Register now !    Login  
Main Menu
Who's Online
110 user(s) are online (92 user(s) are browsing Message Forum)

Members: 0
Guests: 110

more...

Browsing this Thread:   1 Anonymous Users

(1) 2 3 4 ... 6 »

Re: NYTimes article "Moving deeper into Brooklyn for lower home prices" -- getting lots of JC comments
Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2019/12/26 15:30
From GV Bayside Park
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

Prismatic wrote:
Quote:

user1111 wrote:
[quote]Brooklyn, every neighbor hood has some type of train, shopping area, etc. JC does not.

Well thats wrong as pretty much every section of the city has a shopping area( Central ave, Westside ave, MLK, etc). Now if you were to say that JC's neighborhood shopping centers, when compared to Brooklyn, are lackluster then I would have to agree.

Sorry I do not consider any of these areas including downtown a legit shopping area.

Posted on: 2013/8/28 19:32

Re: NYTimes article "Moving deeper into Brooklyn for lower home prices" -- getting lots of JC comments
Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2018/7/19 15:21
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

Prismatic wrote:
Quote:

user1111 wrote:
[quote]Brooklyn, every neighbor hood has some type of train, shopping area, etc. JC does not.

Well thats wrong as pretty much every section of the city has a shopping area( Central ave, Westside ave, MLK, etc). Now if you were to say that JC's neighborhood shopping centers, when compared to Brooklyn, are lackluster then I would have to agree.

Come on! Who doesn't like 99? Dreams?

Posted on: 2013/8/28 19:22

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2015/3/10 21:37
From The Heights.
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

user1111 wrote:

Posted on: 2013/8/28 19:12

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2016/9/8 19:37
From Soho West
Group:
Registered Users
I don't think a trench will fit...though we sort of have a "half trench" with Newport Parkway.

I'd take some simple pedestrian bridges. Not only would it be a boon to both cities in terms of development, but also the residents of both constantly crossing anyway in the current situation. HP residents go to A&P, Buy Rite, Home Depot, Target, and people north and from Hoboken to the mall.

Even if it was just one bridge by Manila or Marin, that would absorb most of the pedestrian traffic.

Posted on: 2013/8/28 19:08

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
From Soho West
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

user1111 wrote:
Quote:

RUinHamiltonPark wrote:
Um JC was rated one of the most walkable cities in the country. How is it not walkable?

I can walk to two PATH stations, four supermarkets, Target, the mall, restaurants and bars in Hoboken and JC...

And it's interesting. Sometimes too interesting because of the tunnel, but nonetheless "interesting."

Try walking outside of your bubble, walking anywhere outside of downtown is BS. This is why so many of us have a car outside of the dtjc area. Brooklyn, every neighbor hood has some type of train, shopping area, etc. JC does not. I am fortunate to live next to a light rail and close enough to Bayonne to shop but many residents are not.

Why would I just go to random neighborhoods and walk around?

But also you are not correct. Plenty of BK is not accessible by train, and not everywhere has a shopping area unless you're talking fast food and bodegas which the rest of the city has plenty of. There are no big box stores or fancy groceries in Sunset Park, Boro Park, etc. And in fact, some of Queens and all of Staten Island are totally cut off from the subway.

Also, which areas of JC are not served by the light rail or PATH? And secondly, there is plenty of big box and other shopping in the rest of the city. There is all of 440.

And people from the rest of the city clearly don't have many issues coming to the mall or Shop Rite because I see them there all the time.

Posted on: 2013/8/28 19:05

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2017/4/20 19:08
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

user1111 wrote:
Good News from Zillow, GV & BL prices are finally rising.
Zillow predicts New York Metro home values will rise 0.3% next year.

Brooklyn real estate boom: Home prices so hot buyers returning to Manhattan

Here is the break down.

