Register now !    Login  
Main Menu
Who's Online
102 user(s) are online (95 user(s) are browsing Message Forum)

Members: 0
Guests: 102

more...

Browsing this Thread:   1 Anonymous Users

« 1 2 3 4 (5) 6 7 8 »

Re: Storefronts on Newark Ave
Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2014/12/15 23:01
Group:
Banned
And for the record, I wouldn't call criticism of Hoboken whining. The homogenous mass of yuppies who love it there can stay there in their insulated hub of blandness.

The point of the Hoboken comparison is to point out what we DON'T want DTJC to become. If any of you guys on here like Hoboken so much, why the hell do you live in DTJC? By all means, move back. We won't be mad at you. In fact, you might find volunteers to help you move :)

But don't try to change the more affordable DTJC to fit your ideal lifestyle. Get a promotion and head back to No-Jokin.

Posted on: 2013/8/6 19:46

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
Group:
Banned
Sorry I'm not sorry but Made with Love and the Greek place were awful. I don't support crappy establishments for the sake of checking the box on my "keep DTJC prosperous" list.

There are many thriving restaurants in DTJC that know how to price things appropriately and fill a need.

Posted on: 2013/8/6 19:42

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2017/11/7 17:48
From 8th st
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

user1111 wrote:

Hoboken sucks! the spillover from Greenville keeps downtown thriving because most dtjc residents do not support anything in JC. They spend their money in NYC. Most of the stores like Made with Love, Its Greek to me are closed because none of you supported it.

Yes, exactly. That's why new businesses like Razza, Thirty Acres, Choc O Pain, Park & Sixth, Barcade & Roman Nose are all struggling so mightily. It isn't at all because those two places weren't that good.

Posted on: 2013/8/6 19:34

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2019/12/26 15:30
From GV Bayside Park
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

RUinHamiltonPark wrote:
There are great restaurants in DTJC. Who says there wasn't?

The problem is that whereas in Hoboken you can leave the restaurant and walk down a street to get a drink, not walk past the dark 99 cents store and metal gates.

That is the difference. I love all the whining about Hoboken. It's so fratty and too many bars. Do you forget it has a 24-7 CVS? Do you forget it has restaurants open until 3AM? What's so "fratty" about about people getting home at 9 and 10 being able to patronize establishments?

It's pretty clear that some JC people want to keep crud around to 1) make sure the rent stays low and 2) some kind of false progressivism. That is the fear of where Hoboken comes from. That and some older people who see someone under 30 and crap their pants- that is, professional people under 30, not spillover from Greenville and elsewhere at some of these places.

Hoboken sucks! the spillover from Greenville keeps downtown thriving because most dtjc residents do not support anything in JC. They spend their money in NYC. Most of the stores like Made with Love, Its Greek to me are closed because none of you supported it.

Posted on: 2013/8/6 19:12

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2016/9/8 19:37
From Soho West
Group:
Registered Users
There are great restaurants in DTJC. Who says there wasn't?

The problem is that whereas in Hoboken you can leave the restaurant and walk down a street to get a drink, not walk past the dark 99 cents store and metal gates.

That is the difference. I love all the whining about Hoboken. It's so fratty and too many bars. Do you forget it has a 24-7 CVS? Do you forget it has restaurants open until 3AM? What's so "fratty" about about people getting home at 9 and 10 being able to patronize establishments?

It's pretty clear that some JC people want to keep crud around to 1) make sure the rent stays low and 2) some kind of false progressivism. That is the fear of where Hoboken comes from. That and some older people who see someone under 30 and crap their pants- that is, professional people under 30, not spillover from Greenville and elsewhere at some of these places.

Posted on: 2013/8/6 19:07

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2015/6/25 17:42
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

JadedJC wrote:

To all the haters who bitch and moan about these JC storefronts not living up to some gentrification fantasy: Get over yourselves and go eat some fried chicken.

This is good advice for almost every contentious topic on this forum. Calm the F down and eat some delicious fried chicken.

Posted on: 2013/8/5 1:12

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2018/2/27 0:25
Group:
Registered Users
Hah, I, too, finally went to Hollywood Chicken for the first time this weekend. I always had it in the back of my mind to check it out, but whenever I walked by I was either not hungry or on a diet. Not bad for the price. I had to two-piece "snack" box, which was way more than enough for dinner. The skin on the drumstick was a tad dry, but the thigh was cooked just right. It could use more seasoning, preferably with more of a spicy kick. All in all, I still prefer the Colonel's original recipe, but this will do for a fast-food fried chicken fix.

