Register now !    Login  
Main Menu
Who's Online
115 user(s) are online (99 user(s) are browsing Message Forum)

Members: 0
Guests: 115

more...

Browsing this Thread:   1 Anonymous Users

(1) 2 »

Re: First killing under the new administration.
Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
3/21 23:34
Group:
Registered Users
A downtown neighbor told me family members who live near St. Peter?s University witnessed an incomplete robbery. A man tried to rob someone, but a neighbor knocked on her window and startled the robber. Amazingly, he just left. This almost robber walked past a woman and her infant while holding his gun as the mother and child exit a car. This happened last week.

Posted on: 2014/1/28 20:31

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
3/21 23:34
Group:
Registered Users
The "eye in the sky" has more important things than watch criminals shoot each other and perhaps stop a stray bullet. It must watch the Hyatt Hotel where the players are staying. I am quite sure they have their own security. Oh, I forgot, we are rebranding the city and crime is not part of that image.

Posted on: 2014/1/28 4:10

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2023/11/26 22:12
Group:
Registered Users
Jersey City police arrest man charged with gunning a man down last summer in Greenville

By Michaelangelo Conte/The Jersey Journal
January 27, 2014 at 7:16 PM

Hudson County homicide investigators have charged a Jersey City man with gunning down a 21-year-old man who was shot several times in the torso and limbs on Orient Avenue on July 30, officials said today.

Dashawn Haynes, 21, was arrested last night and charged with murdering Kareem Porter, 21, of Bramhall Avenue, who was shot near Kennedy Boulevard at about 3:40 a.m., Hudson County Prosecutor?s Office spokesman Gene Rubino said.

Porter was rushed to the Jersey City Medical Center and was pronounced dead there shortly after 4 a.m. that morning, Gene Rubino said.

Eyewitness information led to a warrant being issued for Haynes? arrest on Jan. 17. Last night at about 10 p.m. Jersey City police officers spotted Haynes in the area of Dwight Street and Bergen Avenue and took him into custody, Rubino said.

Haynes? bail has been set at $250,000 cash of bond and he is being housed at the Hudson County jail in Kearny. His first court appearance on murder and weapons charges, including possession of a handgun by a felon, is expected to take place tomorrow, officials said.

Porter?s murder was the seventh homicide within a one-month period during a wave of violence in Jersey City last summer.

The motive for Porter?s murder was not available.

http://www.nj.com/hudson/index.ssf/20 ... enville.html#incart_river

Posted on: 2014/1/28 2:37

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2014/12/21 14:01
Group:
Banned
Quote:

user1111 wrote:
Quote:

JCNewJersey wrote:
Welcome to Jersey City, the murder capital of New Jersey.

Indeed, where the average citizens don't mind walking over a dead body, but despise dog sh*t. Just another day in the neighborhood.

http://www.nbcnews.com/video/nightly-news/51091886#51091886

Posted on: 2013/8/8 17:57

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2019/12/26 15:30
From GV Bayside Park
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

JCNewJersey wrote:

Indeed, where the average citizens don't mind walking over a dead body, but despise dog sh*t. Just another day in the neighborhood.

Posted on: 2013/8/8 12:51

Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

Hide User information
Last Login :
2014/10/7 16:42
Group:
Registered Users

Posted on: 2013/8/8 12:14

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
From GV Bayside Park
Group:
Registered Users

Posted on: 2013/8/8 2:06

Quite a regular
Quite a regular

Hide User information
Last Login :
2019/2/19 14:48
From Marion
Group:
Registered Users
In the politically correct world we now suffer in, it doesn't matter how good of a cop one candidate may be. The Civil Service tests are quite a disservice in how dumbed down they have become. They have made it so much easier for people that should not have those jobs, to have them with an advantage. Its not going to make anything better in the long run.

Posted on: 2013/8/3 13:57

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2022/2/28 7:31
From 280 Grove Street
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

SixthBoro wrote:
Quote:

fat-ass-bike wrote:
That is what I was leading to Pebble; You hit the nail on the head.