Jersey City
M-o-M 3.5?%
Q-o-Q 7.8?%
Y-o-Y 11.5?%
$?289,900

Bergen-Lafayette
9.4?%
6.1?%
0.0?%
$?175,000

Downtown
-5.3?%
-7.2?%
1.1?%
$?450,000

Greenville
0.0?%
0.0?%
8.8?%
$?199,000

Hackensack Riverfront
-4.5?%
-8.6?%
10.3?%
$?319,900

Journal Square
-2.9?%
-5.6?%
4.9?%
$?235,000

Liberty Park
15.0?%
12.4?%
-18.4?%
$?399,000

Lincoln Park
?
?
?
?

McGinley Square
-0.4?%
4.2?%
12.6?%
$?224,000

The Heights
1.1?%
1.1?%
11.6?%
$?278,000

The Waterfront
6.2?%
5.3?%
6.4?%
$?595,000

West Side
-5.1?%
-2.1?%
2.8?%
$?185,000

rofl! no data for m-o-m or q-o-q but y-o-y is >8% for greenville..yeah right. only thing increasing in those areas are homicides...

Posted on: 2013/8/28 18:04

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
From GV Bayside Park
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

RUinHamiltonPark wrote:
Um JC was rated one of the most walkable cities in the country. How is it not walkable?

I can walk to two PATH stations, four supermarkets, Target, the mall, restaurants and bars in Hoboken and JC...

And it's interesting. Sometimes too interesting because of the tunnel, but nonetheless "interesting."

Try walking outside of your bubble, walking anywhere outside of downtown is BS. This is why so many of us have a car outside of the dtjc area. Brooklyn, every neighbor hood has some type of train, shopping area, etc. JC does not. I am fortunate to live next to a light rail and close enough to Bayonne to shop but many residents are not.

Posted on: 2013/8/28 16:58

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2020/9/30 18:46
From Van Vorst Park
Group:
Registered Users
I agree that the trench over the tunnel approach would be a great move. Of course like everything else it would be way too expensive and therefore will probably not happen.

The trench area could probably even be built on top of/over, and pedestrian and vehicle bridges could cross the span as well, integrating the area north of the tunnel (which is slated for development) with the rest of DTJC. My idea a while back was to cover a large part of the tunnel approach with a large, wide "bridge" that would be a grassy park, pedestrians only.

Posted on: 2013/8/28 15:46

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2023/8/15 18:42
Group:
Registered Users
Resized Image

What would be really nice for Downtown Jersey City & for Hoboken is what Brooklyn got -- a "Mile Trench" going into and out of the Holland.

Posted on: 2013/8/28 15:36

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
From Soho West
Group:
Registered Users

Posted on: 2013/8/28 15:13

Quite a regular
Quite a regular

Hide User information
Last Login :
2014/8/12 14:04
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

RUinHamiltonPark wrote:
Property taxes in JC are high, they are much higher than Hoboken.

You can find places in Hoboken around 300k taxed in the 3-4k range, not so in JC (and if so in for a nasty surprise in the recent assessment).

I'm in the process of purchasing in JC, and looked in Hoboken as well. In some cases the property tax difference made Hoboken practically the same price.

The schools and services in both are equally questionable.

However, both pale in comparison to say, Union City, where taxes in that range are often 9k.

The issue IMO is that property taxes in towns with good, well regarded schools are similar. I'm a single individual, but at least for resale value, in those places you can argue a value that you cannot in JC. The value in JC comes from location, and it's very silly to argue that we should have higher taxes for access to the PATH with is a bi-state agecy, or being by the river...we pay high taxes because we overpay for corrupt public services..

In any case, in NJ you don't have NYC income tax, less, in some cases, much lower sales tax, the PATH costs less...NJ is cheaper still.

And property values are still about 30% less than Brooklyn, which makes up for the tax difference. The people on this board need to stop complaining and do something sometimes or if they hate JC just go to the much loved and far from the city neighborhoods of Brooklyn they so much wish JC was. JC is what it is...for all of us it is home.

Posted on: 2013/8/28 14:58

Quite a regular
Quite a regular

Hide User information
Last Login :
2014/8/12 14:04
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

maybeMoving wrote:
Quote:

asny10011 wrote:
Sometimes walking around Grove and the littered PATH station makes me feel it is a third world country....

