Register now !    Login  
Main Menu
Who's Online
69 user(s) are online (68 user(s) are browsing Message Forum)

Members: 0
Guests: 69

more...




Browsing this Thread:   1 Anonymous Users




« 1 2 (3) 4 5 »


Re: NY TIMES: Have New Yorkers finally discovered Jersey City?
#79
Home away from home
Home away from home


Hide User information
Joined:
2012/6/14 12:07
Last Login :
2014/12/21 14:01
Group:
Banned
Posts: 836
Offline
Quote:

boilerplater wrote:
I've realized New Jersey residents must bear a heavy burden, which is propping up the self-esteem of New Yorkers.


I have yet to come to such a realization.


Posted on: 2013/8/18 12:39
 Top 


Re: NY TIMES: Have New Yorkers finally discovered Jersey City?
#78
Home away from home
Home away from home


Hide User information
Joined:
2008/1/3 19:12
Last Login :
2020/9/30 18:46
From Van Vorst Park
Group:
Registered Users
Posts: 2291
Offline
Boilerplater, you nailed it.

Posted on: 2013/8/18 7:56
 Top 


Re: NY TIMES: Have New Yorkers finally discovered Jersey City?
#77
Home away from home
Home away from home


Hide User information
Joined:
2009/2/8 17:21
Last Login :
2021/11/26 13:07
Group:
Registered Users
Posts: 382
Offline
Quote:

getz011 wrote:

That's a pretty area. When MANA has an opening we always walk to it, up and across your hill. (We live in Lafayette). A while back we rented out our garden apartment to some German tourists; they said the highlight of their time in NYC/JC was the gospel service at the church at Ivy Place.


Interesting. Some Harlem churches cultivate tourists, especially now that regular attendance at services is dropping.

Posted on: 2013/8/18 7:20
 Top 


Re: NY TIMES: Have New Yorkers finally discovered Jersey City?
#76
Newbie
Newbie


Hide User information
Joined:
2013/8/4 3:10
Last Login :
2013/10/4 2:04
From Jersey City, NJ
Group:
Registered Users
Posts: 14
Offline
When you look at it from space, it looks like one contiguous, messy, sprawling urban megalopolis, one of the largest on earth. You don't see a line in the middle of the Hudson. Political boundaries are curious inventions that allow people to try and differentiate themselves into ever smaller groups of people in order to convey some kind of social status or uniqueness. We share a watershed, we share an eco-region. In order to function properly, transportation planning needs to be done as a region.

I've realized New Jersey residents must bear a heavy burden, which is propping up the self-esteem of New Yorkers. They need to have SOMETHING they can point to and say well, my life here may be difficult, but at least I'm not over THERE. Where would we be without such elitist ideals? Well, we'd be in a much more egalitarian and happy society, I would argue. A sense of insecurity about the place where you live can be assuaged by criticism of other places, especially so if they can be defined by invisible, imaginary lines in the middle of rivers.

Posted on: 2013/8/18 4:06
 Top 


Re: NY TIMES: Have New Yorkers finally discovered Jersey City?
#75
Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away


Hide User information
Joined:
2009/11/23 19:38
Last Login :
2019/10/14 1:50
Group:
Registered Users
Posts: 150
Offline
Quote:

soledad wrote:
To be more specific, I live in the Bergen Hill section of Jersey City. It's a tiny little alcove with its major streets being Summit Ave, Astor Place, Park Street and Crescent Avenue with tree lined streets, brownstones, brick row houses and a few remaining wood frame Victorian style homes. It's 10 minutes from downtown Jersey City and a stone's throw away from the Beacon and St. John's Episcopal Church where there is current advocacy to have it designated as a historic landmark building. It appealed to my family because it reminded us of the Fort Green and Clinton Hill sections of Brooklyn in the early 90s. Not to sugar coat it, the area still needs work and homes need to be renovated and updated but that's no different than Jersey City as a whole including downtown. Nevertheless, it's a diverse neighborhood, we are all getting to know each other and Bergen Hill is a nice place for a young family or couple starting out. I share all this, because I want to provide a "resident" perspective for those trying to learn about this area of Jersey City.


That's a pretty area. When MANA has an opening we always walk to it, up and across your hill. (We live in Lafayette). A while back we rented out our garden apartment to some German tourists; they said the highlight of their time in NYC/JC was the gospel service at the church at Ivy Place.

Welcome to the neighborhood and this site.

