Register now !    Login  
Main Menu
Who's Online
105 user(s) are online (90 user(s) are browsing Message Forum)

Members: 0
Guests: 105

more...

Browsing this Thread:   2 Anonymous Users

« 1 ... 31 32 33 (34) 35 36 37 ... 60 »

Re: PATH (pathetic attempt at transporting humans)
Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2019/11/7 23:14
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

JCParentingUnit wrote:
Quote:

The new station, expected to be completed in 2017, will create what Port Authority Executive Director Bill Baroni called "one of the newest stations in the nation."

Can't argue with that.

Ha!

Posted on: 2013/8/16 20:43

Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

Hide User information
Last Login :
2014/1/5 21:40
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

The new station, expected to be completed in 2017, will create what Port Authority Executive Director Bill Baroni called "one of the newest stations in the nation."

Can't argue with that.

Posted on: 2013/8/16 19:33

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2016/9/8 19:37
From Soho West
Group:
Registered Users
I don't doubt that Harrison needs improvement, but I doubt the motives of PA. I doubt and question everything they do, because they have never given me reason otherwise.

Here's another example. JJ article says they will have shuttle service over the Bayonne bridge for pedestrians because they are closing the walking path...yet no shuttles or even communication during Sandy. So they do have a vehicle that can cross the NY/NJ border these days?

In fact I am for adding a station at EWR...but I know they will use it as a moneypit. Anything they can't offer 100k to someone in a union to do nothing, there is little interest. They are typical NJ old school payola at work, and we deserve better.

Posted on: 2013/8/16 16:44

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2019/12/26 15:30
From GV Bayside Park
Group:
Registered Users
Anthony J. Machcinski/The Jersey Journal

HARRISON - The transformation of the southern tip of Harrison from an industrial wasteland to a booming urban enterprise took a large step forward this morning as local and state officials celebrated the beginning of construction on the new, $256 million PATH station.

The station, which will be located on the east side of Frank E. Rodgers Boulevard across the street from the current station, will be the "centerpiece" for the town's new redevelopment, officials said today.

"I told Ray McDonough, 'You had my 80-year-old father as your lobbyist in the Christie family for this project,'" Gov. Chris Christie said today, referring to the Harrison mayor.

Christie said that his father, Bill, commuted into lower Manhattan for years using the PATH station in Harrison.

Port Authority officials said that the current station, built in 1936, "was too outmoded for the town's current and future ridership needs."

The facility will feature an extended platform to accommodate a longer, 10-car train, glass-enclosed station entrances and modern elevators, something not featured in the aging current station.

According to Port Authority spokesman Ron Marsico, the old station will remain open during the building of the new hub.

Christie said that the project will create 470 direct construction jobs totaling $42 million in projected payroll taxes and $344 million in regional economic activity.

The governor, who faces re-election in November, compared the project's importance to several other large scale projects in Hudson County, including renovations on the 80-year-old Pulaski Skyway and the raising of the Bayonne Bridge.

McDonough praised the new multi-million dollar station, calling it "the cornerstone" of Harrison's redevelopment.

"I can't put it into words for how happy I am," McDonough said. "The best thing about this is that you can see the rebuilding process (throughout town)."

"I'm just happy it's going to get done," he added. "Harrison is going to be booming in the next five to 10 years."

Posted on: 2013/8/16 16:25

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2022/11/28 0:04
From New Urbanist Area
Group:
Registered Users
I have no problem with expanding Harrison station. It is a busy station for suburban commuters, and they are as much a stakeholder as residents of the cities in which the train stops. I only occasionally use the Harrison station to go to games at Red Bull arena. When you try to get on the train after the game, the confines of the station really show themselves. Rush hour commuters face that issue, although not quite as concentrated, every day.

The NWK-WTC line needs to be expanded for more cars and expanding the station is part of that.

Certainly one can question whether design is over the top, or whether money is being spent efficiently. But that doesn't change the fact that Harrison needs an upgrade for the reasons Ian stated.

