Register now !    Login  
Main Menu
Who's Online
95 user(s) are online (75 user(s) are browsing Message Forum)

Members: 0
Guests: 95

more...

Browsing this Thread:   1 Anonymous Users

(1) 2 3 4 »

Re: Rich Boggiano for Jersey City Council Ward C
Not too shy to talk
Not too shy to talk

Hide User information
Last Login :
2020/3/24 23:49
Group:
Registered Users
Very happy for Rich and even happier for the residents of Ward C. Waitress 169

Posted on: 2013/6/12 14:40

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2022/2/28 7:31
From 280 Grove Street
Group:
Registered Users
Well done, you now have the opportunity to leave a legacy for the city and your family with any good deeds you do - If you do many deeds, you might have your name remembered as one of the councillors that made a significant difference.
I've always viewed a good politician like a professional golfer that is pre-occupied with getting 'titles' then 'sponsorship'.

Posted on: 2013/6/12 12:53
My humor is for the silent blue collar majority - If my posts offend, slander or you deem inappropriate and seek deletion, contact the webmaster for jurisdiction.

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
1/29 17:59
Group:
Registered Users
Congrats... a big win for Jersey City!

Posted on: 2013/6/12 12:18

Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

Hide User information
Last Login :
2017/12/16 18:43
Group:
Registered Users
I can't say thank you enough to all of the people who helped make tonight happen. If nothing else, I promise to spend the next four years trying to bring honesty and common sense back to city government. I look forward to working with Steve and the rest of our newly elected council to make that happen.

jsqfunk - Give me a call and we can discuss the situation. I'm assuming you already have my phone number, but if not let me know.

Posted on: 2013/6/12 6:34

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2019/11/7 23:14
Group:
Registered Users
Congratulations Rich! I missed when you came over to speak at CanCo, but I voted and am definitely looking forward to when you take office. Today is a good day!

Posted on: 2013/6/12 3:09

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2015/4/10 4:08
Group:
Registered Users
Boggiano, the winner of Ward C election, wants to revive Journal Square

Anthony J. Machcinski/The Jersey Journal By Anthony J. Machcinski/The Jersey Journal

on June 11, 2013 at 10:15 PM, updated June 11, 2013 at 10:40 PM

Rich Boggiano took a sip of Johnnie Walker Blue Label from a clear, plastic glass while sitting on a bar stool in the corner of the Reflections bar on Newark Avenue.

Boggiano, who mentioned that he hadn't eaten all day, took a bite of a turkey wrap, let out a sigh and smiled.

While it was Boggiano's first bite of food for the day, it was also his first as Councilman-elect for Ward C in Jersey City.

"It's an amazing feeling," Boggiano said with a smile. "I want to give back (to Ward C) and help these people. I can't thank them enough."

Boggiano, a 69-year-old retired Jersey City police detective, defeated the incumbent council rep and Fulop ally Nidia Lopez in today's runoff election in the ward, which includes Journal Square. Boggiano received 1,686 votes to Lopez's 1,332 votes to win a seat on the Jersey City City Council.

Like much of the time on the campaign trail, Boggiano, an independent, was flanked by numerous family members and volunteers, who loudly chanted "Rich-ie, Rich-ie" when news of Boggiano's victory was announced.

"I'm beyond excited," said Boggiano's daughter Katrina.

"He's worked so hard for this. This is something he should have done 20 years ago," she said.

Boggiano's son Chris added, "He's been a councilman for the last 30 years, now its official."

Boggiano admits that the biggest task of his term on the council will be the revitalization of the Journal Square area.

"I want to see Journal Square get back to what it once was," Boggiano said tonight.

"I want to see new development and get quality stores (in the area). I want to make the Loew's the jewel of Journal Square."

While the tasks may be in Boggiano's ward, he understands that the task will not be easy.