So my question is that if the average Joe (you and I) on the street is aware of this, why does Police command allow officers off at this time, don't have more cops on the street and increase foot patrols in those known hotspots.

Once again, Comey and the district commanders were all inept and I hope the new Safety Director looks at importing new commanders from anywhere but the current pool of senior JCPD officers.

If you honestly think the district commanders would be from somewhere but JCPD, you're wrong. Its civil service, promotions come by taking tests and promoting officers already on the force. To hire an operational level supervisor from outside would cause a huge lawsuit.

Then the unions are letting down the citizens of JC from employing the BEST person for the role. All it takes is a decade of poor recruiting and we'll end up with inept commanders in the future - This was evident with Comey and the current senior brass all jumping ship before we really know the extent of damage they caused and what was truely going on.

I have faith the new Safety Director will uncover years of inept management, polices, procedures and money wasting. I still recall all those officers working on construction sites doing absolutely nothing to help with traffic control - Instead of helping and workling for the city, they were helping themselves in JCPD uniform; it was more cost-effective to work privately then patrol the streets.

Posted on: 2013/8/3 0:23
My humor is for the silent blue collar majority - If my posts offend, slander or you deem inappropriate and seek deletion, contact the webmaster for jurisdiction.

Quite a regular
Quite a regular

Hide User information
Last Login :
2019/2/19 14:48
From Marion
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

fat-ass-bike wrote:

So my question is that if the average Joe (you and I) on the street is aware of this, why does Police command allow officers off at this time, don't have more cops on the street and increase foot patrols in those known hotspots.

Once again, Comey and the district commanders were all inept and I hope the new Safety Director looks at importing new commanders from anywhere but the current pool of senior JCPD officers.

If you honestly think the district commanders would be from somewhere but JCPD, you're wrong. Its civil service, promotions come by taking tests and promoting officers already on the force. To hire an operational level supervisor from outside would cause a huge lawsuit.

Posted on: 2013/8/2 22:23

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2023/9/5 18:27
From Bergen Hill
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

bodhipooh wrote:
Quote:

However, he better start rounding people up and getting more feet on the ground to stamp this out.

Did you miss the other thread about 20% of the police force being out??? Good luck getting "more feet on the ground" when a fifth of the cops are down in the Shore enjoying the Summer weather.

No, I didn?t miss that. That doesn?t stop us from commenting about what needs to be done.

The trick is how to handle the summer vacations. If you are a parent then summer is when the kids are off. Thus, they are most likely to take advantage.

I don?t think we need to put out a ban on summer vacations. But, there definitely needs to be less officers on vacation at once during ?the busy season.?

Quote:

fat-ass-bike wrote:

A friend of mine works for a company that has a blackout period. Between Thanksgiving and the week after New Year, nobody in certain departments is allowed vacation. I think this is something that should be looked into, up to a point. For instance, if you are 5 years or less, no vacation time can be taken in the summer. If you are there 5-10 years, one week off in the summer. On the force 10-15, two weeks off in the summer.

Obviously, such rules would need to go through union negotiations and such. However, it definitely needs to be looked into.

Posted on: 2013/8/2 17:04
Dos A Cero

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2018/1/6 18:15
Group:
Banned
Where is the outrage? Oh wait, there are no political points to score here!

Posted on: 2013/7/31 10:11

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
From GV Bayside Park
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

user1111 wrote:
One dead following shooting in Jersey City, authorities say; 7th murder in city in 5 weeks

Anthony J. Machcinski/The Jersey Journal

One person has died after a shooting in Jersey City overnight, becoming the city's sixth homicide victim this month and 13th overall this year.

Details on the homicide were not immediately available, but Hudson County Prosecutor's Office spokesman Gene Rubino did confirm the victim's death this morning.

The recent homicide brings the overall total to 13 homicides in Jersey City this year, matching last year's record low. The homicide is also the sixth this month and seventh since June 30.

