Register now !    Login  
Main Menu
Who's Online
129 user(s) are online (113 user(s) are browsing Message Forum)

Members: 0
Guests: 129

more...

Browsing this Thread:   1 Anonymous Users

Re: Jersey City Shootings
Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2019/12/26 15:30
From GV Bayside Park
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

BergenWood wrote:
"These are our homes and our streets and we fought for them."
From yesterday's NYT: Stalwart Citizens, Not Just Police Tactics, Deserve Credit as Crime Ebbs

I like this idea and think it will work.

Posted on: 2013/7/18 1:37

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2019/12/26 15:30
From GV Bayside Park
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

Dolomiti wrote:
Quote:

vegasjamone wrote:
I know that JC always has it's share of shootings, especially during the summertime, but this is getting ridiculous.

What is?

Are there actually more shootings this year than in recent years? (Answer: Barely.)

Do you realize that violent crime rates have generally gone down over the last few years? Before 2005, the rate was typically above 600 violent incidents per year; between 2009 and 2011, it was closer to 425.

Are you aware that in 2012, homicides fell to record low of 13? That this was the lowest rate since 1969?

Are you aware that there have been only 7 homicides in JC so far this year? Of course, any homicide is bad. But that's fewer than in most years.

So tell me, what is it that has gotten worse, in your estimation?

I think the original poster is just noticing the shootings while many live with them daily.

Posted on: 2013/7/18 1:11

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2019/11/14 1:56
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

vegasjamone wrote:
I know that JC always has it's share of shootings, especially during the summertime, but this is getting ridiculous.

What is?

Are there actually more shootings this year than in recent years? (Answer: Barely.)

Do you realize that violent crime rates have generally gone down over the last few years? Before 2005, the rate was typically above 600 violent incidents per year; between 2009 and 2011, it was closer to 425.

Are you aware that in 2012, homicides fell to record low of 13? That this was the lowest rate since 1969?

Are you aware that there have been only 7 homicides in JC so far this year? Of course, any homicide is bad. But that's fewer than in most years.

So tell me, what is it that has gotten worse, in your estimation?

Posted on: 2013/7/18 0:52

Quite a regular
Quite a regular

Hide User information
Last Login :
2019/5/16 13:02
Group:
Registered Users
"These are our homes and our streets and we fought for them."
From yesterday's NYT: Stalwart Citizens, Not Just Police Tactics, Deserve Credit as Crime Ebbs

Posted on: 2013/7/17 21:49

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2020/1/27 22:17
From Hamilton Park
Group:
Registered Users
that's a great idea, in theory.

I drive and retrieve my daughter twice during school days in Academy One. The streets around the school has literally dozens and dozens of shady characters loitering around, standing in the middle of streets, playing craps on the sidewalk, eyeing every passenger in every vehicle that passes and most of the time you have to drive around them

The Police station is right next to the school but drug deals are happening one block away.

Neighborhood watch in this area would be a joke.

Quote:

Lima17 wrote:
Quote:

AlexC wrote:
sounds good

tell me who is going to volunteer and how it's going to work in these neighborhoods that have recently experienced gun violence (under the JC List thread "First Killing...")

Quote:

Yvonne wrote:
You can thank Jerry McCann for getting rid of the auxiliary police. Unpaid citizens took the same training as police officers but did not carry a gun. They patrol in groups of 3 to 5. We should bring that back.

You could have the auxiliary police patrol the safer neighborhoods, allowing the professional force to have a larger presence in the more volatile neighborhoods.

Posted on: 2013/7/17 19:02

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2017/12/28 0:40
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

AlexC wrote:
sounds good

tell me who is going to volunteer and how it's going to work in these neighborhoods that have recently experienced gun violence (under the JC List thread "First Killing...")

Quote:

Yvonne wrote:
You can thank Jerry McCann for getting rid of the auxiliary police. Unpaid citizens took the same training as police officers but did not carry a gun. They patrol in groups of 3 to 5. We should bring that back.

You could have the auxiliary police patrol the safer neighborhoods, allowing the professional force to have a larger presence in the more volatile neighborhoods.

Posted on: 2013/7/17 15:35

Hide User information
Last Login :
2013/7/25 0:46
Group:
Registered Users
Just read this article on NJ.com earlier today that applies to this topic:

NJ.COM Article

Posted on: 2013/7/17 15:33

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2018/10/5 14:16
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

AlexC wrote:
yes - it all starts with raising children to become responsible people.

And stop freaking them out.

http://www.economist.com/blogs/charle ... /bl/spankingandcrimerates

People who as children experienced the ?powerlessness? of frequent spankings report a disproportionately greater interest later in life to own guns, Mr Pfeiffer says. They also demand more draconian prison sentences, including the death penalty, for convicted criminals. And they seem more prone to violence themselves. In a study of 45,000 ninth-graders Mr Pfeiffer conducted in 2007-08, those kids who had been beaten by their parents were five times as likely to commit repeated crimes or to use cannabis, and missed school four times more frequently for ten days a year or more.

Posted on: 2013/7/17 12:53

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2017/11/7 17:48
From 8th st
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

AlexC wrote:

I would guess a good chuck of the people causing the problem have one or both parents in jail. It's a vicious cycle. OTOH, I have at least a little bit of hope that our recent bouts of national sanity regarding drug policy and sentencing helps breaks this cycle a little bit.

Less people going to jail for drug crimes, means less people on the streets who have had their attitude shaped by years in prison.

Of course none of that helps in the short term.