"I want to talk to the other (council members) who are involved," Boggiano said. "I want to talk to (Mayor-elect Fulop) and express to him what I want and what I would like to see happen."

Most of all, while other parts of the city grow and prosper, Boggiano wants to make sure those who reside in his ward are not forgotten in city hall.

"I want to see Ward C get its fair share," Boggiano said.

Posted on: 2013/6/12 3:00

Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

Hide User information
Last Login :
2018/11/7 2:57
Group:
Registered Users
Congratulations Rich

I know you are not automatically installed in office, but here is something you may be able to help out on.

The Coptic church on Bergen is bursting to the seams on Sunday mornings. I've counted 50 some baby strollers parked on the side walk. When services let out there are 100+ people congregating on the sidewalk area and on the street. I fear that the mixture of 1. a ton of kids, 2. lots of cars stopping and picking people up and dropping them off 3. busy Bergen Ave; will lead to someone getting hit.

I'm not sure the best solution (cop to direct traffic, etc) but it is something that has bothered me for a while.

Anyway, onwards and upwards for Journal Square!

Posted on: 2013/6/12 2:43

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2016/7/1 9:09
From Southern JC
Group:
Registered Users
Cool.

http://www.nj.com/hudson/index.ssf/20 ... re_victory_in_ward_c.html

Richard Boggiano, ex cop, declares victory in Ward C Jersey City runoff

By Anthony Machcinski
The Jersey Journal
June 11, 2013

Over 40 volunteers and family members supporting Ward C council candidate Rich Boggiano are declaring victory in tonight's election against incumbent Councilwoman Nidia Lopez.

Loud chants of "Rich-ie, Rich-ie, Rich-ie" by the crowd could be heard from outside the Reflections bar on Newark Avenue near Jersey City's Five Corners, showing their support for Boggiano, a retired Jersey City police detective.

The Hudson County Clerk's website shows that Boggiano received 1,686 machine ballots (56%) and Lopez received 1,332 votes (44 %).

Boggiano came in first place in the May 14 election, obtaining 36 percent of the vote. Lopez, who is a part of Mayor-elect Steve Fulop's slate, received 32 percent of the vote in the May 14 election.

Posted on: 2013/6/12 2:20

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2015/4/10 4:08
Group:
Registered Users
Congratulations Richard. Your independent voice, genuine concern for your Ward and this great city, and leatherneck tenacity will serve this city well.

Semper Fi from an old Airmen and veteran of the most recent war.

Posted on: 2013/6/12 1:43

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2016/7/1 9:09
From Southern JC
Group:
Registered Users
Good luck, Rich Boggiano. Out with the old admin. friends and cronies.

Posted on: 2013/6/11 10:38

Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

Hide User information
Last Login :
Group:
Registered Users
Who's ready to win an election?

Come out and vote today! You'll see "Rich Boggiano" is in Column 3B.

Posted on: 2013/6/11 10:00

Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

Hide User information
Last Login :
Group:
Registered Users
Please come out and vote tomorrow. Drag some friends and neighbors out of their houses.

Resized Image

Posted on: 2013/6/10 21:19

Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

Hide User information
Last Login :
Group:
Registered Users
Win, lose, or draw tomorrow this campaign has brought my family closer together.

This is a letter from daughter that was in the paper over the weekend but the JJ only put online just yesterday. I'm a very fortunate father:

Elect my dad, Rich Boggiano, daughter writes

I'm asking voters in Ward C to vote for my father, Rich Boggiano, for City Council on Tuesday. By now you've probably heard all you want to hear about each of the different candidates, so I want to tell you a different story about the type of man he is and will be as your next councilman.

My father joined the Marines in 1963 and served until 1969. He wasn't drafted. He volunteered, and it certainly wasn't the popular thing to do at the time. When Iraq invaded Kuwait back in 1990, my father reenlisted in the Army Reserve the same week. Why? Because service to others is everything to him. He served on the Jersey City Police Department far longer than necessary because he loved the job. He only left when he hit the mandatory retirement age.

