Register now !    Login  
Main Menu
Who's Online
91 user(s) are online (78 user(s) are browsing Message Forum)

Members: 0
Guests: 91

more...

Browsing this Thread:   1 Anonymous Users

« 1 2 3 (4) 5 6 »

Re: Journal Squared Project to Begin
Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2014/12/21 14:01
Group:
Banned
Why can't there be some sort of financial incentive to live/work in JC? Just based on observation and experience (i.e. no supporting data), it seems to me that the Exchange Place/Newport office area is somewhat unique in having a large amount of housing within walking distance. What can be done to get more people who work here to live here and therefore off the PATH? Even getting more JC employees to live along the lightrail would help and expand the availability and affordability of housing and lower PATH ridership. Social solutions are always cheaper and quicker, I think.

Posted on: 2013/7/31 11:09

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2018/1/6 18:15
Group:
Banned
NY way of thinking - we will bring more jobs to NY
Jersey way of thinking - lets all commute to those jobs in NY

Posted on: 2013/7/31 10:14

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2023/1/30 21:43
Group:
Registered Users
Christie killed the ARC program

Posted on: 2013/7/30 15:47

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2020/9/30 18:46
From Van Vorst Park
Group:
Registered Users
I'm not sure if it exists, but somebody needs to do a massive study on the transportation infrastructure of the entire NYC area, and what can be done to keep up with the massive amounts of people that will continue to move to the area.

In the five boroughs + Hudson County, there will probably be another 1-2 million people in the next 10-15 years, all of whom will be using the already crumbling systems.

I'm sure such studies exist, but are they available to the public?

In the tri-state, there are generally a lot of transportation options and we likely have the best public transit in the country, or at least the largest and most complex. Some people from other cities might say that we are spoiled. But the infrastructure is very old, and the systems are disjointed. A dream come true would be to have all the multiple systems folded into one regional organization like *every*other*city*in*the*country*(world?).

Things like making Path available on a monthly unlimited Metrocard would be a great start.

Regarding overcrowding on the Path, I trust that Mayor Fulop will be on top of this as JC's population continues to boom. He realizes the importance of this. Whether he puts pressure on the appropriate parties to hasten improvements to Path, or makes sure that there are good alternatives to Path, I'm sure this is front of mind for the mayor.

Posted on: 2013/7/30 14:06

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2019/11/14 1:56
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

hero69 wrote:
why can't they have double-decker path trains which run on low wheels/ low to ground.

They won't fit in the tunnel.

Quote:
also, why doesn't nj transit run double decker buses - megabus does it

They won't fit in Port Authority.

Posted on: 2013/7/30 2:33

PATH and Journal Squared Project to Begin
Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2017/8/9 18:01
From Bayside Park
Group:
Registered Users
According to PATH the signal project when completed adds 15% more capacity basically by shortening the lockout zones between trains (called sections). By the time its finished (I wonder if Sandy caused it to be redesigned to be more water resistant?) I am sure there will be way more than 15% more riders so I dont see much of a gain.

Today at peak times the system is running at full capacity so the signal system and longer trains are about the only hope. One is funded, I guess, and the other is not.

If you notice the trains today pretty much fill up the antique tunnels so higher trains = non starter.

Too bad the Port Authority overspent all their capital on the Freedom Tower ($2B + over budget and still counting) and the yet-to-be-opened new WTC Station (another $2B over budget and still counting). I am guessing $4B could have gone a long way to real long term solutions, but that train has left the station.

Id say we are back to the 19th century Ferry solution. Or maybe a kayak-share program...

Posted on: 2013/7/30 2:26

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2018/10/5 14:16
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

hero69 wrote:
why can't they have double-decker path trains which run on low wheels/ low to ground.

Picture it. If there were two levels, the upper one could not be higher than the present elevation of the floor because the car height is already maxed-out. How much room does that leave for a lower deck?

Posted on: 2013/7/29 17:28

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2018/7/19 15:21
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

nafco wrote:
Quote:

Seagull wrote:

It would be more feasible and realistic for the PA to just create a bike lane through the Holland Tunnel.

And have them get rid of one of four desperately needed and overcapacity lanes for cars? Im an active biker and even I know thats ridiculous.

