Register now !    Login  
Main Menu
Who's Online
126 user(s) are online (104 user(s) are browsing Message Forum)

Members: 0
Guests: 126

more...

Browsing this Thread:   2 Anonymous Users

« 1 ... 18 19 20 (21) 22 23 24 ... 31 »

Re: Whole Foods in JC?
Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2016/9/8 19:37
From Soho West
Group:
Registered Users
Eh. I think Jersey City is safer has more amenities. I would say we have a better restaurant and bar selection.

And they only have Whole Foods- and no "normal" grocery stores where you don't spend your savings on groceries. And as far as regular shopping, good luck finding anything like the mall. They do have a Target. But the quality of their pharmacy and convenience stores is lacking compared to ours.

I say this having lived there for nearly a year. I'd much rather live in JC.

And JC is also closer to Lower Manhattan and just as close to Midtown. And I'd rather walk to Hoboken than Washington Heights.

Posted on: 2013/7/24 20:26

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2020/9/30 18:46
From Van Vorst Park
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

Seagull wrote:
Quote:

CdeCoincy wrote:
[quote]
SilveryJessica wrote:
JC is a natural fit for any of the companies we are talking about, whether it is TJ or WF or Fairway.

I wouldn't bet on that - perhaps all the diversity and the fact that JC has a pretty hardcore/crime troubled ghetto might be negatives in their new store process.

Harlem Whole Foods will be finished sometime in 2015 @ 125th Street.

An example of how Harlem has gentrified WAY faster than DTJC. Who would have thought such a thing 10 years ago?

Posted on: 2013/7/24 20:20

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2016/9/8 19:37
From Soho West
Group:
Registered Users
Any Whole Foods or TJ in DTJC will also be used heavily by Hoboken residents.

The "corridor" of, say Paulus Hook to Hoboken or even through Weehawken is full of professionals to sustain such a store. Not to mention how many Hobokenites are too thrilled with their own A&P and Shoprite and Kings?

And further, we also have people who will come to/from the city especially if the location is by the tunnel. My friend in Battery Park shops at Shop Rite.

They have in Millburn, which like DTJC is surrounded by a mixed bag. There's Summit...and then there's West Newark/Elizabeth aka Union which has been in decline for a long time.

Edgewater is another one- Fort Lee on one side, North Bergen on the other.

The mall is a great example of this. There's a lot more high-end places opening there these days. I would argue the same clientele being catered to at Crisp, Qdoba, Guess, and Teavana is much the same as who would use TJ and WF.

Posted on: 2013/7/24 18:04

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2018/7/19 15:21
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

CdeCoincy wrote:
[quote]
SilveryJessica wrote:
JC is a natural fit for any of the companies we are talking about, whether it is TJ or WF or Fairway.

I wouldn't bet on that - perhaps all the diversity and the fact that JC has a pretty hardcore/crime troubled ghetto might be negatives in their new store process.

Harlem Whole Foods will be finished sometime in 2015 @ 125th Street.

Posted on: 2013/7/24 18:00

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2014/12/21 14:01
Group:
Banned
[quote]
SilveryJessica wrote:

I wouldn't bet on that - perhaps all the diversity and the fact that JC has a pretty hardcore/crime troubled ghetto might be negatives in their new store process. For all we know, the wealth in 07302 and 07310 might be off-set in their formuli by the % of that wealth that is spent by ethnic or foreign born residents.

Posted on: 2013/7/24 17:42

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2016/6/20 2:33
Group:
Registered Users
I should have managed editing in the quote box better.
Like this:

Quote:

nygravey wrote:...Shopright next to BJ's... I know it's in a rough area...

Lol. I think you have extremely limited life experience.

Posted on: 2013/7/24 17:02

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2014/12/15 23:01
Group:
Banned
Wow, that's quite a disproportionate response. If you ask the guy at the counter, he'll tell you exactly when it was delivered and will give you fish from a more fresh, unopened package. Again, if you ask.

Got a better idea for fish in DTJC? Just trying to help partner...

Quote:

Binky wrote:
Quote:

nyrgravey9 wrote:
.. but the Shop Rite next to BJ's has surprisingly good fish, if you ask for it. I know it's in a rough area...
I hope that helps.