A 21-year-old Jersey City man was gunned down in a hail of gunfire early this morning on Orient Avenue near Kennedy Boulevard, law enforcement officials said.

Kareem Porter, 21, was rushed to the Jersey City Medical Center shortly after shots rang out at 3:40 a.m., but was pronounced dead at the hospital shortly after 4 a.m., Hudson County Assistant Prosecutor Gene Rubino said.

Porter is the city's seventh homicide since June 30.

Responding to reports of shots fired, Jersey City police found Porter on the ground, authorities said.

Porter had several apparent gunshot wounds to his upper body and extremities, Rubino said. Police investigating the homicide found several shell casings at the scene following the incident, Rubino said.

Rubino called the case an "open investigation" and did not say if there are suspects or a suspected motive for the shooting.

Police were still on scene investigating the incident around 10 this morning. Orient has been cordoned off between Kennedy Boulevard and Bergen Avenue.

Jacqueline Bowers, a Jersey City woman who lives in the area, said that the homicide is something that local residents, "have to deal with every day."

"I grew up around here and I'm scared to come up here," Bowers said. "Jersey City has gotten bad. It's worse than Newark. You can't even take your kids outside."

Another Jersey City resident, who lives within a block of the crime scene, said that he was nervous when he heard gunshots this morning.

"When you hear gunshots it makes everyone nervous," the man said. "This is the first time something has happened this close (to me). I'd be nervous if I had children."

The recent homicide brings the overall total to 13 homicides in Jersey City this year, matching last year's record low. The homicide is also the sixth this month and seventh since June 30.

The Hudson County Prosecutor's Office and Jersey City police are investigating the homicide. Anyone with information is asked to call (201) 915-1345. All calls will be kept confidential.

Posted on: 2013/7/30 16:21

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
From 280 Grove Street
Group:
Registered Users

Posted on: 2013/7/30 15:31
My humor is for the silent blue collar majority - If my posts offend, slander or you deem inappropriate and seek deletion, contact the webmaster for jurisdiction.

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2020/4/26 22:05
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

However, he better start rounding people up and getting more feet on the ground to stamp this out.

Did you miss the other thread about 20% of the police force being out??? Good luck getting "more feet on the ground" when a fifth of the cops are down in the Shore enjoying the Summer weather.

Posted on: 2013/7/30 15:27

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2023/9/5 18:27
From Bergen Hill
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

JCNewJersey wrote:
This person was shot dead across from my home. Now it is getting personal and I feel sick to my stomach. You would too.

I'm just a few blocks away.

Quote:

fat-ass-bike wrote:
7 murders in the past 5 weeks and prior to this, 6 murders in 5 months - It would be interesting to know why June and July is so violent and if there is a pattern in history with similar statistics? Is it seasonal with marijuana crops or other drug manufacture that causes gang and drug related murders?

"In the hood summer time is the killing season
It's hot out this bitch that's a good 'nuff reason"
- 50 Cent "Heat"

The weather gets better which means people head out into the streets. They drink, it's hot, someone sets off someone else's temper (mostly because ignorant and poor young men are angry, but they can never explain why) and that sets wheels in motion.

Is the increase in murder Fulop's fault? No. However, he better start rounding people up and getting more feet on the ground to stamp this out.

Posted on: 2013/7/30 15:21
Dos A Cero

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
From 280 Grove Street
Group:
Registered Users
7 murders in the past 5 weeks and prior to this, 6 murders in 5 months - It would be interesting to know why June and July is so violent and if there is a pattern in history with similar statistics? Is it seasonal with marijuana crops or other drug manufacture that causes gang and drug related murders?

Posted on: 2013/7/30 15:03

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
From GV Bayside Park
Group:
Registered Users
One dead following shooting in Jersey City, authorities say; 7th murder in city in 5 weeks

One person has died after a shooting in Jersey City overnight, becoming the city's sixth homicide victim this month and 13th overall this year.

