Register now !    Login  
Main Menu
Who's Online
110 user(s) are online (90 user(s) are browsing Message Forum)

Members: 0
Guests: 110

more...

Browsing this Thread:   1 Anonymous Users

« 1 ... 32 33 34 (35) 36 37 38 ... 60 »

Re: PATH (pathetic attempt at transporting humans)
Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2020/4/26 22:05
Group:
Registered Users
Did you miss the part about having to make it to the ferry??? That's usually a slow bus ride for many commuters, unless they can get a ride from someone to the ferry station.

The difference of the light rail option, if it ever came to be, is that a Staten Island service would likely have a service similar to the already existing Bayonne Flyer, which skips several stops to improve trip times. I would assume they would make it to Pavonia in 40 minutes, or less, and then the PATH to midtown is another 25 - 30 minutes (including transfer time). That's a lot faster than what they currently enjoy.

Posted on: 2013/7/26 13:04

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2022/4/28 22:07
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

bodhipooh wrote:

And? Guaranteed that many, many SI people will rather pay three fares, and make it to the city much faster, than enduring their usual 2+ hour commute. I have friends who spend at least two hours, each way, getting to/from home in SI. It is an insane commute, and honestly I never understood why people do it. For many of them, commuting involves a bus, or car ride, to the ferry, then the ferry, then the subway (or, bus). My usual 45-minute commute from JC to midtown is envied by many, many people. :)

not really sure how this saves much time. light rail from SI would be a good 40 min, path to wtc from exchange place is 10. pretty sure the ferry from SI to manhattan is less than 50 minutes

Posted on: 2013/7/26 3:27

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

In our region's insane, balkanized transit reality, wouldn't this route from Staten Island to NYC require three fares on three separate commuter lines?

And? Guaranteed that many, many SI people will rather pay three fares, and make it to the city much faster, than enduring their usual 2+ hour commute. I have friends who spend at least two hours, each way, getting to/from home in SI. It is an insane commute, and honestly I never understood why people do it. For many of them, commuting involves a bus, or car ride, to the ferry, then the ferry, then the subway (or, bus). My usual 45-minute commute from JC to midtown is envied by many, many people. :)

Posted on: 2013/7/25 21:31

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2020/5/9 11:15
Group:
Registered Users
I remember when PATH built elevators in the Newport PATH station that go to the train platforms. I was amazed that the cost was $14 million.

Posted on: 2013/7/25 20:57

Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

Hide User information
Last Login :
2021/1/29 13:51
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

ianmac47 wrote:
There is some interesting articles on expanding the HBLR into Staten Island, with the idea of connecting the island to PATH to quicken the commute.

Proposal to create West Shore Light Rail on Staten Island needs big-time supporters
http://www.silive.com/westshore/index ... proposal_needs_big-t.html

Staten Island Economic Development Corporation 'not giving up' on West Shore Light Rail
http://www.silive.com/news/index.ssf/ ... giving_up_on_west_sh.html

Staten Island Week 2013: Mayoral Campaign Could Get Long-Delayed Light Rail Lines Back On Track
http://www.ny1.com/content/top_storie ... -rail-lines-back-on-track

Proposed Map
http://www.siedc.org/Capital-Projects/west-shore-light-rail

In our region's insane, balkanized transit reality, wouldn't this route from Staten Island to NYC require three fares on three separate commuter lines?

Posted on: 2013/7/25 15:32

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2021/3/15 20:01
From Downtown - H.P. area
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

ianmac47 wrote:
There is some interesting articles on expanding the HBLR into Staten Island, with the idea of connecting the island to PATH to quicken the commute.

Proposal to create West Shore Light Rail on Staten Island needs big-time supporters

Staten Island Economic Development Corporation 'not giving up' on West Shore Light Rail

Staten Island Week 2013: Mayoral Campaign Could Get Long-Delayed Light Rail Lines Back On Track

Proposed Map

Pump all of Staten Island into the PATH system. Good idea.....

Posted on: 2013/7/25 15:10

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2019/11/7 23:14
Group:
Registered Users
Does anyone have any idea why they decided to put up all those yellow chains on the WTC platform above the tracks? They're unnecessarily (from what I can tell) forcing the huge crowds into a very narrow corral, especially during the morning commute, and it doesn't appear that there's any logical reason for it.

Posted on: 2013/7/25 14:47

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2022/6/15 16:59
From Mars
Group:
Registered Users

Proposed Map

Posted on: 2013/7/25 14:41

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2023/1/15 1:13
From Leashless Glory.
Group:
Banned
Only slightly dehumanizing. PATH is almost there.

Posted on: 2013/7/23 15:16

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2017/11/7 17:48
From 8th st
Group:
Registered Users

Posted on: 2013/7/23 13:58

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2023/6/11 23:48
From Western Slope
Group:
Registered Users
Don't forget both govenors have a lot to do with what comes and goes in the PATH they have the final say and sign off on everything that occurs in the PA. Remember that extra tunnel that was to be built it was nixed by Governor Christie.