Another way to look at my father is to look at the three children he raised here in Jersey City. My two brothers both went to the U.S. Military Academy at West Point and later saw combat in Iraq. They continue to serve today. I went to college and graduate school and came back to Jersey City to work in the Medical Center as a speech therapist. All three of us have followed our father's example of service to others.

During my lifetime, my dad has helped thousands of people and asked for nothing in return. He's fed the homeless at St. Joe's and volunteers his time there regularly. He volunteers on the Board of Head Start because he cares about education. He volunteers to bring West Point and the State Department to Jersey City's ethnic communities each year as part of the "Winning the Peace" program--all at no cost to the city. He's volunteered as President of the Hilltop Association.

The last few months our entire family has spent nearly 100 percent of our free time volunteering for our father to help him win this election. He has never asked for anything, so it's the least we can do to return the favor. On Tuesday, I ask you to vote for Rich Boggiano for Ward C City Council in Column 3B!

KATRINA BOGGIANO
JERSEY CITY

Posted on: 2013/6/10 12:33

Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

Hide User information
Last Login :
Group:
Registered Users
Here's another letter that was in the Jersey Journal this weekend supporting my candidacy. We have two days left until the election. We'll have lower turnout than usual, especially if the weather does not cooperate. Regardless of which ward you live in, please drag a few extra people out to the polls. Our elected officials have more legitimacy to implement change if they are actually elected by a popular mandate.

-----

Boggiano Acts, Lopez Doesn't, Voter Writes

I'm a longtime Ward C resident and encourage my friends and neighbors to cast their vote for Rich Boggiano on Tuesday for Ward C's City Council seat.

For as long as I can remember, Rich has been advocating for our community in ways big and small. He served his country as a Marine and then as a member of the Jersey City Police Department. His two sons graduated from West Point and later fought in Iraq, while his daughter works at the Medical Center helping everyone from small children to stroke victims. Talk about an entire family committed to serving causes greater than themselves!

Odds are if you need a problem fixed, you are going to be happy with the results if you give Rich a call. At the same time, I don't know a single person who has successfully gotten our current councilwoman to respond to a phone call or email during her time in office. She takes her position for granted, and did not even bother to show up to either of the debates leading up to this election without so much as giving an excuse for her absence.

On May 14, Jersey City voters gave a clear mandate that they are sick and tired of corrupt politicians using their office for personal gain. They voted for change. Rich is an independent voice for the average Jersey City resident who does not have anyone else to turn to. He is honest, sane, and genuinely cares about his community. VOTE for Rich Boggiano in Column 3B on Tuesday!

LYNN BARTLEY
JERSEY CITY

Posted on: 2013/6/9 23:52

Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

Hide User information
Last Login :
Group:
Registered Users
Great letter in today's paper. "Quite honestly, in my mind, Richie has been the Councilperson from Ward C for quite some time now." - Bob Duval.

Here's the full letter:

Richard Boggiano is running for Jersey City Council in Ward C. I recall when my family moved to Ward C and lived there for over 15 years. Although Richie lived on the other side of State Highway, Richie was one of the first people I met. Richie has always been a community person and heads up the Hilltop Neighborhood Association. He helped me work with others to start an association in my neighborhood near Christ Hospital. Whenever there was an issue, Richie would be there to help me and my neighbors. We worked together on crime, dirty streets and harmful development. Street design, noisy cars, dangerous buses, loud music, troublesome bars, all quality of life issues that mean so much to us on a daily basis -- Richard Boggiano succeeded more often than others. Richie never seemed to care too much about his own well-being as much as he did for the rest of us. On many occasions I have seen Richie help out at the church across the street. Richard Boggiano is everywhere all of the time. Quite honestly, in my mind, Richie has been the Councilperson from Ward C for quite some time now. I feel that this will not change whether or not he is elected. Vote for Richard Boggiano, a real reformer who is not a holdover from the prior administration.

