Register now !    Login  
Main Menu
Who's Online
129 user(s) are online (109 user(s) are browsing Message Forum)

Members: 0
Guests: 129

more...

Browsing this Thread:   1 Anonymous Users

« 1 2 (3) 4 5 »

Re: Drivers and Crosswalks
Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2020/8/26 13:40
Group:
Registered Users
How about closing sections of local streets and making them pedestrian-only? Erie at Cordoba, Coles at McNair, Manilla at St. Anthony's, Brunswick at Resurrection all spring to mind. That might discourage drivers using these streets as a cut-through.

Posted on: 2013/7/9 20:25

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2018/5/21 19:38
From Downtown
Group:
Registered Users
Several new crosswalk signs have been installed along Jersey Ave at First and Second Street--including a special "Crosswalk Ahead" warning!)

Hopefully it's just the first step in a more comprehensive approach to pedestrian safety.

Posted on: 2013/7/9 18:47

Re: Total Disregard for Peds by Drivers and Crosswalks
Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2016/12/18 14:09
Group:
Registered Users
This is actually an excellent idea. On everything aside from the main arterial streets (e.g., Marin, Columbus, Grand, Montgomery), the speed limit should be 20. I don't normally drive but I was driving this morning and you just can't go faster than 20 while paying enough attention to crosswalks and driveways and stop signs and parallel parkers.

Quote:

o73o2 wrote:

And, those of us who (reside and) drive in Jersey City should perhaps heed a 15 mph or even a 10 mph speed limit ...

Posted on: 2013/6/29 16:25

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2017/12/25 1:59
From here to eternity
Group:
Registered Users
sometimes, I think we should embrace good, old-fashioned civic disobedience to curb the excessive speeding and the disregard for pedestrian safety.

Perhaps, we should walk very, very, vveerryy ssslllooowwwlllyyy across the crosswalks in the mornings and the afternoons ...

And, those of us who (reside and) drive in Jersey City should perhaps heed a 15 mph or even a 10 mph speed limit ...

Posted on: 2013/6/29 2:53

Not too shy to talk
Not too shy to talk

Hide User information
Last Login :
2015/2/25 1:32
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

jackp wrote:
I have never lived in a place where peds in crosswalks are so widely ignored by drivers. its high time to begin to enforce the law that requires drivers to stop for peds entering a crosswalk.

As for rumble strips we have several on Richard St. Useless! Maybe made a few dollars for the paint company but no effect on speeders. We need real speed humps like many other towns have. Humps work really well especially for lowered cars, and have no effect on ambulances or fire trucks, the usual reason given for not putting them in.

Humps have a longer on and off ramp, versus speed bumps, and allow for an easy crossing at 20-25 mph.

But giving out tickets is going to be the quickest way to get the word out, JC enforces the law. Great thing here is that no laws are needed, they are already on the books. Just start enforcing them!

gonna need another grant for that

Posted on: 2013/6/29 1:49

Total Disregard for Peds by Drivers and Crosswalks
Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2017/8/9 18:01
From Bayside Park
Group:
Registered Users
I have never lived in a place where peds in crosswalks are so widely ignored by drivers. its high time to begin to enforce the law that requires drivers to stop for peds entering a crosswalk.

As for rumble strips we have several on Richard St. Useless! Maybe made a few dollars for the paint company but no effect on speeders. We need real speed humps like many other towns have. Humps work really well especially for lowered cars, and have no effect on ambulances or fire trucks, the usual reason given for not putting them in.

Humps have a longer on and off ramp, versus speed bumps, and allow for an easy crossing at 20-25 mph.

But giving out tickets is going to be the quickest way to get the word out, JC enforces the law. Great thing here is that no laws are needed, they are already on the books. Just start enforcing them!

Posted on: 2013/6/28 20:09

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2014/10/27 13:13
From The fog.
Group:
Registered Users

Posted on: 2013/6/28 13:05

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2020/3/22 6:01
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

Vigilante wrote:
Quote:

JCbiscuit wrote:
Quote:

Vigilante wrote:
Quote:

I_heart_JC wrote:
Quote:

wrensdad wrote:
When we lived in Hoboken, there was a speed bump right outside of our front door. The only time we ever heard anything was when a driver blew through the stop sign and speed bump--we heard them cursing up a storm. The cheers from our house were louder though

Quote:

Vigilante wrote:
You would not want to live in a home in close proximity to rumble strips or speed bumps.

that's a sound I would welcome at my corner.

