Register now !    Login  
Main Menu
Who's Online
127 user(s) are online (104 user(s) are browsing Message Forum)

Members: 0
Guests: 127

more...

Browsing this Thread:   2 Anonymous Users

« 1 ... 4 5 6 (7) 8 »

Re: Storefronts on Newark Ave
Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2022/9/29 17:41
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:
nyrgravey9 wrote: Precisely. Either Mendezia is from Hoboken and didn't like my comparison, or just clueless. Either way, if dollar stores and a little bit of grime keep DTJC from becoming the Douche mecca that is Hoboken, keep em coming! Quote:
I_heart_JC wrote: Quote:
mendezia wrote: Quote:
nyrgravey9 wrote: I may not frequent the dollar stores, etc., but I agree that all upscale, shiny stores isn't the answer. The last thing I want is for DTJC to become Hoboken. Talk about a town that is so homogenous, uninteresting and lacking character...Hoboken is it!! I, along with many of my JC natives, avoid Hoboken at all costs. Don't let DTJC become another Hoboken!!!!
Yes, because the dollar stores and other shitholes really add some much "character" to the DTJC. >facepalm<
they don't promise character. they promise stuff for a dollar. some people in downtown need or want cheap stuff. sorry if that offends you.
Exactly. This is what I dont get. People are moving here from hoboken and NYC and want to change DTJC so it's more like hoboken or NYC. Why not just go back to where you came from if it's so great. What you people are asking for is exactly what Washington St is. Just go there. Please. Whatever. I'm sure the same conversation will be taking place ten years from now except it will be about all the "cheap" stores on Central ave.

Posted on: 2013/8/1 17:48

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2014/12/15 23:01
Group:
Banned
Precisely. Either Mendezia is from Hoboken and didn't like my comparison, or just clueless. Either way, if dollar stores and a little bit of grime keep DTJC from becoming the Douche mecca that is Hoboken, keep em coming! Quote:
I_heart_JC wrote: Quote:
nyrgravey9 wrote: I may not frequent the dollar stores, etc., but I agree that all upscale, shiny stores isn't the answer. The last thing I want is for DTJC to become Hoboken. Talk about a town that is so homogenous, uninteresting and lacking character...Hoboken is it!! I, along with many of my JC natives, avoid Hoboken at all costs. Don't let DTJC become another Hoboken!!!!
Yes, because the dollar stores and other shitholes really add some much "character" to the DTJC. >facepalm<
they don't promise character. they promise stuff for a dollar. some people in downtown need or want cheap stuff. sorry if that offends you.

Posted on: 2013/8/1 17:41

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2020/3/22 6:01
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

Posted on: 2013/8/1 17:37

Hide User information
Last Login :
2014/4/5 17:12
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

letsgomets wrote:
the biggest problem with newark ave isn't the dollar stores, chicken shops, electronic places etc... its that there are too many of them. One dollar store is enough.

The biggest, biggest, biggest problem though is the empty shops. There are several empty storefronts walking towards the path. Instead of kicking out businesses... we ought to fill those empty storefronts first.

EXACTLY - One more pizza/wings/chicken joint, another nail salon, realtor office, or dry cleaners is what we DON'T need . Variety is the spice of life, and is what will serve our nice little diverse community, and sustain the business, whatever it shall be. Alot of old "main street shopping districts" suffer from exactly what Newark Ave is struggling with - been to Perth Amboy or Elizabeth recently? Change is happening, however slowly, and we should each be patronizing our local indepenent businesses in the meantime.

Posted on: 2013/8/1 17:36

Not too shy to talk
Not too shy to talk

Hide User information
Last Login :
2019/5/20 20:49
Group:
Registered Users
the biggest problem with newark ave isn't the dollar stores, chicken shops, electronic places etc... its that there are too many of them. One dollar store is enough.

The biggest, biggest, biggest problem though is the empty shops. There are several empty storefronts walking towards the path. Instead of kicking out businesses... we ought to fill those empty storefronts first.

Posted on: 2013/8/1 17:26

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2017/8/3 1:06
Group:
Registered Users
Manhattan has these stores, too. Also, Grove St. stores have metal gates. Just sayin'.

Posted on: 2013/8/1 17:24

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2023/9/14 15:34
From Hamilton Park
Group:
Registered Users
Things are changing on Newark for the better!

I would like to know though why does it take so long to get anything completed? The Hudson Camera building seems like it has been forever, the building that is vacant by the burned down building has been vacant/being built forever, Word which doesn't even have a kitchen is certainly taking a long time to open up. In the past couple of weeks some of the other storefronts look like they are starting work too. Are these buildings in such disrepair that it takes them this long to be renovated?

Posted on: 2013/8/1 17:21

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2019/12/26 15:30
From GV Bayside Park
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

Bike_Lane wrote:

Some of you guys must think everyone who lives Downtown has a white collar job in Manhattan.

LOL!!!! I love it.

