Register now !    Login  
Main Menu
Who's Online
122 user(s) are online (91 user(s) are browsing Message Forum)

Members: 0
Guests: 122

more...

Browsing this Thread:   1 Anonymous Users

« 1 (2) 3 »

Re: JC hotels to host Super Bowl participants
Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2023/11/26 22:12
Group:
Registered Users
Super Bowl 2014: Downtown Jersey City busy preparing for Super Bowl teams' arrival

By Anthony J. Machcinski/The Jersey Journal
January 25, 2014 at 1:08 PM

While the Denver Broncos and the Seattle Seahawks won't arrive in the area until tomorrow afternoon, Downtown Jersey City is as busy as ever.

Along Columbus Drive and Washington Street, workers have begun to place large, blue banners with the Super Bowl logo on them on top of light posts to welcome the teams to Jersey City.

Also looking to welcome the two Super Bowl teams, both the Hyatt and the Westin have placed banners of their own depicting images of the two teams.

The Hyatt, at the foot of Columbus Drive, is decorated with images of Broncos quarterback Peyton Manning and New Jersey's own Knowshon Moreno near the entrance of the hotel. The Broncos will stay at the Hyatt starting tomorrow and through the end of the week.

Not to be outdone, the Westin features images of their guests, including Seahawks quarterback Russell Wilson, running back Marshawn Lynch and cornerback Richard Sherman, outside the entrance to their hotel.

Even though the teams won't arrive in Jersey City until tomorrow, security measures have already begun. Police officers have placed several barricades near both hotels in preparation of tomorrow's welcoming ceremony.

In addition, the Hyatt pier has been shut down and will remain shut down until after next Sunday's big game.

http://www.nj.com/hudson/index.ssf/20 ... r_bowl_teams_arrival.html

Posted on: 2014/1/26 4:27

Re: In Gentrifying Jersey City, Super Bowl Teams Find Temporary Home
Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2017/12/28 0:40
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

user1111 wrote:
Quote:

Lima17 wrote:
Quote:

heights wrote:
Quote:

CdeCoincy wrote:
Steven M. Fulop, as he rode around Jersey City in a sport utility vehicle last week, enthusiastically showing off one construction site after another. The building boom, he said, would add 5,000 apartments a year for the next several years.

Is that true? Sounds like the total for the next several years.

Around J.C. ?? please tell us where around is. I wonder if the majority is mostly in the DT area ? Why not ask Steve or the mayor's office to verify the quote.

Does it really matter?

Maybe for you it does not matter, to me and others it sure does.

Maybe I'm just missing the point. The author is describing that they were driving around JC. Why is it important that he detail the route, and let us know which neighborhoods they were driving in?

Posted on: 2014/1/24 2:40

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2014/12/15 23:01
Group:
Banned
Corrected

Quote:

HPYC wrote:
C'mon, DTJC has at least 4 Starbucks!

Posted on: 2014/1/23 21:43

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2019/12/26 15:30
From GV Bayside Park
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

Lima17 wrote:
Quote:

heights wrote:
Quote:

CdeCoincy wrote:
Steven M. Fulop, as he rode around Jersey City in a sport utility vehicle last week, enthusiastically showing off one construction site after another. The building boom, he said, would add 5,000 apartments a year for the next several years.

Around J.C. ?? please tell us where around is. I wonder if the majority is mostly in the DT area ? Why not ask Steve or the mayor's office to verify the quote.

Does it really matter?

Maybe for you it does not matter, to me and others it sure does.

Posted on: 2014/1/23 21:22

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

heights wrote:
Quote:

CdeCoincy wrote:

Does it really matter?

Posted on: 2014/1/23 20:38

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2023/6/11 23:48
From Western Slope
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

CdeCoincy wrote:

Posted on: 2014/1/23 20:03
Get on your bikes and ride !

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2014/12/21 14:01
Group:
Banned

Posted on: 2014/1/23 19:58

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2023/6/11 23:48
From Western Slope
Group:
Registered Users
High rent and a Starbucks makes the world a better place to live.

Posted on: 2014/1/23 19:58
Get on your bikes and ride !

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
From GV Bayside Park
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

HPYC wrote:
C'mon, we've got at least 4 Starbucks!

HA!!! true. My coworker sent this to me this morning, with "WOW, JC has a Starbucks now?" HA! Classic.

Posted on: 2014/1/23 19:55

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2021/3/15 20:01
From Downtown - H.P. area
Group:
Registered Users
C'mon, we've got at least 4 Starbucks!