BOB DUVAL
HOBOKEN

http://www.nj.com/hudson/voices/index ... as_what_it_takes_wri.html

Posted on: 2013/6/8 11:33

Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

Hide User information
Last Login :
Group:
Registered Users
For those of you in Ward C, here's a sample ballot for Tuesday.

Resized Image

Posted on: 2013/6/7 17:42

Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

Hide User information
Last Login :
Group:
Registered Users
Hi JC Listers,

Two things for you today:

1. Today is the 69th anniversary of D-Day. As a former Marine and father of two combat veterans of the Iraq War, I stop every year and thank God for the brave soldiers who stormed the beaches of Normandy on June 6, 1944.

2. Someone sent me an endorsement from my opponent that is worth sharing given all of the mud-slinging I have been hearing about for the last few weeks from her camp about me. Hard to believe she thought so highly of me just a year ago when I wasn't running against her!

Rich Boggiano "is a source of information and has knowledge when it comes to police matters... He is loved, respected and thought of as a strong leader [in our community]." - Nidia Lopez, May 17, 2012

Posted on: 2013/6/6 16:27

Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

Hide User information
Last Login :
Group:
Registered Users
I think you're pretty safe fat-ass-bike: The best part about growing old (I'm 69) is that money isn't what gets me out of bed in the morning.

I've always hated wasteful spending and corruption. I live in the same house I bought for $30,000 back in 1980. I'd driven beat up used cars all my life until my kids talked me into buying my first new one ever just last year (a Subaru - fancy stuff). I probably donate more time and money (to animal shelters, St Joe's church, land preservation charities, etc) than most because I have everything I need as it is. Long story short, you can't corrupt someone who isn't in it for the money.

Posted on: 2013/6/6 1:11

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
From 280 Grove Street
Group:
Registered Users
If you win Rich, just promise to maintain the public trust bestowed on all public officials - JC has taken a beating over the years with self-serving officials pre-occupied with graft and corruption

Posted on: 2013/6/6 0:38
My humor is for the silent blue collar majority - If my posts offend, slander or you deem inappropriate and seek deletion, contact the webmaster for jurisdiction.

Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

Hide User information
Last Login :
Group:
Registered Users
Good to see so many people out for the transition meeting at city hall tonight!

Jersey City you voted for change on May 14. Let's finish the job on June 11! Vote Boggiano column 3B!

Posted on: 2013/6/6 0:32

Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

Hide User information
Last Login :
Group:
Registered Users
Thank You Binky and Bricks! Less than one week to go until the election. Turnout will be low. Here's some facts for you:

- Total Ward C population is approximately 40,000.
- There are about 19,500 registered voters in Ward C.
- 5500 people from Ward C voted in the May 14 general election.
- We'll likely see between 2,000-2,500 votes cast in Ward C on June 11.

Half of that (around 1000-1250 voters) will get to decide the winning candidate. To put that another way, roughly 3% of the Ward's population will decide the council leadership for the other 97%. Many people don't bother to vote because they think their vote doesn't matter. Here in Ward C that is definitely not the case. Please come out and vote next Tuesday!

Posted on: 2013/6/5 4:23

Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

Hide User information
Last Login :
2021/5/17 15:38
From Bergen Hill
Group:
Registered Users
The Rich Boggiano vs. Nidia Lopez issue on this forum has been tricky to follow because they are running across three threads (this and the two Nidia threads). After reading everything, especially your last post Rich, it seems pretty clear to me that you have accomplished more as an ordinary resident than Nidia Lopez has accomplished as a councilperson. You have my vote and I am looking forward to having you as my new councilperson.

Posted on: 2013/6/4 14:29

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2016/6/20 2:33
Group:
Registered Users
Best of Luck, Rich.