I'm glad you picked up on my sarcastic point that a viable alternative into Manhattan from JC is not going to happen anytime soon. I agree that the only option is for the PA to step it up with their service.

Posted on: 2013/7/29 16:48

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
Group:
Registered Users

also, why doesn't nj transit run double decker buses - megabus does it

Posted on: 2013/7/29 16:01

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2022/4/27 19:59
From journal square
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

Seagull wrote:

It would be more feasible and realistic for the PA to just create a bike lane through the Holland Tunnel.

And have them get rid of one of four desperately needed and overcapacity lanes for cars? Im an active biker and even I know thats ridiculous.

The only non-impossible approach to quell an increase in population in the area is simply to run more trains. They arent extending platforms if they can barely fix a signal problem thats been an issue forever. Our only hope is they can run these trains with more frequency so they are less packed.

Posted on: 2013/7/29 13:14

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2018/7/19 15:21
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

bodhipooh wrote:
CuriousCat:

The city has no control over the PATH. Only the Port Authority can improve/change the PATH. Not developers, not the city.

About water taxis, have you EVER taken a ferry to Manhattan?? They are NOT crowded. Adding more ferries (which, btw, are private enterprises, not a city service) is not going to do ANYTHING, except maybe raise the ridiculously high fares they already charge (7 dollars from Paulus Hook to Wall Street, and more to go to Midtown.)

How do you suppose a bridge could be built? From where to where?? How do you force NYC to give up precious coastline space? Do you get to shut down the West Side highway for years? And, from the JC side, what land do you take back to get this bridge in place? Demolish Newport? Reclaim land from LSP?

I am all for making this area better, and I would LOVE to be able to bike into NY without having to go up to the GWB, or without jumping into the PATH, but we have to be realistic. A bridge from JC to Manhattan will not happen, EVER.

Posted on: 2013/7/28 13:33

Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

Hide User information
Last Login :
2019/6/19 18:03
From Grove St.
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

CuriousCat wrote:
How did you know the deal on that property was 2009? The tenants are just talking about it now. I don't think they knew.

Give me a break, the deal was made in 09, the closing occured 3 weeks ago, only 4 out of 30 left, and they are just talking now? What are they saying, lets squeeze them some more? Stop the squeze play and get over it.

Posted on: 2013/7/28 12:53

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2014/12/21 14:01
Group:
Banned
Thanks Bodhipooh for your voice of sanity and reality-based approach.

What do you all think of a lightrail stop at the Holland Tunnel and a people mover (like at airports) thru the tunnel.
It could leave people at the Canal Street stop of the #1 train.

Have you noticed that many people naturally form a triangle when standing on the PATH in order to steady themselves? If people put their backpacks in that space they create it might make everyone's ride more comfortable. Social solutions are usually cheaper than physical solutions and can be enforced. As an aside, what do people carry in those filled to the brim backpacks?

Alternatively, shooting people on the spot who stand in doorways would end that practice quickly and satisfy my bloodlust.

Posted on: 2013/7/27 15:02

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2020/4/26 22:05
Group:
Registered Users
CuriousCat:

The city has no control over the PATH. Only the Port Authority can improve/change the PATH. Not developers, not the city.

About water taxis, have you EVER taken a ferry to Manhattan?? They are NOT crowded. Adding more ferries (which, btw, are private enterprises, not a city service) is not going to do ANYTHING, except maybe raise the ridiculously high fares they already charge (7 dollars from Paulus Hook to Wall Street, and more to go to Midtown.)

How do you suppose a bridge could be built? From where to where?? How do you force NYC to give up precious coastline space? Do you get to shut down the West Side highway for years? And, from the JC side, what land do you take back to get this bridge in place? Demolish Newport? Reclaim land from LSP?

I am all for making this area better, and I would LOVE to be able to bike into NY without having to go up to the GWB, or without jumping into the PATH, but we have to be realistic. A bridge from JC to Manhattan will not happen, EVER.

Posted on: 2013/7/27 12:49

Hide User information
Last Login :
2013/8/7 2:55
From JSQ for now
Group:
Registered Users
How did you know the deal on that property was 2009? The tenants are just talking about it now. I don't think they knew.