Details on the homicide were not immediately available, but Hudson County Prosecutor's Office spokesman Gene Rubino did confirm the victim's death this morning.

Posted on: 2013/7/30 13:34

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2017/11/7 17:48
From 8th st
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

CapnJon wrote:
another thing I laugh about is how, under Healy, any article in the JJ from littering to murder to drugs to car crashes, earned it's own post on JCList.com - usually with multiple comments about how everything was "Healy's fault"...

Come on people, fair is fair, let's blame Steve for everything as well!

And no, we're not allowed to give him credit for anything good he gets done, because you never gave Healy credit for anything positive either....

(and full disclosure - I am a Fulop supporter!)

There are a few big differences:

1. Healy was here for years
2. Healy was big on saying things were getting better (which true or not, rubbed people the wrong way when talking about a still violent city)
3. Fulop has said the right things (crime is a problem, we're going to do better)
4. Most people recognize that no one can make any sort of impact in a few weeks
5. Have you missed the 3 or 4 threads killing Fulop for not solving all of the city budget problems yet? The guy is certainly not immune from being criticized.

Posted on: 2013/7/30 11:29

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2015/8/5 3:20
From Jersey City Heights
Group:
Registered Users
another thing I laugh about is how, under Healy, any article in the JJ from littering to murder to drugs to car crashes, earned it's own post on JCList.com - usually with multiple comments about how everything was "Healy's fault"...

Come on people, fair is fair, let's blame Steve for everything as well!

And no, we're not allowed to give him credit for anything good he gets done, because you never gave Healy credit for anything positive either....

(and full disclosure - I am a Fulop supporter!)

Posted on: 2013/7/30 3:20

Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

Hide User information
Last Login :
2014/10/7 16:42
Group:
Registered Users
This person was shot dead across from my home. Now it is getting personal and I feel sick to my stomach. You would too.

Posted on: 2013/7/21 0:33

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
From GV Bayside Park
Group:
Registered Users

A 23-year-old Jersey City man was killed in a hail of gunfire early this morning, becoming the fifth homicide victim in Jersey City this month and the 12th overall this year.

The man, who authorities would not identify, was fatally shot on the corner of Harmon Street and Crescent Avenue, according to Hudson County Prosecutor?s Office spokesman Gene Rubino. He was found with multiple gunshot wounds to his upper body, according to Rubino.

The victim was transported to the Jersey City Medical Center, where he was pronounced dead at 12:59 a.m. Rubino said he doesn?t know yet what time the shooting occurred.

The man is the latest victim of a spate of violence the city is experiencing this summer.

Since last Friday, an 18-year-old city man was fatally shot on Virginia Avenue during a robbery, a wheelchair-bound drug dealer was gunned down on Ocean Avenue and a Montgomery Avenue mosque was riddled with bullets

The city saw only 13 homicides all of last year, which city officials said at the time was a record low.

Mayor Steve Fulop has said public safety is a top priority of his. Yesterday, he announced that James Shea, a NYPD deputy police chief, is his pick to lead a new public-safety department.

Yesterday, Fulop called Shea?s appointment a ?significant step? toward curbing violence throughout the city.

Earlier this week, he told The Jersey Journal he has ordered an increased police presence in the south side of the city, where much of the violence has occurred.

Posted on: 2013/7/19 16:49

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
From 280 Grove Street
Group:
Registered Users
Its a no brainer - this is a gang or drug related crime, nothing more nothing less.
More needs to be done for young adults (especially males) of high school age to 25 year olds......JC needs more educational and employment programs for this demographic and socioeconomic group, if they want to reduce gang and drug related crimes.
This minority group lack any direction, future propects when they leave school and often don't have any aptitude to continue with main stream schooling. They also appear to lack positive role models or parental guidance with life choices they make.