Posted on: 2013/8/16 14:00

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2022/6/15 16:59
From Mars
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

Dahood wrote:
JSQ-33 multiplexes with the most important PATH line - NWK-WTC. They cannot increase the frequency in peak hours without affecting that line. So reducing frequency on HOB-33 line is not a solution. Signal upgrades and longer platforms is. When the PA does something in NY, the Jersey guys demand their share to even it out. They are wasting billions in the new WTC station, so they have to waste some money on this side of the Hudson too. Taking over of AC airport is another example.

Again, Harrison is all about expanding the station to allow longer trains and improve capacity at the station experiencing the most growth. I wonder if you will be complaining about spending money on station enhancements when they start work on Grove Street?

Posted on: 2013/8/16 13:50

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2018/1/6 18:15
Group:
Banned
JSQ-33 multiplexes with the most important PATH line - NWK-WTC. They cannot increase the frequency in peak hours without affecting that line. So reducing frequency on HOB-33 line is not a solution. Signal upgrades and longer platforms is. When the PA does something in NY, the Jersey guys demand their share to even it out. They are wasting billions in the new WTC station, so they have to waste some money on this side of the Hudson too. Taking over of AC airport is another example.

Posted on: 2013/8/16 11:29

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
From Mars
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

JCMan8 wrote:
Quote:

ianmac47 wrote:
1. The new station at Harrison include lengthening the platforms to accommodate longer trains to the World Trade Center line.

2. The new design will provide better access for larger crowds.

3. Glass in recent years became a popular way of cladding structures because it was cheaper than brick.

4. Harrison is a rapidly growing station with some 10,000 housing units planned for the area around the station, as well as the Red Bulls soccer stadium; a new station is necessary to accommodate the number of people.

5. Transit stations are places people spend a huge amount of time. They should not be ugly, they should be well designed and well thought out. Think about spending 10 minutes a day, five days a week coming and going from a structure. Thats hours a year you spend in a place and you want it to be ugly? Come on. The aesthetics are a nominal cost added to necessary renovation.

I think most people would prefer to get the essentials in order before moving to the fluff. So increasing service on the pathetic JSQ/33rd Street line so it isn't mobbed literally any time of day. Having overnight service go more frequently than once every 35 minutes. And having more frequent weekend trains.

Once that's taken care of, then go ahead and make random stops not so ugly. But as another poster pointed out, increasing service doesn't provide an opportunity for the Port Authority to hand plum contracts to their fatcat friends.

33rd Street to JSQ will get better service when fewer NJTransit trains terminate in Hoboken, lessoning demand and freeing up track space. That was originally supposed to be 2017, but the plan to route trains through a new tunnel have been delayed.

Posted on: 2013/8/16 5:48

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2018/2/1 3:02
From JC
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

ianmac47 wrote:
1. The new station at Harrison include lengthening the platforms to accommodate longer trains to the World Trade Center line.

3. Glass in recent years became a popular way of cladding structures because it was cheaper than brick.

4. Harrison is a rapidly growing station with some 10,000 housing units planned for the area around the station, as well as the Red Bulls soccer stadium; a new station is necessary to accommodate the number of people.

5. Transit stations are places people spend a huge amount of time. They should not be ugly, they should be well designed and well thought out. Think about spending 10 minutes a day, five days a week coming and going from a structure. Thats hours a year you spend in a place and you want it to be ugly? Come on. The aesthetics are a nominal cost added to necessary renovation.

I think most people would prefer to get the essentials in order before moving to the fluff. So increasing service on the pathetic JSQ/33rd Street line so it isn't mobbed literally any time of day. Having overnight service go more frequently than once every 35 minutes. And having more frequent weekend trains.

Once that's taken care of, then go ahead and make random stops not so ugly. But as another poster pointed out, increasing service doesn't provide an opportunity for the Port Authority to hand plum contracts to their fatcat friends.

Posted on: 2013/8/16 3:12

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2018/7/19 15:21
Group:
Registered Users
There's a holdup at exchange place right now. A passenger is having a medical emergency and our train is stopped. Just a heads up.

