Register now !    Login  
Main Menu
Who's Online
102 user(s) are online (96 user(s) are browsing Message Forum)

Members: 0
Guests: 102

more...

Browsing this Thread:   1 Anonymous Users

« 1 ... 5 6 7 (8)

Re: Storefronts on Newark Ave
Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2017/4/20 19:08
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

corybraiterman wrote:
i, for one, look forward to the day when vindication15 moves to his/her ideal yuppieville utopia of hoboken. MAYBE you can move to williamsburg now. there's still some vestiges of the old neighborhood still there, but that'll be gone in a couple years most likely.

Negative. Instead of that, I'm bringing more of my NYC'er friends into dtjc. Hopefully enough of us come that a whole foods will come too.

Posted on: 2013/7/31 21:28

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2022/4/28 22:07
Group:
Registered Users
i, for one, look forward to the day when vindication15 moves to his/her ideal yuppieville utopia of hoboken. MAYBE you can move to williamsburg now. there's still some vestiges of the old neighborhood still there, but that'll be gone in a couple years most likely.

Posted on: 2013/7/31 21:13

Quite a regular
Quite a regular

Hide User information
Last Login :
2022/12/30 19:47
Group:
Registered Users
If anyone reading this is looking to rent a storefront on Newark Avenue -- please check out our listing

Resized Image

Posted on: 2013/7/31 21:06

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2017/8/3 1:06
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

vindication15 wrote:
Quote:

WhoElseCouldIBe wrote:
Quote:

vindication15 wrote:
Quote:

WhoElseCouldIBe wrote:
Quote:

vindication15 wrote:
Quote:

SilveryJessica wrote:
Quote:

vindication15 wrote:
I'm probably the harshest critic of these store fronts. These stores - rainbow, hollywood chicken, sleep cheap, morlees and numerous discount stores need to close in order for JC to move forward.

K9, barcade, litm, sawadee, two boots, roman nose, the new speakeasy, bonchon, are the types of stores we need..

The smart thing to do would be for the city to secure a contract with a business owner who promises not to open these type of stores and then buy out these existing stores/restaurants.

This is the most elitist, arrogant post I have seen on here, and that is saying something. Morlee's has been around for decades, hanging on through some truly grim times. I would much rather have a cheap chicken place that makes decent chicken than an overpriced chain that isn't even based in the US like Bon Chon. I am all for an intelligent downtown business development strategy, but YOU deciding what the other people in the neighborhood--who maybe don't want to pay $11 for some chicken wing drumettes--need is not one. Not everyone is like you. Not everyone who lives downtown can afford to shop or eat like you can. Those people were here LONG before I got here in 1999 and certainly before people who think we need more bars with $14 cocktails got here.

I understand what downtown needs and I don't think you're wrong in wanting a more eclectic business mix that serves the needs of the different communities now living side by side here, but making statements like that really takes away from your good intentions and makes you sound like an elitist snob.

I thank you for your post. Why? Because it illustrates exactly the divide that DTJC is facing and the rest of JC will face. There are two options, one is to attract the types of businesses that will actually make newark ave JC's premier "restaurant row" and the other is the path of run down ghettoness that has dominated JC and prevented JC from escaping Manhattanite's derision of JC as the run down area across the Hudson.

The owners of those discount stores and hollywood chicken or where-ever are probably the most kind hearted people ever. They probably save children from orphanages during the weekend. My post is not meant to deride them. This is ultimately a business decision and when you bring emotion into it, then we can't make proper business decisions that will bring JC forward.

You can buy a bucket of chicken for $5 or whatever price they sell it for but just know that you are killing JC by doing that..or at least killing JC from ever moving forward to becoming anything remotely similar to areas in manhattan...

killing JC? JC is not just your preference of what it should be. if these stores move in, then that's what JC wants.

what JC wants is not always what JC needs....

That's a silly statement to make. Cities don't "need" to be A or B. They just are. If stores change within a city, some may like it, some may not. But that has nothing to do with needs.

