Register now !    Login  
Main Menu
Who's Online
91 user(s) are online (77 user(s) are browsing Message Forum)

Members: 0
Guests: 91

more...

Browsing this Thread:   1 Anonymous Users

Re: Noisy City
Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2019/12/26 15:30
From GV Bayside Park
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

HelenaJC wrote:
Having just moved to McGinley Square, I find it totally perplexing that stores on Bergen are allowed to blast music all day on the street with external speakers. I pass two of these on the way to the JS Path--I think one is a dollar store and the other sells phones.

Is it legal to have store speakers on the street like this? It certainly doesn't help the mood of those blocks.

Take a look at JC laws...
The making and creation of loud, unnecessary or unusual noises within the City of Jersey City is a condition which has existed for some time and the extent and volume of such noises is increasing.
B.
The making, creating or maintenance of loud, unnecessary, unnatural or unusual noises which are prolonged, unusual and unnatural in their time, place and use affect and are a detriment to public health, comfort, convenience, safety, welfare and prosperity of the residents of the city.
C.
The necessity in the public interest for the provisions and prohibitions hereinafter enacted is declared as a matter of legislative determination and public policy, and it is further declared that the provisions and prohibitions hereinafter enacted are in pursuance of and for the purpose of securing and promoting the public health, comfort, convenience, safety, welfare and prosperity and the peace and quiet of the city and its inhabitants.
? 222-2. General standards.permanent link to this piece of content

A.
No person shall make, continue or cause to be made or continued any loud, unnecessary or unusual noise or any noise which either annoys, disturbs, injures or endangers the comfort, repose, health, peace or safety of others.
B.
No person on property owned by him or her or under lease or other arrangements shall allow or give permission to any person on the property to utter or make loud, unnecessary or unusual noises or any noise which either annoys, disturbs, injures or endangers the comfort, repose, health, peace or safety of others.
? 222-3. Specific standards. [Amended 9-22-1981 by Ord. No. MC-29; 6-9-1988 by Ord. No. C-750]permanent link to this piece of content

A.
The following acts and noises are declared to be loud, disturbing and unnecessary noises in violation of this Article, but this enumeration shall be deemed to be illustrative only and not an exclusive enumeration of such noises:
(1)
Horns and signaling devices.
(a)
The sounding of any horn or signaling device on any automobile, motorcycle, public conveyance or other vehicle on any street or public place of the city, except as a danger warning.
(b)
The creation by means of any such signaling device of any unreasonably loud or harsh sound.
(c)
The sounding of any such device for an unnecessary and unreasonable period of time.
(d)
The uses of any horn, whistle or other device operated by engine exhausts.
(2)
Radios, tape players, compact disc players, phonographs, amplified musical instruments, motor vehicle sound systems and similar devices. Playing or permitting the playing of any radio, tape player, compact disc player, phonograph, amplified musical instrument, motor vehicle sound system or similar device:
(a)
In such a manner as to create a noise disturbance across real property boundaries or within a noise sensitive zone.
(b)
When played in any motor vehicle, in such a manner as to create a noise disturbance outside the vehicle or as to be plainly audible at a distance of fifty (50) feet.
(c)
When played in any motor vehicle in such a manner as to create a sound level of sixty-five (65) decibels on the A-scale as read by the slow response of a sound level meter when read at the curbline of the adjoining street from 7 a.m. to 10 p.m. or in such a manner as to produce sound which is plainly audible to anyone other than occupants of the motor vehicle between 10 p.m. and 7 a.m.
(d)
When played on any street or sidewalk, playground, school, park or common area of any building, in such a manner so as to create a noise disturbance.
(e)
When played by any passenger on a common carrier, in such a manner as to be heard by any other passenger.
(f)
When played in any residential neighborhood so as to produce sixty-five (65) decibels on the A-scale as read by the slow response of a sound level meter when measured at a distance of twenty-five (25) feet or at the next adjoining full property line between the hours of 7 a.m. and 10 p.m. or when played between the hours of 10 p.m. and 7 a.m. on any street, playground, school, park, or common area of any building in such a manner as to be heard by anyone other than the operator of the device.
(3)
Loudspeakers, amplifiers for advertising. The using, operating or permitting to be played, used or operated of any radio receiving set, musical instrument, phonograph, loudspeaker, sound amplifier or other machine or device for the producing or reproducing of sound which is cast upon the public streets for the purpose of advertising or attracting the attention of the public to any building or structure without the prior written authorization of the Health Officer, or his or her designee, upon such terms as will not impair public health as determined by the Health Officer using reasonable standards; except that no loudspeaker or amplifier may be used or operated upon any street or from any building or vehicle for the purpose of advertising or attracting the attention of the public from 9:30 p.m. to 10:00 a.m. the following day on Monday through Saturday and from 9:30 p.m. on Saturday to 10:00