Posted on: 2013/8/15 22:22

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
From Mars
Group:
Registered Users

Posted on: 2013/8/15 20:40

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
From Soho West
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

tommyc_37 wrote:
It really is upsetting that resources will be pumped into this new station while the system itself needs massive upgrades in the very short term. I haven't spent much time at the Harrison station, but is this new station really needed?

The future of growth in Path ridership is in JSQ/Grove/Exchange/Newport/Hoboken. I gather that most riders who get on in Harrison are suburban commuters who drive to Harrison to board. I think Port Authority needs to reevaluate its priorities, big time.

You are errantly assuming they have priorities beyond their self enrichment.

Things like new stations offer the opportunity for riduculously inflated contracts for political cohorts.

Expanding service doesn't.

Posted on: 2013/8/15 20:10

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2020/9/30 18:46
From Van Vorst Park
Group:
Registered Users
It really is upsetting that resources will be pumped into this new station while the system itself needs massive upgrades in the very short term. I haven't spent much time at the Harrison station, but is this new station really needed?

The future of growth in Path ridership is in JSQ/Grove/Exchange/Newport/Hoboken. I gather that most riders who get on in Harrison are suburban commuters who drive to Harrison to board. I think Port Authority needs to reevaluate its priorities, big time.

Posted on: 2013/8/15 14:53

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
Group:
Registered Users
I already do that. I don't put up with the passive aggressives and the oblivious morons that just don't know any better; who crowd the doors and refuse to move all the way into the train. I'm getting on the train one way or another, and if you take one step inside the train and then stop like nobody's behind you, I'll be the one behind you giving you some assistance.

Posted on: 2013/8/15 14:09

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2022/2/28 7:31
From 280 Grove Street
Group:
Registered Users
Is this the goal of PATH ?

Posted on: 2013/8/15 13:45
My humor is for the silent blue collar majority - If my posts offend, slander or you deem inappropriate and seek deletion, contact the webmaster for jurisdiction.

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2017/8/9 18:01
From Bayside Park
Group:
Registered Users
I think the unfinished WTC station is now 2-3x over budget at an estimated $2B. I wonder what the Harrison station will end up costing?

Though I wanted to see the ARC tunnel built and was disappointed to see it cancelled, there is some logic to Christies' decision based on history that the finished product would have massively exceeded the $8B budget. Seems likely given that one station is $2B and counting!

Posted on: 2013/8/15 13:21

Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

Hide User information
Last Login :
2019/2/15 19:25
Group:
Registered Users
I hope they don't forget the elevator this time.

Posted on: 2013/8/14 20:55

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
Group:
Registered Users
Cool. I'm glad they're willing to piss away all that money building that ugly pos instead of putting it to practical use. Bunch of morons.

Posted on: 2013/8/14 20:50

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2019/12/26 15:30
From GV Bayside Park
Group:
Registered Users
Resized Image

New Harrison Station

Posted on: 2013/8/14 20:20

Hide User information
Last Login :
2015/5/28 21:45
From jersey city
Group:
Registered Users
At WTC Around 12:30pm they said it was signal failure on the Hoboken line but after taking the Hoboken train out of service and shoving us all on the Newark train they then opened the doors on the Hoboken train and gave us 2 seconds to run across the platform for it before pulling out of the station. Most people stayed on the Newark train not knowing what to do. Good luck indeed.

Posted on: 2013/8/2 18:31

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
From Soho West
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

JCMan8 wrote:
Don't worry guys. The unaccountable Port Authority just wasted $60 million and no one knows how or why. Our taxdollars and fare money is being put to good use.

But don't expect anyone to actually get fired over this. After all, $60 million of taxpayer money is like monopoly money, right??

http://www.nj.com/news/index.ssf/2013 ... s_insurance_premiums.html

Can't wait to see the PATH defenders spin this one. $60 million goes nowhere but god forbid they have a bus service after Sandy.

