Register now !    Login  
Main Menu
Who's Online
119 user(s) are online (96 user(s) are browsing Message Forum)

Members: 0
Guests: 119

more...

Browsing this Thread:   1 Anonymous Users

(1) 2 »

Re: Projects around A condos
Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2023/2/6 21:56
Group:
Registered Users
$200M luxury Jersey City high-rise to feature club room, yoga studio, dog run

By Terrence T. McDonald/The Jersey Journal

The rapidly changing Downtown Jersey City skyline will soon have a new addition, with officials ceremonially breaking ground today on a 38-story, 311-unit luxury apartment building known as M2.

Developed by Mack-Cali/Roseland and Garden State Development Inc., and adjacent to the 40-story Marbella tower on Washington Street, the $200 million high-rise will be ?the most highly amenitized? residential building in Jersey City, according to its lead developer.

M2 will feature an enclosed terrace on the top floor that overlooks the Hudson River and Manhattan skyline; a 1,700-square-foot club room with a billiard table and lounge; a fitness center and yoga studio; and an on-site dog run. It will be located at 401 Washington St., between Fourth and Sixth streets.

READ MORE

Posted on: 2013/12/4 21:24

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2020/9/30 18:46
From Van Vorst Park
Group:
Registered Users
The garages are AWFUL, aesthetically. I also wish something could be done. They destroy the street scape.

Posted on: 2013/11/25 14:27

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2014/12/21 14:01
Group:
Banned
Quote:

hero69 wrote:
its a shame thhe city doesn't forcee developers to better camouflage the fugly garages, even if it costs more. what about vertical gardens or artwork

http://www.flickr.com/photos/bighw/3890534007/

Brilliant idea! Avignon did this to hide some walls of its Central Market's garage.

Posted on: 2013/11/25 12:20

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2023/1/30 21:43
Group:
Registered Users
its a shame thhe city doesn't forcee developers to better camouflage the fugly garages, even if it costs more. what about vertical gardens or artwork

Posted on: 2013/11/25 8:42

Quite a regular
Quite a regular

Hide User information
Last Login :
2015/2/3 2:12
From Jersey City, NJ
Group:
Registered Users
We updated the previous link with the new Marbella II rendering.

Posted on: 2013/11/25 3:36

Quite a regular
Quite a regular

Hide User information
Last Login :
2015/2/3 2:12
From Jersey City, NJ
Group:
Registered Users
Marbella II Breaks Ground on Washington Blvd

Link to our post

Best,
JC Life

Posted on: 2013/11/7 14:44

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2018/7/16 0:04
Group:
Registered Users
The "Pier Six" office building at Newport rises 17-stories

Posted on: 2013/8/9 14:40

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2016/8/22 17:09
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

tictaktoe wrote:
Apart from Marbella 2 on north, 110&111 2nd street in west, are there any proposed projects near A condos? Especially, anything in the triangular patch between greene and washington, or the parking lot opposite Harborside Light rail ?

I heard that an office building on the pier might come up but it will not go above 7-9 floors high. Is this correct?

Thanks!

Right behind it!

110 First St. - 35 Stories: picture
Lloyd Goldman's BLDG Management and the Athena Group

350 rental units and will reach 375 feet,. The building, which will also have 15,000 square feet of ground-floor retail space, was approved for over 450 units.

Posted on: 2013/8/9 14:23

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2022/6/15 16:59
From Mars
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

hero69 wrote:
hopefully the port authority will do something creative with the exterior of the substation - but i don't really think the port authority has much imagination when it comes to areas west of the hudson

One only has to look to the World Trade Center to understand they have no imagination on either side of the Hudson.

Posted on: 2013/2/1 3:58

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
Group:
Registered Users
hopefully the port authority will do something creative with the exterior of the substation - but i don't really think the port authority has much imagination when it comes to areas west of the hudson

Posted on: 2013/2/1 2:49

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2017/4/14 0:40
Group:
Registered Users
Anyone who lives in A Condos should be aware that the plan for the triangular lot across the street & next to the Power House is to put in a relatively nondescript substation building about as tall as the Powerhouse itself. It was actually recently redesigned to be taller because the electrical equipment had to be put on the second floor instead of the first floor due to flooding concerns. I believe the height to penthouse level will be around 60 ft - 70 ft above the ground.

The land was transferred to the Port Authority as part of a deal that transferred the Powerhouse to the city.

Posted on: 2013/2/1 2:45

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
From Van Vorst Park
Group:
Registered Users
Does anybody know when construction on 111 First will commence? It has been a pile of dirt for a long time!