Posted on: 2014/1/23 19:52

In Gentrifying Jersey City, Super Bowl Teams Find Temporary Home
Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
From GV Bayside Park
Group:
Registered Users
?Jersey City has changed for the better,? said Peter Miller, who paints scenery for Broadway shows and movies and has lived in Jersey City since 1985. ?There was a time when you were nervous about walking home from the PATH train at 11 o?clock at night. Rent prices, on the other hand, have gone up, and now we have a Starbucks.? LMAO

NYT

Posted on: 2014/1/23 19:41

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
From GV Bayside Park
Group:
Registered Users
By Marli Horwitz/The Jersey Journal

Get ready for sticker shock.

With the Super Bowl XLVIII being played at MetLife Stadium on Feb. 2, Hudson County hotels are jacking up rates.

Among the cheaper rates are $400 a night at the Holland Hotel outside the Holland Tunnel in Jersey City. But that rate comes with a catch: you have to commit to be there four days. The hotel normally charges $125 a night.

But if you?re feeling more flush, there?s the three-star Days Inn on Tonnelle Avenue in North Bergen, where rooms are going for $1,300 per night during Super Bowl week.

Two women staying there last month from Wisconsin were surprised by the Super Bowl rates. They paid $129 a night during their stay.

?I absolutely would not pay those (Super Bowl) prices,? one of the women told The Jersey Journal. ?This is a nice place, but for our room, no way.?

Even the $400-a-night room at the Holland Hotel was a hard swallow for some.

?If I?m paying that much, I?d stay in a five-star place with bigger beds and a nice TV. We?ve got a box TV here,? said a man who was staying there last month.

Nicoletta Caroti, an Italian who touches down at the Holland Hotel every summer, also balked at the super duper rates.

?The service and prices are great here,? she said. ?But if I knew I would be paying those higher prices, I?d go for the Marriott.?

Several hotels, including the Marriott on the Jersey City waterfront, said they are already booked for the big game and refused to disclose their prices.

The Red Roof Inn in Secaucus appeared to be also cashing in on Super Bowl fever. Normally rooms are $100 per night. For Super Bowl weekend: $709 a night.

Posted on: 2013/8/28 17:00

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
From GV Bayside Park
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

tommyc_37 wrote:
Vindication, you have no idea what you're talking about re: comparing NYC to DTJC only. NYC is more than just Manhattan and Brownstone Brooklyn. In fact, the non-downtown parts of JC bear close resemblance to the non-Manhattan/Brownstone Brooklyn parts of NYC (which is most of NYC). Also, many parts of the outer boroughs are far sketchier than the worst parts of JC.

We don't agree on much, but +1 here being a person from NYC and not from the Midwest like most on this board.

Posted on: 2013/7/30 18:01

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2017/4/20 19:08
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

tommyc_37 wrote:
Vindication, you have no idea what you're talking about re: comparing NYC to DTJC only. NYC is more than just Manhattan and Brownstone Brooklyn. In fact, the non-downtown parts of JC bear close resemblance to the non-Manhattan/Brownstone Brooklyn parts of NYC (which is most of NYC). Also, many parts of the outer boroughs are far sketchier than the worst parts of JC.

When people say NYC, they think of Manhattan and Brownstone brooklyn. When people say NYC is the greatest city in the world, they are not talking about Brownsville Brooklyn.....

Fine, let me refine my comparison if that makes you any happier. Manhattan and Brownstone Brooklyn resemble DTJC and Hoboken.

And yes, there are ghettos in the bronx that are worse than greenville and bergen lafayette. Congrats to us? I don't think homicide rates is something we should be comparing...and being happy about if we are lower than say camden...is that the standard now?

Posted on: 2013/7/30 17:44

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2020/9/30 18:46
From Van Vorst Park
Group:
Registered Users

Posted on: 2013/7/30 13:47

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2022/11/28 0:04
From New Urbanist Area
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

fat-ass-bike wrote:
Pitch a tent in your yard and rent a porta-toilet and make some quick cash for yourself from fans coming over!

People use websites like airbnb to rent out their places on a short term or intermittent basis. To the extent zoning or land use laws prohibit transient use, the city should create a one week amnesty period allowing people to rent out their houses or apartments for the Superbowl. I believe Atlanta did something similar in 1996 when they had the Olympics.

Almost every hotel in the area is booked solid. Allow people to make some cash for the weekend. And collect hotel tax for the period as well.

Posted on: 2013/7/30 13:34

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2022/2/28 7:31
From 280 Grove Street
Group:
Registered Users
Pitch a tent in your yard and rent a porta-toilet and make some quick cash for yourself from fans coming over!

