Register now !    Login  
Main Menu
Who's Online
27 user(s) are online (20 user(s) are browsing Message Forum)

Members: 0
Guests: 27

more...

Browsing this Thread:   1 Anonymous Users

« 1 2 (3) 4 5 6 »

Re: Jersey City mayor-elect orders end to citywide reval

Hide User information
Group:
Registered Users
Mr Hamster ,
you are right, nobody can judge the work that had been done by previous owners or people or citizens. It is just a question of what kind of law or rule or judgement or common sense we compare that dilemma we are in now.
Mayor Fulop now raised taxes again nearly 8% despite he promised not to go this way.
It is the government which sucks all the money and tell us it is necessary to keep us save and calm and of course to get us all to fight against each other so they can do what they want because we are involved in our daily struggle. Nothing more I wanted to say that the government will never be like we the people want them to be. So my attention is not to fight against each other, but to question decision made by our so to say leaders.
Nobody in Europe is as jealous as people here when somebody has more than them or they are more honest and courage to talk openly about it and don't use any excuse, that's my experience with Europe so far.

That's all I have to say now.

Posted on: 2013/7/11 23:08
Print Top

Hide User information
Group:
Registered Users
Wow, this gave me a headache and I had to log in and comment.

Quote:

These people worked hard to have their own houses . Now you are buying property in this city , what was called " Dirty City" and nobody really wanted to move to Jersey City in that time. Now it is a convenient place to be and much cheaper than NYC and YOU ARE TALKING ABOUT EQUALITY???

But people who buy houses in more recent years could have worked hard too. How do you know? Who's to judge who worked harder? Why should this be a factor in taxes?

Quote:

The Market Value of a home is the probable price that a house will sell for if it is put on the market. It is determined by an analysis of the market (usually by a Realtor). The analysis should include looking at similar properties that have sold within recent times as well as looking at similar prices for homes currently on the market. In addition, if done properly, the analysis should also include those homes that were put on the market but did NOT sell, and were withdrawn.

I agree until the last sentence. Why should the analysis include homes put on the market but did not sell? That may be an indicator of too high price being asked.

Posted on: 2013/7/11 22:47
Print Top

Hide User information
Group:
Registered Users
who are you to judge me to apply fair share???
I do pay more than you ever could imagine !! So what are you accusing me for???

Have a nice sleep!!!

Posted on: 2013/7/11 22:34
Print Top

Hide User information
Group:
Registered Users
THANK YOU FOR CALLING ME A TROLL!! I LOVE THAT BECAUSE YOU DIDN'T UNDERSTAND WHAT I SAID AND YOU DIDN'T COPY ALL OF MY WRITING CORRECTLY!!
SO DON'T FOUL AROUND !!!!!

Posted on: 2013/7/11 22:28
Print Top

Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

Hide User information
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

holymoly wrote:
I don't understand why are you so angry about it. Of course
as I already wrote in another reply , I hate people who are jealous and envious about people who own a property longer than you could imagine and you all haven't even been planned to come to this earth. So these people who own a property longer than any youngster in this city has now to pay more than anybody who just bought a property or house?? This is not fair!!! Don't you know that after every sale taxes went up automatically and that is not a fault the old citizens , no , it happened because the sellers want to get the best price on the market and made a lot of renovation and improvement to the property that the taxes went up . So don't complain, it's still cheaper than NYC and you all know this. You all want to live in a nice surrounding but still want to pay less than others who worked more than you all ever did . These people helped to make "Dirty City" to be Jersey City as you know it now and as you love it sooo much.!

You are such a troll. To call people out on how hard they worked is absurd. My ancestors helped build this city. Not somebody who bought a brownstone for $25,000 in the late 70s. The reevaluation is mandated and will be done within the next five years. So suck it up and pay your fair share.