Posted on: 2013/1/31 22:08

Re: Projects around A condos (110 First)
Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2019/7/1 19:35
Group:
Registered Users
Construction starting at 110 First Street :
Surveyors, men in suits and now they are moving dirt and other fill to 111 First's vacant lot. They are also assembling a double wide at 111 First.
Now the PAD has two buildings (158 First) under construction - let's see when Toll Brothers will start their buildings and MacKali east of Trump and Powerhouse.

Posted on: 2013/1/22 15:52

Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

Hide User information
Last Login :
2022/10/4 13:18
Group:
Registered Users
Thanks for your reply.

I had the opportunity to attend the session orgnanized by A Condos where someone from Jersey City Development and Weichart Reality came to speak. Few take outs -

1. While earlier there was a plan to shift some of Avalon Cove buildings (south side) towards the tennis court, and build a tower building, these plans are shelved for now. However, that doesnt mean that there will not be anything that may come up in future.

2. The proposed office building in the marina (south of Newport) may be 10 floors tall.

3. The power house equipment will get shifted in the triangular patch between Green and Washington. The plan is to put it under the ground, however, he believes that may be some part will stay above as well. For now, there is no plan to build any building, but it is open in future and something might come up.

4 MacKali's "Piles of Books" building should be up in the next two years and the construction should start by the end of this year.

5. From the responses and reactions, I gathered that the condo value should go down when all these constructions start coming up.

Posted on: 2012/6/24 0:32

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
From Mars
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

1. Coming back to the original question, if I plan to buy something in A condo, does it make sense to delay because the new construction around the building will impact its sales price negatively?

Don't pay for views in Jersey City. There are too many lots, too many coming soon developments. Its hard to say what properties will be built on next year and what will be built on in five years or ten years, but especially around A, there are plans for high rise towers on every immediate lot around the building except that little triangle directly in front. But a condo if you can afford the price, like the location, like the neighborhood, but don't pay for views at A or anywhere.

Quote:

2. For all practical purpose, the current view on the east side of the building will get blocked once these buildings come up ("Piles of Books" looks really tall!". Right?

Don't pay for views.

The Avalon property could get a tower. the empty lots on Hudson could get really big towers. Or none of this could happen.

Quote:

3. None of these residential projects around A condo are condo but rather just rental ones. None. Right?

The towers most likely to be completed in the next two or three years will be rental. But the Hudson Square development isn't really close enough to construction to know. 110 First has gone back and forth between condo and rental over the course of its proposed phases as has 111 First. The only thing that is certain right now is that large scale rental projects are moving forward around the city because financing is available for them and rental prices are rising. That could change in year, and condos could become preferred, or five years.

Quote:

4. And finally, are there any condo development happening in waterfront JC area at all? I heard that there is some activity happening just beyond Aquablue but I am not sure if those are condos or rentals. And if there are any condos, any idea if one can buy those?

Any ideas?

Lefrak tends to build rentals along the water and bury the condos behind that, so the new Laguna is likely going to be rental. Rentals are the thing right now because rents are rising and because its easier to get financing for rental towers.

Posted on: 2012/6/17 16:36

Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

Hide User information
Last Login :
2022/10/4 13:18
Group:
Registered Users
This is really some deep info about the area, and I'm glad I asked this question here (I'm new to JC). Thanks for answering it so comprehensively. Appreciate it. Four quick follow-ups -

1. Coming back to the original question, if I plan to buy something in A condo, does it make sense to delay because the new construction around the building will impact its sales price negatively?

2. For all practical purpose, the current view on the east side of the building will get blocked once these buildings come up ("Piles of Books" looks really tall!". Right?

3. None of these residential projects around A condo are condo but rather just rental ones. None. Right?

4. And finally, are there any condo development happening in waterfront JC area at all? I heard that there is some activity happening just beyond Aquablue but I am not sure if those are condos or rentals. And if there are any condos, any idea if one can buy those?

Any ideas?

Posted on: 2012/6/16 8:01

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
From Van Vorst Park
Group:
Registered Users
I guess my point is why would you go through the effort and hassle of getting your car out of the garage, just to drive 1/8 of a mile on inefficient one way streets with traffic lights when you can walk there in under 10 minutes.

Posted on: 2012/6/15 18:53

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2017/4/20 19:08
Group:
Registered Users
Regarding newport, I'm saying it's easier to take the elevator down to the garage, get your car out and drive to BJs or target and save $100 compared to buying from Morton Williams or Shoprite.

Most of those condo/rental buildings have some form of garage.