When you say needs, you mean your preferences only.

Cities could either be more like areas in Camden or Manhattan...

Many would argue that Camden NEEDS to change... ..

Not saying JC is like Camden, at least not the downtown area, but what I am saying is that if you have the interest of your city in mind, you would want JC to be more like Manhattan than let's say...brownsville brooklyn or the bronx.

That's a false dichotomy - there's more options than just Manhattan or Brownsville.

Posted on: 2013/7/31 21:04

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

WhoElseCouldIBe wrote:
Quote:

vindication15 wrote:
Quote:

WhoElseCouldIBe wrote:
Quote:

vindication15 wrote:
Quote:

SilveryJessica wrote:
Quote:

vindication15 wrote:
I'm probably the harshest critic of these store fronts. These stores - rainbow, hollywood chicken, sleep cheap, morlees and numerous discount stores need to close in order for JC to move forward.

K9, barcade, litm, sawadee, two boots, roman nose, the new speakeasy, bonchon, are the types of stores we need..

The smart thing to do would be for the city to secure a contract with a business owner who promises not to open these type of stores and then buy out these existing stores/restaurants.

This is the most elitist, arrogant post I have seen on here, and that is saying something. Morlee's has been around for decades, hanging on through some truly grim times. I would much rather have a cheap chicken place that makes decent chicken than an overpriced chain that isn't even based in the US like Bon Chon. I am all for an intelligent downtown business development strategy, but YOU deciding what the other people in the neighborhood--who maybe don't want to pay $11 for some chicken wing drumettes--need is not one. Not everyone is like you. Not everyone who lives downtown can afford to shop or eat like you can. Those people were here LONG before I got here in 1999 and certainly before people who think we need more bars with $14 cocktails got here.

I understand what downtown needs and I don't think you're wrong in wanting a more eclectic business mix that serves the needs of the different communities now living side by side here, but making statements like that really takes away from your good intentions and makes you sound like an elitist snob.

I thank you for your post. Why? Because it illustrates exactly the divide that DTJC is facing and the rest of JC will face. There are two options, one is to attract the types of businesses that will actually make newark ave JC's premier "restaurant row" and the other is the path of run down ghettoness that has dominated JC and prevented JC from escaping Manhattanite's derision of JC as the run down area across the Hudson.

The owners of those discount stores and hollywood chicken or where-ever are probably the most kind hearted people ever. They probably save children from orphanages during the weekend. My post is not meant to deride them. This is ultimately a business decision and when you bring emotion into it, then we can't make proper business decisions that will bring JC forward.

You can buy a bucket of chicken for $5 or whatever price they sell it for but just know that you are killing JC by doing that..or at least killing JC from ever moving forward to becoming anything remotely similar to areas in manhattan...

killing JC? JC is not just your preference of what it should be. if these stores move in, then that's what JC wants.

That's a silly statement to make. Cities don't "need" to be A or B. They just are. If stores change within a city, some may like it, some may not. But that has nothing to do with needs.

Cities could either be more like areas in Camden or Manhattan...

Many would argue that Camden NEEDS to change... ..

Not saying JC is like Camden, at least not the downtown area, but what I am saying is that if you have the interest of your city in mind, you would want JC to be more like Manhattan than let's say...brownsville brooklyn or the bronx.

Posted on: 2013/7/31 21:01

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

vindication15 wrote:
Quote:

WhoElseCouldIBe wrote:
Quote:

vindication15 wrote:
Quote:

SilveryJessica wrote:
Quote:

vindication15 wrote:

Posted on: 2013/7/31 20:53

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

WhoElseCouldIBe wrote:
Quote:

vindication15 wrote:
Quote:

SilveryJessica wrote:
Quote:

vindication15 wrote:

Posted on: 2013/7/31 20:48

Quite a regular
Quite a regular

Hide User information
Last Login :
2017/12/12 15:06
Group:
Registered Users
That's right, WhoElse. Market forces are in play.