Posted on: 2013/7/11 22:10
Print Top

Hide User information
Group:
Registered Users
I don't understand why are you so angry about it. Of course
as I already wrote in another reply , I hate people who are jealous and envious about people who own a property longer than you could imagine and you all haven't even been planned to come to this earth. So these people who own a property longer than any youngster in this city has now to pay more than anybody who just bought a property or house?? This is not fair!!! Don't you know that after every sale taxes went up automatically and that is not a fault the old citizens , no , it happened because the sellers want to get the best price on the market and made a lot of renovation and improvement to the property that the taxes went up . So don't complain, it's still cheaper than NYC and you all know this. You all want to live in a nice surrounding but still want to pay less than others who worked more than you all ever did . These people helped to make "Dirty City" to be Jersey City as you know it now and as you love it sooo much, so please ,there must be common sense about this topic.
Read this:

Depending who you are talking to about the price of a house you have to be clear what numbers you are using. If you’re not both referring to the same lingo, you could each walk away from the conversation thinking different things and not knowing it. Here are some definitions that may be helpful.

The Appraised Value of a property is an opinion of the value of a home prepared by an Appraiser. His opinion is based on a number of factors or methods of determining the value. He will look at things such as recent sales of similar properties, replacement cost and his own knowledge of the local marketplace. Lending institutions will typically use the appraised value in determining the total amount of money they are willing to lend when the property buyer is applying for a mortgage.
The Assessed Value of a home is the value determined by the tax assessor for the local city or town. This value is used by the municipality to determine the amount of tax that the property owner must pay. The Assessed value will often be multiplied by a mil (Millage) rate to determine the actual tax. In other words if the property has an assessed value of $100,000.00 and the mil rate is 5, the tax on the property would be 5 X 100 or $500.
The Market Value of a home is the probable price that a house will sell for if it is put on the market. It is determined by an analysis of the market (usually by a Realtor). The analysis should include looking at similar properties that have sold within recent times as well as looking at similar prices for homes currently on the market. In addition, if done properly, the analysis should also include those homes that were put on the market but did NOT sell, and were withdrawn.
The List Price of a home is a number assigned by the seller when he puts his home on the market. It is essentially what he hopes to sell his property before. It has no formal mathematical relationship to the actual market value of the home. In determining the list price, any reputable Realtor will recommend that it be very close to the Market Value if the seller wishes to sell in a timely fashion.
The sale price of a home is the actual price that the home most recently sold for.

Sleep well!

Posted on: 2013/7/11 21:54
Print Top

Hide User information
Group:
Registered Users
What are you all talking about?
I don't care about any mayor or government cause they are all the same.
I hate people who are jealous and envious towards others who have a property for 30 years more like old people who are citizens when you all haven't even planned to come to earth. These people worked hard to have their own houses . Now you are buying property in this city , what was called " Dirty City" and nobody really wanted to move to Jersey City in that time. Now it is a convenient place to be and much cheaper than NYC and YOU ARE TALKING ABOUT EQUALITY???
Read this :
What is the difference between tax assessed value and market value? This is one of those issues that confuse many buyers and sellers. Tax assessed value and market value are not the same. The tax value can be lower or higher than the market value. If the tax assessed value is higher than the suggested list price, a seller might reference it to support why he feels his house is worth more. If the tax assessed value is lower than the list price, a buyer might reference it to support why he feels the house is worth less. Neither would be correct.

The true value of a property is determined by its market value. Market value is the highest price likely to be paid for a property, assuming that the property was available to all potential buyers at a realistic price or a reasonable length of time. Additionally, neither buyer nor seller was prevented from learning all of the facts about the property and its place in the market. Tax assessed value is determined by most counties using some complicated math formula that re-appraises all the properties in the county at one time. Moreover, there is inconsistency among properties assessed by the tax assessor because many homeowners protest their taxes in the Spring to keep their taxes low. In those cases this result in a different value being placed on their properties and that of their neighbors with similar homes.

The most common approach to property value is Market Analysis or Comparable Approach. Both determine prices paid for similar properties in the neighborhood by analyzing recently sold properties. Recently sold is any property closed preferably within the last six months in the same neighborhood, typically within 1/4 to 1/2 mile from the subject property. The Tax assessor's office doesn't have access to comparable sales that are MLS(Multiple Listing Service) to determine your property's true market value. Therefore, the tax assessed value should never be assumed to mean market value.

Have a nice day

Posted on: 2013/7/11 21:20
Print Top

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
From Hamilton Park
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

Yvonne wrote:
I did not write this material, it is available at the Tax Board in Hudson County. You don't like what the information says, so you attack the writer. Personally, it doesn't bother me. However, if I live in Hoboken, I would be bother. Because JC excludes its tax abated properties from the ratable base, Hoboken, which as a population of 50,000 residents pays a higher portion of the County's tax bill. It pays 17.72% this year. JC with a population of 250,000 pays 31.96% We also pay almost double but our population that 5 times greater. If I were a Hoboken resident I would urge Dawn Zimmer to sue JC, because too many tax abated properties are sheltered from the ratable base.

