Register now !    Login  
Main Menu
Who's Online
151 user(s) are online (132 user(s) are browsing Message Forum)

Members: 0
Guests: 151

more...

Browsing this Thread:   2 Anonymous Users

« 1 2 (3) 4 5 6 ... 26 »

Re: HUGE GAS PIPELINE COMING - through Jersey City
Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
3/24 18:05
From jersey city
Group:
Registered Users
I posted this in June while Healy was still Mayor;
Quote:

It is really disgusting that the citizens of Jersey City have to put up with huge potholes..err I mean craters for the gas pipeline construction detours.

The Burma Road detour to Edward Hart Drive over by LSP is a real car killer. In any other city the road would be considered a driving hazard and fixed immediately. It is almost impassible.

I saw a line of 4 yellow school buses on their way to LSC go through the gantlet. The poor kids were getting tossed from side to side. I thought I saw one fly out of a window but maybe it was his lunch bag. Also saw a small Chevy Sonic?s front tire go in one of the deep potholes and bottom out. That?s the pothole that devoured a traffic cone already. Think about it a traffic cone is lost in a pothole.

Really sad you are letting this happen to your people Healy, now do you see why you got voted out of office? It?s the little stuff that adds up. You should have been on the pipeline people all along telling then to fix any roads used for their detours.

I did the detour the other day and the streets are all paved and ALL of the potholes are history. If Mayor Fulop had anything to do with it I am sure glad I voted for him!! Thank you.

Posted on: 2013/9/3 20:25

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2015/8/3 1:43
Group:
Banned
Spectra employees and affiliates should be ashamed of themselves. Putting greed before the safety of humans.

Posted on: 2013/8/13 13:50

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2022/11/28 18:03
From Jersey City, NJ
Group:
Registered Users

Posted on: 2013/8/13 6:26

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
From jersey city
Group:
Registered Users
(side note: do any pro pipeline people know why the pipeline work seems to take months and months in certain sections? Like on Burma Rd by James A. Hamil Dr. it has been a (pothole filled) detour for months and it seems they are always ?playing? in the one hole in the middle of the street by the moving company. Problems that we should know about?)

Bayonne residents tired of gasline traffic, detours from construction

http://www.nj.com/jjournal-news/index ... _of_gas.html#incart_river

Posted on: 2013/8/2 12:56

Not too shy to talk
Not too shy to talk

Hide User information
Last Login :
2016/10/2 4:31
Group:
Registered Users
All of you arguing against renewable energy (cost, efficiency, effectiveness, etc.) sound totally ridiculous. It's coming. People such as yourself will certainly hold things up, but ultimately you're like the guy a hundred years ago arguing that the 'dagnab car will never overtake the horse and buggy.'

Posted on: 2013/8/1 3:45

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2020/4/18 19:17
From Way Downtown
Group:
Registered Users
What you pipeline cheerleaders keep forgetting is that fossil fuels are finite. The sun will last a bit longer. If we're going to throw bushels of cash at something, maybe let's throw it towards the resource that's actually going to outlive our grandchildren?

Posted on: 2013/8/1 3:27

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2022/5/31 3:07
Group:
Registered Users
moobycow - as with any new technology, these decreasing costs of production are typical (but STILL not competitive w/ natural gas, oil and coal) - remember the PC and the 16K floppy disc - now your can get several gigs for a fraction of the price back in the 1980s. You can insert any new technology into your chart (computer memory, LED/LCD TVs, genetic testing, etc.) and you'll get the same $/time profile. But aside from cost, people need to embrace the technology, which most liberals talk a good game but when it actually comes to implementing always come up with some excuse - so even if wind and solar to a lesser extent become par to coal, oil and gas, the liberal establishment will sue to block installation, so what good is it? Oh, wait, you can't put THOSE renewable energy sources THERE!
http://www.saveoursound.org/

Also, while your price charts appear to be impressive, remind you that the US Gov't did little/nothing to advance renewable energy technology - see hydraulic fracking which PRIVATE industry risked billions on and now the entire US is benefitting with lower gas prices - 1/5 the cost of natural gas in Japan for instance. While many people are against fracking due to PERCEIVED risks, King Obama conveniently takes credit for it time to time to highlight the jobs created (all before he took office) and the ingenuity of American business, despite the choking governmental regulations hamstringing the US economy.

Posted on: 2013/8/1 0:37

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2019/11/14 1:56
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

thor800 wrote:
Arguing that because we use gas, we shouldn't complain about a 30-inch 200-1200psi (PSEG uses 2 inch service lines of about 6psi by comparison) high flow transmission pipeline right through the middle of the city is a textbook uninformed argument at best.

And if you actually look at pipeline stats, and recognize that they will be inspecting the line, and you realize that hauling fuel via trucks is both less safe and more expensive, and you understand that people are actually pretty bad at evaluating risk, then you have an informed argument.