We don't have that issue up here with stores thank GD, but when I first moved here and went jogging down Ocean ave one Sunday morning this gospel church had mega speakers blasting so the whole area heard the service.

I called the police the 2nd week of living here and three years later I don't hear them at all. I think people don't know what is legal and what is not, so they don't bother.

Posted on: 2014/2/18 16:26

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2023/6/11 23:48
From Western Slope
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

HelenaJC wrote:
Having just moved to McGinley Square, I find it totally perplexing that stores on Bergen are allowed to blast music all day on the street with external speakers. I pass two of these on the way to the JS Path--I think one is a dollar store and the other sells phones.

Is it legal to have store speakers on the street like this? It certainly doesn't help the mood of those blocks.

Inner-city stores in large urban ghetto areas tend to have this culture. They even do this inside the stores to "promote" business. At the Everyrthing Festival on Central Ave. two years ago there was a business who did not even have a table blasting his "disco" music all the way to kingdom-come and nothing was done about it. Seems to be the way of the world, I've seen it in Newark, Eliazbeth, Passaic, and Paterson. And lived to tell about it.

Posted on: 2014/2/18 12:38
Get on your bikes and ride !

Not too shy to talk
Not too shy to talk

Hide User information
Last Login :
2016/12/10 18:02
From Jersey City
Group:
Registered Users

Posted on: 2014/2/18 1:45

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2022/2/28 7:31
From 280 Grove Street
Group:
Registered Users
Born and raised in Bayonne, live in JC and a live time (2nd generation) involved in construction that often involves clients and architects that use UK and Canadian measurements, standards and wordings.
Give me a green card to the UK or any Commonwealth Country and I'm out of here!

Posted on: 2013/8/20 2:47
My humor is for the silent blue collar majority - If my posts offend, slander or you deem inappropriate and seek deletion, contact the webmaster for jurisdiction.

Hide User information
Last Login :
2013/10/4 2:04
From Jersey City, NJ
Group:
Registered Users
There are "estates" in Jersey City? JK. You must be British, to use the term in that sense, as well as "timber kitchen cabinets".

Posted on: 2013/8/20 1:50

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2022/2/28 7:31
From 280 Grove Street
Group:
Registered Users
Seek out an acoustic engineer - Many if not all new developments and estates lack any serious sound-proofing. The basic problem is their single brick or reinforced concrete construction, lack of wall, ceiling and roof insulation, double glazing, lack of carpet and underlay, heavy curtains, solid core exterior and interior doors, solid timber kitchen cabinets and other solid timber fitting to either help absorb or reflect noise.

Posted on: 2013/8/19 13:24
My humor is for the silent blue collar majority - If my posts offend, slander or you deem inappropriate and seek deletion, contact the webmaster for jurisdiction.

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2023/6/11 23:48
From Western Slope
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

boilerplater wrote:
But noise pollution is a real problem here. You'd think that by 2013 someone would have invented a better way for fire trucks and ambulances to signal their approach than by making a lot of noise. 150 years ago, they used barking Dalmations and bells. It hasn't changed much. I realize it is not reasonable to expect a suburban level of quiet in such a city, but a lot of progress could be made with a little bit of enforcement.

Even in 2013 some things are still the same. The basic functions of life will never change.

Posted on: 2013/8/19 13:01
Get on your bikes and ride !

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2018/6/12 15:20
From Downtown Ex Pat happy in McGinley Sq.
Group:
Registered Users
I just wrote the mayor, councilman & several ranking enforcement JCPD officers about this. Let's see what we get back. I'm up in the JCPD West District area near St. Peter's U.

I encourage anyone bothered by these riders to write their JCPD District commander/Community officers and CC your Councilperson(s) AND the Mayor. If they get enough Quality of Life Complaints from various neighborhoods on this, we may get some better answers/solutions.