Posted on: 2013/7/23 12:08
Get on your bikes and ride !

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2018/2/1 3:02
From JC
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

fat-ass-bike wrote:
The problem isn't with the patrons of the PATH, its the quality of service - We desperately need more trains and any other form of public transport into and out of Manhattan - Our population and demographics have increased and changed so we need a wider or another tunnel into NY that caters for bikes, pederstrians and more trains to cope with the need - We have a clear unbalance of demand and supply.

We do, but between a corrupt and unaccountable Port Authority, and various bootlickers who post on this forum repeatedly defending the PATH and telling us how lucky we are, don't expect change anytime soon.

Posted on: 2013/7/23 3:36

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2022/2/28 7:31
From 280 Grove Street
Group:
Registered Users
The problem isn't with the patrons of the PATH, its the quality of service - We desperately need more trains and any other form of public transport into and out of Manhattan - Our population and demographics have increased and changed so we need a wider or another tunnel into NY that caters for bikes, pederstrians and more trains to cope with the need - We have a clear unbalance of demand and supply.

Posted on: 2013/7/22 23:58
My humor is for the silent blue collar majority - If my posts offend, slander or you deem inappropriate and seek deletion, contact the webmaster for jurisdiction.

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2022/4/28 22:07
Group:
Registered Users
I do this constantly on my way home, going up to 33rd, then back. I loathe it, but I'd rather spend an extra 15-30 minutes on a train as long as I'm sitting, rather than standing another 20+ after working 8 hours on my feet. It's a damn shame, but until they actually lengthen the stations and add more cars to trains, there ain't shiat else to do (or just add service on supposed off-peak hours)

Posted on: 2013/7/22 19:29

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
Group:
Registered Users
Sadly, I have had to resort to this, as well. Sometimes I do it in the early evenings, but hardly ever in the mornings (I get to ride a little bit past the rush hour trains.) I am sure more and more people will start resorting to this sort of tactic to be able to score a seat, or some prime spot inside the train cars.

More often than not, I simply avoid the 33rd/JSQ line and ride the PATH to Hoboken and ride my bike back from there. It is much faster to do this than to wait for a train with enough room so I can squeeze in, plus I get to avoid the usual stink eye reaction from other commuters I have annoyed by bringing my bike on board during the times permitted to do so.

I have always been a fan of the PATH, but over the past two years we have seen a decrease in service, two fare increases (albeit, only 25 cents each) and the overcrowding has gotten worse. I am starting to sour on the PATH commute.

Posted on: 2013/7/22 19:24

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2019/11/7 23:14
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

Dahood wrote:
Hope it does not reach a point where the peak time commuters have to start boarding trains going in the reverse direction to JSQ to get into the city.

LOL - I do this if I'm near 9th, 14th, or 23rd and on my way home to JSQ. I figure the 67% chance that the train will turn around and head to JSQ is worth the 33% risk that I'll end up on the wrong train when we get to 33rd, to turn around.

And to whoever wrote about the trains accelerating, I've definitely noticed the occasional WTC PATH train hit the gas on the hard left turn on the way into the station. It doesn't happen often, thankfully, but so help me I'm amazed that you don't hear of people breaking their wrist, holding onto the pole while the train is whipping around!

Posted on: 2013/7/22 19:16

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
From Western Slope
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

Dahood wrote:
Hope it does not reach a point where the peak time commuters have to start boarding trains going in the reverse direction to JSQ to get into the city.

Hey that's cheating !

Posted on: 2013/7/22 12:46

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
From Western Slope
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

fat-ass-bike wrote:
We really need to take note on the Indian railway system - We have a long way to go before our trains ever get full and should consider ourselves lucky with the space available to us in trains during peak periods!

Resized Image

Taking a look at this picture shows that they have come a really long way to get to civilization.

Posted on: 2013/7/22 12:45

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2018/6/12 15:20
From Downtown Ex Pat happy in McGinley Sq.
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

Dahood wrote:
Yes I have noticed that and I have noticed the same annoying behavior on NYC subways too.

Quote:
I'll resort to pushing the idiots that don't move all the way into the train before that happens. Have you ever noticed how everyone crowds the doors, and there's always a two or three body amount of space in the corners at all times?

Coincidence, no? The annoying NYC'ers are moving here in droves and bringing their attitudes and bad manner with them. Been a chronic problem in DTJC for about 5-7 years now, unfortunately.l

Posted on: 2013/7/21 2:45

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2020/4/18 19:17
From Way Downtown
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

SRhia wrote:
ha ha! I've seen this commercial before - is it for real, or is it just a setup for a commercial?

BTW, our system also doesn't compare to the crowdedness on the HK subway - they always have workers on the platforms to help "push" you into the trains to make sure they are "properly and fully" packed!!!

I think you have Hong Kong confused with Tokyo (unless the HK population has tripled since I commuted daily by subway there. not impossible.)