Posted on: 2013/7/18 23:50

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
From GV Bayside Park
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

user1111 wrote:
Michaelangelo Conte/The Jersey Journal

A 21-year-old Brooklyn man was gunned down early this morning in a hail of bullets in front of numerous people on a Greenville street in Jersey City, officials said.

"When the cops rolled him over, he had two big holes on his right side and two holes in his upper left chest," said a 50-year-old resident of Dwight Street who lives feet from where Anthony Smith Jr. was shot near Ocean Avenue at about 12:15 a.m. "There were at least 50 kids out here for a party. I heard the shots and by the time I ran down, he was already gone."

Hudson County Assistant Prosecutor Gene Rubino said Smith was attending a party on Dwight Street when he was approached by a man who opened fire on him. The man chased Smith down the street, and continued firing until Smith collapsed, Rubino said.

No motive has been given for the shooting.

Smith was rushed to the Jersey City Medical Center with multiple gunshot wounds to his back, arms, and legs, Rubino said. He was pronounced dead at the hospital.

A 75-year-old resident's car was damaged by a bullet. He said the side of his car facing the street was streaked with blood and firefighters hosed the blood off. When the sound of gunfire woke him, he did not go to see what happened.

"I don't run to the window when someone is shooting a gun," the resident said. "That's when you wind up dead."

A 71-year-old woman said there was a 21st birthday party for her granddaughter at her Dwight Street home last night.

Around the time of the shooting, she said about 17 people were cleaning up inside the house and a few people were saying their good-byes outside the home.

Then "I heard all this commotion outside and someone yelled 'Someone is running,'" the 71-year-old said. "I ran to the window and that's when I heard shots. I told all those girls to go home and no dilly-dallying."

Smith was not at the party, the resident said, adding she was told he came running down the block from Garfield Avenue.

Another resident who identified herself only as Ferdi, said she heard the shots and "looked out and saw the man was in the street face down."

"There were girls all around him screaming and we called the ambulance," said Ferdi, who saw EMS arrive and perform CPR on Smith.

Anyone with information about this shooting is asked to call the Hudson County Prosecutor's Office's Homicide Squad at (201) 915-1345.

Journal staff writer Anthony J. Machcinski contributed to this story.

Ron Zeitlinger/The Jersey Journal

A 19-year-old Jersey City man has been charged in the July 2 murder of a man on Dwight Street, the Hudson County Prosecutor's Office said this morning.

Mulijah Smart, 19, of Pine Street, has been charged on Wednesday with murder and firearms offenses in the death of Anthony Smith Jr., 21. Smart's bail has been set at $500,000 cash only, Hudson County Assistant Prosecutor Gene Rubino said.

MORE PHOTOS

Smith was attending a party on Dwight Street around 12:15 a.m. when he was approached by a man who began shooting at him, authorities have said. The man chased Smith down the street, and continued to fire at him before Smith collapsed in front of a Dwight Street residence near Ocean Avenue.

It was originally reported that Smith was from Brooklyn, but his aunt said today that Smith grew up in Jersey City and had been splitting his time between Jersey City and Maryland, where she lives.

Smart, who was convicted of drug dealing in 2009, was arrested by Jersey City police Wednesday at Audubon and Bergen avenues, Rubino said. According to the criminal complaint, Smart was identified by a witness who saw him shoot Smith.

Smart is expected to make his first court appearance on the charges on Friday, authorities said.

Sheila Graham, Smith's aunt, said her nephew "was a good kid -- he wasn't a troubled kid." She added that Smith attended CREATE High School and a couple other schools, and he played basketball at Snyder High.

"He loved playing basketball," said Graham, who said she had raised Smith since he was 4 or 5 years old after Smith's father died from cancer. "If you wanted to find him all you had to do was go down to the court and there he was."

She is glad someone has been arrested in the case.

"I somewhat relieved," said Graham, "But why was he killed? ... I need a reason why he did it. I don't understand it. I don't think it was random. He sas shot multiple times."

Graham said one of her sons said he knows the accused killer "from school," but could not recall which school or if they attended together.

