Register now !    Login  
Main Menu
Who's Online
120 user(s) are online (102 user(s) are browsing Message Forum)

Members: 0
Guests: 120

more...

Browsing this Thread:   1 Anonymous Users

Re: JC Police finally enforcing loitering laws...
Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2023/6/11 23:48
From Western Slope
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

HeightsBrat wrote:
Quote:

CatDog wrote:
Quote:

user1111 wrote:
Quote:

malarchie wrote:
From the Jersey City Code of Ordinances:

? 84-38. Definitions.

PUBLIC PLACE - A place to which the public or a substantial group of persons has access, including but not limited to any highway, street, road, sidewalk, parking area, shopping area, place of amusement, playground, park or beach located within the city, except that the definition of a "public place" shall not include those premises duly licensed for the sale and consumption of alcoholic beverages on the premises or within their own private property.

Thanks!

Jersey City Drinking in Public
Jersey City Ordinance ? 84-39 is entitled "Public Consumption Restricted" and, not surprisingly, it prohibits the consumption of alcoholic beverages in "any public place." "Public place" is broadly defined to include just about every part of Jersey City apart from licensed premises. However, there are some limited exceptions to this definition such as "block parties."

So unless you own your property then yes, if you rent NO! you do not rent the stoop. I drink on my patio, I rarely use the front of the house.
just because you rent it doesn't mean you can't drink there. Being a renter mean the property is yours to use.

Why can't you just let me drink on my stoop in peace? Stop bothering everyone.

It was my understanding that you could not sit on your front steps, owner or not, & enjoy a drink as this is considered public drinking. This was told to me by a police officer. I have also seen the police tell a group of adults, enjoying a few brews & a game of dominoes that they either stop drinking or move the game inside. The owner of the house was among the group & they were inside the front gate.

So there seems to be a broad interpretation.

That what backyards are for.

Posted on: 2013/7/3 10:49
Get on your bikes and ride !

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2022/2/28 7:31
From 280 Grove Street
Group:
Registered Users
Always seek a second opinion when getting advice or being directed by a cop if it doesn't sound like a common-sense answer / direction.
I've met many cops that make up rules or have totally misinterpreted legislation and rely on public or personal opinion, myths or previous practice....everything but the law!
Cops are generally good at traffic and obvious crimes they do daily

Posted on: 2013/7/3 8:53
My humor is for the silent blue collar majority - If my posts offend, slander or you deem inappropriate and seek deletion, contact the webmaster for jurisdiction.

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2022/4/26 19:42
From Chilltown, NJ
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

HeightsBrat wrote:
Quote:

CatDog wrote:
Quote:

user1111 wrote:
Quote:

malarchie wrote:

? 84-38. Definitions.

PUBLIC PLACE - A place to which the public or a substantial group of persons has access, including but not limited to any highway, street, road, sidewalk, parking area, shopping area, place of amusement, playground, park or beach located within the city, except that the definition of a "public place" shall not include those premises duly licensed for the sale and consumption of alcoholic beverages on the premises or within their own private property.

Thanks!

Jersey City Ordinance ? 84-39 is entitled "Public Consumption Restricted" and, not surprisingly, it prohibits the consumption of alcoholic beverages in "any public place." "Public place" is broadly defined to include just about every part of Jersey City apart from licensed premises. However, there are some limited exceptions to this definition such as "block parties."

So unless you own your property then yes, if you rent NO! you do not rent the stoop. I drink on my patio, I rarely use the front of the house.
just because you rent it doesn't mean you can't drink there. Being a renter mean the property is yours to use.

It was my understanding that you could not sit on your front steps, owner or not, & enjoy a drink as this is considered public drinking. This was told to me by a police officer. I have also seen the police tell a group of adults, enjoying a few brews & a game of dominoes that they either stop drinking or move the game inside. The owner of the house was among the group & they were inside the front gate.

No it is legal, the JJ even had an article years ago about the police saying it is and how as long as they weren't breaking any other laws they couldn't do anything about it. If my memory serves me correct Fulop wanted to pass a law to make it illegal or something along those lines was said in the article. Never happened though and I disagree with Fulop on that. I think that article came out around the same time Fulop wanted to seize cars of anyone that was caught buying drugs even if the owner had no knowledge and let a friend or family member borrow it. I remember because I didn't like either idea.

Posted on: 2013/7/3 8:37

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2018/7/28 23:29
From Right here!
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

CatDog wrote:
Quote:

user1111 wrote:
Quote:

malarchie wrote:

? 84-38. Definitions.

Thanks!

Posted on: 2013/7/3 1:51

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2022/5/23 10:53
Group:
Registered Users
They do it all the time, its called ?chasing ?d.g.'s?? , disorderly group.

Posted on: 2013/7/3 0:58

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2019/12/26 15:30
From GV Bayside Park
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

CatDog wrote:
Quote:

user1111 wrote:
Quote:

malarchie wrote:

? 84-38. Definitions.

Thanks!

That's exactly what the two blokes said in my OP as they were being arrested, but not as nice LOL good one.

Posted on: 2013/7/3 0:13

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
3/7 17:22
Group:
Registered Users
Now if they could just clear out the vagrants around Journal Square.....

Posted on: 2013/7/3 0:08

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
1/7 4:19
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

user1111 wrote:
Quote:

malarchie wrote:

? 84-38. Definitions.

