Register now !    Login  
Main Menu
Who's Online
108 user(s) are online (97 user(s) are browsing Message Forum)

Members: 0
Guests: 108

more...

Browsing this Thread:   1 Anonymous Users

Re: Local Indie Musicians Starting New Music Series in PAD
Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2020/9/30 18:46
From Van Vorst Park
Group:
Registered Users
This is what is most exciting about the new mayor. Soon enough, businesses are not going to struggle to open as they have been. It is going to be a MUCH more business friendly atmosphere, and we are all going to benefit greatly from this.

Posted on: 2013/6/6 13:37

Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

Hide User information
Last Login :
2018/9/27 23:02
From Downtown
Group:
Registered Users

Quote:

brewster wrote: This sounds great, but I imagine they're breaking several zoning and liquor laws. It's tough enough to get permits to do something like this at a block party. And why there's no music in JC.

This is exactly why this election was so important. If people want Jersey City to have live music and events like this, then decisive steps need to be taken by the new administration to transform JC into a culture-friendly, business friendly town. Right now, the first thing that pops into everyone's heads is who do I have to convince to give me a permit. I'm not saying to throw fire safety and the public's right to quiet enjoyment out the window, but create a streamlined process where events like this can exist or designate the PAD to be a live district. We need more flxibility and less red tape.

Posted on: 2013/6/6 12:47

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2015/2/5 16:38
Group:
Banned
Quote:

eggzbenedict wrote:
Quote:

tommyc_37 wrote:
Quote:

eggzbenedict wrote:
I saw 7 different bands play in JC this past weekend alone. To say there is no live music in town is a bit of a stretch.

Can you share where? Sounds awesome.

2 bands at Lucky 7s Sat night, 5 at the Bike Ward Tour Sun. Also, let's not forget Groove on Grove every week. While the city does lack a proper venue, the music is there if you look for it.

Yeah, but all of those bands are terrible.

Posted on: 2013/6/6 10:07

Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

Hide User information
Last Login :
2017/11/16 4:48
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

tommyc_37 wrote:
Quote:

eggzbenedict wrote:
I saw 7 different bands play in JC this past weekend alone. To say there is no live music in town is a bit of a stretch.

2 bands at Lucky 7s Sat night, 5 at the Bike Ward Tour Sun. Also, let's not forget Groove on Grove every week. While the city does lack a proper venue, the music is there if you look for it.

Posted on: 2013/6/5 22:51

Quite a regular
Quite a regular

Hide User information
Last Login :
2014/12/18 3:12
Group:
Registered Users
the loft show was good. the space is a little echo-ey but the performances were solid.

lots coming up too. this weekend Arthouse over on hamilton park will host an EP release by THE GULLY HUBBARDS on friday and on saturday there's a show with AMERICAN WATERCOLOR MOVEMENT and THE EVERYMEN. on tuesday there's a show by deb DEVI over at Two Boots. a lot of other bands are lised for various openings during JC Fridays.

AWM

Posted on: 2013/6/5 22:08

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
From Van Vorst Park
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

eggzbenedict wrote:

Posted on: 2013/6/5 21:52

Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

Hide User information
Last Login :
2017/11/16 4:48
Group:
Registered Users

Posted on: 2013/6/5 19:05

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2018/8/14 15:19
From Lafayette
Group:
Registered Users
+1, I look forward to checking out the next one.

Quote:

tommyc_37 wrote:
Kudos to these people for this. The lack of live music in Jersey City is actually absurd. Any given suburb has a bigger live music presence than JC. It's completely unacceptable.

Posted on: 2013/6/5 15:17

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
From Van Vorst Park
Group:
Registered Users
Kudos to these people for this. The lack of live music in Jersey City is actually absurd. Any given suburb has a bigger live music presence than JC. It's completely unacceptable.

Posted on: 2013/6/4 20:35

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2015/11/10 19:14
Group:
Registered Users

Posted on: 2013/6/4 18:37

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2017/11/7 17:48
From 8th st
Group:
Registered Users
The first date looks like it already passed. Does anyone have any feedback on how it went? If I had heard about it before hand I would have been there.

Posted on: 2013/6/4 17:03

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2023/7/17 17:42
From Hamilton Park
Group:
Banned
This sounds great, but I imagine they're breaking several zoning and liquor laws. It's tough enough to get permits to do something like this at a block party. And why there's no music in JC.

Posted on: 2013/6/4 17:00

Local Indie Musicians Starting New Music Series in PAD
Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2019/12/26 15:30
From GV Bayside Park
Group:
Registered Users
By Summer Dawn Hortillosa

Resized Image

Blues singer Eliza Neals (seen right) has had enough of the Jersey City music scene?or rather, of its malnourishment. Now, she?s starting the Naked Blues Loft Music Series, what she hopes will be a bimonthly event that will bring together local musicians, artist spaces and venues.

?I am not impressed by the scene here because the community and venues as a whole do not back us very much,? says the Powerhouse Arts District resident. ?For so many people you would think there would be a venue to support live music?I believe that good music is a cure and Jersey City is trying to get well.?

Neals, whose raw, sultry style has won her accolades including two Detroit Music Awards this year for Best Blues Recording and Best Rock Songwriter, has been a lifelong blues girl.

?I grew up in the Motor City from a musical family so it drives my soul,? she says, adding that collaborating with other musicians gives variety and life to her music. ?Bootsy Collins anointed me with his funky balloon at a record store. Then I met Motown legend Barrett Strong and started songwriting and singing with him.

?I?m a kamikaze-style frontwoman. I can find a ?good? musician in a bowl of rice and boom?we?re performing together,? she says.

Neals hopes to bring the same electric spontaneity to the Naked Blues series, which will be the latest local effort to give JC musicians a place to regularly perform. She?s running the series from 150 Bay Street, a condominium which is also home to many local artists.

?Being a musician, I feel like that live music is always a sideshow in Jersey City, not the main act,? says Neals. ?Many artists open their doors for art sales, etc., so being in the Jersey City Artist Studio Tours, I figured why not open the doors and showcase music??

For the kickoff concert, Neals herself will perform. The show will also feature Debra Devi, a rock musician and author of The Language of the Blues: From Alcorub to Zuzu. The Downtown Jersey City resident is best known as the frontwoman of rock band Devi.

?Debra will perform naked?yes, naked, stripped down, so you can listen to her words and hear her perform. Just her guitar and one other musician, similar to how I will perform,? says Neals. ?Debra is also a cutting-edge female artist, and indie females need to support each other in this male-dominated biz.?

Overall, she says musicians need to band together and take control of their destiny.

?Independent musicians need to get together and not wait for a venue just go for it,? she says. ?If you don?t try something, you got nothing.?

The Naked Blues Loft Music Series launches on Saturday, May 25, 7 pm to 10 pm at 150 Bay Street. Drinks and dessert will be served. Admission is a suggested donation of $5. Doors open at 6 pm. A doorman in the lobby will direct guests to the appropriate loft.

Photo courtesy of Eliza Neals

Posted on: 2013/6/4 16:35

[Advanced Search]

Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!

LicenseInformation | AboutUs | PrivacyPolicy | Faq | Contact

JERSEY CITY LIST - News & Reviews - Jersey City, NJ - Copyright 2004 - 2017