Posted on: 2012/6/15 17:52

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
From Van Vorst Park
Group:
Registered Users
Maybe we're on different pages here. Let's get something straight - there is no place like Manhattan. Not in this metro area, or in any other metro area in this country. I wouldn't expect JC to be like Manhattan in character, just like I wouldn't expect anywhere in Brooklyn, Queens, Bronx, or Staten Island, Westchester, or Long Island to be anything like Manhattan. But what does being like Manhattan or not being like Manhattan have to do with anything regarding the walkability of a place?

I cook almost every night, granted it's usually for one person, but what i do each night is stop at one of the small grocers when I get off the Path to get whatever veggies I need for that given night's dinner (I keep chicken and fish in my freezer, which I purcahse every 2-3 months from Trader Joe's on 6th Avenue, and I keep dry grains like rice and couscous at all times in my pantry). So even if I was cooking for 3-5 people, all I would need to carry on my walk from the grocer to my house is an extra stalk or two of broccoli. People who live in a city without a car don't really do big grocery shopping trips with a carload of groceries. Well I mean I'm sure some do, but not most, and it's certainly less convenient in a very dense city where it can take you just as long to drive somewhere and park as it would to just get of your butt and walk.

Regarding Newport ... are you saying it's easier to go retrieve your car wherever it's parked, take the car out of the parking garage from whatever floor it's on, drive 2 blocks to Morton Williams or Shoprite, find parking there ... than to just walk a few blocks? That kind of thinking is for very suburban-minded, and in my opinion lazy, people. They make little wire carts that you can walk with and put groceries in, haven't you seen those?

And I think Newport is a little ugly, but I don't see a lack of walkability in Newport.

Posted on: 2012/6/15 16:07

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
Group:
Registered Users
I don't think JC is a suburb like Holmdel or Marlboro but it's not Manhattan for the sole reason it's in NJ. People move to NJ because they have kids, need more space, or can't afford NY rents.

If you have kids, it's almost impossible to buy the amount of groceries you need without a car.

I think certain neighborhoods are more walkable than others. Newport is not one of those neighborhoods - if you need to cross a major road to shop with cars zipping by at 30mph, that is not a great walkable area.

Exchange place with it's lack of restaurants is not a great walkable area either.

I would say the area around grove street is walkable and you can survive without a car. You got the duane reade for groceries and plenty of restaurants and hangouts.

Posted on: 2012/6/15 15:14

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
From Van Vorst Park
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

vindication15 wrote:
So shoprite and bjs will be split or they will be replaced? Those are two different things.

ianmac47 - You do know that BJs is a private business so they do have to agree to close down or move...

tommyc_37 - JC is not car-centric? Do you think Jersey City is Manhattan? lol One of the most wealthy areas of JC - Newport - basically requires you to have a car because of its residential layout to stores. You'll have to get across major roads to shop at A&P, Target, etc.

Downtown JC is absolutely NOT car-centric. Any place where it's more of a hassle to own a car than it is an advantage, is not a car-centric place.

Do I think JC is Manhattan? No. But Manhattan is pretty much the poster child for American urbanism and walkability, and I think JC could and should incorporate those concepts into all of it's new development. That being said, Jersey City is the 2nd densest city of over 100k population IN THE US, outside of NYC. What does that tell you?

Posted on: 2012/6/15 11:46

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
From Mars
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

vindication15 wrote:

Didn't know that actually. Thank you for telling me.

You're welcome.

Posted on: 2012/6/15 4:39

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:
ianmac47 wrote:

Vindication15 -- You do know that I am more intelligent than you... Metro Plaza is owned by a New York based real estate development company, not Shop Rite, Bed Bath and Beyond, or BJs, all retailers who ordinarily lease commercial space rather than own it. G&S Investors, the owners of the property underneath these stores, at one time had planned on developing the property into a mixed use, 8 tower complex featuring plenty of retail spaces in the base of the proposed towers. The complex was tentatively named Hudson Square. The crown jewel of this complex was to be the tallest residential tower in New Jersey, the Metropolitan with more than 800 residential units originally intended to break ground in the summer of 2007 when the Pep boys lease expired. They were going to do this not because Pep boys was unprofitable, but because the property owners had a long term, 20 year plan to develop more profitable properties.

Didn't know that actually. Thank you for telling me. I kind of figured you were very intelligent when you declared that a 24/7 concierge building, stainless steel appliances, floor to wall windows, a gym in the building, maybe a pool was not considered luxurious.

http://jclist.com/modules/newbb/viewt ... id=291424#forumpost291424

In any case, I'll believe it when I see it. That BJs will stay, especially in this economy. There's at least 10 other developments currently underway or that is scheduled to be underway in the next few years - I think there will be an influx to downtown but it won't be that much...there's plenty of land that is vacant for them to build high rises. Doesn't make any economic sense to shut down that BJs and build a high rise in place of it.

