Register now !    Login  
Main Menu
Who's Online
101 user(s) are online (88 user(s) are browsing Message Forum)

Members: 0
Guests: 101

more...

Browsing this Thread:   1 Anonymous Users

Re: Bergen Hill - Grand @ Summit
Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2023/9/5 18:27
From Bergen Hill
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

verlp wrote:
Hi,

We are considering a move to this area. Would love feedback from those who know the area in terms of safety and in terms of neighborhood/community feel.

Have read about Whitlock Cordage and Berry Lane Park.

Currently live downtown close to Hoboken border.

Thanks.

I live a couple blocks away from here. Prior to my dogs surgery, I?d walk him past there just about every day. I never ran into any issues. A few blocks down in Lafayette Park and then you have Lafayette Pool. Every time I walk past the pool, I want to get in there.

Down on Garfield, you have Berry Lane Park (http://www.thejcra.org/index.php?p=project-details&pid=32). It?s a massive project to build a bunch of fields and park land to the area. It?ll take a little while to finish, but I?m pretty excited about it.

In terms of safety? Some people are dramatic. While I wouldn?t spend my time walking around at 11 at night, you?ll be rather safe between the hours of 5am ? 9 pm, at least those are the hours I?ve walked around there.

The real key is the price. When you?re home, you?ll be inside, for the most part. However, if you want to go out, it?s less than $10 to take you downtown in a cab.

Every morning and every evening, I walk to and from JSQ. The walk, door-to-door, is 20 minutes. I normally get home about 7:45pm but there have been a few times in which I?ve arrived around 8:30 and I?ve not had any issues.

In terms of community, I love my neighbors. With the building referenced a couple blocks from me, I can?t state that the neighbors or community feel is the exact same. However, people always wave and say hi to me when I?m walking my dog around there.

Posted on: 2013/8/20 18:26
Dos A Cero

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2023/6/11 23:48
From Western Slope
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

verlp wrote:
Thanks for the feedback. We weren't considering the area at all but stumbled upon a great condo at a great price. We fully understand why the price is low. Just trying to decide if its worth it.

Just curious whats the sq/ft of the unit, and the maintenance cost, also do you get parking & W/D ? And if I can really push how $$ much ??

Posted on: 2013/8/14 11:05
Get on your bikes and ride !

Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

Hide User information
Last Login :
2017/5/22 22:59
Group:
Registered Users
Moved to the area 2 years ago, got tired of renting in "luxury" apartments and wanted to own/buy. Did some research and decided to on Bergen Hill two blocks up Summit from Grand.
Never had a problem, neighbors are very friendly. I dont go walking around 2-3am and there are some hot spots but overall I am very happy with my decision.

Posted on: 2013/8/13 23:59

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2020/10/5 21:44
Group:
Registered Users
Take a drive around the area at night and see for yourself.

Posted on: 2013/8/13 23:38

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2017/4/20 19:08
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

verlp wrote:
Hi,

We are considering a move to this area. Would love feedback from those who know the area in terms of safety and in terms of neighborhood/community feel.

Thanks.

Look for objective data.

Neighborhood demographics: http://www.city-data.com/neighborhood ... -Hill-Jersey-City-NJ.html

Crimes:
http://spotcrime.com/nj/jersey+city
http://www.neighborhoodscout.com/nj/jersey-city/crime/

Your safety is the most important thing. Ask yourself, how much is an increased likelihood of assault, robbery, or murder worth to you? Then you can accurately assess where you should live

Posted on: 2013/8/13 19:16

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2019/12/26 15:30
From GV Bayside Park
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

hero69 wrote:
does the light rail go near the park? i'd like to check it out sometime

Yes, take the West Side LR to Garfield the park is directly across the street.

Posted on: 2013/8/13 17:36

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2023/1/30 21:43
Group:
Registered Users
does the light rail go near the park? i'd like to check it out sometime

Posted on: 2013/8/13 17:33

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2015/3/10 21:37
From The Heights.
Group:
Registered Users
Safety is the biggest issue there, however, the area is slowly beginning to change and gaining more people willing to invest. As a long term investment its interesting but you would have to deal with the immediate negatives.

Posted on: 2013/8/13 17:30

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2019/10/14 1:50
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

verlp wrote:

Thanks.

When complete, Whitlock Cordage will transform that area by creating greater demand for improved services and eating/drinking/shopping options, especially on Communipaw. However, that project has been in limbo for so long it's not worth factoring into your decision. (I've lived in the neighborhood just south of WM for 4+ years.)

Berry Lane Park is coming along nicely and bodes really well for the future. The lift of having a main entrance to the neighborhood clear of industrial rubble should be substantial, perhaps more psychologically than economically.

I walk around the area you're looking at quite a bit, and I've always found it interesting. Then again, I freely admit that my tastes and interests aren't aligned with those of many who post here. Depending on your commute, lifestyle and how long you plan to stay in the area it could be a good move or a frustrating one. I'd set an expectation of at least 3 years to see more than incremental changes.

Posted on: 2013/8/13 16:34

Hide User information
Last Login :
2020/2/28 22:40
From Astor Place Neighborhood
Group:
Registered Users
Thanks for the feedback. We weren't considering the area at all but stumbled upon a great condo at a great price. We fully understand why the price is low. Just trying to decide if its worth it.

Posted on: 2013/8/13 16:15

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2019/12/26 15:30
From GV Bayside Park
Group:
Registered Users
Its hot from time to time with drug sales, I know at least four ex dtjc renters who are now living there and paying half the rent they paid dtjc. I know there are few bars, a pretty descent soul food restaurant and a cafe which host live shows in the area, I live about a half mile from there and I ride my bike through from time to time to either visit the herb shop, or the soul cafe when meeting friends.

It can be sketchy at night so be careful. but the reality is more and more people are moving uptown which is nice because the streets are starting to seem more populated. To me this part of town has a feel of Bed-stuy, late 80's, Harlem mid 90's and Chelsea early 80's... some development has started especially near Communipaw, and with Berry Lane is in the works as you mentioned. Good Luck!

Posted on: 2013/8/13 14:12

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2020/9/30 18:46
From Van Vorst Park
Group:
Registered Users
Also not sure if you're looking to buy or rent, but Journal Square would be a much more sound investment.

Posted on: 2013/8/13 14:05

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2020/9/30 18:46
From Van Vorst Park
Group:
Registered Users
There are some nice looking houses in that vicinity, but I think that safety is an issue, particularly after dark. Berry Lane Park will be coming nearby, and you wouldn't be terribly far from the Light Rail which would take you to Path. I don't know your situation, but for a similar price point, why not look at Journal Square? Much more convenient for public transit, safer, and more restaurants and things to do.

Posted on: 2013/8/13 14:03

Bergen Hill - Grand @ Summit

Hide User information
Last Login :
2020/2/28 22:40
From Astor Place Neighborhood
Group:
Registered Users
Hi,

Thanks.

Posted on: 2013/8/13 13:23

[Advanced Search]

Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!

LicenseInformation | AboutUs | PrivacyPolicy | Faq | Contact

JERSEY CITY LIST - News & Reviews - Jersey City, NJ - Copyright 2004 - 2017