Posted on: 2013/8/1 17:15

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2021/11/20 23:45
From gone
Group:
Registered Users
"Those" storefronts on Newark Ave are there because they have customers who shop there during the daytime, enough customers, in fact, that they can cover the rent every month and pay their employees!

Some of you guys must think everyone who lives Downtown has a white collar job in Manhattan.

Posted on: 2013/8/1 17:13

Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

Hide User information
Last Login :
2017/6/14 13:47
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

Posted on: 2013/8/1 16:55

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2023/8/15 18:42
Group:
Registered Users
Resized Image

People in Manhattan camp out at the dollar stores -- just to get the newest items first. (click image to enlarge)

Posted on: 2013/8/1 16:24

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2016/12/18 14:09
Group:
Registered Users
Newark between Grove st. and just past Erie st. could be turned into a pedestrian mall, with large outdoor seating areas for the restaurants on the block. If the city could purchase and demolish the Morlee's building, the intersection of Bay, Newark, and Erie could be turned into some sort of fountain garden plaza type thing to anchor the pedestrian mall. Not gonna happen anytime super soon but I think it would be cool if it happened someday.

Posted on: 2013/8/1 16:17

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

JaeTea wrote:
I don't care what kind of restaurant moves in as long as they are open past 10pm.

Trying to find any place in DTJC that serves food past 10:30pm is the most ridiculous shit in the world.

Aaaand that is why my diet consists of so much Hollywood chicken.

Posted on: 2013/8/1 15:50

Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

Hide User information
Last Login :
2018/7/5 17:07
Group:
Registered Users
I don't care what kind of restaurant moves in as long as they are open past 10pm.

Trying to find any place in DTJC that serves food past 10:30pm is the most ridiculous shit in the world.

Posted on: 2013/8/1 15:45

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2023/1/30 21:43
Group:
Registered Users
Let the market decide. Newark Ave should not just be for certain types of people, but a mix.

Posted on: 2013/8/1 15:30

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2018/7/19 15:21
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

MikeyTBC wrote:
Quote:

vindication15 wrote:
I'm probably the harshest critic of these store fronts. These stores - rainbow, hollywood chicken, sleep cheap, morlees and numerous discount stores need to close in order for JC to move forward.

K9, barcade, litm, sawadee, two boots, roman nose, the new speakeasy, bonchon, are the types of stores we need..

The smart thing to do would be for the city to secure a contract with a business owner who promises not to open these type of stores and then buy out these existing stores/restaurants.

Simply put, this is repulsive.

Just say it, basically you want less places that are affordable and more places that white people shop.

European American you racist

Posted on: 2013/8/1 15:10

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2022/9/29 17:41
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

vindication15 wrote:
I'm probably the harshest critic of these store fronts. These stores - rainbow, hollywood chicken, sleep cheap, morlees and numerous discount stores need to close in order for JC to move forward.

K9, barcade, litm, sawadee, two boots, roman nose, the new speakeasy, bonchon, are the types of stores we need..

The smart thing to do would be for the city to secure a contract with a business owner who promises not to open these type of stores and then buy out these existing stores/restaurants.

Simply put, this is repulsive.

Just say it, basically you want less places that are affordable and more places that white people shop.

Posted on: 2013/8/1 14:43

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2014/12/15 23:01
Group:
Banned
I may not frequent the dollar stores, etc., but I agree that all upscale, shiny stores isn't the answer. The last thing I want is for DTJC to become Hoboken. Talk about a town that is so homogenous, uninteresting and lacking character...Hoboken is it!!

I, along with many of my JC natives, avoid Hoboken at all costs. Don't let DTJC become another Hoboken!!!!

Posted on: 2013/8/1 14:19

Hide User information
Last Login :
2014/4/8 1:26
Group:
Registered Users
Newark Ave has come a long way a lot if the business owners who own their buildings have redone their signs and or interiors. Look at the hardware store and Morlees I would hate for the neighborhood to become too trendy

Posted on: 2013/8/1 14:12

Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

Hide User information
Last Login :
2017/6/14 13:47
Group:
Registered Users
Down with the dollar and shady electronics stores. There's plenty of those on Central ave and JFK Blvd. Clean it up, put some quality businesses, and you'll see an immediate improvement.

Posted on: 2013/8/1 13:58

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2018/2/27 0:25
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

Dahood wrote:
Even Grove st needs some improvement. Too many halal grocery stores.

I'll eat a meal at Shadman any day over the bland fare at Beechwood or Hard Grove. If anything, there are too many realtor offices on Grove. Three out of the four corner storefronts at Grove & Wayne are realtors.

Posted on: 2013/8/1 12:36

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2018/1/6 18:15
Group:
Banned
Even Grove st needs some improvement. Too many halal grocery stores.

Posted on: 2013/8/1 11:30

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2014/12/21 14:01
Group:
Banned
Quote:

vindication15 wrote:
Negative. Instead of that, I'm bringing more of my NYC'er friends into dtjc. Hopefully enough of us come that a whole foods will come too.