Quote:
Theres no reason that Spectra couldn't route the pipeline under the Hudson directly from Bayonne.

I'm guessing there is, since they did re-route into the water in Bayonne. I can't imagine Bayonne has more pull than JC.

Quote:
Hopefully JC doesn't become an industrial wasteland like it was during the coal era of railroad-dominance....

Good news! That's not going to happen.

Quote:
Embrace renewables !

Oh? The RITE project will install 30 turbines in the East River, and will generate... a whopping 1MW.

It's a good project, but it can't possibly replace LNG in a reasonable timeframe.

Posted on: 2013/7/31 20:57

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2019/9/4 14:31
Group:
Registered Users
Arguing that because we use gas, we shouldn't complain about a 30-inch 200-1200psi (PSEG uses 2 inch service lines of about 6psi by comparison) high flow transmission pipeline right through the middle of the city is a textbook uninformed argument at best.

Theres no reason that Spectra couldn't route the pipeline under the Hudson directly from Bayonne. These companies dont give a shit about lowering gas costs for the consumer and instead will do whatever they want to push these ticking time bombs through the clowns at the FERC.

Hopefully JC doesn't become an industrial wasteland like it was during the coal era of railroad-dominance with the push towards exporting natural gas. Embrace renewables !

Posted on: 2013/7/31 13:31

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2016/10/21 16:46
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

JC_Man wrote:
ALL of you cry-babies complaining about the pipeline/explosions - what is your source of energy for heating/cooking? Yeah, I thought so. (I don't see TOO MANY solar panels/wind turbines in JC)

Also, next time you walk outside of your house/condo/apartment - walk to the street (careful, look both ways, don't get hit by a car) and blamo - guess what? You're standing above/near a gas line.

Quit complaining already!!

I think most people are upset about the placement of the pipeline. Placing it in such a dense area when it could have been put under the Hudson is my problem with the project. Yes, it would have cost more, but when you are an energy company and money is no object, putting it under the Hudson should have been the only option.

Posted on: 2013/7/31 12:19

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2017/11/7 17:48
From 8th st
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

JC_Man wrote:
JCbiscuit,

The self-appointed emperor in the White House (King Obama) has thrown hundreds of millions, probably Billions at the alternate fuel industry (see - Solyndra) and how's that working out?

Go rub two sticks together and eat your breakfast burrito.

Fairly well actually.

Resized Image

Resized Image

Posted on: 2013/7/31 12:17

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
Group:
Registered Users
JCbiscuit,

The self-appointed emperor in the White House (King Obama) has thrown hundreds of millions, probably Billions at the alternate fuel industry (see - Solyndra) and how's that working out?

Go rub two sticks together and eat your breakfast burrito.

Posted on: 2013/7/31 11:58

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

JCbiscuit wrote:
Not a majority. Not even close.

So it's just an illusion that the PATH trains to NYC are jammed in the morning. Got it. ;)

JC's economy is closely linked to NYC. Besides, if we take that attitude, then why should Boonton's water wind up in Jersey City faucets?

Quote:
citations, please.

Global fossil fuel subsidies, $523bn globa, p1
Global renewable, $88bn, p6
http://www.iea.org/publications/freep ... s/publication/English.pdf

In the US in 2010:
Fossil fuel generation subsidies: $1.8bn
Renewable generation subsidies: $6.5bn
Nuclear: $2.5bn
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Renewable_energy_in_the_United_States

Quote:
Not without investment in R&D, it won't. Maybe making it harder to frack and pipe fossil fuels will spur that along?

Maybe, but probably not.

? If we don't produce NG domestically, and the demand is there, we'll buy it from somewhere else, or switch to another fossil fuel (coal, oil).
? Wind and solar are intermittent. The US will need fossil fuels for a long time.
? Taking NG out of the picture means more strain on the existing electrical grid.
? Even with increased R&D, it's going to take years for renewable to cost the same as fossil.

We should be developing renewable resources, as well as reducing energy consumption. Ultimately that takes political and individual will, not reductions in supply.

Posted on: 2013/7/31 11:40

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
From Way Downtown
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

Dolomiti wrote:
Quote:

JCbiscuit wrote:
this pipeline will service NYC exclusively.

And how many JC residents work in NYC...?

Not a majority. Not even close.

Quote:
Quote:
also, if renewable energy got a fraction of the subsidies and kickbacks bestowed on our fossil fuel overlords, there would be solar panels on every rooftop for miles.

Actually, it does. Renewable subsidies were roughly 1/6 the amount of fossil fuel subsidies in 2011.

citations, please.

Quote:
Sadly, renewables cannot provide all the US's energy needs. More investment in renewables won't change that.

