Register now !    Login  
Main Menu
Who's Online
128 user(s) are online (115 user(s) are browsing Message Forum)

Members: 0
Guests: 128

more...

Browsing this Thread:   1 Anonymous Users

BottomBottom  Previous Topic Previous Topic  Next Topic Next Topic   Register To PostTopic is Locked

(1) 2 3 4 ... 12 »

Re: Dan is still Dan
Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2022/11/28 0:04
From New Urbanist Area
Group:
Registered Users
The race is over. There is no need to attack anyone, whether it be Levin, Osborne, or voters whose choice you don't like.

Before, it was nasty but at least about relevant issues as to who to vote for. Now it's just people spitting in each others faces.

I would ask the webmaster to euthanize this thread.

Posted on: 2013/5/16 20:57

Quite a regular
Quite a regular

Hide User information
Last Login :
2013/5/16 21:05
Group:
Registered Users
I?d like thank the voters of Jersey City that have shown their support for me as a candidate, the values we brought forward and the concrete ideas we have presented. I am grateful to those that put their names behind our efforts and articulated reasons for others to vote for me. I have been fortunate to have the help and support of some incredible people that gave themselves to try to make their city better.

I have always known from the start that my attempts to run for elected office were unlikely to succeed, but I believed that the efforts were constructive and worthwhile. I have never been in a good position to run. I have not had the wherewithal nor the capacity to do it well. But we did it anyway.

Three elections in five years is more than enough. Add in life changes and it is time for me to refocus, get back to work, take care of my family and restart my career. We will still participate in our neighborhood association and be active in our children?s schools. We will still volunteer and participate in the many non-profits that we have been a part of, but this chapter is closed.

I have no regrets as to the choices and decisions made over the years and believe that all of the efforts that I have been privileged to be a part of have moved us a few steps forward.

There are two independents left in runoffs in this election: Rich Boggiano and Michael Yun. They are good men. Vote for them. If you can?t, give them a few hours of help.

Thank you all for walking beside me,

Dan

http://onejerseycity.com/?p=1796

Posted on: 2013/5/16 18:28

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2015/1/7 4:11
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

That's fine. I meant that in respect to what Dan wants for Jersey City. Anyway the election is over and I hope that Dan will remain as involved as he has been in the past. We all know that in reality Dan is much more qualified to sit at the "big boy's table" than any of the clowns that have sat there in the past.

On this point I think many of us can agree

Posted on: 2013/5/16 1:35
I'm not perfect.....but I'm not all bad either.

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2023/1/15 1:13
From Leashless Glory.
Group:
Banned
Quote:

PBW wrote:
Quote:

OneOBall wrote:
Quote:

PBW wrote:
The thing is this wasn't just switching sides to get in, this was teaming for someone he vehemently tried to get impeached. This is going against your past principles. This is what hurt him most.

Fair enough. But you were fine with Mayor Elect Fulop's association with Sean Connors?
http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2012/09 ... n-american_n_1861195.html

Actually I wasn't. I don't think that worked out too well for him either.

I'll be honest when you really support a candidate you can look, maybe naively, at that as someone going to the good side as opposed to someone going to the dark side.

He never led rallies to impeach Fulop. And while He called Fulop UnAmerican, he at least gave the lack of response to Sandy as the reason he switched, as to Levin, he just well, he just changed his mind. And really, lots of people switch sides for elections. I really can't compare these two til half of Fulops staff is brought up on Federal Bribery charges.

@Vig "Clever ploy" was a term someone used very early on in this thread. I can see how what I wrote implied it was you so I apologize. But you did say "If we knew his true intentions" which connotates a ploy, in my defense.

That's fine. I meant that in respect to what Dan wants for Jersey City. Anyway the election is over and I hope that Dan will remain as involved as he has been in the past. We all know that in reality Dan is much more qualified to sit at the "big boy's table" than any of the clowns that have sat there in the past.

Posted on: 2013/5/15 18:28

Quite a regular
Quite a regular

Hide User information
Last Login :
2015/5/19 16:52
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

PBW wrote:

No it didn't. And it will likely be a hole in Mayor Elect Fulop's council. But it would appear he will get most, if not all, of the rest of his council. So we should see a lot of changes very soon, I would think.

Posted on: 2013/5/15 17:48

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2013/11/1 17:27
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

OneOBall wrote:
Quote:

PBW wrote:
The thing is this wasn't just switching sides to get in, this was teaming for someone he vehemently tried to get impeached. This is going against your past principles. This is what hurt him most.

Fair enough. But you were fine with Mayor Elect Fulop's association with Sean Connors?

I'll be honest when you really support a candidate you can look, maybe naively, at that as someone going to the good side as opposed to someone going to the dark side.

