Register now !    Login  
Main Menu
Who's Online
129 user(s) are online (104 user(s) are browsing Message Forum)

Members: 0
Guests: 129

more...

Browsing this Thread:   1 Anonymous Users

« 1 2 (3) 4 5 6 ... 12 »

Re: Flooding in Jersey City
Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2023/7/17 17:42
From Hamilton Park
Group:
Banned
Quote:

thor800 wrote:
Those garbage bins are a great idea for light rains, but good luck on any sort of flooding event. You would need at least 20 of them in a huge area like a backyard and that is provided there is a distributed drainage system that either fills each of them up equally at the same time or moves once one fills up.

The alert system with the raspberry pi is a great concept. If only the city could set up a similar system which alerts the MUA once the stormwater level gets to critical (errr, if they would actually respond)

Yeah, I ran the numbers and barrels are good for watering plants, but not much else. On a 1000 sq ft roof a 1/2" of rain is 41.6 cu ft, ie 310.41 gallons. I once saw on This Old House they installed what looked like a giant waterbed under a deck that held 650 gallons.

My fig tree is near the drain outlet for my roof, I guess it likes lots of water, it's real happy.

Posted on: 2013/6/3 3:42

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2019/9/4 14:31
Group:
Registered Users
Those garbage bins are a great idea for light rains, but good luck on any sort of flooding event. You would need at least 20 of them in a huge area like a backyard and that is provided there is a distributed drainage system that either fills each of them up equally at the same time or moves once one fills up.

The alert system with the raspberry pi is a great concept. If only the city could set up a similar system which alerts the MUA once the stormwater level gets to critical (errr, if they would actually respond)

Posted on: 2013/6/3 2:12

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2018/2/27 0:25
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

newres242 wrote:
We are thinking of moving to Jersey City (as renters) and though we realize that it is flood prone, want to minimize incurring damage from flooding. We are generally staying away from ground/street level units, and are looking mainly at second or top floor units in brownstones/rowhouses, or units in newly developed mid/high rise buildings.

Two questions:
- from what I understand, during flooding, even higher floor units in rowhouses/brownstones can sustain damage, whether it's water coming through fireplaces, or sewage coming up from the shower drains or toilets. How common is this in higher floor units, and aside from asking owners whether this has happened before, how can we avoid this?
- a lot of what I've read on these forums about flooding seem to be coming from those that are not living in high rises or newer developments. Is it safe to assume that flooding issues don't impact those types of buildings as much (aside from loss of power if it gets really bad, e.g. Sandy)? As much as we want to live in a brownstone as opposed to a newer mid/high rise, if we want to avoid dealing with flooding issues, are newer high rises our best bet?

Thanks in advance for the help!

Yes, the sewage backup problems seem to largely afflict the "historic" homes downtown, and I've never heard of the issue occurring above the basement or ground floor unit. However with an older building you may get leaks from the roof or through the walls on the higher floors when it rains. Not ideal, but I'd take that problem any day over a sewage backup. It's good that you're renting - it's a way to test your tolerance level for issues in certain types of homes before committing to a purchase.

As for newer high rises, some of the ground floor units at 225 Grand did flood during Sandy - especially the side of the building closest to the intersection of Grand & Grove (which can quickly become a pond in a heavy downpour). Just be aware that some of the high rises have other issues. For example, on another JC List thread, there's been discussion of extremely high energy bills at 50 Columbus due to poor insulation.

Good luck in your search!

Posted on: 2013/6/1 15:02

Hide User information
Last Login :
2013/6/9 15:17
Group:
Registered Users
We are thinking of moving to Jersey City (as renters) and though we realize that it is flood prone, want to minimize incurring damage from flooding. We are generally staying away from ground/street level units, and are looking mainly at second or top floor units in brownstones/rowhouses, or units in newly developed mid/high rise buildings.