Posted on: 2013/8/18 2:31
 Top 


Re: NY TIMES: Have New Yorkers finally discovered Jersey City?
#74
Newbie
Newbie


Hide User information
Joined:
2013/8/17 22:58
Last Login :
2013/8/18 2:02
Group:
Registered Users
Posts: 2
Offline
To be more specific, I live in the Bergen Hill section of Jersey City. It's a tiny little alcove with its major streets being Summit Ave, Astor Place, Park Street and Crescent Avenue with tree lined streets, brownstones, brick row houses and a few remaining wood frame Victorian style homes. It's 10 minutes from downtown Jersey City and a stone's throw away from the Beacon and St. John's Episcopal Church where there is current advocacy to have it designated as a historic landmark building. It appealed to my family because it reminded us of the Fort Green and Clinton Hill sections of Brooklyn in the early 90s. Not to sugar coat it, the area still needs work and homes need to be renovated and updated but that's no different than Jersey City as a whole including downtown. Nevertheless, it's a diverse neighborhood, we are all getting to know each other and Bergen Hill is a nice place for a young family or couple starting out. I share all this, because I want to provide a "resident" perspective for those trying to learn about this area of Jersey City.

Posted on: 2013/8/18 2:05
 Top 


Re: NY TIMES: Have New Yorkers finally discovered Jersey City?
#73
Home away from home
Home away from home


Hide User information
Joined:
2004/11/5 22:57
Last Login :
2015/6/14 0:06
Group:
Registered Users
Posts: 213
Offline
Lived in JC 10 years up until 2 years ago. Still in the city every day. Wife was there 16. Hilarious that people are still talking about "discovering" JC from manhattan.

Anyone under 40 claiming to be a pioneer of anything is suspect. Chicks wire in VVP has been gone a long time. Downtown has been very nice for more than a few years.

Same silly claims of cred from people moving to "other areas" of JC. Been going on since I first moved there. But they're still pioneers "changing things". It's all been changed. Go talk to Walt in the liquor store on 8th and Jersey if you want to talk to someone who really hung in to see a transformed Jersey City.

Posted on: 2013/8/17 23:58
 Top 


Re: NY TIMES: Have New Yorkers finally discovered Jersey City?
#72
Newbie
Newbie


Hide User information
Joined:
2013/8/17 22:58
Last Login :
2013/8/18 2:02
Group:
Registered Users
Posts: 2
Offline
I too made the move from Brooklyn (Prospect Heights) to Jersey City several years ago and I'm now living in the Bergen Lafayette section of Jersey City. I wanted space, (was tired of living in cramped apartments paying ridiculous rent) a backyard where I can garden and entertain and I wanted to be part of a neighborhood. I have found that here and am happy to be here working with others to improve my community.

Posted on: 2013/8/17 23:36
 Top 


Re: NY TIMES: Have New Yorkers finally discovered Jersey City?
#71
Home away from home
Home away from home


Hide User information
Joined:
2012/1/11 18:21
Last Login :
2019/12/26 15:30
From GV Bayside Park
Group:
Registered Users
Posts: 4954
Offline
Quote:

vindication15 wrote:
10 years ago the billboard top 100 song was in da club by 50 cent. in 2003, saddam was alive and just captured, lance armstrong was a hero, and the third lord of the rings movie came out.

and greenville is more dangerous than ever..


And yet people like you do nothing about it, but talk smack. I am here to make a difference, the same way I made a difference dtjc.

I am sure you are doing all of us a favor by staying put in PH with your wish list of chicken spots moving off Newark ave. Which proves my original point this city is divided. The reality is some people from New York have heard of Jersey City but most have never heard of Greenville the most dangerous place on earth in your book... because they don't see the difference, we are all a part of Jersey Shitty. Warm Regards.

Posted on: 2013/8/17 23:00
 Top 


Re: NY TIMES: Have New Yorkers finally discovered Jersey City?
#70
Home away from home
Home away from home


Hide User information
Joined:
2012/1/19 4:04
Last Login :
2017/4/20 19:08
Group:
Registered Users
Posts: 996
Offline
10 years ago the billboard top 100 song was in da club by 50 cent. in 2003, saddam was alive and just captured, lance armstrong was a hero, and the third lord of the rings movie came out.

this is not 10 yrs ago or 2003! 2013, DTJC is 100x safer than greenville, and greenville is more dangerous than ever. Unless there is a major reduction in violent crime, it would be assinine for anyone who isn't a ganster to move there (and for user - it doesn't matter if your black, white, Hispanic, asian, green, Tan mom, whatever, it would still be asinine from a safety perspective). So the realtors are right in not suggesting greenville as a location to reside in...it's not racist and unless the JJ is MAKING UP CRIME STORIES, greenville has a crime problem.

I'm not saying anything that is new here, I'm just stating stats. Maybe I say it in a tone you do not prefer but it's still factual.

Posted on: 2013/8/17 22:08
 Top 


Re: NY TIMES: Have New Yorkers finally discovered Jersey City?
#69
Home away from home
Home away from home


Hide User information
Joined:
2012/1/19 4:04
Last Login :
2017/4/20 19:08
Group:
Registered Users
Posts: 996
Offline
Quote:

itgirl wrote:
Quote:

vindication15 wrote:
Quote:

user1111 wrote:
Quote:

tommyc_37 wrote:
I'm not trying to be snarky, but what is there not to "get" about Brooklyn? The parts of Brooklyn that are popular and have exploded are super convenient, aesthetically attractive, and super walkable. Those are the reasons that people flock to urban cities.

