Register now !    Login  
Main Menu
Who's Online
132 user(s) are online (112 user(s) are browsing Message Forum)

Members: 0
Guests: 132

more...

Browsing this Thread:   1 Anonymous Users

(1) 2 3 »

Re: Fulop ally set to hire daughter as $15K-a-year aide
Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
3/21 23:34
Group:
Registered Users
cronyism

Posted on: 2013/7/9 18:36

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2023/1/15 1:13
From Leashless Glory.
Group:
Banned
Quote:

murican wrote:
Quote:

Vigilante wrote:
Meet the new boss. Same as the old boss?

The news report below, the post from the Mayor, himself, and the other posts, show a quite different regime.

A mayor who if he cannot directly stop impropriety warns the offender and urges reconsideration, a mayor who communicates and responds quickly to issues.

I would say this boss is quite different from the old bosses!

I refer to the council person.

Posted on: 2013/7/8 16:19

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2018/4/25 16:16
From Hamilton Park
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

Vigilante wrote:

The news report below, the post from the Mayor, himself, and the other posts, show a quite different regime.

A mayor who if he cannot directly stop impropriety warns the offender and urges reconsideration, a mayor who communicates and responds quickly to issues.

I would say this boss is quite different from the old bosses!

Posted on: 2013/7/8 14:03

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2023/1/15 1:13
From Leashless Glory.
Group:
Banned

Posted on: 2013/7/8 1:23

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2023/11/26 22:12
Group:
Registered Users
Watterman, Jersey City Councilwoman at large, changes her mind, won?t hire her daughter

By Terrence T. McDonald/The Jersey Journal
July 05, 2013 at 2:45 PM

Jersey City City Councilwoman at large Joyce Watterman, who had been planning to hire her daughter as her paid council aide, announced Wednesday through the city that she has opted to appoint someone else to the position.

Watterman, 55, who was the top vote-getter in both the May 14 municipal race and the June 11 runoff election, said in a statement from the city that her daughter, Jennifer, will instead work in her office in an unpaid capacity.

"My daughter is one of the brightest and most dedicated people I know, and has a superior work ethic," Watterman said. "She understands and cares about the community, which is why she asked how she can be of assistance to me in this new role. I am thrilled she has agreed to serve in a volunteer capacity."

Earlier this week, The Jersey Journal reported that Watterman intended to hire her daughter as council aide, a job that comes with a $15,000 annual salary, benefits and pension credits. Watterman, who ran in May?s election on a ticket headed by Mayor Steve Fulop, initially defended the choice, saying that her daughter has experience as an administrative assistant.

But Fulop, who railed against nepotism and patronage during his successful campaign for mayor, told The Jersey Journal that he would urge Watterman to select someone other than her daughter to work in her office.

Watterman said Wednesday she will seek applicants for the job from the community at large.

The statement from the city said Watterman would be breaking from the policies of the past by not hiring her daughter after all.

http://www.nj.com/jjournal-news/index ... jersey_city_councilw.html

Posted on: 2013/7/8 1:19

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
1/7 4:19
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

Bill463 wrote:
I'm very surprised to read this here today. Our new mayor would allow this? This goes against everything he stands for from what I understand. How this woman can just give her daughter a part time job with benefits?? Insane. I doubt that our new mayor will allow this, I mean how can he? Again it is everything he is against. I cannot believe I'm reading this less that 24 hours after he was sworn in.
did you read anything in this thread? Or the comments he gave on it?

Posted on: 2013/7/5 14:26

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2023/6/11 23:48
From Western Slope
Group:
Registered Users
Great photo of Ben there FAB. By the way is this the first posting/reply by Mayor Fulop as mayor ? A mayor that communicates at all levels what a concept. Thank you Mayor for keeping us informed and up to date.

Posted on: 2013/7/5 10:59
Get on your bikes and ride !

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2022/2/28 7:31
From 280 Grove Street
Group:
Registered Users
Careful Steven, you'll get re-elected if you maintain an open and transparent administration that will review those 'time honoured practices'.
The legacy you leave for this city has started ... good-luck and practice what you preach.

Resized Image

Posted on: 2013/7/4 14:30
My humor is for the silent blue collar majority - If my posts offend, slander or you deem inappropriate and seek deletion, contact the webmaster for jurisdiction.

Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

Hide User information
Last Login :
2017/3/27 19:46
Group:
Registered Users
The council aide positions are the hiring decision of only the councilperson by law. It is the one position that doesn't fall under the mayors office by law on hiring. The city does have policies in place and of course I am adhering to them on my end but the council aide position falls beyond that by law as it is only the individual councilperson who decides.