Posted on: 2013/7/21 1:58

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2017/9/12 11:53
Group:
Registered Users

That is a pretty well known picture. It's Pakistan not India. And I believe the HK system is the only profitable one in the world.

Posted on: 2013/7/20 19:50

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2019/5/9 22:13
Group:
Registered Users
ha ha! I've seen this commercial before - is it for real, or is it just a setup for a commercial?

BTW, our system also doesn't compare to the crowdedness on the HK subway - they always have workers on the platforms to help "push" you into the trains to make sure they are "properly and fully" packed!!!

Posted on: 2013/7/20 18:50

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2022/2/28 7:31
From 280 Grove Street
Group:
Registered Users
We really need to take note on the Indian railway system - We have a long way to go before our trains ever get full and should consider ourselves lucky with the space available to us in trains during peak periods!

Resized Image

Posted on: 2013/7/20 17:34
My humor is for the silent blue collar majority - If my posts offend, slander or you deem inappropriate and seek deletion, contact the webmaster for jurisdiction.

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2018/1/6 18:15
Group:
Banned
Yes I have noticed that and I have noticed the same annoying behavior on NYC subways too.

Quote:
I'll resort to pushing the idiots that don't move all the way into the train before that happens. Have you ever noticed how everyone crowds the doors, and there's always a two or three body amount of space in the corners at all times?

Posted on: 2013/7/20 14:40

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2018/7/19 15:21
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

Dahood wrote:

Posted on: 2013/7/20 13:23

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2018/1/6 18:15
Group:
Banned

Posted on: 2013/7/20 13:11

Re: VIP Path Petition
Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2017/8/9 18:01
From Bayside Park
Group:
Registered Users
You'd need a VIP tunnel first. On a serious note i think the ferry serves as a VIP option given the fare difference.

Posted on: 2013/7/20 13:10

VIP Path Petition

Hide User information
Last Login :
2013/11/3 14:02
Group:
Registered Users
I've heard lots of complaints about over crowding in the PATH due to new construction and delays and I think I have come up with a good solution: VIP path trains. Fees collected would go to putting additional trains into service. A rigorous application process would also be helpful.

Posted on: 2013/7/20 3:54

Antiquated PATH (pathetic attempt at transporting humans)
Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2017/8/9 18:01
From Bayside Park
Group:
Registered Users
So the tunnel that supports the 33rd st route was completed in 1907 making the route more than 100 years old. Those rings you see bolted together in some of the stations are the original tunnel liners made of cast iron. While I am sure the track has been updated to some degree, its still built on a gravel bed with alot of very tight turns and switches for trains going to HOB, Newport, Exchange place, and crossing over each other. All of which makes for a very bumpy ride with tight turns since I am sure the system was originally built for much slower trains.

Now that the system is running at maximum capacity during rush hour, PATH is probably running the trains as fast as they can safely operate them to move as much traffic as possible. They are working on a project to upgrade the signalling system so that they can add roughly 15% more capacity, but once that is done, the system is maxed out. And I assume by the time the new capacity is added, the increase in ridership will have already absorbed whatever gains are made.

Bottom line is that the only forseeable possibility to increase transport capacity to Manhattan will be ferries. I dont see any sign that PATH has a master plan beyond the signal upgrade.

Anyway back to the roller coaster. When you ride the WTC route between Exchange Place and WTC it is fast, smooth and quiet. These tracks are welded and on concrete which i guess was done after the terrorist attack and subsequent shutdown. I cant see PATH taking the 33rd st tunnel out of service for the amount of time it would take to update the tracks, so the only hope is a new tunnel. And thats probably not in my lifetime...

Posted on: 2013/7/13 23:07

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2016/3/4 21:43
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

Vigilante wrote:
I almost never ride the trains at rush hour. Thursday night I did after the power outage delay. I got on the JSQ train at 33rd and waited as the cars steadily filled to crushing as departures were delayed 10-15 minutes. After a few minutes with the car packed I left to take the Hoboken train which had plenty of room and even open seats. I figured I'd rather walk the extra 20 minutes then deal with the inhuman crowding. We departed first and I actually felt bad for the people left on each platform as we passed through the stations. There wasn't a chance in hell they were going to fit on the JSQ train. The PATH system is doomed as an easy commute for 9 to 5ers.

I got to Christopher Street around 6:30 when they announced the outage. No way in hell I was going to gamble with the JSQ line and hopped on a Hoboken train. I wound up walking home but why can't NJT and the PATH work together when sh*t goes down? I could have taken the 126 bus or the lightrail but had no extra cash on me (and I'm not going to spend over $2 for a 5 minute ride to the Newport stop.

Prepare for mote outages as summer ptogresses.

Posted on: 2013/7/13 22:15

« 1 ... 32 33 34 (35) 36 37 38 ... 60 »

[Advanced Search]

Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!

LicenseInformation | AboutUs | PrivacyPolicy | Faq | Contact

JERSEY CITY LIST - News & Reviews - Jersey City, NJ - Copyright 2004 - 2017