Landlords are not blind to the new neighbors moving in--Let the old timers enjoy whatever business they can get before their rents shoot sky high.

I like the mix of grit and yup. It's sort of a trademark of Jersey City.

Posted on: 2013/7/31 20:07

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2023/1/30 21:43
Group:
Registered Users
I'm not so sure that Bon Choi or kennedy Chicken is killing or will a proper restaurant row. I think Newark Avenue can support them both - it is not often that someone that 's looking tos pend $100 on a meal is suddenly going to opt for Bon Choi imo.

Posted on: 2013/7/31 20:01

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2017/12/25 1:59
From here to eternity
Group:
Registered Users
Resized Image

Posted on: 2013/7/31 20:00

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

vindication15 wrote:
Quote:

SilveryJessica wrote:
Quote:

vindication15 wrote:

Posted on: 2013/7/31 19:55

Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

Hide User information
Last Login :
2019/1/4 12:11
From Paulus Hook
Group:
Registered Users
This is a NYT article from a few years ago, talking about NY's goal of eliminating the gates. Only 13 more years to go. yippee.

NYT Roll Gates

Posted on: 2013/7/31 19:45

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

vindication15 wrote:

lulz why do we NEED a bon chon?

Posted on: 2013/7/31 19:33

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

SilveryJessica wrote:
Quote:

vindication15 wrote:

Posted on: 2013/7/31 19:23

Quite a regular
Quite a regular

Hide User information
Last Login :
2014/9/21 19:56
Group:
Registered Users
Why is everyone busting on Sleep Cheap? They saved my butt this year. When I moved, the movers couldn't get my full-sized box spring up to the 2nd floor. I needed a split one, which is impossible to find. All the split box springs are queen-sized or larger. The cheapest one I found online was $300, not including shipping.

My boyfriend had the bright idea to stop at Sleep Cheap. Not only could they get me the box spring, but it arrived and was delivered days earlier than they estimated. The best part: it was $150.

Posted on: 2013/7/31 19:17

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2016/7/18 3:56
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

vindication15 wrote:

I'm probably the target audience for your second list (love Barcade and Roman Nose, can't wait for Word to open), but I actually really like some of the "low-end" stores as well. CH Martin is the best of the bunch -- they have a decent housewares section that complements the hardware store across the street. Lots of basics like sheer panel curtains, very cheap. And they were the ONLY place in town that sold blinds that fit our odd little side window. Also, one of the dollar stores (can't remember which) has super-cheap cables for when I can't wait for Monoprice to ship.

I do wish they were open later, though. I only stop in when I'm working from home.

Posted on: 2013/7/31 19:10

Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

Hide User information
Last Login :
2015/8/5 0:12
From Downtown JC/Harsimus Cove
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

vindication15 wrote:

Posted on: 2013/7/31 19:08

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2017/12/25 1:59
From here to eternity
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

vindication15 wrote:

I would very strongly argue that morlees is an integral part of the area, of the streetscape, and the future of the city. It is run by a great young couple who have vested interest in the future of their store and hence, they have invested substantive amounts to keep up with the times. The store has undergone positive changes since I have been buying from them, while the others -- rainbow, hollywood chicken, sleep cheap -- are dreaming about the good old bad days.

They were featured in the Jersey City Independent a while back.

Posted on: 2013/7/31 19:02

Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

Hide User information
Last Login :
2023/6/15 11:24
Group:
Registered Users
I'm glad that two boots does not have a roll down gate, now that would look ugly!

Posted on: 2013/7/31 18:59

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2017/11/7 17:48
From 8th st
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

vindication15 wrote:

Part of what the SID should be doing is commissioning studies on what type of business would do well and are under-served in JC and then finding companies that are in that market and pitching JC.

We pretty obviously don't have the money to buy many places out, but finding new businesses to move in is all part of the marketing of JC that Fulop has promised.

Edit: Oh and I don't have any problem with Morlees. It's clean and well run (if expensive) and doesn't deserve to be mentioned in the same sentence as Rainbow & Sleep Cheap.