I agree with you on one thing - pep boys is unprofitable. So is bed bath and beyond. The only store there that is profitable is BJs and maybe shoprite

Posted on: 2012/6/15 1:11

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2020/5/9 11:15
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

vindication15 wrote:
One of the most wealthy areas of JC - Newport - basically requires you to have a car because of its residential layout to stores. You'll have to get across major roads to shop at A&P, Target, etc.

A large number of people in Newport do not have cars but still shop at SR & Target. all stores are a 10 minute walk from the residential towers. I lived for a few years without a car I bought a car when I worked outside of Manhattan and needed one.

Posted on: 2012/6/14 17:39

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
From Mars
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

vindication15 wrote:
So shoprite and bjs will be split or they will be replaced? Those are two different things.

ianmac47 - You do know that BJs is a private business so they do have to agree to close down or move...

Vindication15 -- You do know that I am more intelligent than you...

Metro Plaza is owned by a New York based real estate development company, not Shop Rite, Bed Bath and Beyond, or BJs, all retailers who ordinarily lease commercial space rather than own it.

G&S Investors, the owners of the property underneath these stores, at one time had planned on developing the property into a mixed use, 8 tower complex featuring plenty of retail spaces in the base of the proposed towers. The complex was tentatively named Hudson Square.

The crown jewel of this complex was to be the tallest residential tower in New Jersey, the Metropolitan with more than 800 residential units originally intended to break ground in the summer of 2007 when the Pep boys lease expired. They were going to do this not because Pep boys was unprofitable, but because the property owners had a long term, 20 year plan to develop more profitable properties.

Posted on: 2012/6/14 17:33

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
Group:
Registered Users

tommyc_37 - JC is not car-centric? Do you think Jersey City is Manhattan? lol One of the most wealthy areas of JC - Newport - basically requires you to have a car because of its residential layout to stores. You'll have to get across major roads to shop at A&P, Target, etc.

Posted on: 2012/6/14 16:26

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
From Van Vorst Park
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

CdeCoincy wrote:
JKLM and Hero thanks the links - The temporary nature of Metro Plaza was a given from the day it was proposed, as I recall. For me, the city's urbanization/desuburbanization policy is very encouraging.

Agreed, the less JC looks like a suburb, the better. The whole stretch of Marin Blvd is actually kind of gross looking. Metro Plaza, with a ShopRite, Bed Bath and Beyond, Pep Boys (!), and BJ's is something that only has a place in a car-centric suburb, which JC is not.

I just hope that if and when that parcel of land does get redeveloped, it is in a smart way, and the street grid and housing will be incorporated into the existing city and not isolated. Towers can be cool (if they have retail on ground floor and not parking garages) but I also hope dense, low-rise housing is also built (rowhouse style).

Posted on: 2012/6/14 16:09

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
Group:
Registered Users
Great to see that developers are coming back to JC, but let's hope the city doesn't squander an opportunity (LOL!) to make JC better for all of us, or at least those of us living downtown (LOL!). Seriously, the city needs to do something about the chronic downtown flooding.

Also, City planners and local developers need to pay more attention to developing places like Brooklyn because people in Jersey don't seem to get it imo

Posted on: 2012/6/14 14:22

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
From Mars
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

vindication15 wrote:
To the poster who suggested that high rises will replace bjs...laugh

No condo or rental will ever be as profitable as that bjs. Have you ever shopped their on the weekends? It makes Black Friday at Best buy look like a deserted town....

Irrelevant. The property will eventually sport high rise towers. There is already at least one site plan calling for 8 towers. The Metropolis tower was to be the first. Like most projects, it was delayed after the financial sector imploded.

The value of the land will outstrip any profit BJ's has. Skyscrapers are machines that make the land pay.

Posted on: 2012/6/14 13:53

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2014/12/21 14:01
Group:
Banned
JKLM and Hero thanks the links - The temporary nature of Metro Plaza was a given from the day it was proposed, as I recall. For me, the city's urbanization/desuburbanization policy is very encouraging.

Posted on: 2012/6/14 12:23

(1) 2 »

[Advanced Search]

Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!

LicenseInformation | AboutUs | PrivacyPolicy | Faq | Contact

JERSEY CITY LIST - News & Reviews - Jersey City, NJ - Copyright 2004 - 2017