Register now !    Login  
Main Menu
Who's Online
142 user(s) are online (123 user(s) are browsing Message Forum)

Members: 0
Guests: 142

more...

Browsing this Thread:   1 Anonymous Users

« 1 (2) 3 4 »

Re: Jersey City bicyclist in serious condition in hit and run: cops
Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2015/2/5 16:38
Group:
Banned
Quote:

meltedopsicle wrote:

I read on some blog or website that someone cut a stick (I'm thinking more along the lines of a "pool noodle") to the width of the handlebars and tied it horizontally on the back. Apparently if you make it look pointy at the ends, it's a visual cue to drivers not to get too close or they'll scratch their cars...

I don't know about the scratching the car part, but it does give drivers a visual cue as to how much horizontal space a bicycle actually takes up, handlebars inclusive. It's sometimes hard to tell from behind.

Quote:

I_heart_JC wrote:

so the potential velocity of you + windshield is even greater. wear a freaking helmet.

I agree. It's a very contentious debate for some people. Sometimes I wear mine, sometimes I don't.

Posted on: 2013/6/26 22:48

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2020/3/22 6:01
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

SteveWilson29 wrote:
I dislike helmet discussions after accidents because it's too easy for people to blame the victim. There is a debate about the helmet issue. They can be completely ineffective, and can even be detrimental to cyclist's safety in some cases. Studies have shown drivers will pass closer to cyclists wearing helmets.

I agree that victim-blaming has no place in this discussion, however, what better time to bring up personal safety than when a tragedy is fresh in peoples' minds?

if you're going to ride against traffic (which....don't) it means that anyone who hits you is going to hit you at their speed PLUS your speed. the difference of just 5 mph can mean life or death.

so the potential velocity of you + windshield is even greater. wear a freaking helmet.

Posted on: 2013/6/26 22:38

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2019/5/9 22:13
Group:
Registered Users
Just watched the clip, so incredibly sad... I do also pray that justice and karma will take over...

Posted on: 2013/6/26 22:32

Quite a regular
Quite a regular

Hide User information
Last Login :
2020/11/22 16:28
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

SteveWilson29 wrote:
I dislike helmet discussions after accidents because it's too easy for people to blame the victim. There is a debate about the helmet issue. They can be completely ineffective, and can even be detrimental to cyclist's safety in some cases. Studies have shown drivers will pass closer to cyclists wearing helmets.

I somewhat agree (easy to blame the victim - and do people ever "blame" car crash victims for not buckling their seat belt?). I'll "disprove" the studies though: If I were helmet-less but had a reflective clothing, ample lights, panniers/saddlebags to increase my width and drivers still passed too close, there's still something wrong with them!

I read on some blog or website that someone cut a stick (I'm thinking more along the lines of a "pool noodle") to the width of the handlebars and tied it horizontally on the back. Apparently if you make it look pointy at the ends, it's a visual cue to drivers not to get too close or they'll scratch their cars...

Posted on: 2013/6/26 22:28

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2020/9/5 14:18
From Exchange Place
Group:
Registered Users
Husband speaks after hit and run driver kills wife

JERSEY CITY (WABC) -- There is shock and support for a New Jersey family after a woman was struck and killed by a hit and run driver.

She was riding her bike when the accident happened.

"Denial, blaming, anger, you know, sorrow, grief, everything," said Christian Usher, widower.

Christian Usher has been through every emotion since his wife Natasha was run down and killed riding her bike in Jersey City.

"Why you didn't help her? Why you didn't try to help her?" Usher said.

Last Thursday night right near the intersection, Natasha was hit by a Volkswagen Jetta driven by 24-year-old Neteria Augcomfar.

Four days later, this past Monday, Natasha died from her injuries and Augcomfar turned herself in to police.

She reportedly told them that she didn't know she hit anyone.

"Come on, the impact was so strong my wife broke the windshield with her body, with her face," Usher said.

It's a horrific reality, a horrible image; her husband cannot get out of his mind.