Hoboken has those giant speed humps which are more visible and more effective against speeders. The regular speed bumps and rumble strips are a nightmare. The city tore them out after residents bombarded them with complaints.

Wait, so you're saying that Hoboken researched their options before spending tax dollars on a citywide project? That's just crazy.

Jersey City put rumble strips on Jersey Ave and Coles Street a few years ago. I'm sure in other places too. They were so disruptive to nearby residents that the city took most if not all of them out.

so, to recap...
rumbles strips: useless and loud.
speed humps: effective and quiet.

one city did its research and came up with an effective traffic-calming solution, while their neighbors to the south went about it ass-backwards, wasting money while pissing off its citizens.

Posted on: 2013/6/28 5:54

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2022/2/28 7:31
From 280 Grove Street
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

jcpedestrian wrote:
To everyone calling for increased enforcement, I don't know what you're talking about. In April of this year, the state gave the JCPD a grant of $27,900 for a pedestrian and traffic safety initiative (aka overtime gift).

"Police officers will ensure that drivers adhere to stop and yield signs, observe traffic signals, and stop for pedestrians in crosswalks," Police Chief Thomas Comey said in a statement.

So yeah, problem's been solved for months.

Comey is full of shiht - He couldn't manage a screw in a brothel

Posted on: 2013/6/28 5:41
My humor is for the silent blue collar majority - If my posts offend, slander or you deem inappropriate and seek deletion, contact the webmaster for jurisdiction.

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2023/1/15 1:13
From Leashless Glory.
Group:
Banned
Quote:

JCbiscuit wrote:
Quote:

Vigilante wrote:
Quote:

I_heart_JC wrote:
Quote:

wrensdad wrote:
When we lived in Hoboken, there was a speed bump right outside of our front door. The only time we ever heard anything was when a driver blew through the stop sign and speed bump--we heard them cursing up a storm. The cheers from our house were louder though

Quote:

Vigilante wrote:
You would not want to live in a home in close proximity to rumble strips or speed bumps.

Hoboken has those giant speed humps which are more visible and more effective against speeders. The regular speed bumps and rumble strips are a nightmare. The city tore them out after residents bombarded them with complaints.

Wait, so you're saying that Hoboken researched their options before spending tax dollars on a citywide project? That's just crazy.

Jersey City put rumble strips on Jersey Ave and Coles Street a few years ago. I'm sure in other places too. They were so disruptive to nearby residents that the city took most if not all of them out.

Posted on: 2013/6/28 3:59

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2020/4/18 19:17
From Way Downtown
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

Vigilante wrote:
Quote:

I_heart_JC wrote:
Quote:

wrensdad wrote:

Quote:

Vigilante wrote:

Posted on: 2013/6/28 0:24

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
From Leashless Glory.
Group:
Banned
Quote:

I_heart_JC wrote:
Quote:

wrensdad wrote:

Quote:

Vigilante wrote:

Posted on: 2013/6/27 23:37

Quite a regular
Quite a regular

Hide User information
Last Login :
2016/4/24 16:13
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

jcpedestrian wrote:
To everyone calling for increased enforcement, I don't know what you're talking about. In April of this year, the state gave the JCPD a grant of $27,900 for a pedestrian and traffic safety initiative (aka overtime gift).

"Police officers will ensure that drivers adhere to stop and yield signs, observe traffic signals, and stop for pedestrians in crosswalks," Police Chief Thomas Comey said in a statement.

Of course, first the JCPD, the Sheriff's Office, Port Authority and Parking Authority would need to begin stopping for pedestrains in the cross walk.

Posted on: 2013/6/27 20:13

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

wrensdad wrote:

Quote:

Vigilante wrote:

Posted on: 2013/6/27 17:37

Not too shy to talk
Not too shy to talk

Hide User information
Last Login :
2018/1/22 17:13
Group:
Registered Users

Quote:

Vigilante wrote:

Posted on: 2013/6/27 11:16

Not too shy to talk
Not too shy to talk

Hide User information
Last Login :
2015/2/25 1:32
Group:
Registered Users

Posted on: 2013/6/27 3:25

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

SteveWilson29 wrote:
Rumble strips, humps, bumps etc. can cause a lot of vibration that can lead to cracked foundations. This is a significant issue in dense cities with most buildings being 100-150 years old.

especially if the driver is wearing a helmet.