If Jersey City was a part of the 5 boroughs, every square inch of Downtown would be as expensive as Williamsburg and Brooklyn Heights. There is no doubt about it. The fact that it is not part of the 5 boroughs is the only reason why prices have remained relatively "low" ... and by the way, prices in DTJC are more expensive than in most neighborhoods in the outer 4 boroughs.

Brooklyn has built a brand. Jersey City has not. Steven Fulop knows this, and knows the importance of it, and is working at building the brand that Jersey City deserves.

People are choosing the outer stretches of Brooklyn over DTJC because A) Brooklyn has a brand, and B) it's officially a part of NYC. People who move to New York from all over the country and world want to live in the city limits. Demand drives prices up. So yes, Bushwick is still a shitty place, uglier than DTJC, but it's highly coveted to say that one lives in Brooklyn, so there ya go.

It's annoying, but the New York area does a terrible job of promoting the entire area as a region. The Bay Area does a fantastic job of promoting the San Francisco area as a region, although I'm sure some provincialism exists there as well.

I think personally, I'm a little unique in the sense that I think of the entire New York area as a true *region* more than most people do. Maybe it's because I spend so much time in Manhattan in my day to day routine, maybe because I have so much family all over the tri-state area. I think it's weird when DTJC residents say "I'm going to the city", because I feel that this statement implies that we, while standing in DTJC having this conversation, are in the suburbs in some sense.

Ahh. Whatever :) Just rambling.



Until people in JC considers all of JC as a region we will always be full of shit here. Most people who live dtjc disconnect themselves from the rest of the city. However most outsiders look at JC as a whole. When there are 20 murders or muggings the average New Yawker does not look at JC by sections but as a whole city that's bad.


Yeah, cause brooklyn heights residents defend bushwick ALL THE TIME and they don't think their neighborhood is any better (which usually means SAFER FYI) than bushwick.

So all DTJC residents should defend greenville, cause you know, that region is the main life blood of JC...


Geographically, Brooklyn Heights is a sight farther away from Bushwick than DTJC is from Greenville (which is cheek by jowl). The entirety of Jersey City is about the size of a couple of Brooklyn communities, though depending on those referenced, it could be more densely populated. There's little equivalence here. Bushwick's concerns are unlikely to effect those in BH, except at a high municipal level. I've found the factionalization in this place pretty ridiculous for a city that can be traversed in less than half an hour.


replace brooklyn heights with park slope and bushwick with crown heights. my point remains exactly the same...

Posted on: 2013/8/17 22:01
 Top 


Re: NY TIMES: Have New Yorkers finally discovered Jersey City?
#68
Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away


Hide User information
Joined:
2008/2/10 22:47
Last Login :
2017/3/3 21:06
Group:
Registered Users
Posts: 143
Offline
Quote:

vindication15 wrote:
Quote:

user1111 wrote:
Quote:

tommyc_37 wrote:
I'm not trying to be snarky, but what is there not to "get" about Brooklyn? The parts of Brooklyn that are popular and have exploded are super convenient, aesthetically attractive, and super walkable. Those are the reasons that people flock to urban cities.

If Jersey City was a part of the 5 boroughs, every square inch of Downtown would be as expensive as Williamsburg and Brooklyn Heights. There is no doubt about it. The fact that it is not part of the 5 boroughs is the only reason why prices have remained relatively "low" ... and by the way, prices in DTJC are more expensive than in most neighborhoods in the outer 4 boroughs.

Brooklyn has built a brand. Jersey City has not. Steven Fulop knows this, and knows the importance of it, and is working at building the brand that Jersey City deserves.

People are choosing the outer stretches of Brooklyn over DTJC because A) Brooklyn has a brand, and B) it's officially a part of NYC. People who move to New York from all over the country and world want to live in the city limits. Demand drives prices up. So yes, Bushwick is still a shitty place, uglier than DTJC, but it's highly coveted to say that one lives in Brooklyn, so there ya go.

It's annoying, but the New York area does a terrible job of promoting the entire area as a region. The Bay Area does a fantastic job of promoting the San Francisco area as a region, although I'm sure some provincialism exists there as well.

I think personally, I'm a little unique in the sense that I think of the entire New York area as a true *region* more than most people do. Maybe it's because I spend so much time in Manhattan in my day to day routine, maybe because I have so much family all over the tri-state area. I think it's weird when DTJC residents say "I'm going to the city", because I feel that this statement implies that we, while standing in DTJC having this conversation, are in the suburbs in some sense.

Ahh. Whatever :) Just rambling.



Until people in JC considers all of JC as a region we will always be full of shit here. Most people who live dtjc disconnect themselves from the rest of the city. However most outsiders look at JC as a whole. When there are 20 murders or muggings the average New Yawker does not look at JC by sections but as a whole city that's bad.


Yeah, cause brooklyn heights residents defend bushwick ALL THE TIME and they don't think their neighborhood is any better (which usually means SAFER FYI) than bushwick.