Not that bad a point, but abatements really do have nothing at all to do with the reval. The reval is about fairness among the properties in the ratable base, not about the overall tax picture. By continually bringing it up all you do is muddy the waters, which I presume is the point.

Posted on: 2013/7/11 19:46
Print Top

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Group:
Registered Users
I did not write this material, it is available at the Tax Board in Hudson County. You don't like what the information says, so you attack the writer. Personally, it doesn't bother me. However, if I live in Hoboken, I would be bother. Because JC excludes its tax abated properties from the ratable base, Hoboken, which as a population of 50,000 residents pays a higher portion of the County's tax bill. It pays 17.72% this year. JC with a population of 250,000 pays 31.96% We also pay almost double but our population that 5 times greater. If I were a Hoboken resident I would urge Dawn Zimmer to sue JC, because too many tax abated properties are sheltered from the ratable base.

Posted on: 2013/7/11 18:07
Print Top

Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

Hide User information
Group:
Registered Users
Just read an article about Newark lowering taxes due in part to the completion of the reevaluation. Their was a shift from residential to commercial. Article can be found on NJ.com.

Posted on: 2013/7/11 16:29
Print Top

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
From Soho West
Group:
Registered Users
Not to mention that people in Crystal Point are eating, drinking, parking, buying all here in JC...and few if any are sending their kids to JC public schools or otherwise sapping the city.

Not to mention that many people with PILOT are actually paying a HIGHER rate than people without it for the same priced property.

Posted on: 2013/7/11 16:17
Print Top

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

Yvonne wrote:
This information comes from the 2012 Abstract of Ratable - County of Hudson. It is used to strike JC budget. Jersey City is now worth $5.8 billion (it was close to $7 billion after the 1988 reval). $4.7 billion is exempted from taxes. From that figure $2.7 billion are tax abated properties, the rest are churches, public properties, schools, and cemeteries. Excluding churches, schools, etc., approximately one - fourth of the city is tax abated. The lower the ratable base the higher the tax rate. Abatements erodes the ratable base causing a higher tax base.

Here you go again with the ratables. Which do you think benefits the city budget more: An empty lot counted as a "ratable" generating perhaps a few thousand dollars a year in tax revenue, or a high-rise like Crystal Point sitting in that lot making north of $1.5 million a year in payments in lieu of tax (and that's a conservative back-of-the-envelope estimate)? And the city doesn't have to share any of the PILOT revenue with the county. It gets to keep and spend the whole pie. Yet with all that influx of PILOT money the past 10 years, the city still managed to outspend itself. WTF were they spending it on? That's the question no one seems to be asking.

Posted on: 2013/7/8 23:26
Print Top

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
From Hamilton Park
Group:
Registered Users
You continue to recite this as though there were no PILOT cashflow to the city. But there is. They may not be ratables but PILOT's are a significant chunk of the budget pool. For most JC property owners, abatements aren't the problem, underpaying Downtown properties like the one you owned driving up the rate is. Had you paid your fair share, 3 or even 4 owners of more modest homes would have seen their taxes drop to their fair share.

Quote:

Yvonne wrote:
This information comes from the 2012 Abstract of Ratable - County of Hudson. It is used to strike JC budget. Jersey City is now worth $5.8 billion (it was close to $7 billion after the 1988 reval). $4.7 billion is exempted from taxes. From that figure $2.7 billion are tax abated properties, the rest are churches, public properties, schools, and cemeteries. Excluding churches, schools, etc., approximately one - fourth of the city is tax abated. The lower the ratable base the higher the tax rate. Abatements erodes the ratable base causing a higher tax base.

Posted on: 2013/7/8 22:49
Print Top

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Group:
Registered Users

Posted on: 2013/7/8 22:08
Print Top

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Group:
Registered Users
IMO, people should not compare their taxes with those in NYC since those are subsidized by corporations. Taxes in the rest of NY State are not that low compared with Jersey

Posted on: 2013/7/8 16:30
Print Top

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
From Soho West
Group:
Registered Users
I agree with those not understanding those bashing the the PILOT.