Posted on: 2013/6/26 21:58

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2015/2/5 16:38
Group:
Banned
Rumble strips, humps, bumps etc. can cause a lot of vibration that can lead to cracked foundations. This is a significant issue in dense cities with most buildings being 100-150 years old.

Posted on: 2013/6/26 21:41

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

Vigilante wrote:

rumble strips are useless and annoying, speed bumps are a headache for plows and emergency vehicles, but speed HUMPS calm traffic and hardly make a sound.

http://www.cga.ct.gov/2006/rpt/2006-r-0567.htm

http://www.maine.gov/mdot/csd/mlrc/technical/shsb.htm

Posted on: 2013/6/26 21:26

Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

Hide User information
Last Login :
2018/7/5 17:07
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

Vigilante wrote:

#firstworldproblems

Posted on: 2013/6/26 20:18

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
From Leashless Glory.
Group:
Banned

Posted on: 2013/6/26 19:57

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2020/4/26 22:05
Group:
Registered Users
I don't live downtown, but I sort of recall a thread from years past on the topic of the loud speed bumps. My recollection is that they had deployed rumble strips, which can be loud. Earlier in this thread, or a different one, someone mentioned that in NJ (or, JC?) speed bumps are no longer allowed.

Posted on: 2013/6/26 19:55

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2020/12/23 21:08
Group:
Registered Users
How are speed bumps loud??? If it is a deterrent i'd forgoe noise in favor of safety

Quote:

jc_dweller wrote:

No. No no no.
They did this a few years back and it was such an utter failure (and extremely loud) that they were removed within a few months. I can't imagine the neighborhood allowing that to happen again - goes to show how bad it was, that it was worse than the speeding cars.

We do need traffic calming and drivers that have the common decency to notice what's going on around them. Once I was in a crosswalk and a car nearly hit me. To add insult to injury, the driver leaned out of the window to yell at me. I pointed out that I was CROSSING in the Cross-WALK and she reminded me "Yeah B*$@#, well I have a car, what you gonna do 'bout it? THis is a CAR."

And, that, my friends, is high class.

Posted on: 2013/6/26 19:46

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2022/2/8 3:24
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

hero69 wrote:
They should put speed bumps on Jersey Avenue at busy intersections.

No. No no no.
They did this a few years back and it was such an utter failure (and extremely loud) that they were removed within a few months. I can't imagine the neighborhood allowing that to happen again - goes to show how bad it was, that it was worse than the speeding cars.

We do need traffic calming and drivers that have the common decency to notice what's going on around them. Once I was in a crosswalk and a car nearly hit me. To add insult to injury, the driver leaned out of the window to yell at me. I pointed out that I was CROSSING in the Cross-WALK and she reminded me "Yeah B*$@#, well I have a car, what you gonna do 'bout it? THis is a CAR."

And, that, my friends, is high class.

Posted on: 2013/6/26 19:36

Not too shy to talk
Not too shy to talk

Hide User information
Last Login :
2018/1/22 17:13
Group:
Registered Users
I'm not sure the reason, but the drivers in JC have no regard to pedestrians, and little regard to traffic signals. It's the generality, not the exception, that drivers will run down pedestrian, run red lights, run stop signs. Four to five times per year I can count on witnessing a car hitting another car or pedestrian. I

I've lived/worked in Hoboken, Philadelphia, NY, Queens, London and have never experienced such consistently poor dangerous driving behavior.

Every morning and evening I walk Jersey Ave from Hamilton Park to Newark to Christopher Columbus to exchange place and at least weekly a car comes closely to clipping me. Marin is especially bad.

It strikes me that there are three classes of issues:

1) General disregard for traffic regulations. This includes speeding (45-50 mph on Jersey is typical), stop signs, traffic signs, stop before right on red, pedestrians in the cross walk, talking on cell while driving.

I believe enforcement should be significantly increased with fines. My experience has been that the police rarely are in forcing the rules of the road. Even more disturbing is that during "accidents" no penalty to the driver is made. My neighbor and her sun were hit while in a cross walk with a stop sign and sent to the hospital. The driver didn't even get a ticket.