"I'm not looking for revenge," Graham said. "I want (Smart) to do life in prison. I want him to be punished.I want him to think about what he has done."

Posted on: 2013/7/18 17:40

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2020/1/27 22:17
From Hamilton Park
Group:
Registered Users
ahh - this is interesting "unlawful possession of a weapon and possession of a weapon for unlawful purposes" which is what? an instrument that has a bladed side and pointy end, maybe, a knife?

if that's true, then we're all in possession of a deadly weapon, all located in our very own kitchen, within reach of minors, unlocked and unsecured.

I say we pass laws restricting the sale of these weapons only to those with licenses, background checks for mental illness, and outlawing assault knives (whatever that means - maybe ones that have black handles and grey blades?) obviously these are dangerous tools!

or maybe, somehow, it's really the intent that matters, not the instrument used in homicide.

Quote:

user1111 wrote:
Aiyana Cronk/The Jersey Journal

A Jersey City man was stabbed to death early this morning, authorities said, the third homicide in the city in the past six days.

A Jersey City man, who is believed to live in the same Clerk Street apartment as the victim, has been charged, Hudson County Assistant Prosecutor Gene Rubino said.

Gregory Stone, 25, is charged with murder, unlawful possession of a weapon and possession of a weapon for unlawful purposes, Rubino said. It is the 11th killing in Jersey City this year.

Rubino said the fatal stabbing occurred after a dispute between the two men. According to a criminal complaint, Stone confessed to stabbing the man, whose name has not been released because his family has not yet been notified.
The victim was pronounced dead at the Jersey City Medical Center just after 2 a.m. due to multiple stab wounds, according to the criminal complaint.

Rubino refused to say where the victim was stabbed to death.

Stone is being held at the Hudson County jail in Kearny on $250,000 bail, cash only, and he is expected to appear in Central Judicial Processing court in Jersey City this afternoon.

Posted on: 2013/7/17 20:16

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
From GV Bayside Park
Group:
Registered Users
Aiyana Cronk/The Jersey Journal

A Jersey City man was stabbed to death early this morning, authorities said, the third homicide in the city in the past six days.

A Jersey City man, who is believed to live in the same Clerk Street apartment as the victim, has been charged, Hudson County Assistant Prosecutor Gene Rubino said.

Gregory Stone, 25, is charged with murder, unlawful possession of a weapon and possession of a weapon for unlawful purposes, Rubino said. It is the 11th killing in Jersey City this year.

Rubino said the fatal stabbing occurred after a dispute between the two men. According to a criminal complaint, Stone confessed to stabbing the man, whose name has not been released because his family has not yet been notified.
The victim was pronounced dead at the Jersey City Medical Center just after 2 a.m. due to multiple stab wounds, according to the criminal complaint.

Rubino refused to say where the victim was stabbed to death.

Stone is being held at the Hudson County jail in Kearny on $250,000 bail, cash only, and he is expected to appear in Central Judicial Processing court in Jersey City this afternoon.

Posted on: 2013/7/17 19:25

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
From GV Bayside Park
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

user1111 wrote:

Resized Image

The brother of the 19-year-old Jersey City man who was shot and killed early this morning said the fatal shooting occurred as his brother was trying to stop two men from stealing a cell phone.

The Hudson County Proseuctor's Office said it could not confirm the name of the victim, but Amir Choudry, of Mallory Avenue, told The Jersey Journal this morning that it was his younger brother, Mohammed, 19.

"He was just a great person," said Amir, 28, with a tear in his eye. "He was a very funny guy who loved everyone."

The shooting, Jersey City?s ninth homicide this year, happened after two men robbed Mohammed and a third brother outside the family?s Mallory Avenue home just before 3 a.m. The family ? two parents, three brothers and three sisters ? was up early as their mother finished cooking a Ramadan meal, Amir said.