I was told by the tax assessor herself that the PILOT rate was *MORE* than it would be for someone who purchased a property at my price would pay otherwise. I'm only keeping it because it will protect me down the line. How does that make me a freeloader?

Also, Hoboken announced a tax REDUCTION...that's right...so if their reval ever happens, it won't be as bad. And yet they manage mostly better services.

Simply put, I do not trust JC or most NJ municipal governments to handle my money. The services in JC are simply not correspodent with the tax rate.

The solution isn't to find a different way to generate money- but rather to ask where is my going and why. The recent police retirements should tell us exactly why we should be paying less. Our streets are not made safer by golden parachutes.

Posted on: 2013/7/8 16:27
Print Top

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
From Western Slope
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

CdeCoincy wrote:
Just a paranoid thought before the morning meds kick in. Is it possible that the reval is being postponed so that the inflated prices paid by yuppies, gays and Australians can be factored in, thus justifying a significant increase in Greenville taxes? (and perhaps lessening the tax burden downtown?)

Am I the only one old enough to remember the basic slogan of 1960s planning: Urban Renewal is Negro Removal.

I don't get the gender preference are they getting a special grant to make them stand out ? If those that did pay inflated prices that the market value in the area will be inflated as well. And if they did pay inflated prices then their mortgages will be under water.

Posted on: 2013/7/5 10:01
Get on your bikes and ride !
Print Top

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Group:
Registered Users
Just a paranoid thought before the morning meds kick in. Is it possible that the reval is being postponed so that the inflated prices paid by yuppies, gays and Australians can be factored in, thus justifying a significant increase in Greenville taxes? (and perhaps lessening the tax burden downtown?)

Am I the only one old enough to remember the basic slogan of 1960s planning: Urban Renewal is Negro Removal.

Posted on: 2013/7/5 9:50
Print Top

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

mwa7368 wrote:
You pay $6500 now which is comparable to non-abated properties but your locked-in for the length of the abatement. 15, 20 yrs. That a huge benefit to you because you are protected from the rate increases such as Healy's double digit hikes in the past few years. In 10 years your going to be winning.

At least the abatements have an expiration date, which is more than can be said at this point for all those homes being undertaxed at their 1987 values. People like Yvonne and Fletch would like everyone to believe that those of us on PILOTs pay no tax. In Yvonne's case it's to deflect attention from the fact that she's paid obscenely low taxes for years on a seven-figure property right on Van Vorst Park, as Brewster has repeatedly pointed out. The tax and sale records are public, and the links were posted on another thread awhile back.

Also, the PILOT doesn't fix your taxes at the same amount for the entire term - I wish that were the case. During the latter half of the abatement period, you're supposed to see a gradual increase as your taxes are normalized. However, I heard through the grapevine that the tax collector had forgotten for years to apply the normalization for some buildings in Newport, and some people were hit with a doubling in tax overnight as they entered the final years of their abatement. Also, when homes come off the abatements, they're assessed the current value - not the value 15, 20 or 30 years earlier. Like I said previously, the PILOT basically shelters me from the lunacy of JC tax hikes and provides some predictability in my costs until I'm nearly done paying my mortgage. I actually would prefer a city income tax - at least if the income ain't there, they can't tax it.

Posted on: 2013/7/3 23:37
Print Top

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Group:
Registered Users
I personally have no problem with the abatements or PILOTs but the numbers that you have don't seems right. If the luxury apartment is paying $5K in taxes that seems too low. I think it's fair to say that a luxury 1 br is easily worth 350,000. that would mean that this example is paying about 1.5% in taxes where the current rate in JC is more like 2%. Fair value taxes would be around 7K.
Also $5500 for a crystal point 1 br unit is crazy low. That should be around 8K at least, if we consider actual value.
You pay $6500 now which is comparable to non-abated properties but your locked-in for the length of the abatement. 15, 20 yrs. That a huge benefit to you because you are protected from the rate increases such as Healy's double digit hikes in the past few years. In 10 years your going to be winning.