Posted on: 2013/8/2 18:24

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2020/4/26 22:05
Group:
Registered Users
Not sure what exactly happened, but service on the JSQ/33rd St line was suspended for a little over an hour (from shortly before noon, until shortly after 1 PM). Of course, no explanations in the PA alerts.

Wouldn't be surprised if more delays happen later today. Good luck everyone.

Posted on: 2013/8/2 17:19

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2022/2/28 7:31
From 280 Grove Street
Group:
Registered Users
Resized Image

Posted on: 2013/7/27 6:53
My humor is for the silent blue collar majority - If my posts offend, slander or you deem inappropriate and seek deletion, contact the webmaster for jurisdiction.

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2018/2/1 3:02
From JC
Group:
Registered Users
Don't worry guys. The unaccountable Port Authority just wasted $60 million and no one knows how or why. Our taxdollars and fare money is being put to good use.

But don't expect anyone to actually get fired over this. After all, $60 million of taxpayer money is like monopoly money, right??

http://www.nj.com/news/index.ssf/2013 ... s_insurance_premiums.html

Posted on: 2013/7/27 4:08

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2019/5/9 22:13
Group:
Registered Users
When I went to the WTC station around 7pm, I guess a train just arrived (or maybe several)? I've never seen so many people leaving the PATH train station!!!

Posted on: 2013/7/27 0:11

Hide User information
Last Login :
2016/6/6 16:57
Group:
Registered Users
I was one of the lucky passengers to get stuck underground on the train for about an hour and a half on my commute home to JC tonight (7/26). At some points we were riding backwards. Towards the end, the lights on the train went out. There were weird smells coming from the back of the train causing some worry.

A truly fantastic voyage home at the end of a long work week.

I just emailed PATH for some sort of refund for the sake of my time and my sanity, which was quickly deteriorating towards the end of that shit-storm of a ride home.

Posted on: 2013/7/27 0:07

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
Group:
Registered Users
What happened? I went to the WTC, and my commute was seamless.

Posted on: 2013/7/26 23:35

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2020/3/22 6:01
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

Clifton_Hanger wrote:
Looks like another shitty/Friday afternoon/evening summer commute on the PATH according to all of the alerts.

aaaaand just in time for a major event on Pier A in Hoboken (Wilco / Bob Dylan concert).

way to show off that world-class system, Port Authority.

Posted on: 2013/7/26 23:17

Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

Hide User information
Last Login :
2022/2/14 17:51
From Chilltown
Group:
Registered Users
Looks like another shitty/Friday afternoon/evening summer commute on the PATH according to all of the alerts.

Posted on: 2013/7/26 22:52

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
From Soho West
Group:
Registered Users
Hahaha. The PATH be proactive and expand?

Remember the PATH being expanded to EWR?

Remember the extension of the 7 line?

Me too. None has happened.

This morning a news article was released detailing how the Port Authority overpaid its insurance premiums to the tune of tens of millions. That- and ever rising pensions and salaries, and ever fewer trains, and ever rising tolls and fares- is progress for the dear Port Authority.

The Port Authority's control over public transportation needs to be handed over to the MTA or NJ Transit. I would agree with those that decry those as inept, feckless, and corrupt organizations, but they nonetheless are less all of those qualities than the PATH.

More importantly, however, is that they actually actively expand and seek to expand their current services.

Whether this line comes to fruition or not- the fact is the PA serves only its employees and political patrons, not the riders. The current setup by governors creates a situation where the Republican governor does not give $0.2 about us in Hudson County and the Democratic governor across the river the same about Staten Island when we are the primary users of PA services. Enough is enough.

Would love to see Booker talk about this.

Posted on: 2013/7/26 16:11

« 1 ... 31 32 33 (34) 35 36 37 ... 60 »

[Advanced Search]

Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!

LicenseInformation | AboutUs | PrivacyPolicy | Faq | Contact

JERSEY CITY LIST - News & Reviews - Jersey City, NJ - Copyright 2004 - 2017