Posted on: 2013/7/24 15:07

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2021/3/15 20:01
From Downtown - H.P. area
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

SilveryJessica wrote:
I still mourn the loss of the amazing, incredible Food Mart International supermarket we had over where the Target is now. It was in an old Kmart space, so it was gigantic. The other locations have apparently closed, which is very very sad.

Due to their sign almost always having a light bulb or two out, I will always affectionately remember that place as "the Foo Mar."

Posted on: 2013/7/24 15:03

Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

Hide User information
Last Login :
2015/8/5 0:12
From Downtown JC/Harsimus Cove
Group:
Registered Users
I didn't know there was a Fairway on Route 46, thank you. I thought the closest (only?) NJ location was in Paramus. Regardless, JC is a natural fit for any of the companies we are talking about, whether it is TJ or WF or Fairway. I still mourn the loss of the amazing, incredible Food Mart International supermarket we had over where the Target is now. It was in an old Kmart space, so it was gigantic. The other locations have apparently closed, which is very very sad.

Posted on: 2013/7/24 14:06

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2018/7/19 15:21
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

SilveryJessica wrote:
Having just returned here from Brooklyn, I would gladly trade a kidney for a Fairway. I have already spoken to them and they are aware that a location here would mint money, but that is a long way from convincing them to come. They are better quality across the board than Trader Joe's in my opinion, have just as many in-house products that are outstanding, the produce is fantastic, the organic selection is huge and the prepared foods, including house-roasted coffee, in-house baked goods and hot foods, are amazing. I think they have better prices than Whole Foods too. I like WF and TJ's but having shopped at all 3 for the last fifteen-20 years, in my opinion Fairway has them all beaten. I would encourage anyone interested to let them know, as they are very receptive to suggestions, are in an expansion period, and are still small enough to respond personally when they get suggestions.

Just send them a link to this thread!

Posted on: 2013/7/24 0:51

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2020/10/5 21:44
Group:
Registered Users
There is a Fairway not far on RT46W in Woodland Park (which was West Paterson until recently).

Posted on: 2013/7/24 0:15

Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

Hide User information
Last Login :
2015/8/5 0:12
From Downtown JC/Harsimus Cove
Group:
Registered Users
Having just returned here from Brooklyn, I would gladly trade a kidney for a Fairway. I have already spoken to them and they are aware that a location here would mint money, but that is a long way from convincing them to come. They are better quality across the board than Trader Joe's in my opinion, have just as many in-house products that are outstanding, the produce is fantastic, the organic selection is huge and the prepared foods, including house-roasted coffee, in-house baked goods and hot foods, are amazing. I think they have better prices than Whole Foods too. I like WF and TJ's but having shopped at all 3 for the last fifteen-20 years, in my opinion Fairway has them all beaten. I would encourage anyone interested to let them know, as they are very receptive to suggestions, are in an expansion period, and are still small enough to respond personally when they get suggestions.

Posted on: 2013/7/24 0:12

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
Group:
Registered Users
I've good luck at several different Shop Rites regarding good quality, well priced fish.

Posted on: 2013/7/23 19:24

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2020/4/26 22:05
Group:
Registered Users
They do have really good deals on live lobsters from time to time. As far as fish is concerned, I will need to figure out their delivery schedules. I usually avoid that place like the plague (hate the crowds and general unruliness) but if I can score good quality fish locally, I would be happy.

Posted on: 2013/7/23 19:23

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2020/12/23 21:08
Group:
Registered Users
By rough area, i presume he is referring to the crazy parking lot! I always park near Bed Bath and Beyond to avoid the crazy shopping carts.

Quote:

radryan03 wrote:
Based on my extremely limited life experiences, I would second nygravey9 notion that you can grab quality fish in that shop rite. I've purchased nice chilean sea bass and salmon. You can also catch a good deal on live lobster.

Not sure I would call it a rough area - just extremely diverse with a mixed bag of personalities.

Quote:

Binky wrote:
Quote:

nyrgravey9 wrote:
.. but the Shop Rite next to BJ's has surprisingly good fish, if you ask for it. I know it's in a rough area...
I hope that helps.