So all DTJC residents should defend greenville, cause you know, that region is the main life blood of JC...


Geographically, Brooklyn Heights is a sight farther away from Bushwick than DTJC is from Greenville (which is cheek by jowl). The entirety of Jersey City is about the size of a couple of Brooklyn communities, though depending on those referenced, it could be more densely populated. There's little equivalence here. Bushwick's concerns are unlikely to effect those in BH, except at a high municipal level. I've found the factionalization in this place pretty ridiculous for a city that can be traversed in less than half an hour.

Posted on: 2013/8/17 20:06
 Top 


Re: NY TIMES: Have New Yorkers finally discovered Jersey City?
#67
Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away


Hide User information
Joined:
2011/3/21 20:32
Last Login :
2017/8/9 18:01
From Bayside Park
Group:
Registered Users
Posts: 137
Offline
@vindication and user1111

"I lived dtjc b4 most of you got there and it was just as bad as GV and BL put together and shit changed. I rather be a pioneer and help create change then being a person that creates separation.

Quote:
Instead of yelling at any of us, you should be yelling at your councilperson and telling the mayor to make your crime ridden area safer.


I did, its called voting."

User1111 is quite right, we voted and we largely got a whole new administration that had a detailed plan that I liked and assume user liked too.

In our GV block association, we have gotten great support from the JCPD, Parks, Recreation, and Residents Response team. We have seen lots more police activity, foot patrols, response to our specific requests, better maintenance of the park, organized teams cleaning up the park when they are done. And thats only in the last few weeks.

As is often pointed out to me, Williamsburg, Lower Eastside, and even the vaunted Village were dangerous places not long ago full of crime, drugs and prostitution. These things only change when we work to make them change, and we now have a city government that is on board.

And oh yeah, Council Pres Lavarro attended our last block meeting on Wednesday along with the JCPD brass. They are tuned in.

Posted on: 2013/8/17 19:31
 Top 


Re: NY TIMES: Have New Yorkers finally discovered Jersey City?
#66
Home away from home
Home away from home


Hide User information
Joined:
2012/1/11 18:21
Last Login :
2019/12/26 15:30
From GV Bayside Park
Group:
Registered Users
Posts: 4954
Offline
Quote:

vindication15 wrote:
Quote:

user1111 wrote:
Quote:

Dahood wrote:
Who wants the mega rich to live here. Educated White collar professionals are moving to the area. With all the violent crime that happens there, Greenville and Bergen Lafayette are closer to Newark and Irvington than DTJC.

Once again separating yourself from a neighborhood that is in your backyard shows me who you are and how pathetic your reality is. So you and your buddy can shit on Bushwick or East New York but guess what these places are in New York City with a NYC zip code, and the both of you are not LMAO.

When NYC local news reports a murder in Jersey City the reporter does not give a specific location of the area the reporter usually reports a murder happened in Jersey City not Greenville.

The only news source that does that is the Jersey Journal to keep scared white people interested in DTJC.
I have been a resident of Greenville for 3 years and love it. I don't buy into the idiotic scare tactics of the Jersey Journal or the Hating on my neighborhood by a$$holes because he fears his property values may go down. FYI the white collar workers are already flocking to GV and BL but the two of you have your head so far up your ass to know it. Have a great weekend shopping on Newark ave.


Maybe the reason why they don't say greenville or bl is that all murders happen there....it would be somewhat redundant.


But saying Jersey City, Jersey City, Jersey City, Jersey City... isn't? Gotcha!

Quote:
You are right user, I am not going to risk my life by visiting a neighborhood which has had...what is it 6 murders already this yr? Call me crazy but I don't think that is a safe place.


I lived dtjc b4 most of you got there and it was just as bad as GV and BL put together and shit changed. I rather be a pioneer and help create change then being a person that creates separation.

Quote:
Instead of yelling at any of us, you should be yelling at your councilperson and telling the mayor to make your crime ridden area safer.


I did, its called voting.

Posted on: 2013/8/17 18:35
 Top 


Re: NY TIMES: Have New Yorkers finally discovered Jersey City?
#65
Home away from home
Home away from home


Hide User information
Joined:
2012/1/19 4:04
Last Login :
2017/4/20 19:08
Group:
Registered Users
Posts: 996
Offline
Quote:

user1111 wrote:
Quote:

Dahood wrote:
Who wants the mega rich to live here. Educated White collar professionals are moving to the area. With all the violent crime that happens there, Greenville and Bergen Lafayette are closer to Newark and Irvington than DTJC.

Once again separating yourself from a neighborhood that is in your backyard shows me who you are and how pathetic your reality is. So you and your buddy can shit on Bushwick or East New York but guess what these places are in New York City with a NYC zip code, and the both of you are not LMAO.

When NYC local news reports a murder in Jersey City the reporter does not give a specific location of the area the reporter usually reports a murder happened in Jersey City not Greenville.