Quote:

jcguy05 wrote:
Quote:

Yvonne wrote:
Fulop has said during the debates he plans to give abatements to other parts of the city. There will be a backlash if reval happens and taxes are raised substantially then new construction is protected with abatements. This is the reason I believe the reval has been cancelled.

i dont understand why abatement hits such a nerve with people here. The abatement in jersey city is completely different than what's in NY(which is real abatement where you dont pay taxes or pay pennies on dollar).

In JC, for example my 1br condo has abatement, but i am still paying $6500 a year in taxes so is everyone else in my building, and all the other condo buildings. I also own another unit in a similar type "luxury" highrise where there is no abatement, and the regular property tax is about $5000 which is even lower. Even crystal point which caused so much drama for having granted a lower abatement rate, their resident is still paying $5500+ a year for 1br in taxes.

The only thing abatement does is funnel the money to jersey city instead of the state as i understand it, which is beneficial to the city. It's not like anyone is getting a free ride with abatement.

So why is there so much anger towards it?

Posted on: 2013/7/3 19:25
Print Top

Quite a regular
Quite a regular

Hide User information
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

Yvonne wrote:
Fulop has said during the debates he plans to give abatements to other parts of the city. There will be a backlash if reval happens and taxes are raised substantially then new construction is protected with abatements. This is the reason I believe the reval has been cancelled.

i dont understand why abatement hits such a nerve with people here. The abatement in jersey city is completely different than what's in NY(which is real abatement where you dont pay taxes or pay pennies on dollar).

In JC, for example my 1br condo has abatement, but i am still paying $6500 a year in taxes so is everyone else in my building, and all the other condo buildings. I also own another unit in a similar type "luxury" highrise where there is no abatement, and the regular property tax is about $5000 which is even lower. Even crystal point which caused so much drama for having granted a lower abatement rate, their resident is still paying $5500+ a year for 1br in taxes.

The only thing abatement does is funnel the money to jersey city instead of the state as i understand it, which is beneficial to the city. It's not like anyone is getting a free ride with abatement.

So why is there so much anger towards it?

Posted on: 2013/7/3 17:53
Print Top

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
From Hamilton Park
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

Yvonne wrote:
Brewster, I paid the taxes the city sent me and I paid on time. However, I did appeal after reval, I received an $375,000 assessment along with a 16,000 tax bill in 1988.

And when you sold the ratio of assessment to value was 14.2. You were actually paying 1% of value when you were theoretically paying 2.2%, and there are plenty of people in JC paying well over 3%. Those people in other wards were paying your fair property tax for you. It's that simple. Why is it they deserve that exactly? Because they weren't as educated and tax savvy as you, and trusted that JC would spread the tax load fairly?

Posted on: 2013/7/2 19:23
Print Top

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Group:
Registered Users
Brewster, I paid the taxes the city sent me and I paid on time. However, I did appeal after reval, I received an $375,000 assessment along with a 16,000 tax bill in 1988.

Posted on: 2013/7/2 17:35
Print Top

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
From Hamilton Park
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

rasoszynski wrote:
Did anyone sell their town home in 2010-2011 fearing the reval? How do they feel now that it's on hold especially as housing prices have climbed over the last year?

Actually, Yvonne did just that, after paying obscenely low taxes for decades.

Posted on: 2013/7/2 16:30
Print Top

Hide User information
From jersey city
Group:
Registered Users
People were discussing progressive tax ideas, I just added it to the pile. All the concerns you mention are valid and point to the depth of corruption in JC.

To your point that a JC municipal tax would be a competitive disadvantage driving people to Hoboken, it works both ways: How long do you think Hoboken will let us go on without a reval when their reval results might drive people to JC? Maybe this is all part of the plan. In Hoboken, you have new condo owners paying 30K/year prop tax dying to stick it to town house owners paying 18K/year prop tax.

Did anyone sell their town home in 2010-2011 fearing the reval? How do they feel now that it's on hold especially as housing prices have climbed over the last year?

Wait, Hoboken has a taxi authority and JC doesn't? Is that why you can't reliably get a cab in JC? The more you know.

Posted on: 2013/7/2 15:52
Print Top

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
From Soho West
Group:
Registered Users
An income tax in JC would be the greatest thing to ever happen to Hoboken, Union City, Weehawken, and Harrison, among others.

Why do you think people come to JC in large part? To avoid the NYC income taxes.

People have researched this, and the income tax costs more than the property taxes.