Posted on: 2013/7/30 4:02
My humor is for the silent blue collar majority - If my posts offend, slander or you deem inappropriate and seek deletion, contact the webmaster for jurisdiction.

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2017/4/20 19:08
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

Pebble wrote:
Quote:

Prismatic wrote:
Again, that just sounds like being content with the way things are.

[quote]A good friend of mine had his girlfriend move in recently. She?s out of New York and they are living in Jersey. Every time she?s gets lost in the car the response is ?I don?t understand New Jersey!? It?s a fight he has all time. In the end it?s always, ?New Jersey just sucks.? Or ?New Jersey doesn?t make sense.?

I had a friend that used to work for the Daily News in the sports department. He was out of the Montclair area and commuted in each day. His editor, in a conversation, once told him, ?I?d never hire someone from outside New York.? [quote]

This is exactly why I do not support anything NYC. Yet knowing this, it seems more and more people want NJ to be associated with New York City. Like I don't understand. Knowing that NYC could care less about NJ, people feel inclined to try to harder to get them to like us. Its like we want to be the obsessive ex-girlfriend who doesn't get the point.

The stadium was partly paid for by NJ residents, and as far as I know, New York City didn't put money down for that stadium. so why should they be allowed to be advertised as a host? If they want to have their name on it the city should pay. NO EXCEPTIONS! And this is why we should keep what is ours as OURS, just like New York City's does.

Then all I ever hear from anyone is "we can't". That alone simply shows me how content people are with what we have.

Jersey City and Hoboken (which was known before) are obtaining reputations and are getting known. It?s just a work in progress.

Let's be honest.

Hoboken may be small enough (50k residents, about 1 sq mile) to make generic statements but I assure you, JC (248k residents, 21 sq miles) is NOT homogeneous nor do downtowners want it to be.

When people compare JC and NYC or Hoboken and JC and NYC, they mean and ONLY mean DTJC.

In DTJC, we may never become NYC but we sure are closer to NYC than other parts of JC (I'm looking at you Greenville and Bergen Lafayette). And I mean closer in more ways than just distance....

residents from other parts of JC outside of DT complain about the unfair and shady abatements. Boohoo. Every thread is about the unfair abatements. How about DTJC promises to never have an abatement again if Greenville and Bergen Lafayette gets rid or even reduces their violent crimes, especially homicide? Which one really ruins the reputation of JC? Homicides every other week in these areas or abatements? Give me a break.

So, I'm glad these NFL teams are coming to DTJC.

I'm not against other parts of JC, I just want to be real and say what thousands of others in DT are thinking.....so far, areas west of I78 are not helping JC's reputation and ability to become a national market. It's not abatements that are the problem, it's the crime ridden, dangerous, wild wild west areas of JC that need to be tamed, by all means possible - put cops in the streets 24/7 on every block if need be. Then maybe something else but discount stores, chinese take-out places, and crime ridden parks will occupy those areas.

Journal square gets it with the beginning of the J3 project...when will greenville and Bergen Lafayette attract any meaningful development?

Posted on: 2013/7/30 3:43

Hide User information
Last Login :
2014/4/8 1:51
Group:
Registered Users
The Patriots will be staying at the Hyatt. Awesome!

Posted on: 2013/7/30 2:49

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2020/10/5 21:44
Group:
Registered Users
Lot's of news stories on how the 'by the hour' motels alongside Tonnelle Ave are cashing in with giant rate bumps. Heck, they gotta make hay when the sun shines I suppose.

Posted on: 2013/7/28 16:42

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2018/1/6 18:15
Group:
Banned
Hope JC tries to cash in on this. Big dollars plus opportunity to enhance the reputation nationally.

Posted on: 2013/7/28 16:19

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2020/8/16 20:23
From not downtown
Group:
Registered Users
Maybe the Jets will be in the Super Bowl now that they have Geno Smith.

(OK, this is not a serious post).

Posted on: 2013/4/27 20:19
I cook with wine, sometimes I even add it to the food.
W. C. Fields

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2023/9/5 18:27
From Bergen Hill
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

Prismatic wrote:

[quote]A good friend of mine had his girlfriend move in recently. She?s out of New York and they are living in Jersey. Every time she?s gets lost in the car the response is ?I don?t understand New Jersey!? It?s a fight he has all time. In the end it?s always, ?New Jersey just sucks.? Or ?New Jersey doesn?t make sense.?