To all the haters who bitch and moan about these JC storefronts not living up to some gentrification fantasy: Get over yourselves and go eat some fried chicken. All you've managed to accomplish with your kvetching is drive at least a couple of new customers to Hollywood Chicken.

Posted on: 2013/8/4 19:07

Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

Hide User information
Last Login :
2018/5/16 18:56
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

val7101 wrote:
I like a 2 piece box, 3 if I'm starved. And the fries are pretty decent, but that squishy little dinner roll is really what brings it all together.

This thread made me crave fried chicken. I went to Hollywood for the first time tonight and got the 3 piece dinner box. The people behind the counter were nice and the fried chicken was good.

Posted on: 2013/8/4 0:35

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2023/4/20 13:22
Group:
Registered Users
I like a 2 piece box, 3 if I'm starved. And the fries are pretty decent, but that squishy little dinner roll is really what brings it all together.

Posted on: 2013/8/3 22:41

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2019/12/26 15:30
From GV Bayside Park
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

Lima17 wrote:
Quote:

val7101 wrote:
what exactly is wrong with Hollywood Fried chicken?
and CH Martin? Sounds like a bunch of wannabe Hobokeners who can't afford Hoboken are just hating on some damn fine fried chicken

Is there really a difference in cost of living between DTJC & Hoboken? It's been mentioned here that the avg household incomes in DTJC and Hoboken are about the same.

You get more bang for your money in JC. I have two friends one who lives in Hobo paying 1850 for a 900 square foot 2 bedroom and one who lives in Newport in a 1300 square foot 2 bedroom apt for 1950. So JC is much cheaper. When M.A.E was open, I met quite a few Hoboken transplants that are now renting or purchased in Bergen Lafayette for much less money than they were paying in Hoboken and with much more space.

Posted on: 2013/8/3 21:00

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2017/12/28 0:40
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

val7101 wrote:
and CH Martin? Sounds like a bunch of wannabe Hobokeners who can't afford Hoboken are just hating on some damn fine fried chicken

Is there really a difference in cost of living between DTJC & Hoboken? It's been mentioned here that the avg household incomes in DTJC and Hoboken are about the same.

Posted on: 2013/8/3 17:31

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2020/4/18 19:17
From Way Downtown
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

CdeCoincy wrote:
Quote:

val7101 wrote:

I've never been to Hollywood Chicken, but now I'm going to try it. It gets the same 3.5 stars as Marco and Pepe and Grand Sichuan on Yelp. Does one go with the plat du jour, the fixed price or a la carte?

I get the 3-piece box.

the coleslaw is a little iffy, so I suggest skipping that and getting two mashed potatoes instead.

Posted on: 2013/8/3 17:15

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2014/12/21 14:01
Group:
Banned
Quote:

val7101 wrote:

I've never been to Hollywood Chicken, but now I'm going to try it. It gets the same 3.5 stars as Marco and Pepe and Grand Sichuan on Yelp. Does one go with the plat du jour, the fixed price or a la carte?

Posted on: 2013/8/3 13:08

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2016/3/4 21:43
Group:
Registered Users
I swear, no matter what the subject whether it be dogs, property taxes, tacos, farmer's markets, almost every thread on this message board devolves into this

Posted on: 2013/8/3 3:12

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2023/4/20 13:22
Group:
Registered Users

Posted on: 2013/8/3 2:29

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
Group:
Banned
Wow, you don't give enough credit to the numerous "properly lit and clean" restaurants in DTJC (Satis, Lighthorse, LITM, Skinners, Porto, Marco & Pepe, Abbondanza, Park & Sixth, blah blah blah), and instead focusing on the few eyesores that have been in JC longer than you.

If you like Hoboken so much, move there...oh wait, it's ridiculously expensive for crappy, cramped, outdated apartments. I pay 2/3 as much in DTJC for an apartment twice the size as what I could find in Hoboken. Oh, and I face the water with a large balcony.

I'll take my dollar stores over the bourgeois, homogenous crap you find in Hoboken. Hoboken, where one fist pumping bar resembles the next. A town flooded so many times, it smells worse than the sewage below it (or maybe it's the Aqua di Gio).

Focus on filling the empty lots and closed businesses before you start campaigns to kick out existing vendors.

And FYI, there's a Trader Joe's in Brooklyn Heights, on a street that resembles Newark Ave almost exactly. it's got a wide range of higher end stores and TONS of dollar/low end shops, so...there you go.

Quote:

RUinHamiltonPark wrote:
There is a difference between grit and character and what is currently Newark Avenue.

It should not look like Perth Amboy or Elizabeth. Perth Amboy and Elizabeth don't have 300k condos, nevermind however much the Saffron is going for these days.