In the end it is a good that the right thing happened.... Maybe messy how it got there but the right outcome nevertheless.

Posted on: 2013/7/4 14:18

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2014/11/16 18:32
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

JerseyCityFrankie wrote:
I think "kudos for Waterman" is a bit strong since in my view its more a case of someone starting things off on a very obvious wrong foot and not cause for congratulation. Sh eshould have known not to try to get away with it. Kudos to us for not having to swallow nepotism right off the bat.
kudos |?k(y)o??d?s; -?d?z; -?d?s|
noun
praise and honor received for an achievement.
ORIGIN late 18th cent.: Greek.
USAGE Kudos comes from Greek and means ?glory.? Despite appearances, it is not a plural form. This means that there is no singular form kudo and that use as a plural, as in the following sentence, is incorrect:: he received many kudos for his work (correct use is | he received much kudos for his work).

Maybe he meant this:

http://www.kudosbar.com/Home

I didn't even know they still made them.

Posted on: 2013/7/4 5:28

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2017/9/12 11:53
Group:
Registered Users

I didn't get a good feeling about Waterman or "Chico" from the get go. So far one of my gut reactions was spot on.

Posted on: 2013/7/4 0:59

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2020/7/22 15:58
Group:
Registered Users
I think "kudos for Waterman" is a bit strong since in my view its more a case of someone starting things off on a very obvious wrong foot and not cause for congratulation. Sh eshould have known not to try to get away with it. Kudos to us for not having to swallow nepotism right off the bat.
kudos |?k(y)o??d?s; -?d?z; -?d?s|
noun
praise and honor received for an achievement.
ORIGIN late 18th cent.: Greek.
USAGE Kudos comes from Greek and means ?glory.? Despite appearances, it is not a plural form. This means that there is no singular form kudo and that use as a plural, as in the following sentence, is incorrect:: he received many kudos for his work (correct use is | he received much kudos for his work).

Posted on: 2013/7/3 23:17

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2015/11/10 19:14
Group:
Registered Users
Kudos to Mrs. Watterman for seeing this obvious conflict of interest and kudos to the JC List family who I firmly believe caused enough of a raucous to open her eyes.

Posted on: 2013/7/3 20:42

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
3/24 18:05
From jersey city
Group:
Registered Users
Jersey City councilwoman opts against hiring daughter after all

By Terrence T. McDonald/The Jersey Journal
on July 03, 2013 at 4:08 PM,
updated July 03, 2013 at 4:13 PM

Jersey City City Councilwoman at large Joyce Watterman, who had been planning to hire her daughter as her paid council aide, announced today through the city that she has opted to appoint someone else to the position.

Full JJ piece?

http://www.nj.com/hudson/index.ssf/20 ... ter_all.html#incart_river

Posted on: 2013/7/3 20:22

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2021/9/23 15:07
From Between Thought and Expression
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

Yvonne wrote:
It shows that poor vetting was done, similar to Chico with a phony HS diploma.

Fulop didn't ask you to run, Yvonne. So his vetting was spot on in that instance.

Posted on: 2013/7/3 18:03

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2021/9/23 15:07
From Between Thought and Expression
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

Yvonne wrote:
Joshua, these are not "letters to the editor." Most are related to the election. The JCI is a group letter. Fulop created Candice as a candidate. If she ran independent like Fletcher, I doubt if she would have succeed. Michael Yun and Rich Boggiano were not created by a politician. I will say this also applies to Fulop. While he credits Cunningham for his start in politics. Fulop basically made it on his own. Fulop created the careers of five of the seven who won on his slate. The other two started out on their own. If you are going to create the political careers of someone, then their actions do reflect on the mayor.

So the Fulop backed candidates should be at his beck and call since he gave them the start in politics? Fulop selected independent minded people. I doubt he is expecting them to be rubber stampers. Watterman has to make her own decision. Should applicants be excluded from consideration based solely on their DNA? I don't think this is necessarily fair. I do hope that Ms. Watterman finds an aid other than her daughter or close relative. But either way I'll still support her.

Posted on: 2013/7/3 18:01

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2017/4/20 19:08
Group:
Registered Users
since we are paying for this position, the position should be posted and everyone should be welcome to apply. someone should pick the most qualified applicant - why can't she and other politicians follow this simple process?