Jesus Christ. What is it with people on this board and the PATH stations. I'm curious how many people have actually lived in NYC that complain to no end about the supposed crowding and how dirty the PATH is. Do we take the same trains??? The PATH is at least as clean as the NYC subway and not as crowded. I commute in every morning at peak rush hour between 8:00 and 8:30 and it's not nearly as bad as even underutilized MTA lines which I took for years before moving to JC.

Maybe I'm wrong but I feel like there's a lot of people in JC that begrudgingly moved from the suburbs to be closer to their jobs in the city. That's the only reason I can come up with for all the complaining. Seems like people who just don't like cities in general or have never lived in one.

JC and the PATH aren't without their problems but c'mon.

Agreed, most people who move from NYC say how less crowded the train and platforms are and how much cleaner they are.

Posted on: 2013/8/28 14:54

Quite a regular
Quite a regular

Hide User information
Last Login :
2014/5/20 2:05
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

user1111 wrote:

The thing about BK and NYC is that its very walkable. I walked from Williamsburg to Cypress Hill a few weeks ago and it was a nice interesting walk. When I walk from GV to DTJC is not very enjoyable nor is it interesting.

This is a great point, and one that I hope is paid attention to as the new administration feeds redevelopment of neighborhoods outside of Downtown.

Posted on: 2013/8/28 1:38

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
From GV Bayside Park
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

hero69 wrote:
Brooklyn is getting ridiculous. I have a friend who bought a condo and for the price paid I though he'd be living right next to a subway station. Instead, he's like a mile away...and for the money he paid, I could buy a REALLY NICE condo in JC or a coop in Manhattan.

Some people get caught up in the frenzy!

The thing about BK and NYC is that its very walkable. I walked from Williamsburg to Cypress Hill a few weeks ago and it was a nice interesting walk. When I walk from GV to DTJC is not very enjoyable nor is it interesting.

Posted on: 2013/8/27 21:00

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2023/1/30 21:43
Group:
Registered Users
Brooklyn is getting ridiculous. I have a friend who bought a condo and for the price paid I though he'd be living right next to a subway station. Instead, he's like a mile away...and for the money he paid, I could buy a REALLY NICE condo in JC or a coop in Manhattan.

Some people get caught up in the frenzy!

Posted on: 2013/8/27 20:50

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2020/12/23 21:08
Group:
Registered Users
I'd rather have 1st world problems than 3rd world ones...

Quote:

VA2015 wrote:
Quote:

asny10011 wrote:
Sometimes walking around Grove and the littered PATH station makes me feel it is a third world country....

Oh the irony that this reads exactly like a #firstworldproblem!

Posted on: 2013/8/27 20:43

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
From GV Bayside Park
Group:
Registered Users
Good News from Zillow, GV & BL prices are finally rising.
Zillow predicts New York Metro home values will rise 0.3% next year.

Brooklyn real estate boom: Home prices so hot buyers returning to Manhattan

Here is the break down.

Jersey City
M-o-M 3.5?%
Q-o-Q 7.8?%
Y-o-Y 11.5?%
$?289,900

Bergen-Lafayette
9.4?%
6.1?%
0.0?%
$?175,000

Downtown
-5.3?%
-7.2?%
1.1?%
$?450,000

Greenville
0.0?%
0.0?%
8.8?%
$?199,000

Hackensack Riverfront
-4.5?%
-8.6?%
10.3?%
$?319,900

Journal Square
-2.9?%
-5.6?%
4.9?%
$?235,000

Liberty Park
15.0?%
12.4?%
-18.4?%
$?399,000

Lincoln Park
?
?
?
?

McGinley Square
-0.4?%
4.2?%
12.6?%
$?224,000

The Heights
1.1?%
1.1?%
11.6?%
$?278,000

The Waterfront
6.2?%
5.3?%
6.4?%
$?595,000

West Side
-5.1?%
-2.1?%
2.8?%
$?185,000

Posted on: 2013/8/27 19:51

Edited by user1111 on 2013/8/27 20:08:34

Quite a regular
Quite a regular

Hide User information
Last Login :
2013/6/11 5:14
Group:
Registered Users
The main problem with Jersey City is not the tax rate per se, but the comparatively low return on the dollar. The equation you consider as a taxpayer and consumer of government services is what you get back for what you pay.