He never led rallies to impeach Fulop. And while He called Fulop UnAmerican, he at least gave the lack of response to Sandy as the reason he switched, as to Levin, he just well, he just changed his mind. And really, lots of people switch sides for elections. I really can't compare these two til half of Fulops staff is brought up on Federal Bribery charges.

@Vig "Clever ploy" was a term someone used very early on in this thread. I can see how what I wrote implied it was you so I apologize. But you did say "If we knew his true intentions" which connotates a ploy, in my defense.

Posted on: 2013/5/15 17:40

Quite a regular
Quite a regular

Hide User information
Last Login :
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

PBW wrote:

Posted on: 2013/5/15 17:26

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
From Leashless Glory.
Group:
Banned
Quote:

PBW wrote:
Quote:

Vigilante wrote:

Not everyone just toes the line. Dan did what he thought he had to do. It didn't work but his neighbors know his true intentions and we had no problem supporting him. Good luck and congratulations to Candace Osborne.

I'm his "neighbor" and I had a problem supporting him, or are you in some sort of inner circle?
I voted for Dan his last 2 runs. I have donated to his last campaign. I was at his rallies to oust Healy, and I am personally insulted by his decision.
Unless his "clever ploy" was to secretly tape Healy talking about breaking campaign or embezzlement laws, he will never have my vote again in the future.

I get it though. I'm sure he knew he was going to be losing some votes like mine, probably thought by teaming up with the big machine he would get 2 votes for every 1 lost. I really thought this race would be a lot closer. But he lost more than an election this time - he lost some integrity.

The irony is that I would probably have voted for him if he wasn't on the Healy ticket. As big as a Fulop supporter that I am, I think having people on the council
who weren't on the mayor's ticket helps spark debate. Would I have rather it been someone like Dan than Epps? Yes. But the Dan 3 years ago.
For all his drunken escapades, Healy can be pretty smart. He never touched the money. By putting Dan on his ticket he silenced one of his most vocal critics.

As harsh as I am on him, I hope Dan continues. The city needs political activists like him to keep the government in check, yes, even a Fulop administration.
But that is where he should stay. Three times now the voters have spoken;
we don't want him at the big boy's table.

What's with the "clever ploy" quote? Who wrote that? I certainly did not.

Posted on: 2013/5/15 17:00

Quite a regular
Quite a regular

Hide User information
Last Login :
2013/5/16 21:05
Group:
Registered Users
http://onejerseycity.com/

Our Public Values

Jersey City government will:

* Safeguard the security, health, and well-being of its residents

* Respect the cultural and economic diversity of its residents and foster the widest possible public participation in government

* Ensure openness and transparency to governmental plans, processes, and actions

* Minimize conflicts of interest in decision-making processes

* Incorporate best practices in all aspects of government

* Honor and build upon the city?s unique natural and human history and historic resources

* Excel as an employer and motivator of a civic-minded government workforce

* Embrace new and innovative service programs for its people

* Foster short- and long-term financial stability

* Make quality public education a top priority

Posted on: 2013/5/15 16:09

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

Vigilante wrote:

Not everyone just toes the line. Dan did what he thought he had to do. It didn't work but his neighbors know his true intentions and we had no problem supporting him. Good luck and congratulations to Candace Osborne.

I'm his "neighbor" and I had a problem supporting him, or are you in some sort of inner circle?
I voted for Dan his last 2 runs. I have donated to his last campaign. I was at his rallies to oust Healy, and I am personally insulted by his decision.
Unless his "clever ploy" was to secretly tape Healy talking about breaking campaign or embezzlement laws, he will never have my vote again in the future.

I get it though. I'm sure he knew he was going to be losing some votes like mine, probably thought by teaming up with the big machine he would get 2 votes for every 1 lost. I really thought this race would be a lot closer. But he lost more than an election this time - he lost some integrity.

The irony is that I would probably have voted for him if he wasn't on the Healy ticket. As big as a Fulop supporter that I am, I think having people on the council
who weren't on the mayor's ticket helps spark debate. Would I have rather it been someone like Dan than Epps? Yes. But the Dan 3 years ago.
For all his drunken escapades, Healy can be pretty smart. He never touched the money. By putting Dan on his ticket he silenced one of his most vocal critics.

As harsh as I am on him, I hope Dan continues. The city needs political activists like him to keep the government in check, yes, even a Fulop administration.
But that is where he should stay. Three times now the voters have spoken;
we don't want him at the big boy's table.

Posted on: 2013/5/15 15:36

Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

Hide User information
Last Login :
2020/8/23 12:49
Group:
Registered Users
I guess no one thought C&S Industries was a conflict of interest.

Posted on: 2013/5/15 12:30

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
From Leashless Glory.
Group:
Banned
Quote:

vindication15 wrote:
Quote:

bill wrote:
Quote:

tern wrote:
Fulop and Levin for me.

Robin.

I did the same. Dan was outside Grace Church when I voted.