Two questions:
- from what I understand, during flooding, even higher floor units in rowhouses/brownstones can sustain damage, whether it's water coming through fireplaces, or sewage coming up from the shower drains or toilets. How common is this in higher floor units, and aside from asking owners whether this has happened before, how can we avoid this?
- a lot of what I've read on these forums about flooding seem to be coming from those that are not living in high rises or newer developments. Is it safe to assume that flooding issues don't impact those types of buildings as much (aside from loss of power if it gets really bad, e.g. Sandy)? As much as we want to live in a brownstone as opposed to a newer mid/high rise, if we want to avoid dealing with flooding issues, are newer high rises our best bet?

Thanks in advance for the help!

Posted on: 2013/6/1 14:37

Quite a regular
Quite a regular

Hide User information
Last Login :
2017/12/12 15:06
Group:
Registered Users
About those rain barrels: They are a great idea, we have four.

The Hudson County Improvement Authority will sell them at a discount certain times of the year, however each one we connected split down the sides?so maybe source them elsewhere or build your own.

Posted on: 2013/5/20 4:27

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2023/1/15 1:13
From Leashless Glory.
Group:
Banned
Quote:

SteveWilson29 wrote:
Quote:

ahab wrote:

Also, anyone ever think of harvesting the water we pump out of the ground for garden use?

Considering the oil smell that comes up with the groundwater when it rains a lot, no. I'm connecting my downspout to a garbage can with built in overflow, however.

Pittsburgh makes these available to residents. Hopefully JC can do the same if they don't already.

Resized Image

Posted on: 2013/5/20 1:41

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2015/2/5 16:38
Group:
Banned
Quote:

ahab wrote:

Also, anyone ever think of harvesting the water we pump out of the ground for garden use?

Considering the oil smell that comes up with the groundwater when it rains a lot, no. I'm connecting my downspout to a garbage can with built in overflow, however.

Posted on: 2013/5/19 23:40

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
3/21 23:34
Group:
Registered Users
Part of the reason there is flooding in JC, contractors are pouring concrete down the basin. On St. Paul and Liberty, there are new corners. When they finished the job, the concrete material went down the storm drain. This happens all over JC. More development more concrete down the drain and more flooding. 2

Posted on: 2013/5/19 22:36

Quite a regular
Quite a regular

Hide User information
Last Login :
2017/12/12 15:06
Group:
Registered Users
This looks awesome: Make your own sump pump monitor that texts you when your pump fails. Uses raspberry pi, sonar sensor and your house wifi.

Half thinking I might try it. Sure, it wont work during black-outs, but could give peace of mind when on vacation.

Here's some pics and link.

Resized ImageResized ImageResized Image

Posted on: 2013/5/19 21:10

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2017/6/16 2:51
Group:
Registered Users
thanks! excited to be part of that area - we have friends nearby and they say its actually more neighborly than our current area

Posted on: 2013/5/12 17:59

Hide User information
Last Login :
2013/6/4 12:57
From jersey city
Group:
Registered Users
I lived on 1st and Colgate and it is pretty often. I believe there is a slight slope and ends there. It pretty much is that corner.

Posted on: 2013/5/12 0:29

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2016/3/23 17:09
Group:
Registered Users
I believe that area used to be much worse. The water used to just fall off the turnpike and the rain gutters didn't reach the ground. The Turnpike Authority redid their drainage and created water retention with gravel and sod underneath the turnpike. I don't think any serious flooding in your average rain storm ever reached Colgate.

The lowest point in that area is Division and 6th. Right behind the Healy Tavern. So no, all the fire trucks around Healy's Tavern aren't there for the Tavern. I imagine the Tavern is devastated with every rain storm before the fire truck even get there to clear the major intersection as well as PS 5 and the Fire Station of flood waters.

This is a situation that really needs to be examined as well because all the rain comes down the hill plus along Merceles.

So Newark Ave becomes flooded and then Christopher Columbus underneath the turnpike gets flooded out causing a lot of traffic congestion. However, the water on Newark Ave gets cleared out pretty quickly and it doesn't happen very often.

That's a really nice neighborhood and the Village Neighborhood Association is great, if you don't already belong to it.