In Jersey City, it's hard to make the argument that City Hall is well-managed. I don't expect every pothole to be instantly filled. But I do expect a management plan that repaves the streets on a regular cycle.

I don't expect city workers to work for minimum wage. But I do expect benefits that are more in line with the private sector, and an end to the padded pensions and sick day payouts.

I don't expect my elected officials to turn down bribes in exchange for providing government favors - oh wait, I do expect integrity in government.

If we get an administration which brings more professionalism and integrity and simple performance to city government, we might get a sense of the hidden tax that shoddy government imposes.

Posted on: 2013/3/20 4:24

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2015/6/25 17:42
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

asny10011 wrote:

Oh the irony that this reads exactly like a #firstworldproblem!

Posted on: 2013/3/19 18:57

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
From Soho West
Group:
Registered Users
Property taxes in JC are high, they are much higher than Hoboken.

You can find places in Hoboken around 300k taxed in the 3-4k range, not so in JC (and if so in for a nasty surprise in the recent assessment).

I'm in the process of purchasing in JC, and looked in Hoboken as well. In some cases the property tax difference made Hoboken practically the same price.

The schools and services in both are equally questionable.

However, both pale in comparison to say, Union City, where taxes in that range are often 9k.

The issue IMO is that property taxes in towns with good, well regarded schools are similar. I'm a single individual, but at least for resale value, in those places you can argue a value that you cannot in JC. The value in JC comes from location, and it's very silly to argue that we should have higher taxes for access to the PATH with is a bi-state agecy, or being by the river...we pay high taxes because we overpay for corrupt public services..

In any case, in NJ you don't have NYC income tax, less, in some cases, much lower sales tax, the PATH costs less...NJ is cheaper still.

Posted on: 2013/3/19 18:13

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
From GV Bayside Park
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

FKSJC wrote:
Quote:

tommyc_37 wrote:
Quote:

FKSJC wrote:
Quote:

ianmac47 wrote:
Quote:

FKSJC wrote:
Quote:

RUinHamiltonPark wrote:
Which NJ cities aside from Hoboken (which we have easy access to) have more nightlife? Morristown, New Brunswick, Atlantic City...that's about it.

And outside of Manhattan in the boroughs? Perhaps Astoria and Williamsburg. You think Bed-Stuy or Bushwick or Crown Heights have nightlife?

Do any of these places (aside from Hoboken which might) pay anywhere near as much property tax/rent as DTJC? I think not! It doesn't seem unreasonable to expect we would have more options (restaurants and/or nightlife) considering this.

.....If you don't want to pay high taxes, move to some shit hole without government services and save us all the trouble.

Funny thing is- pay the taxes and already without the govenment services!! (unfortunately) That's how it works in JC. Believe me- eager to go!

FKSJC, can you explain this comment? It's confusing.

I sure hope the last post was facetious! Rather simple as I (and apparently others) see it. Life in DTJC- pay BIG taxes, nothing or little in return. Is that less confusing?

Not too hard to understand at all, GV has 53k residents and 60% are home owners so where the fuk is all the tax $$$$ going? most def not going to a better quality of life.

Posted on: 2013/3/19 18:10

Quite a regular
Quite a regular

Hide User information
Last Login :
2016/1/5 17:35
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

tommyc_37 wrote:
Quote:

FKSJC wrote:
Quote:

ianmac47 wrote:
Quote:

FKSJC wrote:
Quote:

RUinHamiltonPark wrote:
Which NJ cities aside from Hoboken (which we have easy access to) have more nightlife? Morristown, New Brunswick, Atlantic City...that's about it.

And outside of Manhattan in the boroughs? Perhaps Astoria and Williamsburg. You think Bed-Stuy or Bushwick or Crown Heights have nightlife?