It's not a matter of making it look like Washington Street in Hoboken. But that said- you have a lot of things there that people here ask for all the time and instead have to go there and take their money out of the city for.

Sorry but we do not need multiple dollar stores and discount stores, halal groceries, check cashers, among others. Yes I'd rather a bank or dry cleaners, but really what would be nice is a Trader Joe's/(never, ever coming to be side saddle to Hollywood Chicken). How about a sports bar? We have Jordan's. It would be a tragedy to be like Hoboken; we may have drunken frat types instead of our current, preferred situation of shootings outside over there.

It doesn't work both ways; "Oh we're affluent, come here Whole Foods and we'll show you...just imagine all the people stopping in after their jaunt to CH Martin!"

I will ask my Hoboken friends how they are doing forced going to Target for discount needs, the mall for the dollar store, and having properly lit and clean restaurants instead of discount stores. I can imagine they are quite jealous!

Posted on: 2013/8/2 19:04

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2020/3/22 6:01
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

WhoElseCouldIBe wrote:
Quote:

vindication15 wrote:
Quote:

Area_Man wrote:
I shop at the $0.99 store all the time because it's close, cheap, and has things I need.

Maybe you should go in there an browse instead of casting aspersions about the clientele that low cost good providers bring.

Key Foods has some great prices too... BETTER SHUT IT DOWN, IT'S ATTRACTING VAGABONDS

Pass, I don't need poison in my toothpaste, food, and medicine nor do I want lead in the toys I buy for kids in my family.

I also rather pay the extra 3 bucks for chicken than get diarrhea for a week from eating at hollywood chicken

AND I also rather drive to shop rite or A&P than buy expired food at key foods.

Need more info on my shopping habits?

then don't shop there. however, if the area can support these stores, it means people are shopping there whether you like it or not.

Bingo.

This entire thread is pointless. As long as there is enough of a population to frequent these businesses, they will thrive. But, rest assured, the cost of housing will drive out our thrifty neighbors, and Vindy and her pals will have their creepy Xanadu.

Posted on: 2013/8/2 18:53

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2017/8/3 1:06
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

RUinHamiltonPark wrote:
There is a difference between grit and character and what is currently Newark Avenue.

It should not look like Perth Amboy or Elizabeth. Perth Amboy and Elizabeth don't have 300k condos, nevermind however much the Saffron is going for these days.

It's not a matter of making it look like Washington Street in Hoboken. But that said- you have a lot of things there that people here ask for all the time and instead have to go there and take their money out of the city for.

Sorry but we do not need multiple dollar stores and discount stores, halal groceries, check cashers, among others. Yes I'd rather a bank or dry cleaners, but really what would be nice is a Trader Joe's/(never, ever coming to be side saddle to Hollywood Chicken). How about a sports bar? We have Jordan's. It would be a tragedy to be like Hoboken; we may have drunken frat types instead of our current, preferred situation of shootings outside over there.

It doesn't work both ways; "Oh we're affluent, come here Whole Foods and we'll show you...just imagine all the people stopping in after their jaunt to CH Martin!"

I will ask my Hoboken friends how they are doing forced going to Target for discount needs, the mall for the dollar store, and having properly lit and clean restaurants instead of discount stores. I can imagine they are quite jealous!

we get it, you want stores that fit your preferences. so does everyone else. that's why this area still can support cheaper stores - because the market still prefers it.

Posted on: 2013/8/2 18:51

Quite a regular
Quite a regular

Hide User information
Last Login :
2022/12/30 19:47
Group:
Registered Users
Again, if anyone wants to open a vintage store or something fun, we have a cheap space ($1150 per month /no broker's fee) at Newark & Monmouth.

Resized Image

Posted on: 2013/8/2 18:44

Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

Hide User information
Last Login :
2021/1/29 13:51
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

I am sorry to hear about your delicate sensibilities. Have you ever set food in Key Foods? What there is expired exactly?

also, I wish your property values nothing but the best. When are you planning on selling?

After Sandy, Key Foods had to toss a bunch of meat that was probably no longer legally saleable because of the power outage. Got myself like 12 packages of hot dogs from the dumpster. I should have gone for more. You look at 12 packages of hot dogs in your freezer and it seems like you'll never get through them all. But throw a couple hot dog parties and where does that leave you?

I miss those trash dogs.

Posted on: 2013/8/2 18:40

Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

Hide User information
Last Login :
2016/6/17 18:13
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

vindication15 wrote:
Quote:

Area_Man wrote:
I shop at the $0.99 store all the time because it's close, cheap, and has things I need.

Maybe you should go in there an browse instead of casting aspersions about the clientele that low cost good providers bring.