And do you really want to trust the city, even with Fulop at the helm, with more money? Do you think the JCPA employee will do a better job giving you a parking ticket because he enjoys his shore house especially much where he keeps his six figure pension?

Will this tax lead to taxi enforcement (which Hoboken does with no income tax)? Will it stop Spectra or the Pulaski shutdown?

Does it do anything for NYC but drive people away?

Posted on: 2013/7/2 14:05
Print Top

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Group:
Registered Users
I agree with the idea of an income tax for JC. Eliminate property taxes but do keep land tax which is lower. NYC also has a sales tax.

Posted on: 2013/7/2 13:31
Print Top

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
From Soho West
Group:
Registered Users
I'm in a PILOT and my taxes are still outrageous.

The PILOT holds the taxes to what the owner when the PILOT incepted paid. But now the unit isn't worth as much, despite it recovering some value. The taxes should be about $600 less in a non PILOT building, but I'm not exiting the PILOT so I won't get slammed down the line. If my unit was walking distance away in Hoboken, I would be paying less taxes. Senseless.

Taxes in JC are out of whack with NJ especially when you consider what other towns get. Even in Hoboken, they pay less and manage a taxi authority and municipal garages. We get what? The incinerator authority? Granted other towns also are inconsistent but few are as wasteful.

Perhaps Fulop is going to start slashing waste and then come back to EVERYONE with lower bills.

Also...as to abatements...they SHOULD be given to non-downtown developments...for certain.

Developers don't need incentive to build downtown- it's already popular.

But OTOH, why not induce someone to build luxury condos in the Heights, or Greenville, or Bergen Laffeyette...A) it could improve the neighborhood and B) it will bring in people to share the burden with us, be they wealthy professionals, investors, or whoever...and likely they will not be people adding kids to the system or really using many services....

I think people want to think JC abatements are like NYC abatements where people are living in luxury condos and paying a few hundred bucks a year in taxes. Go Zillow or Trulia any JC PILOT building and learn the truth. The first people who got them in Port Liberte are getting totally killed.

Posted on: 2013/7/2 13:24
Print Top

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
From Hamilton Park
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

rasoszynski wrote:
Let me inject an even less popular idea than Aniara's: A Municipal Income Tax. You don't get much more progressive than that.

Ever wonder how NYC has relatively low property taxes, except on landlords? That's how. Although because NYC is a renter city the increased tax on rental property owners versus owner occupiers is steep and brings in a haul. Does JC do that?

Back to assessment & the reval: How did we figure out the ratio? How do you determine what side of the magic 33 you're on?

Since the Hoboken reval is underway with appraisers currently out in the field what are the chance Hoboken could sue JC to force our reval? Hoboken is tiny, their reval could be done rather quickly.

Thanks,
Rachel

Yes, income would be better than a sq ft tax to be sure. In my experience it's not true that the wealthier necessarily live in more space, I'll bet there's more studios Downtown than elsewhere. Most people wouldn't put up with that without a real location incentive.

But property tax is the closest thing we have to a "wealth tax", to really get at the heart of the matter of each paying according to his ability to pay. It's not about charging for what a household uses, it's about getting what is needed to run the city in a progressive way. Otherwise, and I'm sure Boris would love this, we could just divide the whole budget by population and call it a day. Every man, woman and child pay's their 1/255,000th.

It was my understanding that taxes on businesses was what allowed such low residential taxes.

Your ratio is the assessment divided by market value, then multiplied by 100.

Posted on: 2013/7/2 12:03
Print Top

Hide User information
From jersey city
Group:
Registered Users
Let me inject an even less popular idea than Aniara's: A Municipal Income Tax. You don't get much more progressive than that.

Ever wonder how NYC has relatively low property taxes, except on landlords? That's how. Although because NYC is a renter city the increased tax on rental property owners versus owner occupiers is steep and brings in a haul. Does JC do that?

Back to assessment & the reval: How did we figure out the ratio? How do you determine what side of the magic 33 you're on?

Since the Hoboken reval is underway with appraisers currently out in the field what are the chance Hoboken could sue JC to force our reval? Hoboken is tiny, their reval could be done rather quickly.

Thanks,
Rachel

Posted on: 2013/7/2 10:25
Print Top

« 1 2 (3) 4 5 6 »

[Advanced Search]

Login
Username:

Password:

remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!