I believe the enforcement should be implemented both with police as well as cameras. I know the cameras are controversial, but I personally don't have much sympathy for drivers complaining as they are trying to "make the light".

2) Part of the reason for accidents is due to difficulty for cars to cross some roads (e.g. cross Jersey Ave from say 5th) is hard as there's too much traffic to due so safely, and on the side roads the stop signs are inconsistent (e.g. on the same road some intersections have stop signs and not others)

I understand that in some cities, that all intersections have 4 ways stops. It slows down traffic and removes the confusion. I think it's worth considering.

I believe traffic lights are required at all intersections for the major roads (Jersey, Newark, Columbus, etc)

3) Every morning and every evening, a huge portion of the traffic on Marin is tunnel traffic from cars jumping off the highway and cutting through JC. This should be stopped. It has no benefit to JC and only increases the costs and risks to JC. I'm not sure how to enforce this, but not allowing right turns on 12th street would be very effective (but would make it difficult for JC residents to use the tunnel). A better option would to disallow through traffic and enforce it through cameras on 12th street and the highway on/off ramps.

I'm sure that there are better solutions, but something must be done. One of the most amazing things about JC is that it's a real city where you can live, work and play without needing a car for everyday use. But it's much too dangerous because of the unlawful and reckless driving.

I'm hoping with the new administration that more can be done.

Posted on: 2013/6/26 16:58

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2023/7/17 17:42
From Hamilton Park
Group:
Banned
Quote:

SteveWilson29 wrote:
Quote:

Vigilante wrote:
My fear is that one day I am going to stop for a pedestrian and the impatient idiot behind me is gonna pass on the left and take out the pedestrian.

That happened to me when I was driving up Monmouth once. Had to swerve to block the asshole from running down the girl I stopped for. Talk about rage.

Same on Manila at 8th. I was a little to the right since I was turning, guy goes around me nearly taking out the pedestrian I stopped for.

Posted on: 2013/6/26 16:11

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2015/2/5 16:38
Group:
Banned
Quote:

Vigilante wrote:
My fear is that one day I am going to stop for a pedestrian and the impatient idiot behind me is gonna pass on the left and take out the pedestrian.

That happened to me when I was driving up Monmouth once. Had to swerve to block the asshole from running down the girl I stopped for. Talk about rage.

Posted on: 2013/6/26 15:48

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

hellojc wrote:
I find it crazy that our own local police force won't show the courtesy and respect to stop at crosswalks for pedestrians. I've had this happen on both Jersey Ave and Grove St many times, and they never had their lights on or look like they were in a rush.

Chief Comey used to beach himself in front of the former Bay Street headquarters and watch as car after car ran the stop sign at that corner. Doing something about it would've meant putting out his cigarette and taking a few steps, so naturally he did nothing.

Posted on: 2013/6/26 15:24

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2015/5/11 13:34
From Downtown
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

HPYC wrote:
Quick question for the crowd. When you have a 2-way street with crosswalks but no signals or stop signs (like Jersey Ave), I assume the requirement to stop for pedestrians in the crosswalk is the same, right? I ask because I have often stopped on my side, only to have about a million cars coming the other way fail to stop, to the point where the people behind me are honking, but the pedestrian still can't cross.

Am I wrong about this, and is there some exemption for 2-way streets? It seems like there's about a 1% chance of cars going in both directions stopping at the crossing...

On the subject of deathtrap crossings. The un-signaled crosswalk on Marin near the 12th St. Holland Tunnel entrance. There are huge, neon yellow warning signs, but if you cross there when people are rushing to get into the tunnel you are totally taking your life in your own hands.

You are correct! Though as a pedestrian I wouldn't tempt it. We'd do good to have Belisha beacons at the crosswalks.

NJ Law

Posted on: 2013/6/26 15:09

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2023/1/30 21:43
Group:
Registered Users
They should put speed bumps on Jersey Avenue at busy intersections.

Posted on: 2013/6/26 14:58

« 1 2 (3) 4 5 »

[Advanced Search]

Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!

LicenseInformation | AboutUs | PrivacyPolicy | Faq | Contact

JERSEY CITY LIST - News & Reviews - Jersey City, NJ - Copyright 2004 - 2017