Posted on: 2013/7/23 19:21

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2018/9/5 2:01
From Hamilton Park
Group:
Registered Users
Based on my extremely limited life experiences, I would second nygravey9 notion that you can grab quality fish in that shop rite. I've purchased nice chilean sea bass and salmon. You can also catch a good deal on live lobster.

Not sure I would call it a rough area - just extremely diverse with a mixed bag of personalities.

Quote:

Binky wrote:
Quote:

nyrgravey9 wrote:
I hope that helps.

Posted on: 2013/7/23 19:13

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2016/6/20 2:33
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

nyrgravey9 wrote:
I hope that helps.

Posted on: 2013/7/23 18:28

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2014/12/15 23:01
Group:
Banned
I doubt anyone will believe what I am about to say, but the Shop Rite next to BJ's has surprisingly good fish, if you ask for it. I know it's in a rough area, but if you call ahead and see when it was delivered, you can grab some top notch tuna and other fish.

I hope that helps.

Quote:

4thandjerz wrote:
Quote:

I'm doing quite well right now with Key Food, P&K, Grove Plaza Farmers' Market and WF Tribeca. A local WF would be great - but at least for me - a reliable fish store would be sufficient.

Fish fish fish! Yes! We've got pretty good access to almost everything else. We need fish.

Posted on: 2013/7/23 17:36

Hide User information
Last Login :
2014/2/16 20:10
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

I'm doing quite well right now with Key Food, P&K, Grove Plaza Farmers' Market and WF Tribeca. A local WF would be great - but at least for me - a reliable fish store would be sufficient.

Fish fish fish! Yes! We've got pretty good access to almost everything else. We need fish.

Posted on: 2013/7/23 17:13

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2023/6/11 23:48
From Western Slope
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

Seagull wrote:
Quote:

CdeCoincy wrote:
Quote:

Seagull wrote:
I don't think anyone on this forum can argue that a Trader Joe's wouldn't make an absolute killing here. Their produce is much cheaper than Whole Foods, and they don't require a massive retail space in order to open a store. Trader Joe's for the win!

If thousands of people inundated their email with location requests, maybe they would take notice?

http://www.traderjoes.com/about/location-requests-form.asp

How about suggesting they locate along a light rail stop so that some of the underserved parts of the city get some better options.

Sounds great. I've already submitted my location request, and I just mentioned Jersey City as a whole, but I hope you submit your request too. The more emails to them the better.

It would be a good idea to flood the store with e-mail request just to show how much of a customer base they would have. A town of wealth is good but a town of greater population is even better.

Posted on: 2013/7/22 11:35
Get on your bikes and ride !

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2023/6/11 23:48
From Western Slope
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

corybraiterman wrote:
Quote:

Monroe wrote:
Be happy the Shop Rite on Marin is actually pretty good.

Wait a couple of years til they tear it down and put up condos on that lot. It'll be real interesting to see where we should do our grocery shopping then

They will relocate the SR to another spot as they did when the one on RT 440 closed down. About 10 years ago SR revamped there locations by positioning their stores to be more centralized so that it can serve many towns or many sections of one city.

Posted on: 2013/7/22 11:32
Get on your bikes and ride !

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2023/7/17 17:42
From Hamilton Park
Group:
Banned
Quote:

hero69 wrote:
I hear that (marin location) is one of the most productive stores in the Shop-Rite chain

Still, it can't be as lucrative for the landlord as some bigass tower. Wonder when their lease runs out?

Problem with building a new tower with a ground floor market is not even the Goldman tower has that big a footprint. Maybe something like the Home Depot with another couple of parking decks and smaller tower stuck on top.

Posted on: 2013/7/22 3:34

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2023/1/30 21:43
Group:
Registered Users
I hear that (marin location) is one of the most productive stores in the Shop-Rite chain

Posted on: 2013/7/22 3:20

Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

Hide User information
Last Login :
2023/6/20 18:54
From Paulus Hook
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

corybraiterman wrote:
Quote:

Monroe wrote:

Wait a couple of years til they tear it down and put up condos on that lot. It'll be real interesting to see where we should do our grocery shopping then

If they do end up putting condos there (or anywhere else nearby), the developers will likely try and put a grocery store into the retail space on the lower floors. Condos and Grocery stores are not mutually exclusive.