They should think about the PATH train now, not later. Or make more Water Taxi's now or create a bridge where people can walk, bike, drive, take public transportation.

Posted on: 2013/7/27 3:27
Curious Cat

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2018/7/16 0:04
Group:
Registered Users
Rentals, not condos

Posted on: 2013/7/26 18:27

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2023/4/21 14:20
Group:
Registered Users
about **** time!!! been waiting forever for something to happen.

will those be condos or rentals?

Posted on: 2013/7/26 17:57

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
3/7 17:22
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

hero69 wrote:
Jersey City is not even at peak population. Weren't there far more people taking the PATH in the 1930's peak?

Yes.. but it was spread out over a 24 hour period. In the 1930's, Manhattan and Jersey City were heavy in manufacturing. You had workers going to/from work over three shifts. Now you have the bulk of the people going to/from work in 2.5 hour windows 5 days per week.

Posted on: 2013/7/26 17:26

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
Group:
Registered Users
Jersey City is not even at peak population. Weren't there far more people taking the PATH in the 1930's peak?

Posted on: 2013/7/26 17:14

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2020/9/30 18:46
From Van Vorst Park
Group:
Registered Users
I think the people that are really worried about Path issues with increased population density are overreacting a bit.

Give Jersey City, or at least Mayor Fulop, some credit. They have thought about this stuff. At the very least, they have thought about it a little bit.

Maybe I'm naive, but as the population in JC continues to boom, and it becomes more affluent, Port Authority will be forced to make continuous upgrades. It will happen.

I just really hope that the scheduled date of 2017 for the signal upgrade is moderately accurate.

Posted on: 2013/7/26 17:09

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
3/7 17:22
Group:
Registered Users
The transportation issue is a bit a red herring. Lets assume the PATH doesn't ever upgrade its signal system and therefore has no increase in capacity. There are other future options...

There is an available defunct rail right-of-way that could bring the HBLR to JSQ or near it via the old Erie cut (Bergen Arches). That could peel off commuters who are going to jobs on the Jersey side of the Hudson.

If there are enough upper income people commuting to Midtown and Lower Manhattan, would it then be profitable for NY Waterway to expand its shuttle bus service from JSQ to its ferries?

Expanded bus service to the Port Authority terminal by NJ Transit or private operators?

Posted on: 2013/7/26 16:50

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2016/9/8 19:37
From Soho West
Group:
Registered Users
Yes, tie development of the city to the Port Authority. Make a developing, growing, booming city slow down until an organization that took 6 months to get its system back to capacity, that last added a stop when the Soviet Union was America's biggest threat, gets it act together.

It only makes sense. How can we have people on our subways standing, like a bunch of New Yorkers, Chicagoans, or Londoners. Jersey City is more like a Colts Neck.

We can't have these people spending $400,000 on condominiums and 7k+ in taxes in our city. We simply can't handle their business at this time. Best they go to Brooklyn, a place whose popularity has brought ruinous stories of people standing on subways and waiting for restaurants.

Keep your Whole Foods, Brooklyn! We in Jersey City say NO to further affluence. We are quite happy waiting 20 minutes at the Shop Rite check out. We like the idea that you can walk outside our local courthouse and find a plethora of dollar stores and the finest of dining at McDonalds and White Castle.

I simply dread the though of my property values increasing when my city is better associated with Hoboken and lower Manhattan, and less Elizabeth and Newark, and being forced to endure the vapors on public transport!

Posted on: 2013/7/26 16:20

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2020/4/26 22:05
Group:
Registered Users
Yvonne, how are additional stations going to help with the overcrowding inside trains? What the PATH needs is to extend the existing platforms, so the trains can expand to 10 cars. Even that may be too little too late, as such a project will likely take several years to complete.

Posted on: 2013/7/26 13:26

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
3/21 23:34
Group:
Registered Users
I knew some people who became ill on the PATH system after Hurricane Sandy, it was difficult to handle the overcrowding then. A neighbor couldn't breathe, got off at Christopher Street just to get air. There should be an additional stations on the PATH system before these buildings are in Journal Square.