Posted on: 2013/6/4 10:38

Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

Hide User information
Last Login :
Group:
Registered Users
Fat-ass-bike:

Thanks for your question. I've been fighting against corruption and stupid decisions in Jersey City for about 40 years now. The Healy administration was just the latest incarnation of a broken record that's been playing for decades.

1. I fully support redevelopment of Journal Square, but it needs to fit into the context of the larger community and surrounding neighborhoods. I fought the Healy administration over the Robinhood Development. They're essentially taking a 42 story building and dropping it down in a neighborhood of 2-3 story homes. They're also demolishing some of those homes to do it. In return, the city gets .8 acres to develop into a park, but they don't get any money to actually do the park's development, which is problematic because the piece of land is almost completely unusable without having millions and millions of dollars put into it. In other words, the developer gave away land he didn't want anyway. Steve Fulop voted against this project. Nidia Lopez voted for it.

2. Again, I have been advocating for proper redevelopment of the Journal Square area for the last 30 or so years (there is a difference between that and development for the sake of development). Back in the 1980's the rail cut that runs through the square was nearly expanded to create the "Waldo Yards." In other words, the city at the time almost made a big chunk of Journal Square into rail yards - just what we don't need. More recently, the county and city wanted to take over land on Washburn St and use it to create more county and city controlled land. Not only would they take more property off the tax rolls (thus increasing everyone else's taxes), they wanted to do it with land that is prime for redevelopment as commercial/residential space. I won this fight.

3. The police HQ at 8 Erie St suffered from years of neglect and lack of maintenance from the city. In 2011, the Healy administration sold the building for approximately $2 million to help close a hole in the budget at the time. Now, the city leases space for $800,000 year. Our Police HQ now shares space with a grocery store. The new space does not include parking, so we pay some more money to lease that as well. Long story short, we managed to neglect a building for years then sell it at a discount only to turn around and lease space at a premium from a landlord who financially supported the mayor. As an added benefit, we managed to lower the already low morale of the JCPD (morale matters - improving it makes the PD more effective and doesn't cost anything other than having good leadership in place).

4. I 10,000% support very tight pay to play controls on campaign finance, which contrary to what Mayor Healy's administration was all about. As an independent, I'm used to be heavily outgunned financially, and I think it can have a corrupting influence on even honest politicians who feel they need to take any money they can get just to stay in the campaign finance arms race.

I haven't lived in Jersey City and raised my kids here because I'm in it for the money. I'm not running for city council for the money. I volunteer for organizations (President of the Hilltop, Board Member of Head Start, State Department/West Point's Winning the Peace Program in Little India, etc) because I get genuine satisfaction out of helping other people and making Jersey City a better place. Transparency in our local campaign finance encourages more citizen activists and takes away power from carrer politicians who are beholden to the donors.

5. I fully support the merger of the JCIA and DPW. Eliminate patronage jobs and duplicative services while saving the city money. I'm all for this move and other moves like it.

6. I think that Department Heads and Directors of city organizations should have to sleep in Jersey City 270 nights or more each year (this effectively means they have to be residents, but "residency" is an ill defined topic with a number of loopholes as my opponent knows all too well). People who live in the city have a vested interest in this city. I know it's illegal to mandate such a thing for rank and file employees, but I don't think it's illegal to do so for top level positions. I also don't think it's illegal to only hire people for those positions who already live in the city.

What have I done on all of these issues? I'm an ordinary citizen, like most other people here. I use the block of voters represented by the Hilltop to bring attention to these issues. I attend council meeting and speak at a number of them when public comments are allowed. I write letters to the paper. I make phone calls and let politicians know I'm opposed to their move. I get other agencies involved. In short, I do everything I can to get more ordinary people behind an issue that I support. Even in a place that is historically corrupt like Jersey City it's hard for a politician to ignore the will of the people if they speak with one voice.