The only news source that does that is the Jersey Journal to keep scared white people interested in DTJC.
I have been a resident of Greenville for 3 years and love it. I don't buy into the idiotic scare tactics of the Jersey Journal or the Hating on my neighborhood by a$$holes because he fears his property values may go down. FYI the white collar workers are already flocking to GV and BL but the two of you have your head so far up your ass to know it. Have a great weekend shopping on Newark ave.


Maybe the reason why they don't say greenville or bl is that all murders happen there....it would be somewhat redundant.

You are right user, I am not going to risk my life by visiting a neighborhood which has had...what is it 6 murders already this yr? Call me crazy but I don't think that is a safe place.

Instead of yelling at any of us, you should be yelling at your councilperson and telling the mayor to make your crime ridden area safer. How about declaring martial law there or instating a 5pm curfew.

I live in DTJC and yes, I'm not mega rich duh. If I was, i would be in NYC. However, me not defending greenville or bl and telling people to move there is I think, a wise decision given the current drugs, gangs, shootings, murders, violent crime that is plaguing those parts of the city....

Posted on: 2013/8/17 18:17
 Top 


Re: NY TIMES: Have New Yorkers finally discovered Jersey City?
#64
Home away from home
Home away from home


Hide User information
Joined:
2012/1/11 18:21
Last Login :
2019/12/26 15:30
From GV Bayside Park
Group:
Registered Users
Posts: 4954
Offline
Quote:

Dahood wrote:
Not sure why you keep bringing race in such discussions. .


I bring up race, because when I first began to look outside of DTJC and wanted advice about other areas of JC I was bluntly told by real estate agents, ex neighbors and some folks on this board that "unless you are black or poor why would you look outside dtjc no one will ever visit you up there.

This is how the other neighborhoods are marketed by professional real estate agents and dtjc residents in Jersey City. I understand why agents do it, its a bigger commission for dtjc properties, but most dtjc residents live in a bubble and never travel the city so this puzzled me.

I had fired 2 agents because of this attitude, I finally found one that was willing to show me outside of downtown who happened to live in GV.

Posted on: 2013/8/17 18:14
 Top 


Re: NY TIMES: Have New Yorkers finally discovered Jersey City?
#63
Home away from home
Home away from home


Hide User information
Joined:
2011/11/9 11:28
Last Login :
2018/1/6 18:15
Group:
Banned
Posts: 410
Offline
Not sure why you keep bringing race in such discussions. Unless people from rest of the JC feel safe to visit these inner city hoods, you cannot expect them to vouch for these hoods. I visit JSQ a lot without feeling unsafe and have also Lived in the heights and had no issues. It's not DT vs rest of JC as you make it out to be.

Posted on: 2013/8/17 17:56
 Top 


Re: NY TIMES: Have New Yorkers finally discovered Jersey City?
#62
Home away from home
Home away from home


Hide User information
Joined:
2012/1/11 18:21
Last Login :
2019/12/26 15:30
From GV Bayside Park
Group:
Registered Users
Posts: 4954
Offline
Quote:

Dahood wrote:
Who wants the mega rich to live here. Educated White collar professionals are moving to the area. With all the violent crime that happens there, Greenville and Bergen Lafayette are closer to Newark and Irvington than DTJC.

Once again separating yourself from a neighborhood that is in your backyard shows me who you are and how pathetic your reality is. So you and your buddy can shit on Bushwick or East New York but guess what these places are in New York City with a NYC zip code, and the both of you are not LMAO.

When NYC local news reports a murder in Jersey City the reporter does not give a specific location of the area the reporter usually reports a murder happened in Jersey City not Greenville.

The only news source that does that is the Jersey Journal to keep scared white people interested in DTJC.
I have been a resident of Greenville for 3 years and love it. I don't buy into the idiotic scare tactics of the Jersey Journal or the Hating on my neighborhood by a$$holes because he fears his property values may go down. FYI the white collar workers are already flocking to GV and BL but the two of you have your head so far up your ass to know it. Have a great weekend shopping on Newark ave.

Posted on: 2013/8/17 17:37
 Top 


Re: NY TIMES: Have New Yorkers finally discovered Jersey City?
#61
Home away from home
Home away from home


Hide User information
Joined:
2011/11/9 11:28
Last Login :
2018/1/6 18:15
Group:
Banned
Posts: 410
Offline
Who wants the mega rich to live here. Educated White collar professionals are moving to the area. With all the violent crime that happens there, Greenville and Bergen Lafayette are closer to Newark and Irvington than DTJC.

Posted on: 2013/8/17 17:23
 Top 


Re: NY TIMES: Have New Yorkers finally discovered Jersey City?
#60
Home away from home
Home away from home


Hide User information
Joined:
2012/1/11 18:21
Last Login :
2019/12/26 15:30
From GV Bayside Park
Group:
Registered Users
Posts: 4954
Offline
Quote:

vindication15 wrote:
Quote:

user1111 wrote:
Quote:

tommyc_37 wrote:
I'm not trying to be snarky, but what is there not to "get" about Brooklyn? The parts of Brooklyn that are popular and have exploded are super convenient, aesthetically attractive, and super walkable. Those are the reasons that people flock to urban cities.