While I am sceptical that a Whole Foods will open because of the presence of you and your friends, I am reasonably sure you would keep a proctologist in business.

Count me in as another who tries to patronize the stores on Newark Avenue. The health food store one door in from Barrow is terrific, and that creepy looking store - National, I think - next to it has precluded a trip into Manhattan more than once.

Helping some older stores to update their signage would perk up the Avenue a lot.

Posted on: 2013/8/1 10:46

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
Group:
Registered Users
For what it's worth, this relative newcomer is a regular at Hollywood chicken. I've also picked up hangers and the occasional shower curtain at the dollar stores.

I try every new restaurant when it opens, but usually return to my favorite haunts out of habit (Grand Szechuan and Sawadi, thanks for asking).

Fussy Friends probably gets the bulk of the cash I spend in JC, followed closely by the hardware store. Oh, and Starbucks.

My point is that I don't know why, for some of my neighbors, new and upscale has to replace everything old and cheap. For me, the mix is what makes DTJC preferable to more gentrified cities, like Hoboken.

Posted on: 2013/8/1 4:13

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2017/12/28 0:40
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

SilveryJessica wrote:
[quote]
I would much rather have a cheap chicken place that makes decent chicken than an overpriced chain that isn't even based in the US like Bon Chon.

What does the fact that it's not US based, have to do with anything? Does it really factor in whether you'll patron a place? I guess you're not a big fan of Jollibee either.

Posted on: 2013/8/1 3:34

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2022/11/28 0:04
From New Urbanist Area
Group:
Registered Users
Marco and Pepe opened in 2001. The first time they took an extended vacation, they decided they weren't going to bring gates down. And.....nothing happened.

Posted on: 2013/8/1 2:13

Quite a regular
Quite a regular

Hide User information
Last Login :
2021/11/6 17:13
Group:
Registered Users
Sorry, a little off topic,

When I was a kid, around 1962 or 1963, sometimes on early summer evenings, my mom would take me with her to window shop on Newark Avenue.(back then we just called it ?The Avenue?) Though we would leave home after the stores closing times, it didn't matter as none of the stores had gates on them.

There was a furniture store, called Grays (where K9dergarten Dog Care is today) its entrance door was set way back from the sidewalk, with most of its furniture on display behind large windows on both sides of a terrazzo walk. There was a great echo as you got close to the door, loved yelling and hearing my voice echoing off the display windows.
I think there were decent stores like Zampella's & Waldstein's for men's clothing, and other stores for women. But there were also bargain stores such as John's, Diskay's and the Wonder Store. There was even a movie theater, called the Palace (where the parking lot is next to Palace Drugs)

I don't remember what mom was looking for, maybe a dress or just some exercise, but there always seem to other people strolling the avenue.

After the 1964 riots, the gates went up, long established stores started closing, stayed that way for a long time, but it is getting better, much better in the last few years.

Posted on: 2013/8/1 1:12

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2017/8/3 1:06
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

vindication15 wrote:
Quote:

corybraiterman wrote:
i, for one, look forward to the day when vindication15 moves to his/her ideal yuppieville utopia of hoboken. MAYBE you can move to williamsburg now. there's still some vestiges of the old neighborhood still there, but that'll be gone in a couple years most likely.

Negative. Instead of that, I'm bringing more of my NYC'er friends into dtjc. Hopefully enough of us come that a whole foods will come too.

So they make more people like you? Can't wait, this city needs y'all.

Posted on: 2013/7/31 23:54

Quite a regular
Quite a regular

Hide User information
Last Login :
2014/3/24 0:33
Group:
Registered Users
...perfectly stated ahab! That "grit/yup" mix is what made DTJC so attractive to me in the first place! I've since lured quite a few Manhattan friends out here - and we're all very happy (new property tax increase aside : / )...

Posted on: 2013/7/31 23:26

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2022/11/28 0:04
From New Urbanist Area
Group:
Registered Users
I certainly hope the low end stores stay around. I was able to pick up a couple of nice shirts for $4.50 a pop, and can find a decent pair of jeans there when I need it. And Hollywood Chicken was willing to serve me dinner when LITM's servers were too busy to get to me for about 20 minutes, and then announced that the kitchen was closed (well before they are supposed to under Restaurant Row guidelines). And my kids really like Helen's Pizza. Not Two Boots.

I do eat at Bon Chon more than Hollywood Chicken, go to Barcade every now and again, as well as Roman Nose. And I even sprung for a custom bespoke suit from DeCarlos once. But I can't do that all the time, and plenty of other people can't do that anytime.

Posted on: 2013/7/31 22:18

« 1 ... 4 5 6 (7) 8 »

[Advanced Search]

Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!

LicenseInformation | AboutUs | PrivacyPolicy | Faq | Contact

JERSEY CITY LIST - News & Reviews - Jersey City, NJ - Copyright 2004 - 2017