Quote:

sillyscorp wrote:
can anyone tell me more about this "lake" on colgate and 1st.... we are moving to colgate and 2nd in a few. We have friends at monmouth and 2nd and never noticed any water issues around there but I guess we never really go around the 1st st way since we currently live in harrismus cove so we come/go from the other direction.

After reading this I went over there to look around yesterday and noticed there was still flowing water at the curb which to me seemed like someone was pumping out or something since the water is pretty much gone from the rain yesterday

I asked a neighbor walking into his house what the story was and he said there was water but then asked where and i said in the house and he said no just the street.

So whats the deal? in heavy rains the street gets flooded w an inch or so? more? every rain? just "bad" storms?

Posted on: 2013/5/11 23:42
soshin: Mention guns and bd pops up through a hole in the ground like a heavily armed meercat

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
Group:
Registered Users
Work on the 10th Street sewer line is set to begin on May 19th. I will be getting another update soon and this should also be posted on the web site of the JCMUA early next week.

For more info about what exactly is being done, you can see the whole consent decree updated last August here:

http://stevenfulop.com/sites/default/ ... onsent-decree-summary.pdf

But here is the section that concerns the work that is going to start on May 19th.

Section 25. Sixth [Seventh, Eighth, Ninth,] & Tenth Streets Cleaning, Lining, and Sewer Replacement (RE-16, 17 & 19) SEE APPENDIX C for the list of pipe reaches to be cleaned and lined.

The cleaning and lining will be utilized to provide increased structural stability for the pipe.

This will improve the pipes flow carrying capacity as well as extend the pipe?s functional life. The method will utilize a cured in place liner. To install this type of liner closed circuit Television inspection of the mains will be done after cleaning to determine the location of sewer laterals and position around the pipe so the liner can be opened up at each lateral to allow the existing flow into the pipe. This work will require bypass pumping, as well as, extensive traffic control.

A portion of this project will also require replacing the sewer mains and manholes between manholes 86 to 84, 84 to 82, 82 to 80 and 92 to 90 on Tenth Street. These sewer pipes and manholes will be removed and replaced.

[NOTE: The JCMUA is obligated per this decree to take care of the 6th and 10th street lines. However, the JCMUA is extending the above project to include 8th, and 9th street. In the previous version of this report, 7th street was also included, but an inspection found 7th to be in good condition. The cleaning, repair, and lining of these lines will increase the flow and capacity down to the regulators, which will ultimately help the surrounding areas. This project will go out to bid next year.]

The anticipated project cost for the 6th and 10th street lines is $550,000 for engineering and $2 million for the construction work.

Posted on: 2013/5/11 23:32
soshin: Mention guns and bd pops up through a hole in the ground like a heavily armed meercat

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2017/6/16 2:51
Group:
Registered Users
can anyone tell me more about this "lake" on colgate and 1st.... we are moving to colgate and 2nd in a few. We have friends at monmouth and 2nd and never noticed any water issues around there but I guess we never really go around the 1st st way since we currently live in harrismus cove so we come/go from the other direction.

After reading this I went over there to look around yesterday and noticed there was still flowing water at the curb which to me seemed like someone was pumping out or something since the water is pretty much gone from the rain yesterday

I asked a neighbor walking into his house what the story was and he said there was water but then asked where and i said in the house and he said no just the street.

So whats the deal? in heavy rains the street gets flooded w an inch or so? more? every rain? just "bad" storms?

Posted on: 2013/5/10 12:26

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2023/11/15 11:50
From Village/HP
Group:
Registered Users
This is a duplicate from the plumbing thread:

I know some people have been asking about plumbers, and I can't recommend Byron enough:

Hutch Mechanical
201-888-4752

He's reasonable, easy to access, and seems to really care about solving your problems. We've used him for sump pumps, toilets, boiler and hot water heaters among the many times we flooded. He came the other day to work on our toilet, in the midst of us dealing with the flooding cleanup. He hung around to see if we needed anything.