I had a friend that used to work for the Daily News in the sports department. He was out of the Montclair area and commuted in each day. His editor, in a conversation, once told him, ?I?d never hire someone from outside New York.? [quote]

This is exactly why I do not support anything NYC. Yet knowing this, it seems more and more people want NJ to be associated with New York City. Like I don't understand. Knowing that NYC could care less about NJ, people feel inclined to try to harder to get them to like us. Its like we want to be the obsessive ex-girlfriend who doesn't get the point.

The stadium was partly paid for by NJ residents, and as far as I know, New York City didn't put money down for that stadium. so why should they be allowed to be advertised as a host? If they want to have their name on it the city should pay. NO EXCEPTIONS! And this is why we should keep what is ours as OURS, just like New York City's does.

Then all I ever hear from anyone is "we can't". That alone simply shows me how content people are with what we have.

Like it or not, we are part of NYC, just as Philly doesn?t fully realize that South Jersey is part of Philly. Our local news is their local news. None of the local affiliate channels, CBS, NBC, or FOX, have a New Jersey news. It?s all New York.

Jersey City and Hoboken (which was known before) are obtaining reputations and are getting known. It?s just a work in progress.

Besides, I?m not even sure why this surprises you. People that come from major cities and urban centers have always held some form of attitude about how they are better than those from outside of it. It is the way it is. It is the way it will always be.

Posted on: 2013/4/26 19:13

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
Group:
Registered Users
If the Redskins (FedEx field) were hosting a SB, an olympic event, or any other national/international event, I'm positive the spotlight would been on Washington, DC, and not Maryland.

I wonder if the New Jersey Sports and Exposition Authorityhas has insisted that the Super Bowl be marketed as the NJ Super Bowl, whether the NFL would have even awarded the Super Bowl to MetLife.

Posted on: 2013/4/26 19:03

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2015/3/10 21:37
From The Heights.
Group:
Registered Users

Posted on: 2013/4/26 18:49

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
From Bergen Hill
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

Prismatic wrote:
Quote:

Pebble wrote:
Quote:

hero69 wrote:
Well, I think NJ could get a lot more love if it had better planning and infrastructure/mass transit.

That has nothing to do with it. Everything is about the "brand" known as New York. People know NY. A lot of the problem is that New Jersey seems just so very foreign to them. They say New Jersey and just lump the whole state as if it is one unit that is the same everywhere. They don?t say Jersey City and Hoboken and Newark and Seaside Heights and Atlantic City. It?s all just New Jersey.

And why don't they? You say that as if we cannot and should not create our "brand" and should just be content with letting New York City get all the credit and good stuff. This right here is the problem. Many are just happy with what we have or just have the mentality of "can't".

Where did I say I just accept it? I have conversations with people all of the time. That doesn?t make it happen.

We can try creating our brand all we want. That isn?t going to change the mindset of New Yorkers that only wish to snub their nose at us.

A good friend of mine had his girlfriend move in recently. She?s out of New York and they are living in Jersey. Every time she?s gets lost in the car the response is ?I don?t understand New Jersey!? It?s a fight he has all time. In the end it?s always, ?New Jersey just sucks.? Or ?New Jersey doesn?t make sense.?

I had a friend that used to work for the Daily News in the sports department. He was out of the Montclair area and commuted in each day. His editor, in a conversation, once told him, ?I?d never hire someone from outside New York.?

New Yorkers are content to continue with their perceptions. I?d love it if were to change, but the PATH isn?t the subway. NJ Transit isn?t part of the MTA either. Thus, we?re not New York.

Posted on: 2013/4/26 16:27

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
From The Heights.
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

Pebble wrote:
Quote:

hero69 wrote:
Well, I think NJ could get a lot more love if it had better planning and infrastructure/mass transit.

That has nothing to do with it. Everything is about the "brand" known as New York. People know NY. A lot of the problem is that New Jersey seems just so very foreign to them. They say New Jersey and just lump the whole state as if it is one unit that is the same everywhere. They don?t say Jersey City and Hoboken and Newark and Seaside Heights and Atlantic City. It?s all just New Jersey.

And why don't they? You say that as if we cannot and should not create our "brand" and should just be content with letting New York City get all the credit and good stuff. This right here is the problem. Many are just happy with what we have or just have the mentality of "can't".

Posted on: 2013/4/26 15:29

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
From Bergen Hill
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

hero69 wrote:

Posted on: 2013/4/25 20:44

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
From The Heights.
Group:
Registered Users
I have a strong feeling that JC will still not be included and the focus be put on New York City entirely.

Posted on: 2013/4/25 0:33

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2013/7/1 17:12
Group:
Registered Users
It's going to be a zoo downtown.

Posted on: 2013/4/25 0:15

« 1 (2) 3 »