If Jersey City was a part of the 5 boroughs, every square inch of Downtown would be as expensive as Williamsburg and Brooklyn Heights. There is no doubt about it. The fact that it is not part of the 5 boroughs is the only reason why prices have remained relatively "low" ... and by the way, prices in DTJC are more expensive than in most neighborhoods in the outer 4 boroughs.

Brooklyn has built a brand. Jersey City has not. Steven Fulop knows this, and knows the importance of it, and is working at building the brand that Jersey City deserves.

People are choosing the outer stretches of Brooklyn over DTJC because A) Brooklyn has a brand, and B) it's officially a part of NYC. People who move to New York from all over the country and world want to live in the city limits. Demand drives prices up. So yes, Bushwick is still a shitty place, uglier than DTJC, but it's highly coveted to say that one lives in Brooklyn, so there ya go.

It's annoying, but the New York area does a terrible job of promoting the entire area as a region. The Bay Area does a fantastic job of promoting the San Francisco area as a region, although I'm sure some provincialism exists there as well.

I think personally, I'm a little unique in the sense that I think of the entire New York area as a true *region* more than most people do. Maybe it's because I spend so much time in Manhattan in my day to day routine, maybe because I have so much family all over the tri-state area. I think it's weird when DTJC residents say "I'm going to the city", because I feel that this statement implies that we, while standing in DTJC having this conversation, are in the suburbs in some sense.

Ahh. Whatever :) Just rambling.



Until people in JC considers all of JC as a region we will always be full of shit here. Most people who live dtjc disconnect themselves from the rest of the city. However most outsiders look at JC as a whole. When there are 20 murders or muggings the average New Yawker does not look at JC by sections but as a whole city that's bad.


Yeah, cause brooklyn heights residents defend bushwick ALL THE TIME and they don't think their neighborhood is any better (which usually means SAFER FYI) than bushwick.

So all DTJC residents should defend greenville, cause you know, that region is the main life blood of JC...


All dtjc residents like you should wake the fuk up and smell the coffee, there will never be a Park ave, Central Park West, or a Madison ave here. When NYC peeps laugh at JC they are laughing at all of us. The mega Rich will never be here only fake mofo's who pretend they are.

Posted on: 2013/8/17 17:06
 Top 


Re: NY TIMES: Have New Yorkers finally discovered Jersey City?
#59
Home away from home
Home away from home


Hide User information
Joined:
2012/1/19 4:04
Last Login :
2017/4/20 19:08
Group:
Registered Users
Posts: 996
Offline
Quote:

user1111 wrote:
Quote:

tommyc_37 wrote:
I'm not trying to be snarky, but what is there not to "get" about Brooklyn? The parts of Brooklyn that are popular and have exploded are super convenient, aesthetically attractive, and super walkable. Those are the reasons that people flock to urban cities.

If Jersey City was a part of the 5 boroughs, every square inch of Downtown would be as expensive as Williamsburg and Brooklyn Heights. There is no doubt about it. The fact that it is not part of the 5 boroughs is the only reason why prices have remained relatively "low" ... and by the way, prices in DTJC are more expensive than in most neighborhoods in the outer 4 boroughs.

Brooklyn has built a brand. Jersey City has not. Steven Fulop knows this, and knows the importance of it, and is working at building the brand that Jersey City deserves.

People are choosing the outer stretches of Brooklyn over DTJC because A) Brooklyn has a brand, and B) it's officially a part of NYC. People who move to New York from all over the country and world want to live in the city limits. Demand drives prices up. So yes, Bushwick is still a shitty place, uglier than DTJC, but it's highly coveted to say that one lives in Brooklyn, so there ya go.

It's annoying, but the New York area does a terrible job of promoting the entire area as a region. The Bay Area does a fantastic job of promoting the San Francisco area as a region, although I'm sure some provincialism exists there as well.

I think personally, I'm a little unique in the sense that I think of the entire New York area as a true *region* more than most people do. Maybe it's because I spend so much time in Manhattan in my day to day routine, maybe because I have so much family all over the tri-state area. I think it's weird when DTJC residents say "I'm going to the city", because I feel that this statement implies that we, while standing in DTJC having this conversation, are in the suburbs in some sense.

Ahh. Whatever :) Just rambling.



Until people in JC considers all of JC as a region we will always be full of shit here. Most people who live dtjc disconnect themselves from the rest of the city. However most outsiders look at JC as a whole. When there are 20 murders or muggings the average New Yawker does not look at JC by sections but as a whole city that's bad.


Yeah, cause brooklyn heights residents defend bushwick ALL THE TIME and they don't think their neighborhood is any better (which usually means SAFER FYI) than bushwick.

So all DTJC residents should defend greenville, cause you know, that region is the main life blood of JC...