Do any of these places (aside from Hoboken which might) pay anywhere near as much property tax/rent as DTJC? I think not! It doesn't seem unreasonable to expect we would have more options (restaurants and/or nightlife) considering this.

.....If you don't want to pay high taxes, move to some shit hole without government services and save us all the trouble.

Funny thing is- pay the taxes and already without the govenment services!! (unfortunately) That's how it works in JC. Believe me- eager to go!

I sure hope the last post was facetious! Rather simple as I (and apparently others) see it. Life in DTJC- pay BIG taxes, nothing or little in return. Is that less confusing?

Posted on: 2013/3/19 17:47

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2020/5/9 11:15
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

maybeMoving wrote:
Quote:

asny10011 wrote:

Jesus Christ. What is it with people on this board and the PATH stations. I'm curious how many people have actually lived in NYC that complain to no end about the supposed crowding and how dirty the PATH is. Do we take the same trains??? The PATH is at least as clean as the NYC subway and not as crowded. I commute in every morning at peak rush hour between 8:00 and 8:30 and it's not nearly as bad as even underutilized MTA lines which I took for years before moving to JC.

Maybe I'm wrong but I feel like there's a lot of people in JC that begrudgingly moved from the suburbs to be closer to their jobs in the city. That's the only reason I can come up with for all the complaining. Seems like people who just don't like cities in general or have never lived in one.

JCList is a Whine Bar, no issue is too small for the list members to whine about it.

Posted on: 2013/3/19 17:13

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2015/6/24 20:34
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

asny10011 wrote:

Posted on: 2013/3/19 16:56

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2018/10/5 14:16
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

asny10011 wrote:

That's a common phenomenon throughout the country. Compared to major cities in other first world nations, our cities are shitholes. We don't know enough about the alternative, we don't care enough, and we certainly aren't willing to pay enough.

Posted on: 2013/3/19 15:54

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2020/9/30 18:46
From Van Vorst Park
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

FKSJC wrote:
Quote:

ianmac47 wrote:
Quote:

FKSJC wrote:
Quote:

RUinHamiltonPark wrote:

Posted on: 2013/3/19 15:25

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2018/1/6 18:15
Group:
Banned
LOL for all the excellent government services in JC...

Posted on: 2013/3/19 15:24

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2020/12/23 21:08
Group:
Registered Users

Quote "There is only a nominal disparity in taxes between NY/NJ, the only real difference is that they costs are structured differently. If property taxes are slightly lower in NY, business and payroll taxes are higher; fees for one service may by higher in one state and lower in another; utility taxes are may be higher in one and less in the other. Stop whining about your taxes. Both states are high tax states, and that's why neither are backward second world civilizations like Kentucky and Florida. If you don't want to pay high taxes, move to some shit hole without government services and save us all the trouble."

Posted on: 2013/3/19 15:02

Quite a regular
Quite a regular

Hide User information
Last Login :
2016/1/5 17:35
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

ianmac47 wrote:
Quote:

FKSJC wrote:
Quote:

RUinHamiltonPark wrote:

Posted on: 2013/3/19 14:47

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2022/6/15 16:59
From Mars
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

FKSJC wrote:
Quote:

RUinHamiltonPark wrote:

There is only a nominal disparity in taxes between NY/NJ, the only real difference is that they costs are structured differently. If property taxes are slightly lower in NY, business and payroll taxes are higher; fees for one service may by higher in one state and lower in another; utility taxes are may be higher in one and less in the other. Stop whining about your taxes. Both states are high tax states, and that's why neither are backward second world civilizations like Kentucky and Florida. If you don't want to pay high taxes, move to some shit hole without government services and save us all the trouble.

Posted on: 2013/3/19 14:14

(1) 2 3 4 ... 6 »

[Advanced Search]

Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!

LicenseInformation | AboutUs | PrivacyPolicy | Faq | Contact

JERSEY CITY LIST - News & Reviews - Jersey City, NJ - Copyright 2004 - 2017