Thanks!

Posted on: 2013/7/2 23:36

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2022/2/28 7:31
From 280 Grove Street
Group:
Registered Users
General rule of thumb ;

Private propertry is a private exclusive area (residental or business) and not a common area for all (the boundary of your land is private).

Public area is everything else unless signed or legislated as being not a public area or reserved as an authorized area.

City, State and National land is all public with restrictions that have been legislated.

Posted on: 2013/7/2 23:24
My humor is for the silent blue collar majority - If my posts offend, slander or you deem inappropriate and seek deletion, contact the webmaster for jurisdiction.

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2015/2/5 16:38
Group:
Banned
Quote:

user1111 wrote:

A stoop is considered common area of a rental property. Of course you rent that. It certainly isn't a public place. Unauthorized occupation of a stoop is considered trespassing. You can drink on your stoop as a renter.

Posted on: 2013/7/2 22:44

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2014/12/21 14:01
Group:
Banned
Quote:

MarkCore wrote:
Think it is appropriate to sit on the steps of my building in the summer and sip on a couple beers? I know it is a trashy thing to do, but sitting on the stoop and people/car watching is a nice pastime.

I'm not a fashionisto, but I think it's only trashy if you have hairy shoulders when you wear the appropriate shirt.
http://commons.wikimedia.org/wiki/File:Vest.jpg

Beer+Stoops+People Watching = a joy of urban living

Posted on: 2013/7/2 15:32

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
From GV Bayside Park
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

malarchie wrote:

? 84-38. Definitions.

Thanks!

Posted on: 2013/7/2 15:30

Hide User information
Last Login :
2015/12/9 11:26
Group:
Registered Users

? 84-38. Definitions.

Posted on: 2013/7/2 15:24

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2023/7/18 1:45
From Hamilton Park
Group:
Registered Users
Not sure that is correct user1111, I think you are allowed to drink a beer in public view on your own property.

Robin.

Posted on: 2013/7/2 15:22

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2015/2/5 16:38
Group:
Banned
If you're on your own property, you can drink a beer, even outside.

Posted on: 2013/7/2 15:21

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
From GV Bayside Park
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

moobycow wrote:
Quote:

user1111 wrote:
Quote:

MarkCore wrote:
I know it is a trashy thing to do

It is also illegal.

If it is his stoop? I think you can sit on your own stoop, these guys seem to have been hanging out in front of some random building.

Sure he/she can sit on their own stoop, nothing illegal about that. Drinking beer in public is not legal, even if its covered with a brown paper bag. Most of these guys who hang out in front of buildings in BL and GV are doing just that visiting a friend who lives in a building. They have a few beers and smoke a few blunts while watching cars and people go by. Laws are for the entire city not just a few. I am glad to see the JCPD doing something about it.

Posted on: 2013/7/2 15:11

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2017/11/7 17:48
From 8th st
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

user1111 wrote:
Quote:

MarkCore wrote:

It is also illegal.

If it is his stoop? I think you can sit on your own stoop, these guys seem to have been hanging out in front of some random building.

Posted on: 2013/7/2 15:04

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
From GV Bayside Park
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

MarkCore wrote:

It is also illegal.

Posted on: 2013/7/2 14:45

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2015/5/11 13:34
From Downtown
Group:
Registered Users
Think it is appropriate to sit on the steps of my building in the summer and sip on a couple beers? I know it is a trashy thing to do, but sitting on the stoop and people/car watching is a nice pastime.

Posted on: 2013/7/2 14:38

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2023/6/11 23:48
From Western Slope
Group:
Registered Users
This is a great story I hope they throw the book at them and the absentee landlords of the buildings that allow them to loiter in front of their building upsetting the neighborhood around them. When a cop approaches, you should not mouth off to the cop or become confrontational. There must have been an underlying theme here.

Posted on: 2013/7/2 14:31
Get on your bikes and ride !

JC Police finally enforcing loitering laws...
Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
From GV Bayside Park
Group:
Registered Users
Two charged after mouthing off, before one assaults Jersey City cop, police say

Anthony J. Machcinski/The Jersey Journal

Two men were arrested late Sunday night after they mouthed off to police officers telling them multiple times to leave the front of a building, police reports state.

Kojo Tetevi, 19, of Jersey City and Richard Murphy, 23, of West New York were both charged following the incident.

Police said they responded multiple times to a large group standing in front of a Monticello Avenye building near Communipaw Avenue, and told the group that they could not hang out in that location, reports state.

One of the men, identified in reports as Tetevi, then became loud with the officers, saying, "Get the f--- out of here a-------," reports state.

As police placed Tetevi under arrest, a second man riding a bike drove up to officers and yelled, "You f--- think you're tough because you have a badge? Leave him the f--- alone," reports state.

The biker, later identified as Murphy, then led police on a foot pursuit, and shoved an officer to the ground, reports state. Murphy was arrested just blocks away from the incident, reports state.

Tetevi is charged with disorderly conduct, reports state. Murphy is charged with aggravated assault on a police officer, resisting arrest and obstructing governmental function, reports state.

Posted on: 2013/7/2 14:25

[Advanced Search]

Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!

LicenseInformation | AboutUs | PrivacyPolicy | Faq | Contact

JERSEY CITY LIST - News & Reviews - Jersey City, NJ - Copyright 2004 - 2017