Posted on: 2013/8/17 16:59
 Top 


Re: NY TIMES: Have New Yorkers finally discovered Jersey City?
#58
Home away from home
Home away from home


Hide User information
Joined:
2010/9/24 1:49
Last Login :
2020/5/28 15:24
Group:
Registered Users
Posts: 159
Offline
Quote:

Monroe wrote:

I'd be disappointed if he went to Pacific Pizza-it sucks. A bodega on Communipaw? Attaboy. I'd love to see him try the bar at the corner of Halladay and Communipaw-when is it ever open? It seems scarier than BG's! :) I think he'll show up at the former MAE space before anywhere else.


I've seen the mayor at BG's.

Posted on: 2013/8/17 2:31
 Top 


Re: NY TIMES: Have New Yorkers finally discovered Jersey City?
#57
Newbie
Newbie


Hide User information
Joined:
2010/12/26 15:06
Last Login :
2014/8/2 11:26
From Bergen Lafayette, Downtown, Westiside and Heights
Group:
Registered Users
Posts: 18
Offline
BeLa!!!!!! Monegro's cafe con leche ROCKS!!

Posted on: 2013/8/17 1:54
*JERSEY CITY* BORN and RAISED, STILL HERE!
 Top 


Re: NY TIMES: Have New Yorkers finally discovered Jersey City?
#56
Home away from home
Home away from home


Hide User information
Joined:
2013/5/15 14:11
Last Login :
2020/10/5 21:44
Group:
Registered Users
Posts: 4440
Offline
Quote:

RebeccaS wrote:
By the way, no one has any actual evidence of where he is moving, it's been a rumor since the election.

I believe the ersatz, new "brownstones" by the hospital and the Jersey Ave. light rail stop call themselves the Liberty State Park neighborhood. I won't believe that he moves here until I see him walking into Provident Bank or going to Pacific Pizza.

I'd also like to point out that Downtown isn't as integrated as some people might think. If anyone saw the Slate article yesterday, we are diverse but not integrated.


I'd be disappointed if he went to Pacific Pizza-it sucks. A bodega on Communipaw? Attaboy. I'd love to see him try the bar at the corner of Halladay and Communipaw-when is it ever open? It seems scarier than BG's! :) I think he'll show up at the former MAE space before anywhere else.

Posted on: 2013/8/17 1:43
 Top 


Re: NY TIMES: Have New Yorkers finally discovered Jersey City?
#55
Home away from home
Home away from home


Hide User information
Joined:
2006/11/13 18:42
Last Login :
2/28 7:31
From 280 Grove Street
Group:
Registered Users
Posts: 4118
Offline
This article cames across to me as just another real-estate plug in the guise of some sort of newsworthy report - I would have liked to see a discloser at the end of the article highlighting its a paid advertisement!
It might be an idea for Fulop to contact a number of popular lifestyle magazines in the tri state area (maybe one that is a supplement in a week-end newpaper) and do a full spread article on the positive demographic features of JC that include cost comparsion of apartments, amenities, schools, commute times and anything else we have that makes us competitive with other communities.
Maybe even set-up a tourist / migrant / business office bureau in Manhattan with smaller ads in local newpapers to direct business and individuals to the NY office ... maybe even some bus shelter / bus / subway trains and platform advertising to the local NY office!

Target your prospective 'new comes' from demographic and socioeconomic locations in the tri-state boroughs and locations.

Posted on: 2013/8/17 0:55
My humor is for the silent blue collar majority - If my posts offend, slander or you deem inappropriate and seek deletion, contact the webmaster for jurisdiction.
 Top 


Re: NY TIMES: Have New Yorkers finally discovered Jersey City?
#54
Home away from home
Home away from home


Hide User information
Joined:
2011/11/9 11:28
Last Login :
2018/1/6 18:15
Group:
Banned
Posts: 410
Offline
DTJC is usually grouped with Hoboken in real estate world because of lot of similarities. Both in turn can be considered unofficial boroughs of NYC. Even Weehawken waterfront can be grouped with the two. JSQ is in line to be grouped with DTJC in a few years.

Posted on: 2013/8/17 0:33
 Top 


Re: NY TIMES: Have New Yorkers finally discovered Jersey City?
#53
Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away


Hide User information
Joined:
2012/3/21 16:01
Last Login :
2019/12/11 17:35
From Bergen-Lafayette
Group:
Registered Users
Posts: 93
Offline
By the way, no one has any actual evidence of where he is moving, it's been a rumor since the election.

I believe the ersatz, new "brownstones" by the hospital and the Jersey Ave. light rail stop call themselves the Liberty State Park neighborhood. I won't believe that he moves here until I see him walking into Provident Bank or going to Pacific Pizza.

I'd also like to point out that Downtown isn't as integrated as some people might think. If anyone saw the Slate article yesterday, we are diverse but not integrated.