The two unidentified men grabbed the third brother?s cell phone, leading that brother and Mohammed to chase the men down Mallory toward Virginia Avenue. The brothers shouted to Amir to join them, Amir said.

On Virginia Avenue, one of men fired a single shot back at the brothers, hitting Mohammed on the right side, according to Amir.

?They just turned around and shot him,? he said.

Chevonne Hudson, whose Virginia Avenue home overlooks the crime scene, said she heard commotion outside her apartment, followed by what she originally thought was a firecracker.

"I heard someone shouting, 'No! No! No!' then heard the gunshot," Hudson said.

Amir said Mohammed was unresponsive at the scene, but he is unsure of whether his younger brother died at the scene or en route to the hospital.

?Our brother was holding him, but I think he was dead already,? he said.

Mohammed, a recent Ferris High School graduate, was described by his brother as a fun-loving guy. He wanted to attend college and loved playing cricket with friends in Lincoln Park.

This isn?t the family's first brush with violence since coming over from Pakistan, according to Amir, who said the third brother was robbed at gunpoint while working at a family restaurant in Newark.

?We think this country is so safe, but anyone can be killed at any time,? he said.

Hudson, a mother of two small children, said that the violence outside her home has made her think about moving.

"I'm not sure if I'm going to stay here," Hudson said. "I'm concerned. I have these two young ones. It's really sad."

The Hudson County Prosecutor's Office is still investigating the shooting. Anyone with information on the incident is asked to call (201) 915-1345.

An 18-year-old Jersey City man has been charged with felony murder and robbery in the death of a Jersey City man who was shot to death early this morning, Hudson County Acting Prosecutor Gaetano Gregory announced tonight.

Heru Amun'Tehu, 18, of West Side Avenue, was taken into custody this afternoon and his bail was set at $250,000 cash or bond, authorities said.

Shortly before 3 a.m. today, Muhammad Choudhry, 18, of Mallory Avenue, was found shot in the chest and lying on the sidewalk in front of 268 Virginia Ave., Gregory said. Choudhry's brother said that Muhammad was chasing two men that stole a cell phone from a third brother when he was shot.

Gregory credited the Jersey City Police Department under Acting Chief Joseph Connors, whose agency assisted in the investigation.

The shooting is still under investigation. Anyone with information is asked to call the Hudson County Prosecutor's Office at (201) 915-1345. All calls will be kept confidential.

Posted on: 2013/7/13 14:12

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
From GV Bayside Park
Group:
Registered Users
Rafal Rogoza / The Jersey Journal

Resized Image

A man was fatally shot as gunfire erupted in Jersey City this morning, Hudson County Prosecutor's Office spokesman Gene Rubino said.

The shooting occurred at approximately 6:30 a.m. near the intersection of Wegman Parkway and Ocean Avenue, Rubino said, adding that further details about the incident are forthcoming.

This shooting comes just a day after an 18-year-old city man was shot and killed on Virginia Avenue while chasing two men who robbed his brother of a cell phone.

Posted on: 2013/7/13 14:00

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2017/11/7 17:48
From 8th st
Group:
Registered Users
The amount of crime is still tragic, but I'm not hoping for any of the good old days of my lifetime, because during all of them crime was a hell of a lot worse. Some individual neighborhoods may be worse off now, but overall it's been improving, however slow and painful that improvement may be.

Posted on: 2013/7/12 18:30

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2023/6/11 23:48
From Western Slope
Group:
Registered Users
This area used to be a huge Catholic/Italian ethnic neighborhood now it seems to have gone downhill. It's a shame society has to deal with these problems over a cell phone where sub-humans kill at a whim. I remember the good old days where you were just roughed up over a pair of sneakers boy how times have changed.

Posted on: 2013/7/12 17:36
Get on your bikes and ride !

(1) 2 »

[Advanced Search]

Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!

LicenseInformation | AboutUs | PrivacyPolicy | Faq | Contact

JERSEY CITY LIST - News & Reviews - Jersey City, NJ - Copyright 2004 - 2017