I am nearly universally acknowledged in Jersey City as honest and as someone with the best interests of this city in mind. I'm also pretty effective (I've lost fights but won more than my fair share). I think voters in Ward C recognize this. The fact that I came in #1 on May 14 after being outspent 10 to 1 speaks to that. Jersey City finally voted for change on May 14 and I'm confident they'll vote that way again on June 11.

Posted on: 2013/6/3 16:21

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
From 280 Grove Street
Group:
Registered Users
I'd like to know what issues you Rich, were vocal against with Healy's directives, policies, programs and mandates and what steps did you take to prevent them?

Fulop was very vocal and put up a good fight against many of Healy's directives, policies and programs.

Posted on: 2013/6/3 9:04

Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

Hide User information
Last Login :
Group:
Registered Users
Hi everyone,

If you are interested in volunteering between now and election day, or on election day itself, we are taking all comers! If you are interested please just let us know here:

http://jcboggiano.com/contact

Thank you!

Posted on: 2013/6/3 0:49

Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

Hide User information
Last Login :
Group:
Registered Users
Thanks to everyone who came out to the debate last night. As expected, Nidia Lopez was once again a no show. She had no legitimate reason for her absence.

The residents of Ward C deserve better: someone they can get in touch with when they have a problem, and someone who is actually effective at getting problems solved. Vote for change on June 11!

Posted on: 2013/6/1 10:31

Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

Hide User information
Last Login :
Group:
Registered Users
An Open Letter to Nidia Lopez:

In the run-up to the May 14 election, you missed the sole debate for Ward C City Council candidates because there was a caucus meeting the same evening. Even though that meeting ended right around the start of the debate, you chose not to attend or even come a few minutes late.

Immediately after the election, Yvonne Balcer of Hudson County TV announced a May 31 debate for run-off candidates. A full week after that debate was scheduled you have now announced that you will not attend because you have chosen to hold a fundraiser for your campaign instead.

Last week I made an offer to your campaign to hold a debate at the time and place of your choosing. You chose not to respond to that offer. I am repeating that offer but will now take it one step further. I will give you the questions you need to answer. Here they are:

1. In 2009 you promised to fix the fountain in Journal Square. Why is it filled with dirt and plants, and not water?
2. In 2009 you promised to bring the Guardian Angels to Jersey City. Where are they?
3. Peg Leg Pete's famous statue is missing from Bergen Square. Where is it since you promised to bring him back?
4. You've been a council member for four years. Why has nothing happened with the historic Loews Theater during your tenure?
5. How exactly has Ward C benefitted from your time in public office?
6. As a city council member, what bills have you sponsored that have passed? (Let me help you out and give you the answer: None.)
7. Will you ever actually show up to a debate?

The residents of Ward C deserve a council member who keeps promises and is responsive to them and their questions. Take those residents for granted at your own peril come election day.

Yours,
Rich Boggiano
Candidate for Ward C City Council

Posted on: 2013/5/31 12:22

Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

Hide User information
Last Login :
Group:
Registered Users
A big thank you to everyone who came out for my fundraiser tonight. I am truly humbled by your generosity and support. Thank you!

Posted on: 2013/5/30 2:28

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2021/9/23 15:07
From Between Thought and Expression
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

JCCheerleader wrote:
Great! Tell me how Mr. Biggiano has been an activist in the Square. I would really like to know. Because I'm involved in three groups here and he's not in any of them. This means he and I do not run in the same circles. And that means I don't know anything about him. So instead of looking at whatever I ask as a threat and resorting to juvenile tactics (my questions are far from stupid), why don't you tell me about what Rich Boggiano has done for the Square?

Can you name these three groups. Heck, I'll settle for you naming two! Is Nidia Lopez a member of these groups?

Posted on: 2013/5/28 17:35

(1) 2 3 4 »

[Advanced Search]

Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!

LicenseInformation | AboutUs | PrivacyPolicy | Faq | Contact

JERSEY CITY LIST - News & Reviews - Jersey City, NJ - Copyright 2004 - 2017