Posted on: 2013/8/17 0:28
 Top 


Re: NY TIMES: Have New Yorkers finally discovered Jersey City?
#52
Newbie
Newbie


Hide User information
Joined:
2007/1/19 21:43
Last Login :
2018/6/22 19:02
Group:
Registered Users
Posts: 12
Offline
Excellent point - Booker lived in the projects in Newark. I remember him moving there during his run for Mayor, and it was a way to get headlines away from Sharpe James. Fulop doent need the headlines, he's already won, but he does need to be seen as more than just the mayor of Downtown. Moving to B-L can only help.

Quote:

OneSkirt wrote:
Quote:

chilltownboy wrote:
I also think he was motivated by the fact that he could buy a brownstone in Lafayette after selling his 5th floor walkup in PH. There is some awesome housing stock in Lafayette thanks to our old friends Keeney & Halladay.


Quote:

nemobeatz wrote:
My guess is it's mostly a symbolic gesture. Goes against the narrative that he's just a "downtown" mayor, but also it's a beautiful neighborhood and right next to the lightrail. =)

Quote:

tommyc_37 wrote:
Just curious, did Fulop state why he planned to move to B-L? You'd think he'd want to be closer to City Hall and stay downtown.

Quote:

nemobeatz wrote:
I'm hearing it's near Communipaw and Pacific. Btw, have you joined the new Lafayette community forum on nextdoor.com? Trying to rally our neighbors to join. https://nextdoor.com/invite/dfsvrptuttjtfvumjafn

Quote:

Monroe wrote:
Does anyone know where Fulop is moving to in BeLa?


Its also a way to make B-L safer and get more attention/services improved if the Mayor lives there. Fulop knows this. Its a page from the Cory Booker playbook, IIRC.

Posted on: 2013/8/16 21:29
 Top 


Re: NY TIMES: Have New Yorkers finally discovered Jersey City?
#51
Home away from home
Home away from home


Hide User information
Joined:
2012/1/11 18:21
Last Login :
2019/12/26 15:30
From GV Bayside Park
Group:
Registered Users
Posts: 4954
Offline
Quote:

Bubble_Tea wrote:
Quote:

user1111 wrote:

Until people in JC considers all of JC as a region we will always be full of shit here. Most people who live dtjc disconnect themselves from the rest of the city.



I couldn't disagree with the first sentence more. People most certainly see Brooklyn, the Bronx and Queens and even Manhattan in terms of regions and yet they are all part of NYC. Demand for real estate in Tribeca or the Upper East Side is not decreasing because of crime in Harlem or the Bronx.

Downtown is a totally different area than most of the rest of JC whether you like that or not. It has far less crime (especially violent), is much more developed in terms of building, has a different racial and cultural make-up and forms a different socio-economic class. Some people may dislike some of these differences, but they are facts of reality. So it's no wonder that people disconnect themselves between the two areas.

I understand the incentive to paint the picture of JC you're trying to create. You want to pull money and resources from one area of the city to another. That's understandable if you have some sort of connection to areas that will benefit from that. But let's be honest. Without the money coming into DTJC, there's no one to loot!


I believe every single word you say. It's when you put them together to form a sentence that I think it's bullshit.

Posted on: 2013/8/16 21:08
 Top 


Re: NY TIMES: Have New Yorkers finally discovered Jersey City?
#50
Home away from home
Home away from home


Hide User information
Joined:
2005/3/2 4:49
Last Login :
2018/6/12 15:20
From Downtown Ex Pat happy in McGinley Sq.
Group:
Registered Users
Posts: 810
Offline
Quote:

chilltownboy wrote:
I also think he was motivated by the fact that he could buy a brownstone in Lafayette after selling his 5th floor walkup in PH. There is some awesome housing stock in Lafayette thanks to our old friends Keeney & Halladay.


Quote:

nemobeatz wrote:
My guess is it's mostly a symbolic gesture. Goes against the narrative that he's just a "downtown" mayor, but also it's a beautiful neighborhood and right next to the lightrail. =)

Quote:

tommyc_37 wrote:
Just curious, did Fulop state why he planned to move to B-L? You'd think he'd want to be closer to City Hall and stay downtown.

Quote:

nemobeatz wrote:
I'm hearing it's near Communipaw and Pacific. Btw, have you joined the new Lafayette community forum on nextdoor.com? Trying to rally our neighbors to join. https://nextdoor.com/invite/dfsvrptuttjtfvumjafn

Quote:

Monroe wrote:
Does anyone know where Fulop is moving to in BeLa?


Its also a way to make B-L safer and get more attention/services improved if the Mayor lives there. Fulop knows this. Its a page from the Cory Booker playbook, IIRC.

Posted on: 2013/8/16 21:02
 Top 




« 1 2 (3) 4 5 »




[Advanced Search]





Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me



Lost Password?

Register now!



LicenseInformation | AboutUs | PrivacyPolicy | Faq | Contact


JERSEY CITY LIST - News & Reviews - Jersey City, NJ - Copyright 2004 - 2017