Posted on: 2013/7/25 22:15

Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

Hide User information
Last Login :
2019/6/19 18:03
From Grove St.
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

CuriousCat wrote:

By the way, one doesn't get years notice, one has to get approved for the new development and who knows if it will be official or not. Look what happened at the lot by the fountain in JSQ. Those people were pushed out not paid out. They shut the water on them and did a bunch of things to get them out of there faster and now the land is empty.

FYI the deal was made on your property in 2009. Leases were not renewed. Approvals or not, the owner was given 2 yrs to vacate, the approvals, political changes (Solomon Dweck) delayed things. The owner was compensated for lost rent as apartments were vacated. If you didn't get a few years notice, then you are one of a very few, if not the only one.

Posted on: 2013/7/25 11:48

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2014/12/15 23:01
Group:
Banned
Regardless, journal square deserves to be a clean, welcoming business hub. So much potential wasted over the past 30 years.

The developments are very exciting!

Posted on: 2013/7/25 2:46

Hide User information
Last Login :
2013/8/7 2:55
From JSQ for now
Group:
Registered Users
Thanks for the video laughs. I bet it probably will look like that in 2020. I think it's sick. I wouldn't want to live like that.

As I mentioned before if you read my first post - I'm not against the development my concern was for the working class people that are being forced out. I'm wondering where are they supposed to live. Does that mean they have to live in the ghetto? What's wrong with being concerned about my (nice and hard working) neighbors.

And yes I did make that post for the TT because I wouldn't want to be clustered in the new building holding over 1800 people situated on top of a train station. Do you realize that you wouldn't even have to leave the building to go inside the PATH? Personally, not my cup of tea. I'm sure it will be a matter of time when they want to knock down my building to continue developing in this area. With that in mind I don't see anything wrong with planning to live someplace nice like TT. It seems more professional than other places I've seen.

By the way, one doesn't get years notice, one has to get approved for the new development and who knows if it will be official or not. Look what happened at the lot by the fountain in JSQ. Those people were pushed out not paid out. They shut the water on them and did a bunch of things to get them out of there faster and now the land is empty.

9/11 did change things. Don't be in denial.

Posted on: 2013/7/25 2:39
Curious Cat

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2014/12/15 23:01
Group:
Banned
Oh no, you mean journal square is one day going to become inhabitable again? You mean it's really going to realize its full potential and become a welcoming business district?

No, please say it isn't so! We have slumlords and drug dealers to think of!! Where in the world will they all go???

Quote:

CuriousCat wrote:
"If you're a renter, do you honestly believe the mere presence of these towers is going to drive rents around JSQ up so dramatically that you'll be forced to move? That, to me, seems extremely unlikely. Sure, in a best case scenario, JSQ gets completely turned around and, inevitably, rents rise. But we're talking about a slow progression over years or a decade."

Yes, I believe that the rents will drive up dramatically. There is a lot of planned construction in the area.

Posted on: 2013/7/24 15:19

Not too shy to talk
Not too shy to talk

Hide User information
Last Login :
2020/8/14 15:07
From Jersey City
Group:
Registered Users
I am glad this is happening. The Journal Square area is a dump and has the potential of being something like the Downtown area now. I moved to McGinley Square recently but after six months I moved to Grove St. As a young professional I wanted more amenities and things to do around me.

I look forward to seeing the growth!

Posted on: 2013/7/24 14:42

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2019/11/14 1:56
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

CuriousCat wrote:
It wouldn't bother you that you have to leave the conveniences of being next to work etc....

If I was the tenant, sure, I'd be upset. Who wouldn't?

However, that's part of life. Renting an apartment does not guarantee you will be able to live there forever, or that the neighborhood won't change.

I don't see why it is impossible for those individuals to move somewhere nearby. As far as I know, rent and/or home prices in JSQ haven't skyrocketed beyond control over the past few years. Those residents should be able to find housing without too much trouble.

Posted on: 2013/7/24 11:04

« 1 2 3 (4) 5 6 »

[Advanced Search]

Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!

LicenseInformation | AboutUs | PrivacyPolicy | Faq | Contact

JERSEY CITY LIST - News & Reviews - Jersey City, NJ - Copyright 2004 - 2017