"I wouldn't do that, not even to an animal, I would just stop and check on it," Usher said.

Natasha was part owner of Kraverie Restaurant, located just a few blocks from where she was hit.

A picture and a candle now stand as a memorial. Her business partner still can't believe she is gone.

"We're going to keep going strong. I think it's what she would want. It's what's best for all of us," her business partner said.

Just feet from her restaurant, you can see the bike lanes on Grove Street.

The city has plans to put in miles more.

But there are problem with the lanes, for starters, double parked drivers.

Natasha wasn't wearing a helmet and apparently driving the wrong way, but her husband says nothing excuses leaving that scene.

In December, the city approved 35 miles of new bike lanes.

"That's a good idea, but to be honest, that doesn't really help because you have a lot of cars that come and block it up anyway," Usher said.

But with so many more people now biking in New Jersey's second largest city, something has to help.

Augcomfar is charged with leaving the scene of an accident resulting in death.

Usher says he is angry but said, "I do believe that if I let go, justice and karma will take over."

http://abclocal.go.com/wabc/story?sec ... cal/new_jersey&id=9153156

Posted on: 2013/6/26 21:57

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2015/2/5 16:38
Group:
Banned

Posted on: 2013/6/26 21:38

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2015/6/25 17:42
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

CatDog wrote:
I'll be out of town for the memorial, or else I'd attend. I'm glad that the driver was caught and will be charged, but as has been said before by a few people, bikers need to remember safety rules, and to always be on the defensive, and we need to keep pushing our city to create more and better bike lanes as NYC is doing.

Could we make a ghost bike to put at the site? I've always thought they were powerful memorials. Assuming Chris is ok with the idea.

I like the idea of a ghost bike.

I too am amazed at how many cyclists I see without helmets. I paid a little extra for an attractive helmet so that I would actually wear it regularly. It not only looks less dorky, it might save my life some day. Got it from here: http://www.adelineadeline.com/accessories/helmets.html

Posted on: 2013/6/26 21:32

Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

Hide User information
Last Login :
2023/6/15 11:24
Group:
Registered Users
This story will be on wabc 7 in the next 15-20 minutes

Posted on: 2013/6/26 21:13

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
1/7 4:19
Group:
Registered Users
I'll be out of town for the memorial, or else I'd attend. I'm glad that the driver was caught and will be charged, but as has been said before by a few people, bikers need to remember safety rules, and to always be on the defensive, and we need to keep pushing our city to create more and better bike lanes as NYC is doing.

Could we make a ghost bike to put at the site? I've always thought they were powerful memorials. Assuming Chris is ok with the idea.

Posted on: 2013/6/26 20:11

Not too shy to talk
Not too shy to talk

Hide User information
Last Login :
2015/9/3 21:02
From Jersey City
Group:
Registered Users
There will be an informal memorial service at Kraverie this Saturday, 6/29 - from noon until dusk. We hope to celebrate Natasha's life with stories, food, drink and support for her widower, Chris. Feel free to stop by.

Posted on: 2013/6/26 18:11

Quite a regular
Quite a regular

Hide User information
Last Login :
2015/8/7 18:41
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

My thoughts exactly. From the article in the WSJ, "Police said Ms. Caicedo was riding the wrong way, traveling southbound in the northbound lane of Marin Boulevard. Mr. Usher said his wife was not wearing a bicycle helmet when she was hit."

What a tragic loss for her family, friends, and the JC community. Natasha was a wonderfully kind and generous person.

One can only hope that her death might improve safety out on the streets for all. I completely agree that the driver culture in JC and related enforcement efforts need to improve. Driver distraction and impatience create unacceptable risks and avoidable tragedies.

Additionally, speaking as an avid cyclist, I think JCPD and the local cycling community must act to improve awareness of the dangers of salmoning (riding against traffic rather than with it). As others have observed, salmoning puts you and others at risk and is contrary to the law requiring cyclists to ride with the flow of traffic, not against it. If patrol officers would make it a practice to simply tweet their siren and give a quick word to salmoning cyclists to ride with traffic, the message would get out quick. Further, all community-minded cyclists bear a responsibility to educate others not to salmon, the dangers and illegaility of which may not be understood by all. When I come across another cyclist salmoning I make it a point to let them know they should be riding with traffic (and to stay off the sidewalks, which is also dangerous and against the law - adults only, of course).