Posted on: 2013/7/17 12:10

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2023/6/11 23:48
From Western Slope
Group:
Registered Users
http://www.nj.com/hudson/index.ssf/20 ... t_night.html#incart_river
Religious Building Riddled With Bullets
A Jersey City mosque at Montgomery Street near Florence Street was riddled with bullets last night after gunmen opened fire on a 23-year-old who was shopping at a nearby store, police officials said.

Posted on: 2013/7/17 12:06
Get on your bikes and ride !

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2023/9/27 23:03
From Jersey City yo!
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

1stStGuy wrote:
Quote:

SteveWilson29 wrote:
Quote:

TonyQuags wrote:
The only way the shooting will subside is to compensate the shooters before the shooting, as to curb the attitude of the shooters; positively. Another words, the do gooders are worthless and weak, good luck predicting the future, and welcome to the rest of your fuc'in lives.

As in

Nice to meet you, I'm life, I didn't get you're name? What's that? O wait you're on a different planet than me. You don't exist.

zzz,

What planet are you from?

Apparently not a planet that speaks English.

What?

Posted on: 2013/7/17 11:47

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2022/2/28 7:31
From 280 Grove Street
Group:
Registered Users
Resized Image

Posted on: 2013/7/17 11:30
My humor is for the silent blue collar majority - If my posts offend, slander or you deem inappropriate and seek deletion, contact the webmaster for jurisdiction.

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2014/12/21 14:01
Group:
Banned
Quote:

1stStGuy wrote:
Quote:

SteveWilson29 wrote:
Quote:

TonyQuags wrote:
The only way the shooting will subside is to compensate the shooters before the shooting, as to curb the attitude of the shooters; positively. Another words, the do gooders are worthless and weak, good luck predicting the future, and welcome to the rest of your fuc'in lives.

As in

Nice to meet you, I'm life, I didn't get you're name? What's that? O wait you're on a different planet than me. You don't exist.

zzz,

Not an astronomer, but I'm guessing Uranus.

Posted on: 2013/7/17 11:24

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2016/8/18 23:27
From Heights
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

SteveWilson29 wrote:
Quote:

TonyQuags wrote:

As in

zzz,

Posted on: 2013/7/17 11:21

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2015/2/5 16:38
Group:
Banned
Quote:

TonyQuags wrote:

As in

zzz,

Posted on: 2013/7/17 10:18

Not too shy to talk
Not too shy to talk

Hide User information
Last Login :
2016/8/22 11:34
Group:
Registered Users

As in

zzz,

Posted on: 2013/7/17 4:25

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
From Hamilton Park
Group:
Registered Users
sounds good

Quote:

Yvonne wrote:

Posted on: 2013/7/17 4:11

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2017/12/28 0:40
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

Yvonne wrote:

I agree, bringing back the auxiliary police would be a good idea. Did McCann provide a reason for getting rid of it?

Posted on: 2013/7/17 3:41

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2015/2/5 16:38
Group:
Banned
Quote:

mwa7368 wrote:
Hire more cops and enact a stop and frisk policy, watch crime plummet.

Yes, let's criminalize and harass entire populations with a method that doesn't even work.

Posted on: 2013/7/17 3:38

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
3/21 23:34
Group:
Registered Users

Posted on: 2013/7/17 3:19

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
From Hamilton Park
Group:
Registered Users
I don't agree 100%, but it works in NYC.

Know what the problem with this is? Cops would have to do stop/frisk for those people in areas like Paulus Hook, like those workers going to/from Goldman Sachs in addition to other places, otherwise there'll be screams of "Profiling"

Quote:

mwa7368 wrote:

Quote:

vegasjamone wrote:
I know that JC always has it's share of shootings, especially during the summertime, but this is getting ridiculous. Has anybody noticed more of a police presence anywhere? It just seems that these criminals are running around and shooting with impunity.

If City Hall nor the JCPD can keep up with the pace then we need to start doing something as a community. Sure, I don't want to get shot patrolling an area Guardian Angels style, but I feel that there are enough people in JC fed up with the shootings that we could make an impact.

Any meaningful thoughts?

Posted on: 2013/7/17 3:17

Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

Hide User information
Last Login :
2014/7/12 15:39
Group:
Registered Users
You could start a neighborhood watch like they have in Sanford Fla. Wait a minute maybe that is not such a good idea you will end up getting prosecuted by the state or feds for looking out for your neighbors if anything goes amiss.

Posted on: 2013/7/17 3:12

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2015/4/29 16:55
Group:
Registered Users

Quote:

vegasjamone wrote:
I know that JC always has it's share of shootings, especially during the summertime, but this is getting ridiculous. Has anybody noticed more of a police presence anywhere? It just seems that these criminals are running around and shooting with impunity.

If City Hall nor the JCPD can keep up with the pace then we need to start doing something as a community. Sure, I don't want to get shot patrolling an area Guardian Angels style, but I feel that there are enough people in JC fed up with the shootings that we could make an impact.

Any meaningful thoughts?

Posted on: 2013/7/17 3:03

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2023/1/30 21:43
Group:
Registered Users
I agree with alexc - there are just too many irresponsible parents.

Posted on: 2013/7/17 2:56

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
From Hamilton Park
Group:
Registered Users

Posted on: 2013/7/17 2:24

Jersey City Shootings

Hide User information
Last Login :
2013/7/25 0:46
Group:
Registered Users

Any meaningful thoughts?

Posted on: 2013/7/17 1:20

[Advanced Search]

Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!

LicenseInformation | AboutUs | PrivacyPolicy | Faq | Contact

JERSEY CITY LIST - News & Reviews - Jersey City, NJ - Copyright 2004 - 2017