Posted on: 2013/7/3 17:30

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
3/24 18:05
From jersey city
Group:
Registered Users
From the JJ comments:

Quote:

Fulop?s hands are tied on this one. But I think Watterman is making a big mistake. People are not going to take her seriously during her current term. Also people are going to remember this in 2017. If she has plans of running again this will be the first item to rip into her with.
Here?s an idea. We have a few College?s and Universities in Jersey City right? Why not make the job of Councilperson aide a non paying intern position. Possibly getting credits for it like working in the Disney World College Program. (ok JC is NO Disney World) Each Councilperson would have a few interns assigned to them so a coverage schedule could be draw up.
Everyone wins. The intern gets to put it on his/her resume and maybe gets some credits. The city doesn?t have to pay anything in wages or bennies. The young people of this city/country get a taste of how government works. (and we don?t have to hear from all of the Healy sore losers on this thread..right phoney?)

Posted on: 2013/7/3 17:26

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2022/11/28 0:04
From New Urbanist Area
Group:
Registered Users
They are all examples of Ms. Osborne speaking or writing on various issues before she was a declared candidate.

Did Candice benefit by being on Steve's ticket. Unquestionably. Was she publicly involved on issues before running on Steve's ticket? Absolutely.

Posted on: 2013/7/3 17:21

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
Group:
Registered Users
Joshua, these are not "letters to the editor." Most are related to the election. The JCI is a group letter. Fulop created Candice as a candidate. If she ran independent like Fletcher, I doubt if she would have succeed. Michael Yun and Rich Boggiano were not created by a politician. I will say this also applies to Fulop. While he credits Cunningham for his start in politics. Fulop basically made it on his own. Fulop created the careers of five of the seven who won on his slate. The other two started out on their own. If you are going to create the political careers of someone, then their actions do reflect on the mayor.

Posted on: 2013/7/3 15:55

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
From New Urbanist Area
Group:
Registered Users

Posted on: 2013/7/3 13:53

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
Group:
Registered Users
Joshua, you are off the subject as usual. This is about using city hall to supply a job for a family member. But if I were to google any comments concerning Candice before her announcement, I strongly doubt I would find any.

Posted on: 2013/7/3 12:06

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
From New Urbanist Area
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

Yvonne wrote:
I am glad she screened her aide. And yes, I never saw her speak at council meetings, she is an unknown. I have no clue since there is no "public address at council meetings, or paper trail" on Candice. In my opinion this is not the way to elect council people. But Candice is not the only one who is an unknown. At least Boggiano is not an unknown. He has spoken before the city council many times and has written numerous "letters to the editor" before he was elected. Boggiano is the type of person that should be on the council and luckily he is.

Candice was involved in numerous issues downtown. That you call her an unknown is less reflective of her involvement and more reflective of your lack of knowledge outside your circle.

Posted on: 2013/7/3 11:43

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2016/6/20 2:33
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

Annod wrote:
Hire someone from your neighborhood who needs a leg up. This will help him/her put something on their resume to find a better job.

If your 30 year old daughter is that good, she can find her own job.

+1

Posted on: 2013/7/3 3:04

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
Group:
Registered Users
It shows that poor vetting was done, similar to Chico with a phony HS diploma.

Posted on: 2013/7/3 1:52

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
Group:
Registered Users

I agree with you Trucker for the most part....but you can't really blame Fulop for something Waterman has to decide directly. Who knows maybe Fulop will put pressure on her to to stop...??? Will see.

And of course Fulop has his sights on becoming Governor....when Christie tries for the White House.

Posted on: 2013/7/3 1:14

Quite a regular
Quite a regular

Hide User information
Last Login :
2021/8/6 0:32
Group:
Registered Users
Um, last time I checked I thought fulop was a politician. JC is a stepping stone for him. He's gotta do what he's gotta do to get to the next job. If that means whispering sweet nothings in the ears of the soccer mommies of JC to get elected, then that's what he'll do. It's not like he actually cares about people! And if it means he will allow shenanigans to happen like this to happen, then that's what he'll do.

Posted on: 2013/7/3 1:03

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
Group:
Registered Users

Not surprised at all. But i wouldn't nor couldn't blame Fulop for this.

Posted on: 2013/7/3 0:55

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2020/9/5 14:18
From Exchange Place
Group:
Registered Users
Hire someone from your neighborhood who needs a leg up. This will help him/her put something on their resume to find a better job.

If your 30 year old daughter is that good, she can find her own job.

Posted on: 2013/7/3 0:32

Hide User information
Last Login :
2013/7/31 3:27
Group:
Registered Users
If Rev. Watterman is having trouble finding viable candidates, maybe the Osborne office could pass along the resumes of the 30 or so viable candidates she didn't hire.

Posted on: 2013/7/3 0:27

(1) 2 3 »

[Advanced Search]

Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!

LicenseInformation | AboutUs | PrivacyPolicy | Faq | Contact

JERSEY CITY LIST - News & Reviews - Jersey City, NJ - Copyright 2004 - 2017