Folks can also reduce their risks by having rear red LED light. IMO, any cyclist who lacks a rear LED light is courting disaster. There is no excuse not to have one and it may be the best money you ever spent. Grove Street Bicycles stocks them and you can get them online through stores like nashbar.com and performancebike.com. (Planet Bike's Superflash is hands down the best).

Lastly, any cyclist who is riding and looking at their smartphone should be smacked. I have seen my neighbors (people I really like) doing this and I'm floored at what a stupid behavior it is.

Everyone (drivers, cyclists, and pedestrians) needs to take responsibility for his or her safety and that of others around them. Make smart choices, follow the law, and reduce the risks wherever you can.

RIP Natasha. Stay safe, JC!

Posted on: 2013/6/26 16:01

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2020/3/22 6:01
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

Toonces wrote:
Quote:

JadedJC wrote:
The driver culture here is abysmal, to say the least, and Grand Street is a total zoo. When I bike, I try to to take the one-way streets, even if it means going a block or two out of my way. That having been said, I see a lot of things cyclists do that make me cringe. Almost every night I see cyclists on the road without any lights or reflective patches. Needless to say, most are not wearing helmets. The other thing that gets me is "salmoning" - people riding against, rather than with, the flow of traffic. Many of these people are under the mistaken impression that they'll be safer because they can see oncoming traffic and react accordingly. They're actually creating a hazard. People - neither drivers nor pedestrians crossing the street - are expecting them to be coming from that direction. Also, by riding against the flow, they're sharply cutting the time a driver has to react before impact. The difference may only be a second or two, but that's enough to mean life or death.

My thoughts exactly. From the article in the WSJ, "Police said Ms. Caicedo was riding the wrong way, traveling southbound in the northbound lane of Marin Boulevard. Mr. Usher said his wife was not wearing a bicycle helmet when she was hit."

can't count how many times I've nearly been hit by a bicyclist riding the wrong way on a one-way street (or worse, the sidewalk). it really is a hazard for everybody.

Posted on: 2013/6/26 15:26

Hide User information
Last Login :
2013/9/16 20:48
From Van Vorst Park
Group:
Registered Users
This is super sad, Kraverie is one of my favorite places to eat downtown, and she was always really nice whenever we were there.

As far as the woman who hit her goes, I read in a previous JJ article that TWO WITNESSES tried to stop her from driving away, including one man who threw himself in front of her car, only to be almost mowed over by the driver. She knew she hit someone, she was probably drunk and knew they'd get her for drunk driving too if she stayed.

And according to that Linked In, she's a teacher. Awesome.

Posted on: 2013/6/26 15:01

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2019/11/7 23:14
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

JadedJC wrote:
The driver culture here is abysmal, to say the least, and Grand Street is a total zoo. When I bike, I try to to take the one-way streets, even if it means going a block or two out of my way. That having been said, I see a lot of things cyclists do that make me cringe. Almost every night I see cyclists on the road without any lights or reflective patches. Needless to say, most are not wearing helmets. The other thing that gets me is "salmoning" - people riding against, rather than with, the flow of traffic. Many of these people are under the mistaken impression that they'll be safer because they can see oncoming traffic and react accordingly. They're actually creating a hazard. People - neither drivers nor pedestrians crossing the street - are expecting them to be coming from that direction. Also, by riding against the flow, they're sharply cutting the time a driver has to react before impact. The difference may only be a second or two, but that's enough to mean life or death.

Posted on: 2013/6/26 14:07

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2018/2/27 0:25
Group:
Registered Users

Posted on: 2013/6/26 12:34

Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

Hide User information
Last Login :
2020/10/21 20:09
Group:
Registered Users
Was the accident on Grand St? I thought it was on Marin near the light rail... Either way, Grand is super dangerous.