Not without investment in R&D, it won't. Maybe making it harder to frack and pipe fossil fuels will spur that along?

Posted on: 2013/7/31 9:33

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

JCbiscuit wrote:
this pipeline will service NYC exclusively.

And how many JC residents work in NYC...?

Quote:
also, if renewable energy got a fraction of the subsidies and kickbacks bestowed on our fossil fuel overlords, there would be solar panels on every rooftop for miles.

Actually, it does. Renewable subsidies were roughly 1/6 the amount of fossil fuel subsidies in 2011.

Sadly, renewables cannot provide all the US's energy needs. More investment in renewables won't change that.

Posted on: 2013/7/31 3:49

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
From Way Downtown
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

JC_Man wrote:
ALL of you cry-babies complaining about the pipeline/explosions - what is your source of energy for heating/cooking? Yeah, I thought so. (I don't see TOO MANY solar panels/wind turbines in JC)

Also, next time you walk outside of your house/condo/apartment - walk to the street (careful, look both ways, don't get hit by a car) and blamo - guess what? You're standing above/near a gas line.

this pipeline will service NYC exclusively. if I'm going to get blown to bits, I'd like it to be because of my own breakfast burrito.

Posted on: 2013/7/31 3:33

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
Group:
Registered Users

Posted on: 2013/7/31 2:18

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

jcguy05 wrote:
It is a fact those extremely high pressure gas pipes will leech out toxins into the ground and eventually the water supply over time as they deteriorate.

The new pipeline transports natural gas, not oil.

LNG is not toxic; it's an asphyxiant. Oil, in contrast, is toxic.

Besides, the reservoirs within city limits were decommissioned in the 80s. Jersey City's water comes from Boonton.

Posted on: 2013/7/31 2:14

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
From Way Downtown
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

tommyc_37 wrote:
I almost hope there is an explosion in a remote area (nobody hurt) so that people wake up and this project gets stalled/cancelled.

Your wish has been granted.

http://abcnews.go.com/US/story?id=96090&page=1

and granted.

http://blogs.villagevoice.com/runnins ... 13/02/as_gas_pipe_exp.php

and granted again.

http://rt.com/usa/explosion-new-orleans-pipe-872/

still think think this project will get canceled?

Posted on: 2013/7/31 2:02

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2023/4/21 14:20
Group:
Registered Users
since jersey city lost, i have purchased the berkey filter to protect my family and myself.

From my research this suppose to operate at a professional level and used by people in undeveloped areas across the global to filter dirty/polluted river water to drinking water.

I also have the filtered water sent to a epa certified lab to be tested to confirm the filter is working correctly.

http://www.amazon.com/Berkey-Water-Fi ... s-Fluoride/dp/B003W5VBL2/

Cant be too careful, a few cups of contaminated water wont do much but long term exposure over many years is a different story, especially if you have young children. It is a fact those extremely high pressure gas pipes will leech out toxins into the ground and eventually the water supply over time as they deteriorate, no matter what the gas companies like you to believe.

Posted on: 2013/7/30 17:50

Hide User information
Last Login :
2014/7/2 14:06
From Marion
Group:
Registered Users
Also bringing radon to JC.

The people in the W. Village made this flashy video:

Upworthy Video on Gas Pipeline

Posted on: 2013/7/30 14:01

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2020/9/30 18:46
From Van Vorst Park
Group:
Registered Users
I almost hope there is an explosion in a remote area (nobody hurt) so that people wake up and this project gets stalled/cancelled. It's absurd and they should have been REQUIRED to drill under the water between Staten Island and Manhattan.

Posted on: 2013/7/30 13:56

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
Group:
Banned
Shame on you Spectra! And every single person that works or is affiliated with this project. You are all disgraceful. You truly are.

This is simply another example of why this pipeline is not safe in an urban environment. If a mistake/accident like this were to happen to the pipeline, it could be a disaster of awful proportions.

Please email City Hall and ask the Mayor to fight this pipeline with all their might.

Posted on: 2013/7/30 0:55

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
From jersey city
Group:
Registered Users
(this was on another thread just posting it here so in the future when some other contractor hits the actual gas pipeline while doing some excavation work and we are all wiped out there will be a record of how easy it is to hit pipes.)

Low water pressure and possible discolored water in Downtown Jersey City due to water main break
Michaelangelo Conte/The Jersey Journal
on July 26, 2013 at 6:12 PM

Residents in Downtown Jersey City may experience low water pressure and discolored water as a result of a water main break caused by a construction crew this afternoon, officials said.

A contractor working for Spectra Energy hit the 12-inch main at 4:15 p.m. at 17th and Coles streets, said Steve Goudsmith of United Water. United water workers shut down the main at 4:45 p.m. and the contractor is going to make repairs but it is not clear how long it will take, Goudsmith said.