I can safely say that you were in the minority of those who voted for Dan lol. A fringe candidate, Walker, got more votes than the supposedly well known Levin...in his own district nonetheless.

Posted on: 2013/5/15 3:20

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2017/4/20 19:08
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

bill wrote:
Quote:

tern wrote:
Fulop and Levin for me.

Robin.

I can safely say that you were in the minority of those who voted for Dan lol. A fringe candidate, Walker, got more votes than the supposedly well known Levin...in his own district nonetheless.

Posted on: 2013/5/15 2:56

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2017/9/14 20:15
From Crystal Point
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

tern wrote:
Fulop and Levin for me.

Robin.

Posted on: 2013/5/15 1:43

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2023/7/18 1:45
From Hamilton Park
Group:
Registered Users
Fulop and Levin for me.

Robin.

Posted on: 2013/5/14 22:34

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

Vigilante wrote:
I despise Healy but I voted for Dan Levin. Anyone who thinks Dan has anything in common with Healy besides a place on the ballot just hasn't been paying attention.

I've been paying very close attention. I have respect for Levin but will not vote for him. He very clearly has been hypocritical in his reaction towards Healy policy in this campaign. He is a good guy but he sold out. You looked at that action and looked at Mr. Levin's past and made your informed decision. I did the same thing then made mine. I will not vote for Levin.

Sometimes folks don't agree with you. That doesn't mean they have not been paying attention.

Posted on: 2013/5/14 20:57

Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

Hide User information
Last Login :
2015/4/8 1:12
From Lafayette
Group:
Registered Users
Wanted to vote for Dan Levin but I'm in ward F. Voted for Steve Fulop, (and Sean Connelly, for his past experience as Corporation Counsel for JC. He'll go after the developers who are swindling JC tax-payers)

REFORMERS WIN!!

Posted on: 2013/5/14 20:05

Edited by jcmiles on 2013/5/14 20:24:06

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
From Leashless Glory.
Group:
Banned
I despise Healy but I voted for Dan Levin. Anyone who thinks Dan has anything in common with Healy besides a place on the ballot just hasn't been paying attention.

Posted on: 2013/5/14 18:01

Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

Hide User information
Last Login :
2020/8/23 12:49
Group:
Registered Users
I would like to see Dan working with Steve. Dan deserves the seat, regardless of Healy. Candace I just never heard of.

Posted on: 2013/5/14 17:27

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
Group:
Registered Users
Going to be interesting. Can't vote for Mr. Levin this time. His alignment with hopefully soon to be ex-Mayor Healy raises to many questions.

Posted on: 2013/5/14 17:24

Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

Hide User information
Last Login :
2020/10/21 20:09
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

AngelSauce wrote:
Candice is building a solid resume of community involvement but Dan is the better choice in terms of overall experience.

I feel completely comfortable voting for Fulop and Dan and I hope that they are both in the win column by the end of tomorrow night.

Agreed.

Fulop is a very clear, no-brainer choice over Healy. As for Ward E, I'm going to go with Dan. I don't know any of these candidates personally but have been doing some research. Dan's responses, thoughtfulness, experience win me over.

Posted on: 2013/5/14 16:31

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2017/11/7 17:48
From 8th st
Group:
Registered Users
I sat looking at that last button for a long time. Even though I disagree with Dan on some things, I think he is a solid guy who really has the best interests of the city at heart. Still couldn't do it...

Posted on: 2013/5/14 12:53

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2021/9/23 15:07
From Between Thought and Expression
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

PBW wrote:
I can't vote for anyone on Healy's ticket, which includes Dan.

I still don't understand how any progressive person that follows politics in Jersey City could vote for Healy or any candidate on his slate. I wish Dan the best of luck in life, but not in this election.

Posted on: 2013/5/14 12:06

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
Group:
Registered Users
I can't vote for anyone on Healy's ticket, which includes Dan.

Posted on: 2013/5/14 10:44

Hide User information
Last Login :
2014/10/10 0:51
Group:
Registered Users
Candice is building a solid resume of community involvement but Dan is the better choice in terms of overall experience.

I feel completely comfortable voting for Fulop and Dan and I hope that they are both in the win column by the end of tomorrow night.

Posted on: 2013/5/14 3:11

Quite a regular
Quite a regular

Hide User information
Last Login :
2013/5/14 1:51
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

OneJC wrote:
Testimonial for Dan Levin by Jersey City Preservationist John Gomez

Dan Levin has not just been a friend to historic preservation in Jersey City ? he has been a pioneer and an outspoken advocate who believes in the intrinsic value of the built environment.