I've been cursed at cycling as well, to "get the f*#& off the street". We've had stones thrown at us by kids at the Jersey Ave light rail stop, one hit my girlfriend on the cheek. We've also been threatened/almost broadsided by a flatbed tow truck. Unfortunately it will take a long time and many more accidents before this deep-set culture changes.

Posted on: 2013/6/26 12:13

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2019/12/26 15:30
From GV Bayside Park
Group:
Registered Users
Anthony J. Machcinski/The Jersey Journal

A Jersey City woman charged in a fatal hit-and-run that occurred last Thursday on Marin Boulevard was arrested Monday, just minutes after the victim died from her injuries, police officials said yesterday.

?This is an unfortunate tragedy, one that likely was avoidable,? acting Jersey City Police Chief Joseph Connors said yesterday. ?We would like to extend our heartfelt condolences to the family at this trying time.?

Neteria Augcomfar, 24, of Halladay Street, was taken into custody by members of the police Major Case Squad around 3:45 p.m. Monday and was charged with reckless driving, leaving the scene of an accident and leaving the scene of an accident that resulted in death, police said.

Augcomfar appeared in Central Judicial Processing court in Jersey City yesterday afternoon via video link from Hudson County jail. Her bail was set prior to her court appearance at $150,000 cash or bond by Hudson County Superior Court Judge Lisa Rose.

The arrest did little to console the husband of Natalia Caicedo, 34, who was riding her bike along Marin Boulevard Thursday around 8:30 p.m. when she was struck by the 2008 silver Volkswagen Jetta Augcomfar was driving.

?It will take me years to heal,? Caicedo?s husband, Charles ?Chris? Usher, 36, said yesterday at the Greene Street apartment the couple shared.

?I?m so overwhelmed by emotion because on one side I have the loss of my wife, the loss of my life the way I knew it. All my plans, they?re just gone, and on the other side, I see all these amazing people (helping me). They basically threw themselves to catch my fall. It?s like a mix match of emotions. It?s hard to comprehend,? he said.

Natalia co-owned the Mercer Street restaurant Kraverie with her husband and Charles Heo.

?She would always ride (her bike) to go home,? said Heo. ?This is a shock to everyone. She was always very positive and always cared for others.?

Heo, Natalia and Usher merged their food truck businesses to create Kraverie. ?We always entertained the idea to open up a place together,? said Usher.

After hitting Caicedo, Augcomfar fled from the scene, police said.

Caicedo sustained heavy trauma to the body and head from the accident and was taken to Jersey City Medical Center, where she died Monday at 3:21 p.m., police said. Augcomfar and the vehicle?s owner reported to police headquarters Monday and Augcomfar was arrested, police said.

Police said the case was helped by several witnesses at the scene, who were able to provide a partial license plate number and description of the vehicle.

?I have to commend the witnesses that gave us vital leads in this case, their assistance made all the difference,? Connors said. ?In addition, I would like to commend the diligence of the Major Case squad that followed all the leads and helped us bring this case to a successful conclusion.?

Journal staff writer Yarleen Hernandez contributed to this story.

Posted on: 2013/6/26 11:55

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2015/4/29 16:55
Group:
Registered Users
We should have a dedicated bike lane on Grand. Maybe some enforcement (shocker) of speed limits. Would it be too much to put a cop in a car on Grand? Very sad story, glad they got the driver.

Posted on: 2013/6/26 11:43

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2023/6/11 23:48
From Western Slope
Group:
Registered Users
I think all hit & run incidents should be considered as a charge for attempted murder. It's too easy and too intentional a decision to be considered an accident.

Posted on: 2013/6/26 11:20
Get on your bikes and ride !

Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

Hide User information
Last Login :
2018/6/11 1:27
Group:
Registered Users
I had the pleasure of doing business with Natasha. She was always kind and considerate (not a small feat in the NY metro business world). A lovely person whose passing makes the world a poorer place. Here's to Natasha!

