous Users

Re: An Ode to Jersey City
Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2015/6/25 17:42
Group:
Registered Users
I moved out of JC from 2003-2010 and I never thought that some day people would talk about doing yoga and running 5Ks and drinking martinis here. Glad you've had a good experience.
But one question:

Quote:

happy hour martinis at LITM (without realizing for years exactly what kind of bar it was!)

Tell me more...I know it's also a gallery and restaurant but this seems to suggest something more intriguing!

Posted on: 2013/9/2 14:32

An Ode to Jersey City
Not too shy to talk
Not too shy to talk

Hide User information
Last Login :
2014/4/7 13:38
Group:
Registered Users
My wife wrote the following and I figured I'd share with everyone here, as I've been a forum member for several years and know I've enjoyed when people have genuinely nice words to say about JC.

Unfortunately, we had to move away as a job opportunity is taking us to a different part of the state.

Enjoy and thank you to everyone on the forums for all the insights/laughs/advice over the years!

"In April 2008, on the eve of college graduation, my husband and I got jobs in Newark and NYC and needed to decide where to live. I remembered how I took the PATH from Newark to the city for my internship the year before, and that it passed through somewhere called Jersey City. The map confirmed it-- JC was the perfect in between location! I think I gave my mom a heart attack when I told her this is where I'd be living (or dying, as she saw it!). Fast forward to now, and it's crazy that such flukey reasoning ended up as the catalyst for where I'd spend all of my adult life to date. For nearly five and a half years I've called Jersey City my home. I've done yoga on and run along the waterfront pier, biked and ran 5K races in Liberty State Park, visited Liberty Science Center, and eaten Taqueria more times than I'd care to admit. I've been there for the grand opening of Zeppelin Hall, Trattoria Abbondanza, and Ole Mexicana. I weathered Sandy there, the most horrific and incredible natural disaster I've ever experienced firsthand, and watched our city struggle and eventually persevere through, the businesses that closed slowly reopen. I've had the burger at Lighthorse Tavern, tropical drinks at Surf City on hot summer nights, happy hour martinis at LITM (without realizing for years exactly what kind of bar it was!) and sad, old man drinks at Astor Bar, all with great friends. I lived half a block away from where Officer Mark Dinardo was fatally shot and still remember the insanity and chaos of that morning, as well as the solemnity of his funeral procession and the hundreds of citizens that lined up on Bergen Avenue to pay their respects after. I voted for Mayor Steve Fulop and am proud to say I was still a JC resident when he took office and began to inspire positive change. We got our marriage license from City Hall and watched the July 4th fireworks over the Hudson from our apartment. I literally learned to run on the Lincoln Park track, was a gym member at St. Peter's University (which was only a college back then!), and I've cursed the PATH on a daily basis along with every other JC resident. I've slowly managed to convince family and friends (and amazingly, my mom!) that Jersey City is not Camden or North Philly and is, in fact, a great place to live, evidenced by the fact that when my husband and I moved here in 2008 we were the first of anyone we knew to do so, and now I have more friends living in JC than I can count! I could truly go on and on (and I know I already have), but I guess the bottom line is that JC, I'm really gonna miss you. I had no idea how much I'd fall in love with this city when I moved here nearly accidentally five and a half years ago."

Posted on: 2013/9/1 14:19

[Advanced Search]

Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!

LicenseInformation | AboutUs | PrivacyPolicy | Faq | Contact

JERSEY CITY LIST - News & Reviews - Jersey City, NJ - Copyright 2004 - 2017