When we thought we had issues with our sumps and hot water heater later on, he came that night and fixed our pilot light (thankfully, the only issue) at no charge and then came the next day to check on our pumps. He cleaned them out and they are perfect again.

Posted on: 2013/5/10 1:57

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2018/10/30 19:53
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

fraulein wrote:
What are you looking for? Plumbing? General construction/tiling/etc.? Electric? We have good recos for all :)

Plumbing. We had one local plumber come in, but I think our setup scared them off... Thanks!

Posted on: 2013/5/9 20:51

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
Group:
Registered Users
Did anyone get flooding today ?

Posted on: 2013/5/9 20:44

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
From Village/HP
Group:
Registered Users
What are you looking for? Plumbing? General construction/tiling/etc.? Electric? We have good recos for all :)

Posted on: 2013/5/9 20:01

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2018/10/30 19:53
Group:
Registered Users
We had a mess yesterday, 5th and Jersey. Nothing today.

Fraulein - Who did you use to do your work? do you recommend them?

Posted on: 2013/5/9 19:58

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
From Village/HP
Group:
Registered Users
Althea - I've been emailing you separately about my issue with our neighbor and lack of sump pumps. Thank you and Steve Fulop for your prompt attention to my issue.

I would be interested in hearing how others did with this storm? We've had our share of sagas with flooding in our basement - everything from a few inches to 4+ feet (Irene). We are at 5th and Monmouth. We now believe we finally have a system in place ($20K+) later to manage heavy storms (we would have been A-OK with Sandy had we had a generator), that's why I'm shocked we got water this time and why I believe it was because we are pumping out our neighbor.

How did others do yesterday?

Posted on: 2013/5/9 18:35

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
Group:
Registered Users
How are things for folks today?

Posted on: 2013/5/9 13:14

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2020/8/26 13:40
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

thor800 wrote:
Has Healy done anything whatsoever to address this issue in the past 8 years ?

Hoboken's mayor used today's flooding to go after federal grants.

http://www.nj.com/hudson/index.ssf/20 ... _says_1.html#incart_river

Healy by comparison probably has his head in the toilet at this time.

Posted on: 2013/5/9 4:46

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2023/5/12 21:59
From Harsuimus Cove
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

HTDAD wrote:
Can anyone tell me where the Sandy flood line was in Harismus Cover in the area of 4th St? Seeing a lot of conflicting info on the web and lookinng to move into the area. Thanks!

The water made it about a third of the way up the street just west of Manila, but it never broke the curb.

Posted on: 2013/5/9 0:34

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
Group:
Registered Users
Has Healy done anything whatsoever to address this issue in the past 8 years ?

Posted on: 2013/5/9 0:31

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2019/3/8 17:09
Group:
Registered Users
Healy's crack team of engineers overheard noting you "can't prepare for acts of God"....

Posted on: 2013/5/9 0:05

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
Group:
Registered Users
Did the city anticipate or prepare for this at all ?

Posted on: 2013/5/8 22:44

Hide User information
Last Login :
2013/6/4 12:57
From jersey city
Group:
Registered Users
Lake1st/Colgate has returned for the season.

Posted on: 2013/5/8 21:42

Hide User information
Last Login :
2013/5/9 18:27
Group:
Registered Users
thanks, to be clear West of Manila was dry? 4th and Jersey?

Posted on: 2013/5/8 17:41

Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

Hide User information
Last Login :
2013/9/9 18:52
From Bayside Park
Group:
Registered Users
Resized Image

Posted on: 2013/5/8 17:01

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2022/4/28 22:07
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

HTDAD wrote:
Can anyone tell me where the Sandy flood line was in Harismus Cover in the area of 4th St? Seeing a lot of conflicting info on the web and lookinng to move into the area. Thanks!

manila

Posted on: 2013/5/8 16:30

« 1 2 (3) 4 5 6 ... 12 »

[Advanced Search]

Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!

LicenseInformation | AboutUs | PrivacyPolicy | Faq | Contact

JERSEY CITY LIST - News & Reviews - Jersey City, NJ - Copyright 2004 - 2017