Register now !    Login  
Main Menu
Who's Online
115 user(s) are online (109 user(s) are browsing Message Forum)

Members: 0
Guests: 115

more...

Browsing this Thread:   1 Anonymous Users

Re: Does Buildings delay out of town contractors more than local? 11 months - no permit.
Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2016/1/31 23:18
Group:
Registered Users
In the past there has been an entire system of corruption and pay off's in that department. Remember the FBI takedown? I know first hand they have the balls to expect they don't need to do their job until money passes hands. I'm guessing they prioritize based on their fat envelopes and favors.

Even after one of the FBI takedowns they were still lining their pockets! All here say of course, wink, wink. I think delays are way of building frustration so you'll realize that there "must be another way" and you give in to the passing of $$. I have a fantasy if I win a billion dollars I'd be willing to hire someone and make their full time job investigating and suing the Permit offices/Buildings Department and exposing them to every media outlet, I'd have a PR person whose only job would be to send out news releases on their corruption and dysfunction. But then again, the talons run far and deep in New Jersey, I'd need several billion....Ah neurotic fantasies!

Posted on: 2013/8/30 20:16

Re: Does Buildings delay out of town contractors more than local? 11 months - no permit.
Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2023/7/17 17:42
From Hamilton Park
Group:
Banned
Quote:

BergenWood wrote:
The latest: the electrical inspector is now saying - after the latest inspection - that we are responsible to pull permits for work that was done prior to our owning the house. We know this is not the case, but I really can't believe that this has gotten even more out of hand.

How do we expect people to buy and improve homes here if all we get as responsible homeowners are hassles for trying to improve our homes?

My hearsay understanding is that they can require work to be brought up to code, but can't require retroactive permits for work that is up to code. I have no idea about things for which the code has changed since the work was done.

Sadly, it's time for a lawyer who specializes in this field. DO NOT use someone who isn't personally familiar with the folks at 30 Montgomery. Most lawyers really have no clue about this stuff.

My situation looks like it's resolving, they dropped the nonsense and approved the permit. Now lets hope they don't make a scene out the inspection.

Posted on: 2013/8/30 19:09

Quite a regular
Quite a regular

Hide User information
Last Login :
2019/5/16 13:02
Group:
Registered Users
The latest: the electrical inspector is now saying - after the latest inspection - that we are responsible to pull permits for work that was done prior to our owning the house. We know this is not the case, but I really can't believe that this has gotten even more out of hand.

How do we expect people to buy and improve homes here if all we get as responsible homeowners are hassles for trying to improve our homes?

Posted on: 2013/8/30 19:00

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2015/2/5 16:38
Group:
Banned
This sounds like a situation that would cause more people to just go ahead and do the work without a permit. What are they thinking?

Posted on: 2013/8/26 20:30

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
4/15 15:15
Group:
Registered Users
Wear a camera during the next walk-thru. It might come in handy if you have to take legal action to get your place passed.

Posted on: 2013/8/26 19:35

Quite a regular
Quite a regular

Hide User information
Last Login :
2019/5/16 13:02
Group:
Registered Users
Having a similar issue - hired an out of town (Bayonne) electrician, and the inspectors won't pass the work. The electricians have been back 3 times, corrected everything the inspector said (x3), then a new inspector was sent today re-inspecting everything, and says it's still not OK. Had an issue finding an electrician (that would pull permits) in the first place - a few said they wouldn't work in Jersey City because of the buildings department. Now I know why.

It is nearly impossible to get work done in JC. We are trying to do the right thing by pulling permits and are getting the run-around.

Posted on: 2013/8/26 19:09

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
Group:
Registered Users
Brewster:

A fellow landlord had a similar issue with the JCBD: The inspector wouldn't pass an electrical inspection, even though everything was in order (he used an 'outside' contractor). The problem was solved by calmly talking to a director in the JCBD stating, "I don't want to file a complaint with the State, but at this point I have too."

A different inspector was dispatched at the job was passed.

It might be worth it for you to take a trip down to 30 Montgomery and talk to someone.

Posted on: 2013/8/8 12:28

Hide User information
Last Login :
2013/8/23 15:47
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

brewster wrote:
Quote:

fat-ass-bike wrote:
Letter to your local councillor to check out your concern - Ask for a written response to your written request.

Yeah, I thought of that, but it might piss them off and really have them up my pipe on one of their classic fishing expeditions. Do you know they sometimes leave permit paperwork unsigned just so they have a passport to get in for a lookyloo?

The property is in C and I'm in E, wonder who would be better? Candice has Steve's ear but Boggiano might have some teeth given his PD and neighborhood assoc experience.

Hi Brewster, I told my father about your situation so if you want, email him (RBoggiano@jcnj.org) a description of what's going on as well as whatever information he may need and he will see what he can do to help you out with it.

Posted on: 2013/8/8 12:17

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
From Hamilton Park
Group:
Banned
Quote:

fat-ass-bike wrote:
Letter to your local councillor to check out your concern - Ask for a written response to your written request.

Yeah, I thought of that, but it might piss them off and really have them up my pipe on one of their classic fishing expeditions. Do you know they sometimes leave permit paperwork unsigned just so they have a passport to get in for a lookyloo?

The property is in C and I'm in E, wonder who would be better? Candice has Steve's ear but Boggiano might have some teeth given his PD and neighborhood assoc experience.

Posted on: 2013/8/8 3:27

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2022/2/28 7:31
From 280 Grove Street
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

brewster wrote:
I have a plumber who is still waiting for a permit 11 months after replacing a boiler. WTF? We're not talking about a failed inspection, just a runaround. My only guess is that since he's from out of town, the 'good ole boys' in Buildings are giving him discouragement so more work goes to their local buddies. Does anyone have any insight into this, any advice as to how to get this done? We're not talking about a renovation or building an extension, just a freakin boiler replacement!

Posted on: 2013/8/7 23:53
My humor is for the silent blue collar majority - If my posts offend, slander or you deem inappropriate and seek deletion, contact the webmaster for jurisdiction.

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
Group:
Registered Users
The Building Dept. pulled that crap with me years back. They answer to the State and are required to process permits within 21 days.

File a complaint with DCA.

Edit: They have been under the microscope so much that this maybe more of a case of incompetence than conspiracy. They managed to lose the plans for my plan review twice.

Posted on: 2013/8/7 20:23

Does Buildings delay out of town contractors more than local? 11 months - no permit.
Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
From Hamilton Park
Group:
Banned
I have a plumber who is still waiting for a permit 11 months after replacing a boiler. WTF? We're not talking about a failed inspection, just a runaround. My only guess is that since he's from out of town, the 'good ole boys' in Buildings are giving him discouragement so more work goes to their local buddies. Does anyone have any insight into this, any advice as to how to get this done? We're not talking about a renovation or building an extension, just a freakin boiler replacement!

Posted on: 2013/8/7 19:17

[Advanced Search]

Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!

LicenseInformation | AboutUs | PrivacyPolicy | Faq | Contact

JERSEY CITY LIST - News & Reviews - Jersey City, NJ - Copyright 2004 - 2017