Posted on: 2013/6/26 3:05

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2015/6/28 12:09
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

Getting a one year education MA at Penn does not make one an "Ivy Leaguer."

Posted on: 2013/6/26 1:44

Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

Hide User information
Last Login :
2017/3/17 0:57
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

Sorry, here is a correct link for the fundraiser: http://www.youcaring.com/medical-fund ... sha-s-memorial-fund/68512

Posted on: 2013/6/26 1:33

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2023/8/15 18:42
Group:
Registered Users

Posted on: 2013/6/26 1:23

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2019/3/8 17:09
Group:
Registered Users
not buying for one second that she was unaware she hit someone. Even 8 drinks into the evening, it doesn't take a genius to realize you just ran someone over.

People tried to stop her and she gunned it to save her own pathetic hide.

Throw the book at her and maybe just maybe JC will start taking traffic calming seriously...

Posted on: 2013/6/26 0:56

Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

Hide User information
Last Login :
2017/3/17 0:57
Group:
Registered Users
For anyone who ate at Kraverie, you probably ran into Natasha who was one of the owners there. She was one of the loveliest person if you ever met her, warm, such a gracious host. I went there a lot I admit, more to just talk to her and eating was something bonus.

When my friend lost his beloved dog a few month back, I had to drag him out of his house so he would eat. I remember Natasha listening to him talk about his loss while crying and sharing her story about loosing her beloved cat.

Please help her husband the littlest way possible by donating to her medical bill: http://www.youcaring....

JC lost a truly a great lady.

Posted on: 2013/6/26 0:37

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
Group:
Registered Users
Yes -- or was drinking in a nearby bar -- either way it is a long wait to come forth!

Quote:
"...fled Thursday night after striking Ms. Caicedo on Marin Boulevard. Police said Ms. Augcomfar and the car?s owner reported to a police station Monday"

Quote:

fat-ass-bike wrote:
texting or on the cell phone is my bet - cops should and most likely will check her phone record at the time of the avoidable collision...

Posted on: 2013/6/26 0:15

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2022/2/28 7:31
From 280 Grove Street
Group:
Registered Users
texting or on the cell phone is my bet - cops should and most likely will check her phone record at the time of the avoidable collision.

I wish cops and legislators would triple fines and penalties for using a phone while driving and if it causes death, then a mandatory minimum 10 year non parole sentence

Posted on: 2013/6/25 23:57
My humor is for the silent blue collar majority - If my posts offend, slander or you deem inappropriate and seek deletion, contact the webmaster for jurisdiction.

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2016/10/22 1:46
Group:
Registered Users
I live a few buildings down from the Kraverie and would see her on her bike all the time. The guy would drive his Hyundai Veloster and she would bike. She never wore a helmet, though...... Not that I saw, at least.

Posted on: 2013/6/25 23:33

Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

Hide User information
Last Login :
2021/11/29 21:36
Group:
Registered Users
Oh wow. I didn't know her but I only saw her the one or two times that I have been to the Kraverie last year. Normally I wouldn't remember a waiter or waitress who I had only seen once or twice a year but she really made an impression because she so nice and really seem to make an effort to take care of us. RIP

Posted on: 2013/6/25 22:50

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
Group:
Registered Users
Very sad -- but great that they caught the driver! From the WSJ:

"Police said they arrested Jersey City resident Neteria Augcomfar, 24 years old, and charged her with reckless driving, leaving the scene of an accident and leaving the scene of an accident that resulted in death. They said Ms. Augcomfar was driving the 2008 silver Volkswagen Jetta that fled Thursday night after striking Ms. Caicedo on Marin Boulevard. Police said Ms. Augcomfar and the car?s owner reported to a police station Monday and that Ms. Augcomfar said she had been unaware that she hit someone."

More on her:
https://www.google.com/search?q=%22Net ... 2Neteria+Augcomfar%22&aqs

Posted on: 2013/6/25 22:50

Edited by GrovePath on 2013/6/25 23:07:51

« 1 (2) 3 4 »

[Advanced Search]

Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!