"Customers may be experiencing lower water pressure and possible discolored water and while the water is safe to drink, resident may want to run the tap until the water is clear," Goudsmith said.

Unite Water is diverting water from other mains in order to bolster pressure in the affected area, Goudsmith said.

Posted on: 2013/7/27 17:04

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
Group:
Banned
Spectra, how are you going to deal with the lead contamination in the area near Merseles street (near PS5 and Mary Benson Park)? We have been informed by the City that this entire area underneath the turnpike has lead, likely due to filler that was used to fill in the area at the time it was first being developed. This problem was first discovered last year when lead testing was done at the Mary Benson Park and lead was discovered in the soil. The park has been permanently shut since that time, pending remediation. Will you be testing the constructing site areas? Will you be conducting air monitoring to make sure you are not introducing airborne lead? Will you be remediating the area after you bury your pipe? Has EPA and the relevant authorities been made aware of this problem after it came to light? PLease keep in mind that an elementary school is located within 100 meters of your pipe, as well as numerous nursery and pre schools.

I do not beleive this was addressed previously in your environmental study. Perhpas the lead was not discovered at that time. Now that it has been discovered, Please advise how you will be addressing it.

Posted on: 2013/6/7 1:13

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
From jersey city
Group:
Registered Users
I don?t know if it was a coincidence but I posted the below link about the car eating pot holes on Edward Hart Drive over by LSP yesterday.

Today a lot of the bigger pot holes were filled in. But as long as someone was filling them in why not do them all? The detour still stinks.

Posted on: 2013/6/6 22:10

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
From jersey city
Group:
Registered Users
It is really disgusting that the citizens of Jersey City have to put up with huge potholes..err I mean craters for the gas pipeline construction detours.

The Burma Road detour to Edward Hart Drive over by LSP is a real car killer. In any other city the road would be considered a driving hazard and fixed immediately. It is almost impassible.

I saw a line of 4 yellow school buses on their way to LSC go through the gantlet. The poor kids were getting tossed from side to side. I thought I saw one fly out of a window but maybe it was his lunch bag. Also saw a small Chevy Sonic?s front tire go in one of the deep potholes and bottom out. That?s the pothole that devoured a traffic cone already. Think about it a traffic cone is lost in a pothole.

Really sad you are letting this happen to your people Healy, now do you see why you got voted out of office? It?s the little stuff that adds up. You should have been on the pipeline people all along telling then to fix any roads used for their detours.

Posted on: 2013/6/5 15:15

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
Group:
Banned
Score09 - the pipeline is supposed to run right by my house as well - we live close to the turnpike, though further up from you. I haven't seen any construction going on yet in my area, but that doesn't mean anything. I've seen it over by liberty state park and it is just awful. It's so huge.

This pipe is being laid literally underneath the turnpike extension. How is it they can guarantee the safety of this pipe when you have massive reverberations from the turnpike in that area? Won't this affect the integrity of the pipe through inordinate wear and tear?

Moreover, the area underneath the turnpike extension near where I live is contaminated with lead from the fill that was used to fill the area back in the day. How is SPectra going to make sure it does not release airborne lead when it starts contstruction in the area? This is right next to a large public elementary school and multiple pre-schools - near the most susceptable people to lead - little children.

Can someone from Spectra chime in on this? You know who you are.....

Posted on: 2013/5/30 1:34

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2020/9/18 1:42
From Botswana
Group:
Registered Users
JCDD,

This particular excavation type activity which is literally shaking the ground and buildings within at least a 500 yard radius is occurring in the exact spot where the pipeline is supposed to run through. Behind Jones Park, back by the railroad tracks, just beyond the very western end of 9th street. The worker told me they were removing "casing" (whatever that is) so because of these two factors -- the location and the removal of casing from the ground presumably in preparation for the pipeline -- I assume this activity is pipeline related.

I could be wrong which is why I posted a separate thread which was apparently deleted.

Posted on: 2013/5/30 0:40

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2019/9/4 14:31
Group:
Registered Users
Start researching Spectra & the pipeline:

http://nogaspipeline.org
http://saneenergyproject.org/

Call your elected officials (Sires, Lautenberg, Menendez, Christie, etc anyone who needs your votes)

Start raising awareness among your friends and neighbors, post on social media, protest ?

Knowledge is power and the more people know, the better chance we have of changing the system which puts monstrosities like this in place without the proper checks and balances.

Posted on: 2013/5/29 18:13

« 1 2 (3) 4 5 6 ... 26 »

[Advanced Search]

Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!

LicenseInformation | AboutUs | PrivacyPolicy | Faq | Contact

JERSEY CITY LIST - News & Reviews - Jersey City, NJ - Copyright 2004 - 2017