Posted on: 2013/7/31 18:53

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
Group:
Registered Users

Posted on: 2013/7/31 18:40

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2016/3/4 21:43
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

chrisjc wrote:
Where is there a hardware store? It was mentioned in a previous post, I would love to know which store that is.

It's b/w Grove and Erie on the north side of the street.

Posted on: 2013/7/31 18:40

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2015/2/5 16:38
Group:
Banned
Quote:
chrisjc wrote: Where is there a hardware store? It was mentioned in a previous post, I would love to know which store that is.
They're talking about this one.

Posted on: 2013/7/31 18:39

Quite a regular
Quite a regular

Hide User information
Last Login :
2014/1/17 17:38
Group:
Registered Users
Where is there a hardware store? It was mentioned in a previous post, I would love to know which store that is.

Posted on: 2013/7/31 18:29

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2018/7/19 15:21
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

tommyc_37 wrote:
I thought that the Rainbow store was actually a recent addition, no?

I was under the impression that they've been around a while. At least the past five years? I may be wrong about that.

Posted on: 2013/7/31 18:28

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2020/9/30 18:46
From Van Vorst Park
Group:
Registered Users
I thought that the Rainbow store was actually a recent addition, no?

Posted on: 2013/7/31 18:08

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2018/7/19 15:21
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

tommyc_37 wrote:
So last night I arrived back home at Grove Street unusually early (it was just about 7:00). As I walked up Newark Ave to the vitamin store, I noticed that about 80% (if I had to guess) of the stores were closed, and with the metal gates pulled down to the sidewalk. I am wondering how those stores make money? I imagine that the majority of people who live in the neighborhood work fairly standard hours and wouldn't even arrive home until 6:00 or later, and these stores are shuttered.

As an aside, is it just me, or do the metal gates pulled down in front of all the stores (especially before sundown) look really awful? This is something that you don't see much of at all on Washington Street in Hoboken, and our crime rates are about the same. It really is an eyesore.

I think most of these places, like Rainbow and the furniture stores are just biding their time. They know the enevitable, and the closing of their stores are in the future. It's just their way of saving money through limited hours and cutting overhead costs.

Posted on: 2013/7/31 17:51

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2020/4/26 22:05
Group:
Registered Users
I think of the pull down metal gates as a vestige from the past. But, honestly, this could be a chicken or the egg thing. Maybe the crime rate on Newark Avenue is about the same as Washington Street in Hoboken *because* the metal grates deter the criminals.

Posted on: 2013/7/31 17:38

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2016/3/4 21:43
Group:
Registered Users
I work 10am-6pm (sometimes later). The majority of places are closed when I walk down Newark in the morning and are closed by the time I come home. It really does look awful.

I wish the hardware store had better hours. If I need something after 7pm I wind up picking it up at Sears. I'd rather support the hardware store but if I need something right away I don't have much of a choice.

Posted on: 2013/7/31 17:34

Storefronts on Newark Ave
Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2020/9/30 18:46
From Van Vorst Park
Group:
Registered Users
So last night I arrived back home at Grove Street unusually early (it was just about 7:00). As I walked up Newark Ave to the vitamin store, I noticed that about 80% (if I had to guess) of the stores were closed, and with the metal gates pulled down to the sidewalk. I am wondering how those stores make money? I imagine that the majority of people who live in the neighborhood work fairly standard hours and wouldn't even arrive home until 6:00 or later, and these stores are shuttered.

As an aside, is it just me, or do the metal gates pulled down in front of all the stores (especially before sundown) look really awful? This is something that you don't see much of at all on Washington Street in Hoboken, and our crime rates are about the same. It really is an eyesore.

Posted on: 2013/7/31 17:19

« 1 ... 5 6 7 (8)

[Advanced Search]

Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!

LicenseInformation | AboutUs | PrivacyPolicy | Faq | Contact

JERSEY CITY LIST - News & Reviews - Jersey City, NJ - Copyright 2004 - 2017