Dan is a founding board member of the Jersey City Landmarks Conservancy, a citizen- steered organization that has been around since 1999 fighting for threatened historic buildings. With true civic passion and pride, Dan took on the huge task of establishing the fledgling organization as a not-for-profit historic preservation entity. On his own time, and without compensation, Dan helped obtain the group?s 501(c)(3) status and tax identification number. As its tireless treasurer, he created from scratch a system of spread sheets, forms and receipts for sound book keeping purposes, and he maintained and grew the organization?s treasury ? all practices and staples of institutional success, impact and longevity.

Historic preservation is not an easy task, especially in cities pressured by commercial development. Jersey City needs a leader who will commit to furthering the protection of our architectural patrimony; who will seek and find a fair balance so that new development can continue without hurting our historicity; and who will promise to go into the inner city sections to assist in preserving, protecting and promoting historic resources and igniting revitalization and economic prosperity.

Dan Levin is the preservation visionary Jersey City needs. I believe his trustworthiness, dedication, intelligence, understanding and innate respect for Jersey City?s past, present and future make him singularly qualified to step up to the civic stage.

John Gomez
M.S. Historic Preservation, Columbia University
Architectural Historian
Founder, Jersey City Landmarks Conservancy
Author, Legendary Locals of Jersey City
Manager + Moderator, Historical Preservation Network

http://onejerseycity.com/?p=1728

Dan Levin is the only candidate running downtown in 2013 with a background in historic preservation.

Posted on: 2013/5/14 1:35

Quite a regular
Quite a regular

Hide User information
Last Login :
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

Althea wrote:
look closely at all three candidates and make your choice based on what is most important to you.

I could not agree more.

Posted on: 2013/5/13 23:46

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2016/3/23 17:09
Group:
Registered Users
Otis,

While you believe that Dan has done a lot, you can't point fingers and continually accuse the rest of us of sitting on our laurels.

Why wasn't I at the recall? Because it was useless to think that you could get more signatures than people who voted in the general election. I was helping to craft legislation to improve the quality of life for people. I have three young children to care for so I pick my battles wisely.

You are right, to say that Dan has done little is ridiculous. His dedication not only to the City, but often in the kindness to his neighbors should not be in doubt. I mean that sincerely because I know I come off as harsh most of the time in my writing. I know that everyone should recognize how hard it is to put yourself out there to run for office and how easy it is to attack the candidate.

Dan, whether he wins or not IS your neighbor and a respected community member. So is Candice.

That being said, it is the issues that concern me. I weigh in only because I have worked hard for all of Jersey City, but have done the most in downtown.

This council race is about who is going to be the best leader and where they are going to focus the most energy.

My endorsement goes to Candice because I think she is a stronger leader; she has helped lead people through the Sandy recovery period; before that she was engaged actively in the flooding solution after Irene hit; and she knows how to motivate and organize people. Everyone finds her easy to work with and I have been floored by her ability to look at a piece of legislation that I feel pretty intimate with and ask pertinent questions that i never though of asking yet given the answers could have a big impact as to whether or not to support the legislation. I like how involved she became in the JCBOE by attending meetings and studying the issues.

Candice will hit the ground running and I will definitely be there to support her in anything she needs.

Judge people on how they have been involved (which I think was done quite well for Dan on this thread and people should not try to down play that); how effective they are in implementing strategies and following through on a project; how effective they are in general; and how good they are at building up grass roots support and keeping people informed.

Judge them on how effective they will be on the dais and listening to their constituents.

I am disappointed in Dan's support of a weak version of the Healy backed P2P reform legislation despite Civic JC and Citizen's Campaign's endorsement of the stronger ordinance that the Mayor then vetoed.

I'm also disappointed in his lack of involvement in the sewers and flooding issue.

These are my issues and aren't shared by everyone. They shouldn't be shared by everyone. So for those who can vote, look closely at all three candidates and make your choice based on what is most important to you.

Posted on: 2013/5/12 14:32
soshin: Mention guns and bd pops up through a hole in the ground like a heavily armed meercat

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2020/9/25 20:40
From somewhere else
Group:
Registered Users
Mr. Fulop had his own rally on the steps of city hall that was at least three times larger. I was at both.

Posted on: 2013/5/12 12:02

Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

Hide User information
Last Login :
2015/4/8 1:12
From Lafayette
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

OneSkirt wrote:
If Healy loses, Dan is going to have a really hard time getting anyone to work with him.

Actually, this is complete BS. Past history has shown Dan has worked with administrations before Healy. Dan worked with Fulop on Pay to Play, and Dan worked with Healy on bicycle lanes.

I suspect Dan will still be here working to make downtown JC better long after Fulop has moved on to other political ambitions too. And this is coming from someone who is voting for Fulop.

Posted on: 2013/5/12 11:38

(1) 2 3 4 ... 12 »

Register To PostTopic is Locked

[Advanced Search]

Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!

LicenseInformation | AboutUs | PrivacyPolicy | Faq | Contact

JERSEY CITY LIST - News & Reviews - Jersey City, NJ - Copyright 2004 - 2017