On another note, The Fresh Market would be perfect somewhere downtown. It is basically a cross between Whole Foods and Trader Joes in a smaller, Trader Joes type space. They are expanding and would be perfect downtown.

Posted on: 2013/7/22 3:00

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
Group:
Registered Users
Wow! That's some really cool, random trivia, Monroe. Thank you for passing along that information! I actually enjoy learning odd things like that.

Posted on: 2013/7/22 1:23

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

bodhipooh wrote:
The Paterson Plank Road is definitely a great way to make it out to Edgewater quicker than any other route. But, as I have already mentioned before, why drive to Edgewater (and, deal with River Road and the crazy delays that can crop up) when you can jump on the turnpike and drive over to Millburn??? From downtown JC, you can jump on the turnpike extension, which then becomes 78, and you can make it to Millburn in 20 minutes, or less. Once in Millburn, you can hit up a WF and a large-sized TJ's, both of which are within a mile of each other. And, honestly, that WF is SUPER nice. Some of the nicest supermarket employees I have met around this region (other than Wegman's, of course, which is also 20 - 25 minutes away on the turnpike, Exit 11, in Woodbridge.)

You may not know that the Millburn TJ's is built into the former Lord and Taylor department store building, designed by noted industrial designer Raymond Loewy and his firm. (Loewy is perhaps best known for his redesign of the Coke bottle, Avanti automobile, and the Exxon logo). At one time Millburn Avenue was anchored by Lord and Taylor at the east end, and the first Saks outside Manhattan on the west end). If you're going to the area, a visit to the recently redone Greenwood Gardens, an Arts and Crafts era masterpiece.

Posted on: 2013/7/21 15:43

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2020/12/23 21:08
Group:
Registered Users
Agree. Drive to WF Vauxhall /Millburn location is much faster and less traffic-fraught than driving through the Heights or Hoboken to Edgewater. Although, Mitsuwa would be another good reason to drive to there.

Posted on: 2013/7/21 11:09

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2014/12/21 14:01
Group:
Banned
Quote:

Monroe wrote:
Quote:

corybraiterman wrote:
Quote:

Monroe wrote:

Then the free market will support another supermarket to fill any void. Of course, Fresh Direct and similar online based supermarkets are gaining clients daily.

Posted on: 2013/7/21 10:29

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
Group:
Registered Users
The Paterson Plank Road is definitely a great way to make it out to Edgewater quicker than any other route. But, as I have already mentioned before, why drive to Edgewater (and, deal with River Road and the crazy delays that can crop up) when you can jump on the turnpike and drive over to Millburn??? From downtown JC, you can jump on the turnpike extension, which then becomes 78, and you can make it to Millburn in 20 minutes, or less. Once in Millburn, you can hit up a WF and a large-sized TJ's, both of which are within a mile of each other. And, honestly, that WF is SUPER nice. Some of the nicest supermarket employees I have met around this region (other than Wegman's, of course, which is also 20 - 25 minutes away on the turnpike, Exit 11, in Woodbridge.)

Posted on: 2013/7/21 3:09

Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

Hide User information
Last Login :
2017/6/7 17:42
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

Seagull wrote:
Quote:

Asif wrote:
The TJs is only 20-25 minutes at the most. The route i used to take was...to cut through Hoboken. Just avoid going during rush hour.

That's amazing. You'll have to share your route with me. Where are you leaving from? You no longer cut through Hoboken? It takes me about 15 minutes just to get through Hoboken alone.

Just take Paterson Plank Rd north and cut back over after you pass most of Hoboken (around 14th St).
From Hamilton Park takes me about 25 minutes.

Posted on: 2013/7/21 1:46

« 1 ... 18 19 20 (21) 22 23 24 ... 31 »

[Advanced Search]

Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!

LicenseInformation | AboutUs | PrivacyPolicy | Faq | Contact

JERSEY CITY LIST - News & Reviews - Jersey City, NJ - Copyright 2004 - 2017