Key Foods has some great prices too... BETTER SHUT IT DOWN, IT'S ATTRACTING VAGABONDS

Pass, I don't need poison in my toothpaste, food, and medicine nor do I want lead in the toys I buy for kids in my family.

I also rather pay the extra 3 bucks for chicken than get diarrhea for a week from eating at hollywood chicken

I am sorry to hear about your delicate sensibilities. Have you ever set foot in Key Foods? What there is expired exactly?

also, I wish your property values nothing but the best. When are you planning on selling?

Posted on: 2013/8/2 18:30

Edited by Area_Man on 2013/8/2 18:57:26
Reason: typo

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2016/9/8 19:37
From Soho West
Group:
Registered Users

Posted on: 2013/8/2 18:22

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2017/8/3 1:06
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

vindication15 wrote:
Quote:

Area_Man wrote:

then don't shop there. however, if the area can support these stores, it means people are shopping there whether you like it or not.

Posted on: 2013/8/2 18:14

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2020/4/18 19:17
From Way Downtown
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

vindication15 wrote:
Quote:

Area_Man wrote:

Huh. I guess some people are just more dainty than others.

Posted on: 2013/8/2 18:10

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2017/4/20 19:08
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

brewster wrote:
Quote:

vindication15 wrote:
I didn't know there would be so much negativity about closing down 99 cent/discount stores - really? There's like 4-5 of them on DTJC's "premier street"...

Are there really 4 or 5? Care to list them for me? I'd like to patronize the ones I'm missing, maybe I can skip some trips to Central Ave. Far as I know, there's only 99c Dream & Super Discount on Newark. CH Martin is not a dollar store.

I said 99 cent/discount/cheapo stores. CH Martin may not be 99 cent but can we agree that it is discount? I mean, it's not exactly a bloomingdales right?

There's more than 1 99 cent store and a few discount stores.

Posted on: 2013/8/2 17:38

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2023/7/17 17:42
From Hamilton Park
Group:
Banned
Quote:

vindication15 wrote:
I didn't know there would be so much negativity about closing down 99 cent/discount stores - really? There's like 4-5 of them on DTJC's "premier street"...

Are there really 4 or 5? Care to list them for me? I'd like to patronize the ones I'm missing, maybe I can skip some trips to Central Ave. Far as I know, there's only 99c Dream & Super Discount on Newark. CH Martin is not a dollar store.

Posted on: 2013/8/2 17:29

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2017/9/14 20:15
From Crystal Point
Group:
Registered Users
I was looking for a calling card once and walked into 161 Newark. Wow, what a dump! Everything looked used and it had some interesting characters come in and out...

it did not seem like a place people went into to buy merchandise.

Posted on: 2013/8/2 17:28

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

Area_Man wrote:

Posted on: 2013/8/2 17:21

Not too shy to talk
Not too shy to talk

Hide User information
Last Login :
2019/5/20 20:49
Group:
Registered Users
no one is saying get rid of ALL the $0.99 stores. We just don't need 4 of them. And we definitely don't need new ones popping up in the various empty shops.

Posted on: 2013/8/2 17:13

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

VA2015 wrote:
Quote:

vindication15 wrote:

the act of shopping at these stores is cheap and cheapness and ghettoness brings down my property values, which is really all I care about and what all of you should care about.

Some of us think that pricing everyone who is not upper middle class white collar out of JC will make it a boring ass place to live. I moved here because it's not insanely expensive and sanitized. I know plenty of people like me. Many of us started out here because we were kind of broke and it was a decent place to live. Now we are those successful white collar people (architects, IT professionals, academics, etc.) but we haven't forgotten our roots.

We may technically be yuppies (young, urban, and professional) but we also have underemployed friends drowning in student loan debt. We have artist and musician friends struggling to make a name for themselves who we'd like to keep around, because their shows and art openings are what make our neighborhood fun.

And guess what...we're politically active. We go to city council meetings. We helped vote in Fulop. I'd venture to guess that between the heights and downtown there are more of us than there are people you who embody the true yuppie scum stereotype.

Good luck with your property values.

I had no clue that anyone who is not upper middle class shopped at 99 cent/discount/cheapo stores. If that is your circle of friends, I don't think we have the same definition of upper middle class...these stores bring absolutely nothing of value to a neighborhood except vague words like "character", "grit" "insert subjective term here"

Posted on: 2013/8/2 17:12

« 1 2 3 4 (5) 6 7 8 »

[Advanced Search]

Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!

LicenseInformation | AboutUs | PrivacyPolicy | Faq | Contact

JERSEY CITY LIST - News & Reviews - Jersey City, NJ - Copyright 2004 - 2017