Posted on: 2013/8/18 18:08

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2018/6/12 15:20
From Downtown Ex Pat happy in McGinley Sq.
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

CatDog wrote:
yeah I've noticed there seems to be an increase in the number of motorcycles zooming around recently.

This has been a problem for years. We've talked about it here. I may contact the West District Command about this.

Posted on: 2013/8/18 16:56

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
1/7 4:19
Group:
Registered Users
yeah I've noticed there seems to be an increase in the number of motorcycles zooming around recently.

Posted on: 2013/8/18 16:28

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2014/12/21 14:01
Group:
Banned
Noise is my only real gripe, perhaps it's because it is the only quality of life issue that has not gotten much better since I moved here a long time ago.

If one gets the license plate number of a vehicle that is blasting music, will the cops do anything?

My fantasy is that some computer adept could use the plate information to screw up their autoloan or license. I guess that would be illegal, but so are most of my fantasies.

Posted on: 2013/8/18 16:06

Hide User information
Last Login :
2013/10/4 2:04
From Jersey City, NJ
Group:
Registered Users
The NJT buses are also part of the problem. The one going by my place would often set off car alarms. I noticed one car that would have the alarm triggered routinely. Out of frustration, I left a note on the windshield asking the owner (nicely) to fix his alarm. Miraculously, it worked.

But noise pollution is a real problem here. You'd think that by 2013 someone would have invented a better way for fire trucks and ambulances to signal their approach than by making a lot of noise. 150 years ago, they used barking Dalmations and bells. It hasn't changed much. Its kind of ironic that in the course of improving public safety, they have to lower quality of life.

I realize it is not reasonable to expect a suburban level of quiet in such a city, but a lot of progress could be made with a little bit of enforcement.

Posted on: 2013/8/18 15:21

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2018/2/27 0:25
Group:
Registered Users
Whenever I hear one of those loud motorcycles or cars, I think "small penis."

Posted on: 2013/8/18 15:18

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2020/5/28 15:24
Group:
Registered Users
Could not agree with this more. If this administration is serious about stepping up enforcement against quality of life offenses (which I believe it is), then the noise pollution in this city needs to be highly prioritized.

Specifically, motorcycles and cars with removed or modified mufflers are an absolute plague to cities (not only JC, but also where I used to live in Brooklyn). These buffoons who feel the need to set off car alarms and wake up babies and small animals for 5 square blocks of their vehicles need to be aggressively ticketed. Same with people with 20-inch sub-woofers in their trunk with nothing better to do than slowly drive around residential neighborhoods blasting music.

I know for a fact that there are "Noisy Muffler" ordinances in NJ because when I was younger, I got ticketed for this. Unfortunately, I hit a pot hole and damaged my muffler and in the 2-3 day period before I got it fixed, I was actually ticketed for a "noisy muffler." Figures, I get a ticket, but the morons who intentionally take the mufflers off of their cars and motorcycles drive around ticket-free for years.

Posted on: 2013/8/18 14:49

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2018/1/6 18:15
Group:
Banned
Very true. The city needs to address the noise problem. Loud motorcycles should be banned on residential streets in the night.

Posted on: 2013/8/18 14:12

Noisy City

Hide User information
Last Login :
2015/7/15 1:45
From Kenendy Blvd, Jersey City
Group:
Registered Users
After seven years here, I have generally gotten used to the unbearable noise of this city at night--I sleep most evenings. Between constant din of emergency vehicles, car stereos turned up to the limits of the amplifiers in their cars, and an assortment of other deafening sounds. But the last few days, the usual screeching, roaring sounds of motorcyles outside my house have escalated beyond belief. Last night at least 30 motorcycles roared past my house with mufflers (or no mufflers, not sure) rattling windows. This continued on and off through about 3:30 am.

I know the city has "real issues" like crime, unemployment, and poverty. But, frankly, this will not be a world class city until someone pays attention to these quality of life issues too.

Posted on: 2013/8/18 14:08

[Advanced Search]

Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!

LicenseInformation | AboutUs | PrivacyPolicy | Faq | Contact

JERSEY CITY LIST - News & Reviews - Jersey City, NJ - Copyright 2004 - 2017